Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

The way I see it with Dunne is this. Hes small and light and there will be days were he will be physically bullied and you have to accept that. Add that to the fact that he generally scores a few but misses a few. The way I seen it last Sat was he wasnt getting on the ball. If he was on the ball a lot and was missing chances I would more than likely have left him on....strange as that may seem because he is always likely to get one and then the confidence kicks in. But he wasnt getting on the ball, so I would have liked to have seen Tierney given 15 mins or so. He would have brought something else to the table, definitely wouldnt have been bullied, and in terms of Monaghan, he would be a relative unknown quantity to them.

Talking to one of the players this week, he was more disappointed that Cavan let Monaghan into the game, than anything else, although it was pretty obvious he was upset with the last minute decision to let the keeper take a mini hike with the ball.

Anyway, lets home we can regroup and make home advantage count against Fermanagh

Is Tierney not playing in the half back line for Ballyhaise though this year? I saw mention of it in the Celt one week.

I agree Dunne is liable to be pushed around and, before this year, I was as big a critic of his as anyone's but the game was never drifting away from us that we needed to make drastic changes.

Dunne was still our top scorer and in a tight game like that, where there's constantly a point in it, he's the man will get that point. He did it against Fermanagh two weeks before and, in fairness to the lad, his confidence doesn't seem to drop after a few misses.

I still think we need to sort out a regular free taker. Niall McDermott took two fantastic frees so he should be taking more if you ask me. I was also impressed with Gilsenen's free at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Lemlin wrote: »
    Is Tierney not playing in the half back line for Ballyhaise though this year? I saw mention of it in the Celt one week.

I agree Dunne is liable to be pushed around and, before this year, I was as big a critic of his as anyone's but the game was never drifting away from us that we needed to make drastic changes.

Dunne was still our top scorer and in a tight game like that, where there's constantly a point in it, he's the man will get that point. He did it against Fermanagh two weeks before and, in fairness to the lad, his confidence doesn't seem to drop after a few misses.

I still think we need to sort out a regular free taker. Niall McDermott took two fantastic frees so he should be taking more if you ask me. I was also impressed with Gilsenen's free at the end.

It looks like McD takes them from one side and Dunne from the other. Dunne has not been reliable so would have no problem with Mackey taking them, as I believe he is free taker for his club. No idea where Tiernet plays at club football but he is a natural forward. I see the point re Dunne being top scorer etc, but I felt he was just a passenget at times on Sat. And there was one ball into him where he had a yard or two advantage on his man, and the corner back coasted past him as if he wasnt there. McGuinness wont take off McFadden, but hes proven at the top level, and he wont be bullied. Dunne is a novice at this level, and is liable to be bullied by anyone. That was the case against Monaghan and he should have been replaced. He could even have been taken off and come back on

No team named and only 48 hours to the game.

Unusual for this year as Hyland has been naming his teams on Tuesday nights for Championship games but apparently a good few lads are carrying knocks.

Rory Dunne appears to be the latest casualty. McEnroe should be back I'm hearing. As should Jack Brady.

Mossie Corr should also be nearing fitness but I can't see him starting. A real pity because his physicality has been badly missing if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Still no sign of a team but all sorts off stories about injuries which may explain the delay in naming the team - or is Terry playing Canavan at his own game.

Vital that Rory Dunne is fit and starting - has been immense all year - its going to be tight and I won't be surprised if it goes to extra time tomorrow night.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Still no sign of a team but all sorts off stories about injuries which may explain the delay in naming the team - or is Terry playing Canavan at his own game.

Vital that Rory Dunne is fit and starting - has been immense all year - its going to be tight and I won't be surprised if it goes to extra time tomorrow night.

I think the main problem is that Canavan has the benefit of the Monaghan game. Monaghan kept Keating and Dunne tightly marshalled and Canavan knows exactly what he needs to do now. The two of them were getting the lion's share of Cavan's scores so there's a problem if they don't perform.

The other forward we'd rely on is Jack Brady but he hasn't been right all year if you ask me. He's badly in need of a rest. He's been involved with the U21s and seniors for three years straight now, plus club football with Ramor and Sigerson and freshers football with DCU.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few changes tomorrow night. Mark McKeever may start for what could be his last game in a Cavan jersey if the rumours I'm hearing are true.

