Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

This is a desperate game of football. Unbelievable amount of unforced errors from both teams.

We seem to be persisting with high balls into a full forward line that is winning nothing.

No need to worry about play offs. We won’t beat Derry at this rate. Could be lucky to win today!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

What happened to James Smith?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

tanko wrote: »
    What happened to James Smith?

Bad fall on head after catching throw up.

I missed that. GAA Go went for a few minutes start of second half.

Was he able to walk off the field?

• Advertisement

Was he able to walk off the field?

No stretcher

Cavan down to ten men according to the commentator on GAAGO. Who is that clown?

Cavan down to ten men according to the commentator on GAAGO. Who is that clown?

Saying wrong names whole game. Just kept talking instead of taking a breathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

My gaago was down for a good part of the game
    Probably for the best... Big improvement needed for the derry game or we are in trouble

Saying wrong names whole game. Just kept talking instead of taking a breathe.

He didn’t seem to be able to fathom the difference between Oisin Kiernan & Oisin Pierson at all.

He also kept mispronouncing Patrick as Partick.

Alas lads, we’re in trouble for Derry next week.

• Advertisement

Cavan_King wrote: »
    He didn’t seem to be able to fathom the difference between Oisin Kiernan & Oisin Pierson at all.

He also kept mispronouncing Patrick as Partick.

Alas lads, we’re in trouble for Derry next week.

He called Patrick, Fergal at one stage and said we were down to ten men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭rrs

Derry are a solid team all over from Chrissy McKeigue , to Emmet Bradley and Conor Glass in midfield and Shane McGuigan in the full forward line. They will be a good test next week.

Cavan have been stuttering in the 2 games, some bits of good play from McGovern inside, Conor Smith when introduced was decent. Oisin Kiernan and Brady from half back showed the usual drive.

Surprised by comments about the full forward line. I thought it was largely ineffective. Conor Smith managed more points in 15 minutes than Pierson, Lynch or McGovern.

I don’t understand why there’s a sudden rush to blood these U20s - McGovern, Oisin Brady, Cian Reilly, Sean McEvoy - some of them have barely played senior for their clubs.

Poor McEvoy came on this evening and I think he touched the ball once. It’s a big ask for lads of his age to jump into senior inter county games.

All while established players with experience like Conroy & Niall Murray were left warming the bench.

Not to mention Simon Cadden, I think he’s been in there since Mickey started and barely featured other than a McKenna Cup game.

There still is a problem with your ff line. Oisin Kiernan one of your top scorers from centre back and holla will always pop up. We are missing a four or five points a game corner forward still.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

Yevon wrote: »
    If they were being thrown in and were out of their depth I'd say it was a mistake but I think McGovern has had two respectable performances and Cian Reilly was good today. I don't think it's any harm to get them some game time and get them used to this level. They're being fed into the team with lots of experience around them.

Are all those lads with the U20s? Sounds like it has the makings of a good side.

They can't be in both squads though AFAIK its senior or U20 maybe someone might correct me if I'm wrong.

I think we are goosed now in relation to promotion its going to take some effort to beat Derry.

If they were being thrown in and were out of their depth I'd say it was a mistake but I think McGovern has had two respectable performances and Cian Reilly was good today. I don't think it's any harm to get them some game time and get them used to this level. They're being fed into the team with lots of experience around them.

Are all those lads with the U20s? Sounds like it has the makings of a good side.

Is it developing them though? Cormac Reilly & Oisin Pierson were pulled out of the 20s two years ago and it doesn’t appear to have worked out for them as neither are now regular starters.

Plus you’re weakening your U20 team for the rest of the players on it by taking their most talented squad members.

You’re attempting to get them used to intercounty senior before they’ve even played senior club consistently. It was actually a Killygarry man complained to me that you’ve two young Killygarry lads there with less than ten senior club appearances he reckons between them expected to step up to intercounty level. Was that fair on Oisin Brady last week? Didn’t appear to be. McEvoy can’t have learned much today and I’d disagree about McGovern - not much noteworthy unless you’re clutching at straws IMO.

Cian Reilly was indeed good today but he was playing against a very weak Longford team. The unforced errors by them at times were juvenile stuff.

