Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

celt262 wrote: »
    Ciarain Brady did his cruciate according to my unoffical source.

Oh crap, that’s terrible news if true. It looked really bad at the time tho, i thought he had gone over on his ankle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

tanko wrote: »
    Oh crap, that’s terrible news if true. It looked really bad at the time tho, i thought he had gone over on his ankle.

That was my initial reaction. Thought ankle ligaments. Didn’t look good, he’s a warrior and he was in agony.

Let’s hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Ah no that's terrible he was our most consistent player last year, really took games by the scruff of the neck and dragged us over the line
    Speedy recovery holla

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭rrs

It would be a huge loss for his driving runs and leadership. Always reliable for a score or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Shame about Ciaran Brady. Arguably next in line for an All Star last year if Cavan had to get a fourth. I'll always remember the Kerry game in 2019 and their fans raving about him at half time. Their players must have noticed him too because he duly had to go off fairly lively into the second half!

Nice to see our game is on TG4 this weekend so we can escape the dreadful commentary and those of us with a poor internet connection will get a bit less fuzzy of a view.

I think I'll try to sync the Northern Sound app with the picture as best I can and watch it like that.

• Advertisement

Yevon wrote: »
    Heart goes out to Ciaran Brady. That's a terrible blow for a fantastic servant. Hard to understate what a blow it is to the team as well. He is one of the key driving forces in that side. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

Depth of the squad will really be put to the test now. Brady, Gerry Smith, Galligan and James Smith (apparently) all out now. The Derry task looking tougher and tougher.

Short-term, i think we have enough in reserve in the half back line, notwithstanding the Holla will be a massive loss (even though he wasn't firing on all cylinders yet, he would be one of our key leaders in the summer). Kiernan, Fortune and say Timoney or Cian Reilly.

More concerned with midfield for the weekend if no Thomas Galligan or James Smith. Might have to move Faulkner out there or Gearoid and both are more than able of doing a brilliant job there, but I would prefer them in the current roles. A lot of pressure on Conor Brady and he's only back from a long lay off.

Midfield is definitely a worry. If we can't compete well at midfield it will mean a high press will be ineffective and we may end up retreating back and inviting Derry on. Not a good idea given the scores they are racking up.
    I dont think we can afford to take Faulkner from the full back line. He is probably the man to pick up McGuigan. Leave Conor Brady and Gearoid out there to compete and sacrifice Martin Reilly playing inside to give us an edge on any breaking ball in the middle.

I'd imagine we might see Madden start inside. Hopefully he can find a bit of scoring form.

I expect to see Conor Smith start as one of the corner forwards. My expectation is that they are managing his playing time given his injury record and that is why he only came on last weekend.

Is there room for both Madden & Lynch to play inside? Too similar players I would have thought.

Could be right about Smith, particularly after his cameo last week. But maybe his skills could be better put to use later in the game when defenders tire? His starting appearances haven't been hugely impressive. Partially due to the way our inside forwards seem to be coached to win the ball and recycle.

I wouldn't have thought Madden and Lynch too similar. Both big men but Madden is faster with better feet and has a streak of unpredictability. Lynch is a bit more casual and languid.

Pretty much all our options inside at the moment are a mix of the inconsistent and unproven.

Conor Smith would offer something different. I think Graham rates him and Conor Brady highly or they wouldn't have been straight back into the team after so long out last season (Brady didn't start I know but had been out for months and was still parachuted in to come on in the All Ireland semi final).

The problem with Smith is getting him fit and into a run of games. He's arguably the best corner forward in club football in the county on his day but he has been too injury prone. He needs to consistently get onto the pitch first to be able to consistently perform on it!

Lynch is also proven at club level so I think the two of them are well worth their place in the FF line to give them a run of games.

If Gearoid moves to midfield, you could see Madden start but drop out onto the 40. He has been fulfilling that role a bit for Gowna where he'd linger between the half and full forward lines.

Chrissy Mckeigue and Brendan Rogers were in the full back for Derry in the last 2 games. They are 2 good markers.

I think whoever is playing inside for Cavan ,won't have it easy if they are playing.