Seen as we have no team selection to talk about and nothings leaking out of the camp... will leave this hear - one of the funniest things I've seen in a while...

http://balls.ie/gaa/ollie-murphy-v-larry-reilly-for-the-terry-phelan-hall-of-fame/

My personal favourites... as to why Larry was better than Ollie Murphy, Pele and Maradona. :D:D

Larry Reilly defies physics, no man weighing fifteen stone could be that fast.

There’d be no point in ringing Maradona if you had a pipe leaking.

Larry Reilly says shin gaurds are for babies.

You always hear players being branded ’the new Maradona’, or ’the new Pele’. You’ll never hear anyone being called ’the new Larry’. You know why?…Because there’ll only ever be one Larry Reilly. -

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

I think the main problem is that Canavan has the benefit of the Monaghan game. Monaghan kept Keating and Dunne tightly marshalled and Canavan knows exactly what he needs to do now. The two of them were getting the lion's share of Cavan's scores so there's a problem if they don't perform.

The other forward we'd rely on is Jack Brady but he hasn't been right all year if you ask me. He's badly in need of a rest. He's been involved with the U21s and seniors for three years straight now, plus club football with Ramor and Sigerson and freshers football with DCU.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few changes tomorrow night. Mark McKeever may start for what could be his last game in a Cavan jersey if the rumours I'm hearing are true.

I don't think the Monaghan game will have been that much help to Canavan. He tried to do what Monaghan did to Keating and Dunne, the only problem was he didn't have the players to do the job as well as Monaghan did. They may make a better attempt tomorrow evening though. It's highly doubtful that Fermanagh will go 20 odd minutes without scoring so we'll need to come out of ourselves a bit more. We need to go for the jugular and get a goal at some stage if we're going to win, Terry is all about the patience and just keeping your nose in front which is grand but a little more killer instinct when the opportunity arises is needed. 1 goal in 3 Championship games isn't a good return.

If McKeever is considering jacking it in then perhaps that is why Terry hasn't given him any game time, no point in putting in a lad that will soon be gone when you're trying to build a team for the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

no time for sentimentality. If mckeever reckons that the return is not equal to the cost of commitment then maybe he should walk on with our best wishes.

Would be a bummer to lose to Fermanagh tomorrow, this is one of the drawbacks of the qualifier system. You should only run into the same team once before the all-ireland series i.e. 1/4 final onwards. The game will be tight again, agree totally about the need for goals. We need someone breaking from deep to draw the defender out in order to get these chances. Mackey did exactly this against armagh. In Gearoid we are missing that powerhouse bursting through the middle of the opponents defence creating overlaps etc.

Agree re McKeever - great servant to Cavan football and must be frustrating to him not getting championship time after being a starter throughout the league. I know he missed a game when he was travelling but was in great form during the league. But its a young mans game with the huge commitment involved and would only wish him the best - he has nothing to prove to anyone.

A goal could win the game alright and it something we haven't done much off - creating goal chances - lets hope that changes tomorrow night.

Normal team named anyway.

1. Conor Gilsenan (Bailieborough Shamrocks)
    2. Jason McLoughlin (Shannon Gaels)
    3. Rory Dunne (Redhills)
    4. Killian Clarke (Shercock)
    5. James McEnroe (Ramor United)
    6. Alan Clarke (Kingscourt) Captain
    7. Ronan Flanagan (Castlerahan)
    8. Damien O'Reilly (Belturbet)
    9. David Givney (Mountnugent)
    10. Cian Mackey (Castlerahan)
    11. Jack Brady (Ramor United)
    12. Feargal Flanagan (Butlersbridge)
    13. Niall McDermott (Ballinagh)
    14. Martin Dunne (Cavan Gaels)
    15. Eugene Keating (Saint Sylvesters)

• Advertisement

Normal team named anyway.

1. Conor Gilsenan (Bailieborough Shamrocks)
    2. Jason McLoughlin (Shannon Gaels)
    3. Rory Dunne (Redhills)
    4. Killian Clarke (Shercock)
    5. James McEnroe (Ramor United)
    6. Alan Clarke (Kingscourt) Captain
    7. Ronan Flanagan (Castlerahan)
    8. Damien O'Reilly (Belturbet)
    9. David Givney (Mountnugent)
    10. Cian Mackey (Castlerahan)
    11. Jack Brady (Ramor United)
    12. Feargal Flanagan (Butlersbridge)
    13. Niall McDermott (Ballinagh)
    14. Martin Dunne (Cavan Gaels)
    15. Eugene Keating (Saint Sylvesters)

Not unexpected tbh - was probably put under pressure to name a team - I wonder will that be the team that takes to the field tomorrow evening.