Send those lads out against a seasoned and wily Tyrone team and we’re in big trouble.
    celt262 wrote: »
    They can't be in both squads though AFAIK its senior or U20 maybe someone might correct me if I'm wrong.

I think we are goosed now in relation to promotion its going to take some effort to beat Derry.

It can depend on when the games are but I do believe it’s generally one or the other.

Derry are flying and I’ll be shocked to see us get a result. I saw them two years ago in Croke Park and, whilst it was against Leitrim, their forward line looked a lot more potent than ours and they’ve added Conor Glass to it now too.

Whilst I think we are better than Division 3, it’s a bit like last season, if we couldn’t beat Clare at home, we had no basis to expect promotion back to Division 1 and, if we couldn’t beat Fermanagh, we have no right to expect it back to Division 2.

Look what Derry did to Fermanagh today and Fermanagh will hammer Longford next week. Even if we shocked Derry, you could go out on score difference.

McGovern is still 18, not 19 until August. He gave a decent account of himself and showed good work rate tackling,, faded out of the game but he still has to develop physically.
    He should really be within the u 20s realistically , same with a few others.

If Cavan miss out on a Semi final Place it would be disappointing but would be a follow up from last years poor league.

And the going for the championship can't be used again . Every game should be taken on its own merit

I'm not sure if you're mistaking McEvoy for someone else but he was on the ball several times in the last 10-15 minutes of the game. It was his first appearance I think you're setting the bar a bit high for him.
    McGovern being solid is not grasping at straws in the slightest. He won most everything kicked into him, kicked a nice score. It's his third appearance for Cavan and he's a teenager, nothing to be sniffed at.

I would like to see as strong an U20 side as possible purely because I would love to see a Cavan team going on a good run in Ulster. But will it matter much to their development? Potentially one competitive game. Compared to the experience gained in playing Senior games for Cavan. Pierson has started plenty of games for Cavan including yesterday, he's played in an Ulster Final and has an Ulster medal. James Smith was in the same group and he's now first choice midfielder.

For us to miss out on score difference would Fermanagh not need to beat Longford by the same as we did, plus enough to cover what Derry beat them by?

If we beat Derry we will be ok, Fermanagh will probably need a 25+ win to get us on that.

I'm not sure if you're mistaking McEvoy for someone else but he was on the ball several times in the last 10-15 minutes of the game. It was his first appearance I think you're setting the bar a bit high for him.
    McGovern being solid is not grasping at straws in the slightest. He won most everything kicked into him, kicked a nice score. It's his third appearance for Cavan and he's a teenager, nothing to be sniffed at.

I would like to see as strong an U20 side as possible purely because I would love to see a Cavan team going on a good run in Ulster. But will it matter much to their development? Potentially one competitive game. Compared to the experience gained in playing Senior games for Cavan. Pierson has started plenty of games for Cavan including yesterday, he's played in an Ulster Final and has an Ulster medal. James Smith was in the same group and he's now first choice midfielder.

For us to miss out on score difference would Fermanagh not need to beat Longford by the same as we did, plus enough to cover what Derry beat them by?

I had a fuzzy picture alright but I don’t remember McEvoy being on the ball several times. McGovern was in a full forward line that I saw as our weakest area on the pitch. No harm against the young lad - he’s one for the future which doesn’t mean he’s ready now.

Pierson has not cemented a place as a regular starter for Cavan. I think he started one Ulster game last year.

Why is there a need to pluck these lads and start to develop them now though? How about we focus on the here and now and not the future in Cavan for once.

I’m more interested in developing lads in their early 20s like Conor Smith, TE Donohoe, David Brady, Danny Cusack, Caoimhin Reilly, Patrick Lynch & James Smith than plucking lads from the U20s that aren’t ready for Ulster championship football. Those lads have proven themselves in club football.

Ger Brennan was asked on The GAA Hour why Dublin aren’t throwing their U20 star Archer into the senior team and he gave an interesting response - he needs to prove himself in club football.

We’ve two Killygarry lads in there that are U20 and couldn’t win a championship game last year, even when they had the nugget of a QF berth to win against a Lacken team with nothing to play for.