Conor Smith showed good pace against Dublin, but fumbled a few balls under pressure. . He was promising last week which will give him confidence..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Big day today, let's hope the lads leave it all out there
    I really hope we show up and start to take some of the chances we've been missing the last couple of games
    I really fear being in a relegation semi and hope our players are of the same mindset

• Advertisement

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Big day today, let's hope the lads leave it all out there
    I really hope we show up and start to take some of the chances we've been missing the last couple of games
    I really fear being in a relegation semi and hope our players are of the same mindset

No matter what is said to lads before a game, if they know the manager isn’t taking a competition seriously, it’s in their heads. You look at teams who have played under Kevin McDonnell, for example, over the years. A championship manager who doesn’t value League.

You had Denn making senior finals from League Division 3 because it was made clear that was their priority. Lavey making senior semi finals from Division 2.

Good to see O’Connell come in because he’s at least a proven club player. I’d hope he does start as he’s looked a definite intercounty player when I’ve seen him and has good club experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Terrible start... They are far fitter and faster.. We seem to be keeping this tactic of ballooning in high balls when we don't have a target man in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭piplip87

Very lucky to be in touch here. Derry are a serious side going forward. Haven't seem them this good since Big Geoffrey came on in Breffni about 20 years ago.

Really upped the tempo, since the water break, great to see..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

piplip87 wrote: »
    Very lucky to be in touch here. Derry are a serious side going forward. Haven't seem them this good since Big Geoffrey came on in Breffni about 20 years ago.

Strange game. Derry have been comfortably the better side but Cavan are now 3 points up! Hope they kick on from here now.

EDIT - level now.

Johner wrote: »
    Strange game. Derry have been comfortably the better side but Cavan are now 3 points up! Hope they kick on from here now.

EDIT - level now.

Derry are a tad over confident. Plenty of 3 or four easy points not taken because they went for goals. The only worry been is one or two of them come off in the second half.

Did I see Tommy Galligan on the sideline in a bib?

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Did I see Tommy Galligan on the sideline in a bib?

Who is on the bench?

We can't get close to their forwards, They are just far too slick and fast. I'm hoping it's because we are in the middle of a heavy training block, because Derry being fit to train collectively 3/4 weeks before us, is no excuse for the difference in speed and fitness.

Could be Longford doing Cavan a favour, 2 ahead v Fermanagh..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

Hammar wrote: »
    We can't get close to their forwards, They are just far too slick and fast. I'm hoping it's because we are in the middle of a heavy training block, because Derry being fit to train collectively 3/4 weeks before us, is no excuse for the difference in speed and fitness.

Why is every saying they started training before us as a excuse in every match,to many stupid wife's and take lynch of the frees

soap1978 wrote: »
    Why is every saying they started training before us as a excuse in every match,to many stupid wife's and take lynch of the frees

Derry have ran through us multiple times, had two goal chances, we can't get close enough to them to lay a hand on their forwards, that has nothing to do with wides and Lynch missing frees... They are far fitter than us...

Derry look primed for the league. Where as Mickey couldn't give a monkeys about it. I've no doubt his mind is firmly fixed for Tyrone.

I'd be taking league results with a pinch of salt. If the league was in its normal format I'd be fairly confident of beating all teams in the South division.

Interesting to see if the come from behind attitude is still there for these last 15 minutes

Hammar wrote: »
    Derry have ran through us multiple times, had two goal chances, we can't get close enough to them to lay a hand on their forwards, that has nothing to do with wides and Lynch missing frees... They are far fitter than us...

Then if there far fitter,that goes down to management,why is cavans fittest not up to that level,its still no excuse

Jesus I can't hack that talk of concentrating on championship. focus on the here and now
    To compete with teams like Tyrone regularly they need to be playing in a higher Division

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Then if there far fitter,that goes down to management,why is cavans fittest not up to that level,its still no excuse

Or lockdown lifting earlier in North.

Or lockdown lifting earlier in North.

That's all bull,if we are playing div 4 next year there are no excuses,Donegal beat Tyrone,how do u explain that

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

That's all bull,if we are playing div 4 next year there are no excuses,Donegal beat Tyrone,how do u explain that

Still a fact

rrs wrote: »
    Jesus I can't hack that talk of concentrating on championship. focus on the here and now
    To compete with teams like Tyrone regularly they need to be playing in a higher Division

I’d agree but the problem is the man who counts doesn’t. Like I said before the game, no matter what he says to the players, that is in the back of their mind. He’s a Championship manager.

• Advertisement

Still a fact

Not at all,it's a excuse and that's why cavan won't move forward,we should be walking that division,no excuses,it shows that Ulster was a fluke

Advertisement