Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

rrs wrote: »
    That was bad defeat for them at home as well.
    Did Cavan play any challenge games since Wicklow?

There was some big hammering in championship over the weekend. The current structure has run its course.

Lost to Galway by 5 or 6 or last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Cavan_King wrote: »
    As if things couldn’t get worse, our League conquerers Wicklow lost to Wexford today.

They’ve won one game in five this year.

come on ye are ulster champions , surly this out weighs division 4 football next year , plus ye will walk out of it

i taught paddy tally spoke very well about the condensed league today and in truth cavan were sucker punched into a relegation battle , that derry team is good and will show it against donegal , fermanagh anr not out of place in divison 2 either so shrot straw in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭rrs

Paddy Tally had Down back training in Januray and then got a ban, ironic that he was talking about lack of preperation. Down as one of the 6 counties were back slightly earlier too.

Cavan had 2 weeks to prepare for Wicklow no point mentioning the other games, the Wicklow game was as important as Tyrone and was a shocking display

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

come on ye are ulster champions , surly this out weighs division 4 football next year , plus ye will walk out of it

i taught paddy tally spoke very well about the condensed league today and in truth cavan were sucker punched into a relegation battle , that derry team is good and will show it against donegal , fermanagh anr not out of place in divison 2 either so shrot straw in my opinion

People said we’d walk out of Division 3 and look how that ended.

Give the level in the League that the team were performing at when Mickey took over, there is no excuse for the results this year.

The games showed the quality of opposition was very poor. I didn’t see the Division 3 Final but have heard it was also of very low quality.

Club championship draws….

2021 Cavan senior football championship Round 1 draw

Crosserlough v Ramor United
    Lavey v Castlerahan
    Kingscourt Stars v Shercock
    Gowna v Killygarry
    Ballinagh v Cavan Gaels
    Laragh United v Lacken

Week 1: Mullahoran – A Bye
    Week 2: Shercock – A Bye
    Week 4: Killygarry – A Bye
    Week 5: Ramor United – A Bye

2021 Cavan intermediate football championship Round 1 draw

Killeshandra v Arva
    Drumgoon v Bailieborough Shamrocks
    Ballyhaise v Cootehill Celtic
    Butlersbridge v Drumlane
    Belturbet v Cuchulainns
    Killinkere v Ballymachugh
    Denn/Templeport v Cornafean

2021 Cavan junior football championship Round 1 draw

Kildallan v Swanlinbar
    Denn/Templeport v Kill Shamrocks
    Maghera MacFinns v Knockbride
    Drung v Drumalee
    Munterconnacht v Redhills
    Mountnugent v Shannon Gaels

• Advertisement

They seem to have increased the Senior Championship with 5 rounds? Gaels and Ballinagh and Crosserlough v Ramon would be decent games

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

They seem to have increased the Senior Championship with 5 rounds? Gaels and Ballinagh and Crosserlough v Ramon would be decent games

An extra team in it. One round is the bye round.

I heard Ballinagh tipped as a dark horse the other day. Killygarry won’t have an easy start against Gowna. A bit of a battle of grit against skill - I see Gowna coming out on top unless Jodie Devine can fix Killygarry’s obvious mental frailties, and keep their injury prone squad fit!

Lavey & Castlerahan have served up some great games over the last few years. Lavey need to stop bottling it though and actually beat Rahan - they’ve thrown it away a couple of times against them, including last year with a silly black card in ET. A draw would be a good bet for anyone prone to throwing a few euro on a result.

Butlersbridge vs Drumlane should be a good game in the intermediate. The Bridge are my tip for that grade as McCarthy has them on a good fitness regime for the last few months under Stephen Smith from Monaghan.

It’s an absolute joke Daragh didn’t get the Cavan U20 job. Speaking of the media, there’ll be a lot of eyes on Cucus with Lyng & Johnston but I think they are short a couple of backs and unfortunate Doughty is injured.

