Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭rrs

What were they meant to do?

Show more composure by not losing a player befoe half time would have helped. Silly fouls, might come from lack of sharpness but the games are coming fast so maybe the sharpness will come in next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

rrs wrote: »
    Fermangh deserved the win. Cavan with a lot of work to do.

We were very lucky that shot came back off the post that would have put them 4 points ahead.

At the end we were clueless. We were a point down and Killian Brady had the ball and sends a 40 or 50 yard ball, that went as high as it did forward, into a full forward line that had barely won a high ball all evening.

Hold the ball and work a score. It’s not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Fermanagh were the better team and should’ve had a goal, but if we took a fraction of our chances and if Conroy or Galligan land those late frees, we could’ve snuck a draw. So it’s not all doom and gloom.

Disappointing was that the intensity wasn’t there. We need to realise that as reigning Ulster champions everyone is going to want to knock us down a peg or two.

We now play Derry next week who absolutely annihilated Longford today. Lose that and promotion is gone.

It's true that the teams will want to take Cavan off their perch. That comes with success. Limerick beat Tipperary in the Southern section of the league. I don't think the training for Championship can be used this year though. They have to get out of this Division.

• Advertisement

Cavan_King wrote: »
    We now play Derry next week who absolutely annihilated Longford today. Lose that and promotion is gone.

Longford at home next

Longford at home next

At least that’s something. I thought it was Derry.

How many players under 20 started today? 3? McEvoy, McGovern and Brady?

Very young lads to send out against a hardened Fermanagh team in Brewster.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

At least that’s something. I thought it was Derry.

How many players under 20 started today? 3? McEvoy, McGovern and Brady?

Very young lads to send out against a hardened Fermanagh team in Brewster.

McEvoy?

Yevon wrote: »
    Crazier that we didn't do it when Fermanagh went to 13 men!

The rolling around from Fermanagh is horrible but, to be expected. The ref didn't help things in that regard.

I don't fully accept this "Mickey doesn't care about the league" business. Championship is great but the league form the most of the games we play. Nobody wants to be floating around Division 3. We have a squad there at the moment that should be able for Division 2 at minimum. Fermanagh were far better prepared than Cavan for that game, no excuse for that.

They're back long before Cavan.

McEvoy?

He was named on the Cavan GAA page and I thought I didn’t hear him but the lads on commentary were that bad. Stephen Murray came on and I barely noticed him so wasn’t sure.

• Advertisement

Cavan GAA put up the attached team.

Won’t let me attach but they had McEvoy down as centre half back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

Fermanagh were far better prepared than Cavan for that game, no excuse for that.

Mickley Graham said during the week that Fermanagh had at least 4 challenge games played we had 1 that was a big advantage for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,908 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Hail Mary shots are always going to be in Cavan’s locker it seems.
    Great when they go over but far more often disheartening.
    You don’t have to be long back training (or even training at all) to know that you have to work the ball into better shooting areas. Some brainless stuff in that game tonight.

Just before we get enmeshed in total doom and gloom. Last year we had a smash and grab against Fermanagh with two lucky goals and Fermanagh hitting a rake of wides.

Today they didn’t miss as much, we missed plenty. It’s a local derby and they have weeks preparation and even yet we could have stolen at least a draw.

Disappointing but there’s a game next Saturday to put some of it right.

Conroy's missed free was a blow at that stage in the game too. That should be bread and butter stuff.

He’s never been a high enough percentage scorer to be a county free taker, even at club level.

How many injuries did we have today? Someone mentioned above playing the youngsters was due to injuries but T Galligan was the only one the dreadful commentary mentioned.

What happened there with Ciaran Corrigan getting a black card and Killian Brady getting a yellow. He pulled out a black for Corrigan when it was Brady who pulled him down?

What happened there with Ciaran Corrigan getting a black card and Killian Brady getting a yellow. He pulled out a black for Corrigan when it was Brady who pulled him down?

Corrigan was acting the pup after he scored a point, gloating & getting in the Gunner”s face. He pushed him and Corrigan went down like he was shot (which he did plenty, as did a fair few of the Fermanagh lads who seemed to suffer serious ailments during the game but thankfully all recovered quickly).