It will be interesting to see if Derry stick with a winning team for momentum, or rest players because they are in the Semis.. It's a short season so they might want keep the winning run leading up to the Semi final..

https://twitter.com/i/status/1396217812469829642

• Advertisement

Will Thomas Galligan and Gerard Smith be back soon?

Will Thomas Galligan and Gerard Smith be back soon?

Mickey Graham said that Thomas Galligan could have played vs Fermanagh but they didn’t want to risk him. Then the We Are Cavan lads had it that he wasn’t ready for the Longford game so it’s very hard to know.

Jaysus I'm confused with this format, who actually gets promoted? Top of each group or 2 finalists!

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Jaysus I'm confused with this format, who actually gets promoted? Top of each group or 2 finalists!

Finalists and bottom 2 into relegation playoff

Thanks, so both losers of relegation semis are relegated... Dodgy territory to be in
    It'll be easier just to beat derry and hope Longford beat fermanagh next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

My GAAGO app was acting the scut on Saturday so I missed a fair bit of the first half, so rewatched the game in full last night.

Definite progress in terms of sharpness and the work rate in the second half particularly was more impressive. Long way to go yet, but encouraging signs all the same. A couple of lads are still well below par. I'm probably one of his biggest fans, but the Holla for me wasn't near where he was last year (understandably) but he looked in real distress when he went down and I hope that's not long-term ligament damage. Either way there's no chance he will be playing next weekend- possibly a chance for Gerry Smith to come back in or Timoney to put a marker down? Hope it's not an injury that will keep him out of the Tyrone game as he's one of our real leaders on the field.

Thought Smith had a decent first half and likewise I hope it's nothing serious. But if there is concussion, it is hard to see him lining out next week.

In an aside about the debuting the younger players, I am a bit mystified. We've got awful previous in GAA about young fellas not being ready. Other elite sports throw them in and see whether they can make it. Andre Quinn made that point as well. I like the look of Lynch. He has all the attributes to succeed and has an nice swagger about some of his play. Mc Govern has kicked three points in two games and has been involved in setting up a few more. He's showing for ball, winning almost all that comes his way and hasn't kicked an atrocious amount of wides (one against Longford, one against Fermanagh from memory). He might not start against Tyrone, but there's no point throwing him or Lynch on against Tyrone when they haven't even been tested during the league.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Is it developing them though? Cormac Reilly & Oisin Pierson were pulled out of the 20s two years ago and it doesn’t appear to have worked out for them as neither are now regular starters.

Derry are flying and I’ll be shocked to see us get a result. I saw them two years ago in Croke Park and, whilst it was against Leitrim, their forward line looked a lot more potent than ours and they’ve added Conor Glass to it now too.

Look what Derry did to Fermanagh today and Fermanagh will hammer Longford next week. Even if we shocked Derry, you could go out on score difference.

1. Think that is harsh on Pierson. He was probably our best forward in the league last year pre-Covid, had really upped his game in terms of work rate. Scored a vital goal against Monaghan and picked an injury up in that game which effectively ruled him out of all the other games. I'm not saying he's there yet, and he clearly looked well off the pace yesterday but has clearly developed over the last 2 years.

2. While Derry have battered two teams in Division 3, all of a sudden people are making them out to be the Dubs or Kerry. They clearly have more work done that anyone else in the league but by your account we probably shouldn't show up next Saturday.

3. Fermanagh will in my mickey hammer Longford. They will no doubt win (they are always strong in Brewster and generally poor away from home) but the idea that they will run up a cricket score against anyone is laughable. They don't have that sort of firepower or play that sort of game. If we beat Derry (and we should be aiming to do that), that will be enough for us.

Ciarain Brady did his cruciate according to my unoffical source.

celt262 wrote: »
    Ciarain Brady did his cruciate according to my unoffical source.

Feck. He looked in agony and my fear was ligament damage.

He will be a massive loss for the season if true.

• Advertisement

Feck. He looked in agony and my fear was ligament damage.

He will be a massive loss for the season if true.

He has been one of the best players the last few years and will be very hard to replace we need a few lads to step up now.

Advertisement