Just back from Breffni and a very proud Cavan man tonight. The lads were fantastic and some massive performances from McEnroe, Keating, both Flanagan's and Givney but to be honest they were all great. Never looked like losing and the goal was a touch of class from Mackey and great finish from Dunnie.

Ugly scenes at half time but from my vantage point big Quigley went in with fists flying everywhere - I thought it might have been ref he was going for. Thankfully ref made the right call and red carded him - hugely disappointed in Fermanagh as it was obvious they had targeted some Cavan players like Damien O'Reilly to get a reaction from them - embarrassing that that was the best game plan they could come up with. Ryan McCluskey throwing himself to the ground late on summed it up for me.

Anyway unchartered territory for this team now and hopefully draw will be kind to us - and please please not another Ulster team.

Great win. Fermanagh were very poor, as was the referee. He was atrocious for both teams. Will leave my commenting on him there.

The melee at half time was unfortunate but it's a farce that these two teams had to play again. As the Hogan Stand pointed out in their review of the game, familiarity breeds contempt. That's their 4th game in 12 months.

Givney was superb at midfield. Had his best game of the year. Martin Dunne took the goal well. I honestly couldn't fault any of the lads, even Maryin Reilly that was sent off. One of the "fouls" he allegedly made was far from a foul

A good draw would be nice but I can see us getting Kildare for another money spinner.

The melee at half time was unfortunate but it's a farce that these two teams had to play again. As the Hogan Stand pointed out in their review of the game, familiarity breeds contempt. That's their 4th game in 12 months.

What did you see Lemlin? Nobody around me seemed to see it but I did say straight away that Quigley wouldn't start the second half - I actually thought Canavan was going to sub him.

I though ref done ok in what was very difficult circumstances and did try to keep a lid on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

didnt make the game today but listened to it online ,

Great win for the lads against what it sounded like an ill disciplined Fermanagh tean

seemed to be a lot of hype about the half time handbags

hoping for a decent draw on monday morning i think wexford or galway is the best we can hope for

anyway well done to all involved tonight

no surprise with the other duffy getting carried away with cards its a trait of his i've seen him spoil many a game here in his native county

cavan4sam wrote: »

hoping for a decent draw on monday morning i think wexford or galway is the best we can hope for

Yeah either off them at Breffni would be nice but nearly odds on to get Tyrone, Armagh or Derry :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

I thought the referee was far too fussy and card happy, Fermanagh were poor.They had no attacking plan whatsoever to break down our defensive blanket and their attempts at a blanket defence of their own was pretty dire. We won that game without playing anywhere near to our full potential in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong,there was some fantastic individual performances and some great play,(Fergal Flanagans fisted point was easily the score and move of the game and Mackeys pass into Dunne was delightful),but we went out of the game for periods and better teams will punish us for it. The good news however is that there is alot more in this team than they showed tonight.

I thought Killian Clarke,Ronan Flanagan and Alan Clarke were terrific in defence,Jason McLoughlin done a terrific job on Shane McCabe also. David Givney's fielding was outstanding,Damien Reily's workrate was as usual outstanding and his discipline in the face of disgraceful Fermanagh behaviour in trying to get a reaction from him, was top notch. Martin Reily done very well when he came on. Dunne took his goal very well and was accurate from frees, and Keating done well enough winning ball,but was again isolated at times. McVeety looked lively when he came on aswell.

Another forward option playing closer to the inside two whether that is in the form of Tierney,Jack,Martin Reily will be needed when we play better quality of opposition in the next round.

All in all, i'm very happy with a solid days work from the lads.

What did you see Lemlin? Nobody around me seemed to see it but I did say straight away that Quigley wouldn't start the second half - I actually thought Canavan was going to sub him.

I though ref done ok in what was very difficult circumstances and did try to keep a lid on things.

I was in the terrace at the other side of the field so didn't see much. What started it anyway? I was just sitting down on the concrete when it started and had to jump back up.