He deserved his black card.

It's good value on GAAGO. 25 euro for the domestic pass. Whatever about the commentary, that's decent value.

It's good value on GAAGO. 25 euro for the domestic pass. Whatever about the commentary, that's decent value.

Had many people connection issues? I don’t have fibre, just wireless broadband from Vodafone, so I had to put everyone in the house off Wi-Fi and turn the picture quality down to 320 or something. Before that, it kept freezing.

Mine worked grand. I remember last year for the club championship there was a lot of problems with the stream.

Talk of some crowd allowance from July ,so hopefully won't be relying on stream for club championship this year. Though it's good for people living abroad to see the games

• Advertisement

Mine worked grand. I remember last year for the club championship there was a lot of problems with the stream.

Talk of some crowd allowance from July ,so hopefully won't be relying on stream for club championship this year. Though it's good for people living abroad to see the games

Cavstream worked a treat for me last year. Bursting for a game, but given that I’m not living in Cavan anymore I hope they keep Cavstream going as it means I will be able to see club football that I normally miss.

Commentary aside the GAAGO worked a treat for me and I agree with rrs its deadly value. I watched bits and pieces of other games. The standard of the Longford Derry game made our game look an All Ireland final.

Was watching back over parts of the game earlier.
    Oisin Brady had a nightmare, nothing went right for him.
    Our shooting overall was terrible.
    Interesting to see Martin Reilly having a real go at James Smith after he pushed Donnelly into the face, he knew the red was coming.
    Bringing Stephen Murray on didn't really make sense given how defensively Fermanagh was set up.
    Our high tackling is a real problem, countless frees given away because of arms around the head and neck.
    Mickey Graham should do some public complaining about the treatment Gearoid gets off the ball.

I think our tackling last year was a massive mark up in previous years. Think of the sheer intensity of our tackling in Ulster (especially in the final) and we didn't concede any lazy frees. I agree it was poor on Saturday but to me that is down to rustiness more than anything else.

When you think of how finely tuned we were last year and look at the scores kicked through the championship, i agree our shooting was shocking last weekend. Not only some absolutely atrocious wides, but plenty of instances of people like Gearoid and the Holla passing up chances to shoot from distance that normally they would take without hesitation (which in fairness was the right thing to do rather than cough up possession) but that again will come with game time and hopefully more of that will happen on Saturday night.

I don't agree on bringing Murray on. Pace and power to break lines was definitely something we needed and it always opens up spaces for others. A fully fit Stephen Murray is a massive asset for Cavan. He looked well off the pace though, but good to get some game time in those legs!

James Smith red rescinded but hopefully the panel will have got a good speaking to in terms of discipline.

Red and black cards have cost us in too many matches over the years.

Mickey Graham again appearing to adopt a very laissez-faire attitude to the League but I’m hoping that’s to the media only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

James Smith red rescinded but hopefully the panel will have got a good speaking to in terms of discipline.

Red and black cards have cost us in too many matches over the years.

Mickey Graham again appearing to adopt a very laissez-faire attitude to the League but I’m hoping that’s to the media only.

I though striking or attempting to strike was a red card.

celt262 wrote: »
    I though striking or attempting to strike was a red card.

He pushed him in the neck area apparently. I did think myself watching it, through my fuzzy pixelated picture, that it looked more of a push than a strike.

It’s a warning to players though. Raise your hands at all and it’s a red. Our players need to stop being naive to the dark arts.

No sign of a Cavan team yet but Longford just named their team:

https://twitter.com/officialldgaa/status/1396034191234588673?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

Time to get rid off the water breaks,no need for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭piplip87

If a team finishes level on points is it score difference or a head to head ?

piplip87 wrote: »
    If a team finishes level on points is it score difference or a head to head ?

If two head to head, more than two score difference. Holla and Oisin Kiernan two best players for us in that half.

• Advertisement

In a scenario whereby two teams vying for promotion or battling to avoid relegation are level on points, here is how a tie-break is determined.

The team that won the head-to-head match is ranked first
    If this game was a draw, scoring difference is used to rank the teams
    If scoring difference is identical, the total scores is used to rank the teams
    If this is still identical, a play-off is required

Advertisement