Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Wicklow in two weeks. Tipp play Longford in the other relegation play off.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,908 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Cavan were very poor. Derry should have won by more. Their forwards ran through the Cavan defence at will.
    The Cavan fouling when they needed scores was brainless as was letting the No.14 continue kick frees wide instead of changing the kicker. Was it 4 in a row very scoreable frees he missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭rrs

GAA return was permitted on April 12 in the North. Inter County return for Republic and North was the 19th.
    Only a week of a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Wicklow in two weeks. Tipp play Longford in the other relegation play off.

Are the two winners safe and the two losers relegated to Div 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

tanko wrote: »
    Are the two winners safe and the two losers relegated to Div 4?

Yes and thank god we got Wicklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

rrs wrote: »
    GAA return was permitted on April 12 in the North. Inter County return for Republic and North was the 19th.
    Only a week of a difference

The North had time to play way more challenge games.

The North had time to play way more challenge games.

Gasping at straws,it division 3,there are no excuses,lynch miss easy frees today, hopefully with the midfield back against Tyrone we will be stronger and Mickey has a great record in the championship,so we will wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,908 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Cavan need to unearth a proper free taker.
    You can’t afford to miss such easy frees.
    It was the difference in the end even if Derry were the better team on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Yes you will probably beat us in 2 weeks but we are both in the relegation final for a reason.

Yevon wrote: »
    Cavan have a freetaker in good form but he was inexplicably left standing in goals as Lynch kicked wides because of some arbitrary rule they have on who kicks frees from where.

The second half was depressing. The lazy high tackling, complete lack of threat up front. The goal took the bad look off things but Derry were much better than us.

Dont know how Paddy Lynch managed to stay on. Came out the field and fouled continually. Stephen Murray looks to have lost a yard of pace. Not nearly the threat he was a couple of years ago. Niall's injury has also taken its toll.

So Wicklow... I think we should be able to take care of them and survive without too much fuss. If we go to Healy Park and get a trimming from Tyrone it will have been a very depressing year.

Mickey is hanging a lot on the Tyrone game. I don’t think I’d have his faith.

Our forward line looks toothless. Conor Smith poor when he came on and Lynch aptly described in your post. They’re two of your best forwards in Cavan club football.

Caoimhin Reilly perhaps needs to be the great white light some have built him up to be.

There’s something wrong when we have Oisin Kiernan, a back by trade generally, shooting repeatedly.

• Advertisement

Our forward line looks toothless. Conor Smith poor when he came on and Lynch aptly described in your post. They’re two of your best forwards in Cavan club football.

Caoimhin Reilly perhaps needs to be the great white light some have built him up to be.

There’s something wrong when we have Oisin Kiernan, a back by trade generally, shooting repeatedly.

I said it before. Too many of our scores come from half back line. Need an inside player to shoot lights out every game

That's true. Though I thought in the past the half backs were slow to release it inside, and maybe have a shot quicker then kick it inside.

The balls going into Shane McGuigan were really good, and he showed the value of a top inside forward.

Lynch and McGovern can be good inside players, just will take a while to develop.

That's true. Though I thought in the past the half backs were slow to release it inside, and maybe have a shot quicker then kick it inside.

The balls going into Shane McGuigan were really good, and he showed the value of a top inside forward.

Lynch and McGovern can be good inside players, just will take a while to develop.

Oisin Kiernan a lovely kick passer. Kicked two great in last week but was Jayo on end of. McGovern needs to bulk up.

Niall McDermott had a really good championship last year with Ballinagh. He was asked in asaik,but couldn't commit.
    But he would have been the type of ball winning forward inside that would help.

Madden hasn't got going yet this year .

It's asking a bit much of McGovern to be the saviour inside. He's not 19 until August.
    Tyrone with Darragh Canavan let him concentrate with the u20s.

I think McGovern can be a good player, he's obviously still very light and has to bulk up. He has a good skillset, comfortable off either foot and a good size. Problem with Cavan is there isn't many options so they have to play him.

It's asking a bit much of McGovern to be the saviour inside. He's not 19 until August.
    Tyrone with Darragh Canavan let him concentrate with the u20s.

I think McGovern can be a good player, he's obviously still very light and has to bulk up. He has a good skillset, comfortable off either foot and a good size. Problem with Cavan is there isn't many options so they have to play him.

They’ve spent two years working with Oisin Pierson & Cormac Reilly. Keep working with them and give McGovern time to develop.

Maybe Mickey shouldn’t have been so quick to discard Seanie or he should be approaching Martin Dunne or Shane Tierney.

Pierson was very good last year before Covid. The Clare game was a poor performance but he was the only real forward that looked athreat. Scored a good goal against Monaghan then took a took.

Has Cormanc Reilly been listed on the panel for the last few games?

Pierson was very good last year before Covid. The Clare game was a poor performance but he was the only real forward that looked athreat. Scored a good goal against Monaghan then took a took.

Has Cormanc Reilly been listed on the panel for the last few games?

Cormac Reilly wasn’t listed yesterday.

Danny Cusack hasn’t made a match panel which I can’t understand considering we’ve had opposition forwards run riot in matches and Cusack is the best man marker at club level in the county.

He can’t have done a worse job on McGuigan yesterday than Faulkner did.

If the Tailtean Cup is back in place next year, Cavan will be playing in it bar another miraculous Ulster title.

Watching Dublin playing Galway on TG4, it would be 2024 at the earliest, before Cavan have another crack at Division 1 level which is a shame.