The delay at half time by Fermanagh was ridiculous too. Canavan is going way over the top with the attempted mind games,

Having watched them tonight, I can't see why I feared Fermanagh. They're a terrible team on that showing.

I see Hammar's comments above that a better team would punish us but I think the game was over as soon as we got the goal. We never looked under pressure from then on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Well done Cavan....have to agree on all counts with Lemlin, Fermanagh were very poor and the Ref yet again was really bad for both teams. Fermanagh tried to get Cavan into the nasty stuff but it didnt work thankfully because Cavan didnt need that. Could have done with Hawkeye at the town end goal in second half (not for Gilsenans 2 misses though...lol) but for what we all thought was a point for Cavan that was given wide.
    Just think Cavan can keep going another bit, but their fast close tackling has to be admired...well done again lads, proud of you all.....but Anthony Forde deserves a pat on the back for standing up for his players when the Fermanagh subs all rushed in to join the melee....

• Advertisement

I was in the terrace at the other side of the field so didn't see much. What started it anyway? I was just sitting down on the concrete when it started and had to jump back up.

The delay at half time by Fermanagh was ridiculous too. Canavan is going way over the top with the attempted mind games,

Having watched them tonight, I can't see why I feared Fermanagh. They're a terrible team on that showing.

I see Hammar's comments above that a better team would punish us but I think the game was over as soon as we got the goal. We never looked under pressure from then on.

Like you I was just about to sit down but as I was sitting down I was looking out the field and seen Quigley (14) run in the general direction of the ref and he looked angry - I could be wrong but I thought he attempted to hit the ref - it all happened in a flash and I didn't have the best view - I was in the bottom corner of the terrace. After that it was handbags but what I think I saw was borne out by the straight red - I'm interested to hear what other people saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Did anyone see someone from within a bunched group of Fermanagh players/mentors fire a water bottle at one of the Cavan players towards the end of the dust up, or was i delirious from the heat and imagined it???
    Cowardly act.

Hammar wrote: »
    Did anyone see someone from within a bunched group of Fermanagh players/mentors fire a water bottle at one of the Cavan players towards the end of the dust up, or was i delirious from the heat and imagined it???
    Cowardly act.

Didnt see that, but I did see the Fermanagh number 3 running in 2 or 3 times and hitting people from behind of which I think Forde was one, but he was cowardly as he was hitting and running away. Noticed a few kicks on Cavan players and trips on Cavan players which went unpunished but the ref was happy to dish out yellow for stupid offences...

Cowardly act.

Could be why the water boy went off. He should have been gone in the first half anyway, even Fermanagh people next to me were saying it.

He was running across the pitch and sprayed Alan Clarke in the face with water.

It's a poor showing on Canavan that he is training up teams have to use tactics like that to try and get ahead.

The tackle on Niall McDermott that injured him was cowardly too and another example of Duffy's ineptitude. He had just caught the ball and hadn't two feet on the ground when he was shouldered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I said it after the first match but Fermanagh are a very dirty team. I dont know what Canavan has been telling them but they seem to be a very petulant bunch, constantly bitching when the ref gave a free against them even when they were getting equally soft frees. Many times they deliberately fouled a Cavan man and then were shocked when a free was given, when they seemed to think the foul was sly and "cute" (which no doubt Canavan was telling them they would need to be to win).

For me, the big difference between this Cavan team and teams over the past decade is the level of team work and solidarity for each other and the level of professionalism and discipline both on and off the pitch. Terry instilled these values into many of the younger lads from his days with the U21s and it has carried through to the seniors. This was also the big difference between the teams yesterday; despite the dirty tactics used by Fermanagh Cavan just stuck to their gameplan with everyone pulling in the same direction, Fermanagh on the other hand allowed emotions to take over and got more and more frustrated, even their fans seemed to think the ref was out to get them when really he was poor for both teams. I think you can see the personalities of each manager reflected in their teams.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    I said it after the first match but Fermanagh are a very dirty team. I dont know what Canavan has been telling them but they seem to be a very petulant bunch, constantly bitching when the ref gave a free against them even when they were getting equally soft frees. Many times they deliberately fouled a Cavan man and then were shocked when a free was given, when they seemed to think the foul was sly and "cute" (which no doubt Canavan was telling them they would need to be to win).

I think you can see the personalities of each manager reflected in their teams.