I thought Johnston and Lyng might have been able to coax Eugene Keating back. I see Adam Reilly is back playing with them. But they are light in defence, never had great backs.

What date is the U20 game v Down? It's home advantage, though Down have a strong management team. Conor Laverty, Martin Clarke, Sean Boylan.

I thought Johnston and Lyng might have been able to coax Eugene Keating back. I see Adam Reilly is back playing with them. But they are light in defence, never had great backs.

What date is the U20 game v Down? It's home advantage, though Down have a strong management team. Conor Laverty, Martin Clarke, Sean Boylan.

Keating is busy in the gym in Killinkere working on his six pack!

It’s July 9th. This day week. It’s the evening before the senior game so they will probably be missing half the panel the way Mickey is going, and Donohoe hasn’t the liathroidi to stick up for himself like Bernard Flynn did in Meath.

• Advertisement

Yevon wrote: »
    Would love to see the U20s going a run. We could really do with something positive an it's hard to see that coming from Healy Park. Was chatting one of the players during the week and they're very confident, he says Donohoe is an excellent man manager. Hopefully he has the tactical prowess to go with it.

Is he talking though about actual man management or Donohoe blowing smoke about them? Damien is a decent lad, I enjoy the podcast but he talks up players, young players particularly. For example, Caoimhin McGovern in the League games this year.

I know a former Cavan manager of one age grade who told me he’d love to get rid of the podcast. He said it clearly affected players he’d coached getting ahead of themselves.

I think he should have stepped aside from the podcast when he took the u20 job. Maybe it can work, but sole responsibility should be on managing the team not talking about them on the podcast also

I think he should have stepped aside from the podcast when he took the u20 job. Maybe it can work, but sole responsibility should be on managing the team not talking about them on the podcast also

He needs to make a living but I do think there’s a clear conflict of interest. It started last year when the podcast wouldn’t comment in any way negatively on referee performances anymore and then they really failed to hold Mickey Graham to account in the League this year.

He needs to make a living but I do think there’s a clear conflict of interest. It started last year when the podcast wouldn’t comment in any way negatively on referee performances anymore and then they really failed to hold Mickey Graham to account in the League this year.

So basically its just a bit of back slapping now?

He was relegated to Junior in his second year with Killenkere. He was doing commentary on games and rushing back to be at Killenkere games.
    He was coach not manager with Mullahoran but

I know itw his podcast but it seems a bit conflicted, I know of some club players who weren't impressed with the dual role

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

How are we fixed with injuries for next week?

The old rumour mill is in full swing between a broken hand for one of our all stars to a bust up after the Wicklow game between a couple of players it's hard to know what's going on behind the scenes if anything

I think he's separated the roles well. He's never, to my knowledge, mentioned anything about the U20s training, matches etc. He'll mention a good young player that he's seen from the U20s but he did that prior to taking up the role too. His presence on the podcast didn't do Mullahorn or Killinkere any harm.

Also, it's his podcast. If he stepped aside the podcast would stop which would be a real shame. It's a great media resource to have in the county. Leitrim took inspiration and have one directly sponsored by the County Board.

He did a full 40 minute interview with Paul Fitz about his plans for the U20s when he got the job! He’s also mentioned a couple of times re lads doing trials for the 20s. You’d also notice he’ll pick out U20 players in match reports now that the reviews have started with the League.

Just because he owns the podcast, doesn’t mean he has to do it. The We Are Meath podcast is presented by Mickey Brennan with 3 regular contributors including David Rispin & the county board PRO. They also tend to have club PROs and different individuals on also.

It’s actually superior to the We Are Cavan podcast because you hear different views - at this stage the same anecdotes from Paul & Damo and their good cop, bad cop approach is growing old now. Paul can’t even be the pessimist this year either now that Damien has the U20 job - they can’t be seen to be criticising the county board or anything connected to it.

Speaking of Mullahoran & Killinkere, his bias towards them is quite clear, even after his involvement has ended. Mullahoran have struggled to win a game since being promoted and he named them in the top four or six senior clubs the year they came back up.