If the Tailtean Cup is back in place next year, Cavan will be playing in it bar another miraculous Ulster title.

Watching Dublin playing Galway on TG4, it would be 2024 at the earliest, before Cavan have another crack at Division 1 level which is a shame.

I’d love to see an interview where Mickey actually gave away something.

Did he think we had enough to get promoted from Div 3 playing the lads he did?
    Have we been training hard or why the poor performances?
    Why are players like Caoimhin Reilly not making match day panels?
    Who are the injured players?
    Who is the panel?
    How many players on the panel?
    There’s plenty more it’d be interesting to see him comment on.

At the minute, the year is looking like a huge disappointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Wicklow will envelop Cavan in a cocoon of horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Good old fashioned Cavan doom and gloom. It's almost like last year didn't happen!

As pointed out by Yevon, we haven't had a stellar full forward since Jelly. We had a brief period where Dunne and Keating flourished but our better successes were the likes of Keating or Galligan when in there as a target bringing in others. Our best forward in the last few years was McVeety and he only ended up there by accident in a league game against Donegal when McGleenan seemed to pulling positions out of thin air (am pretty certain he had Enda Flanagan at corner back one day :))

Lynch looked impressive against Fermanagh and in spells against Longford. Didn't have a good day at the office against a much stronger Derry side but he will learn from that.

Is Madden carrying a knock? For me, he is that ticks all those boxes but he's frustratingly inconsistent. He is massively talented but was anonymous on Saturday. Given some of his performances last winter I was really hoping he would kick on this year.

I think for once we are entitled to show some faith in the management team!

2016 led Mullinaleachta to their first Longford title in 66 years.
    2017 won it a 2nd time.
    2018 won it a 3rd time. Won their first ever Leinster title.
    2019 took Cavan to our first Ulster final in 17 years.
    2020 won us our first Ulster in 23 years.

It suggests that Mickey Graham might have some clue about this management malarkey. Yes, it is frustrating we didn't get a chance to be promoted (I think we would beat Offaly, but unless Fermanagh are at home I don't think they will).

The Northern teams were sharper but even though we were asleep for the first 10 minutes in the first half and the opening 15 of the second half, when we upped the intensity we went close. Definite signs of getting sharper.

We will be there or there abouts come July.

Overall 2 of the Northern teams are in relegation play offs. Armagh and Down. Fermanagh needed a last minute score by Quigley to get semi final spot against Longford.
    They had the edge but not too much.

The championship game against Tyrone played on a firm ground, will be a different test to playing Donegal last November. Tyrone have a lot of pace ,but it's up to the management to have a game plan in place for July and see if the attack can function

Yevon wrote: »
    I think the problem in our full forward line is a complicated one. We don't produce top quality natural inside forwards. I haven't seen an inside forward as good as McGuigan line out for Cavan since.. I don't know when. Seanie in 2008 perhaps.

As someone said above, Paddy Lynch and Conor Smith are two of the top forwards in the county and they can't make much headway. Winning ball out in front, turning their man or engineering themselves enough space to get a shot away consistently just isn't something they look like they can do against intercounty defenders. If they were given 3 years consistent game time at this level would they get to the top level? I'm doubtful. And this is exacerbated by the way we play, our inside forwards aren't intended to be on the end of the majority of our scores.

There's no easy answer but it can't be to continually pick good club forwards, give them a run for a season or half a season, drop them when we struggle and turn to a makeshift forward line using our better players from out the field.

The only player since Jelly that has shown flashes of being that sort of player is Caoimhin O'Reilly. His debut Vs Tipperary he showed that he could be that sort of player and we got glimpses of that in the league under McGlennan.

I could never fathom how he was hooked in practically every league game by said manager (but in fairness I struggled to comprehend many of his selections and tactical changes) and he was visibly unimpressed in being taken off in some games.

Anyways, he's not had much luck with injuries- i may be right in thinking that he was only coming back and got minutes against Armagh in the replay and opted out last year (in retrospect I am sure he regrets that).

I think he has a knock at the moment but you would be hoping he gets some game time in the Wicklow game as i think everyone can see his potential at club level and we need to see whether he can step up at county level.

I heard Mickey Graham was unimpressed with a few players fitness when they returned after lockdown, and maybe the reason why some haven't featured. Liam Buchanan I think was 1.

Maybe Caoimhin O Reilly has a knock,or you'd be hoping he has. because if they plan to use him against Tyrone he surely would have featured by now. Wicklow might not be enough to gauge

I heard Mickey Graham was unimpressed with a few players fitness when they returned after lockdown, and maybe the reason why some haven't featured. Liam Buchanan I think was 1.

Maybe Caoimhin O Reilly has a knock,or you'd be hoping he has. because if they plan to use him against Tyrone he surely would have featured by now. Wicklow might not be enough to gauge

Buchanan and Paul Graham are no longer with the panel according to the We Are Cavan lads. They were recently discussing the lack of midfield options given how those lads are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

Buchanan and Paul Graham are no longer with the panel according to the We Are Cavan lads. They were recently discussing the lack of midfield options given how those lads are gone.

Id have Buchan in ahead of Argue.

what about mcgee for mullagh to play midfield,is he on the panel

• Advertisement

soap1978 wrote: »
    what about mcgee for mullagh to play midfield,is he on the panel

McGhee was also mentioned as being gone. They didn't make any comment re the other Cuchulainns man Doughty.

Advertisement