According to the Sindo Quigley punched Mackey in the stomach. The more I think about the game and the more I talk to people the angrier I get about the carry on off Fermanagh - I know a lot of Fermanagh GAA people and I'm sure they are embarrassed by their carry on - cowardly is a good word for some of their antics.

I would agree that both teams reflected the personalities of their managers - enough said..

• Advertisement

It's a pity that the game is being overshadowed by the amount if cards, the melee at half time and the Fermanagh antics.

It'll be interesting to see what the lads on the Sunday Game say tonight but I hope they comment on a great Cavan performance rather than the negative side of the game.

There were also fights in the Dublin Neath game and Longford Wexford so it could get a bit of focus.

I can't remember the last time I saw a Cavan team so in control of a game. The only decent chance they had was when Quigley caught a high ball and pointed (a few Fermanagh people around us wanted a Leno for s pull) but, other than that, we were in total control. I even missed the 35 minute mark and only realised we'd hit 37 when the ref blew it was that relaxed.

It was good that it allowed us to empty the bench. McVitty looked good when he came on.

Niall McDermott will be a huge loss if he's out now. He gets through a stellar amount of work. I wouldn't have said that at the start of the year but he's proved me wrong. We're just getting Corr back and it now looks like he and Dunne are gone.

Qualifier round 3 draw in the morning. I think we can give any of the teams left a match but would like to avoid Ulster opposition.

It's the first time we've been in the last 16 since 2005 so we may enjoy it while it's here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Qualifier round 3 draw in the morning. I think we can give any of the teams left a match but would like to avoid Ulster opposition.

Home game for Cavan against either Wexford, Galway or Laois would probably be the best outcome, although I think Cavan could beat Kildare at home too. Tyrone would be the worst draw. Any other game I'd give Cavan a chance, been very impressed with them this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Johner wrote: »
    Home game for Cavan against either Wexford, Galway or Laois would probably be the best outcome, although I think Cavan could beat Kildare at home too. Tyrone would be the worst draw. Any other game I'd give Cavan a chance, been very impressed with them this year.

Could be Armagh again and if we win that, Monaghan again. Play everyone twice, it's a good system:)

I'd prefer to avoid Kildare. Too much baggage associated with them and the hammering they gave us last year may play on the player's minds. I still think they and Derry are the two teams, besides Tyrone who are top six, a level above the rest of the teams left in the qualifiers.

Wexford home would be my choice of all eight. They didn't set the world alight against Meath and I'd see them as the poorest team of those left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Hi there, has anyone got a list of possible teams we could face in tomorrows draw? (not to sure on how the qualifier draw works).

• Advertisement

I'd prefer to avoid Kildare. Too much baggage associated with them and the hammering they gave us last year may play on the player's minds. I still think they and Derry are the two teams, besides Tyrone who are top six, a level above the rest of the teams left in the qualifiers.

Wexford home would be my choice of all eight. They didn't set the world alight against Meath and I'd see them as the poorest team of those left.

If you judge Galway by their performances against Tipp and Waterford and the slaughter by Mayo, all at home, I would prefer to get them in Breffni over Wexford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

lycan238 wrote: »
    Hi there, has anyone got a list of possible teams we could face in tomorrows draw? (not to sure on how the qualifier draw works).

Anyone who won this week and last.

Tyrone
    Galway
    Wexford
    Derry
    Laois
    Kildare
    Armagh

Neeson wrote: »
    Anyone who won this week and last.

Tyrone
    Galway
    Wexford
    Derry
    Laois
    Kildare
    Armagh

thanks. Galway, Wexford or Laois at home would be a great draw. When do the losing provincial finalists join (R4 i presume)?

thanks. Galway, Wexford or Laois at home would be a great draw. When do the losing provincial finalists join (R4 i presume)?

Yes.

And then after that Cavan will be on a quarter final. So if they win 5 more games they have won the all Ireland.

The draw for both Round 3 and Round 4 will be on RTE Radio One after 8.30 in the morning. London in Round 4 please.

The draw for both Round 3 and Round 4 will be on RTE Radio One after 8.30 in the morning. London in Round 4 please.

That would be an absolute dream draw which would leave us in the last 8. Then it gets interesting. Cavan football on the up (as is Monaghan) while Donegal will decline in a few years should see the future of ulster football blue and white.

Getting London wouldn't count for much if its Armagh/Derry/Tyrone in Round 3.