Exactly he doesn't have to do it because he set up the podcast. I was actually surprised the County board allowed a manager of a County Under 20 team also be on a weekly podcast.

cavan4sam wrote: »
    How are we fixed with injuries for next week?

The old rumour mill is in full swing between a broken hand for one of our all stars to a bust up after the Wicklow game between a couple of players it's hard to know what's going on behind the scenes if anything

I don’t listen to anything. Very little leaks out of the camp the last few years. That started under Terry & has continued since.

What channel is showing the game?
    You do know the podcast is voluntary, you are not required to listen? Its very easy not to listen to it if you dont like it. The advice I gave when you moaned about buying club lotto tickets also applies here: just say no. You could use the 5 euro a month you'll save to buy a Meath jersey.

Anyone know if the U20 game will be streamed Friday? Presume there wont be much chance of getting tickets.

I don’t remember moaning about buying club lotto tickets. Perhaps you could link to the post or retract that?

No need to be so touchy about the podcast. I have no problem paying the 5 euro and actually pointed to one user on here being very stingy when they said they cancelled it back at Xmas because no games were on.

Perhaps when you’re taking such note of my posts you should remember them correctly.

You also don’t seem to be good at written comprehension - where did I say I didn’t like the podcast? I gave some feedback on it, feedback I have also sent onto the lads as they regularly ask for feedback.

Have you anything to actually add to the debate on the U20 management?

Been a lot of poor games in the championship across the 4 provinces so far. Antrim were gutsy but Armagh won without breaking a sweat. 13 pts Monaghan by 10 yesterday and Donegal by 16.
    Hard to know what Cavan team Will show up next week but would want to be a big improvement to be competitive.

• Advertisement

Oh you moaned about it alright. But if you think i'm going to trawl through your drivel to find it....

It’s quite easy to search a thread for a topic. Put the word “lotto” into the search option above but then I’d imagine you know you’ve written a cheque you can’t cash here so allow me to illustrate….

My post that didn’t mention anything re club lotto tickets:
    There are generations of tradition and identity rooted down but unfortunately time moves on. Corlough aren't going to get an amalgamation, they just need to close the doors and move their players to Swad or Templeport. What's the point of an U9 or U11 player having aspirations to play for Corlough - so they can be beat every game and have one competitive match a year against Maghera?

If you ask me, its ridiculous that money is still being spent on smaller clubs like this that will need to amalgamate when you have clubs where there is now a higher population, and clearly will be going forward, struggling.

You state ''facilities and money aren't lacking'' but they obviously are for certain clubs. Cuchulainns, for example, have a huge population now and are having a fundraiser every five or six months it seems to try and upgrade their facilities. They had the Oskars just before Xmas and it was only last January they had I'm a Celebrity with other small fundraisers in between.

Castlerahan, another example, is their pitch befitting of the county champions? Lavey are a senior club and are currently looking at starting a 400k development. Laragh regularly have to get their underage teams to train on the 3G because their pitch is in such a bad condition and they are now a senior club - last year some drains in it collapsed.

Killinkere just finished a fine development but have been fundraising for years and even had a GoFundMePage and started up Club Killinkere where families are charged about 400 euro a year I believe to be members.

Why are so many clubs starting up their own member societies and getting families to shell out between 200 and 500 a year to support them? Why every time you drive past the Kilmore are there various signs up about different GAA fundraisers? Why, if your door is like mine, it is regularly blackened with lads selling tickets for various fundraisers?

To say ''money and facilities aren't lacking'' is an amazing statement to come out with in the present environment IMO.

Your response:
    Ah yes dismiss a hundred odd year history of a club in one sentence and tell them to close their doors and "move" their players (not sure how you expect a disbanded club to call the shots on where a player goes) I'm not sure where you're from but you obviously have no clue about what it's like in a club and a community that's struggling.

Fundraising is how community facilities are paid for (in addition to some grant funding etc) They're having no problem raising the money. I'm not suggesting that clubs are cash rich but they come up with fundraising targets and are hitting them. You can be amazed all you want but in your response you named out the ongoing developments in the county, proves what I'm saying. A lot of clubs have excellent facilities and more are finding the money to improve theirs.

You seem to be bitter about fundraising? Are you one of these lads who grumbles about the GAA when he's asked for 2 euro for a local lotto ticket? It's an excellent community driven practice and it's at the heart of what the GAA is about. Personally I'm happy to buy a ticket for any local cause as long as I can afford it. If you can't afford it or you want to keep your money in your pocket then nobody has a gun to your head.

You accused me of stating I didn’t want to buy lotto tickets but I didn’t mention lotto tickets in my post. Now, can you retract your incorrect comments please?

Then I’ve no problem returning to the issue of debating the U20 management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gmks

Just wondering with the amount of fans allowed into games higher up north will there be any chance of getting into the game?

gmks wrote: »
    Just wondering with the amount of fans allowed into games higher up north will there be any chance of getting into the game?

It would depend on who you know at this stage i doubt if there will be any general sale of tickets.

Since Saturday the crowd allowance went up to 500, so should be a bit of a crowd at the U20 game
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/new-limit-of-500-fans-for-outdoor-sports-events-brought-forward-1.4607736

Tyrone will probaly have a good following in Omagh, 1,700 specators at the Armagh v Anrtrim game yesterday, with the North having bigger number for outdoor events

Since Saturday the crowd allowance went up to 500, so should be a bit of a crowd at the U20 game
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/new-limit-of-500-fans-for-outdoor-sports-events-brought-forward-1.4607736

Tyrone will probaly have a good following in Omagh, 1,700 specators at the Armagh v Anrtrim game yesterday, with the North having bigger number for outdoor events

Who is on the u20 panel is there a list anywhere?

Crosserlough and Gowna would have a few on it, Emmet Boylan, Madden, Peter Smith.

Caoimhin McGovern, Oisin Brady , Sean McEvoy, Cian Reilly of the Senior panel would be U20 players, whether any of them are released to play. Maybe Cian Reilly and McEvoy, I doubt they will feature against Tyrone.

Shealan Johnston of Kilcoo would be Downs main player in the forwards, brother of Jerome and Ryan
    Ryan McEvoy another Kilcoo player , probaly be at midfield. He played against last year in Breffni in the u20 game.

celt262 wrote: »
    It would depend on who you know at this stage i doubt if there will be any general sale of tickets.

I know of a few counties last weekend who treated an allocation of their tickets like AI tickets they would get and gave a couple to each club who had a draw for club members.

Consider it retracted. I see your issue was with your door being "blackened" by GAA Fundraisers. Presumably you weren't covering club lotto sellers in this.

I did clearly state I was talking about people selling tickets for “GAA fundraisers” so not sure why there was any confusion on your behalf. I had also referenced various fundraisers clubs had run in the paragraph before. There’s a big difference between a €25 euro or more ticket for a GAA fundraiser, from clubs not in your area that you have no connection to, and a club lotto ticket.

The practice that most clubs engage in now is that they’ll approach someone from the local area that they want to sell the tickets in and approach the houses that are known as “GAA houses”. Like I said, at the time, it’d be no problem if this had been happening sparsely but it was a regular occurrence pre Covid. In the BJD area, I remember people having sellers from 3 different clubs on three different nights in the one week.

Anyway, I see little point in continuing debating posts from the past.

Re Donohoe, he has coached a Cavan underage team before, the U16s, and I wasn’t impressed at the time. His club record is also questionable and it is my belief that Daragh McCarthy would have been the better choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mod Note

Time to move on and start discussing the common passion that posters share: Cavan GAA.

The expectation is that there will be no further posts re this matter.

Thank you

• Advertisement

Gowna sold the naming rights to their pitch , now called ClubSpot Park https://t.co/iHQASmUhym?amp=1

Advertisement