It would be some sickner!

Neeson wrote: »
    Getting London wouldn't count for much if its Armagh/Derry/Tyrone in Round 3.

It would be some sickner!

true but we should beat armagh we should give derry a very good game and as for tyrone they are not the team they used to be. However possibly the worst draw we could get would be tyrone r3 and cork r4 both away.

While we are in a great place at the minute let's not get too carried away :). A home draw would be fantastic and avoiding Tyrone and Kildare would be even better - any of the rest gives us a chance - a decent chance. After that we can start thinking off the next round - yes it would be nice if our tie got London but its only a great draw if we make it that far.

Incredible that there was only 8,000 at the game last night - hopefully it will be a full house for next game out or if we are away we bring a big support..

If you judge Galway by their performances against Tipp and Waterford and the slaughter by Mayo, all at home, I would prefer to get them in Breffni over Wexford.

Galway are a better team than they are showing IMO. It's only two years ago they roasted us in the All Ireland U21 final and they won it again this year.

• Advertisement

Canavan blames the ref - what a joke!!

That pass from Mackey for the goal was brilliant! Cavan kicked some excellent scores!

Canavan blames the ref - what a joke!!

Peter was "Great", but Im afraid not as a manager....he really has to look at his own nasty tactics which he expected Fermanagh to carry out and backfired. The Sunday game made it out to be a nasty affair but the only nastiness was from the Ernemen and the ref was too picky and utterly useless to be fair...

muincav wrote: »
    Peter was "Great", but Im afraid not as a manager....he really has to look at his own nasty tactics which he expected Fermanagh to carry out and backfired. The Sunday game made it out to be a nasty affair but the only nastiness was from the Ernemen and the ref was too picky and utterly useless to be fair...

The ref let them away with it in the league game and I think they were expecting to be allowed away with it again.

They didn't seem to have any gameplan other than being cynical and trying to get a Cavan man sent off.

Terry got his tactics spot on with McLoughlin picking up their creator McCabe. They didn't have anyone they could do a similar job on Mackey. Other than Quigley of course, who was also yellow carded in the first game for taking Mackey out.

It's ridiculous by Canavan to try and say the referee lost them that game. The ref was useless but useless for both teams.

Perhaps he should look at the actions of his own players, like that idiot of a maor uisce that sprayed Clarke with water in the face in the first half.

So we got the Round 4 draw we were dreaming off (if we get there and its a big if). Derry in Celtic Park in Round 3 is not the worst or not the best draw possible. Obviously would have been nice to take them to Breffni but we have a chance and the incentive for winning couldn't be bigger for both teams..

Cavan won't need any motivation anyway after seeing these tweets.
    Paddy Bradley ‏@PaddyB14

AI Quarter final beckons for derry
    Enda Muldoon ‏@endamuldoon

Great draw for Derry at home again looking like a trip to croke park could be on

Deadly - I think they might be printed off and stuck to the dressing room wall. I know these are ex players but seriously they are not helping their own sides cause. This just gives Cavan extra motivation and having seen their attitude and hunger on Saturday night they don't need anymore motivation.

Derry are like ourselves a young team planning for the future and are justifiably favourites but Cavan fear no-one in Ulster anymore and Derry can be very fickle so can be got at and the rewards for winning this one are huge for Cavan football. I expect Cavan to have a real go at this and it will be very tight..

Brolly had one as well, which Eamonn Reilly (chesty from the Gaels) replied to put him in his box:

Joe Brolly ‏@JoeBrolly1993 6h Was really hoping for Armagh. Would have been a really entertaining, positive pairing. Instead, we have to play the Black Death

Eamonn reilly ‏@chestyreilly 5h
    @JoeBrolly1993 the black death had you underwraps in '97.... Gerry Sheridan still has your shorts... #noblowingkissesthatday

Cowardly act.

Seen the idiot throw the water bottle.....was hiding behind a gang of his own crowd.
    14 hit Mackey a box according to the Star.....had that confirmed by someone else who seen it. Box to the stomach rather than jaw though. Not sure what Forde done but I assume he got stuck in to drag fellas off fellas rather that hitting anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

just watched on the tv last night. The full forward hit mackey a very low blow, dirty dirty act. Mackey reacted right away to the linesman who I am assuming passed on the info to the referee.

Advertisement