Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Yes Derry will be tough away but as has been said the reward is a potential banana skin. London are not the team they used to be they got to the connacht final this year albeit on the weaker side of the draw. looking ahead to the AI 1/4 final if we win both games we are guaranteed a very very tough game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

willabur wrote: »
    just watched on the tv last night. The full forward hit mackey a very low blow, dirty dirty act. Mackey reacted right away to the linesman who I am assuming passed on the info to the referee.

Mackey was standing beside the ref when it happened AFAIK - the footage on the Sunday game didn't really clear anything up - I wonder is there better footage somewhere. It was a dirty cheap shot as was Eoin Donnelly smack in the face of a Cavan player that he got booked for - not sure why the ref didn't send him off as he definitely seen it - Cavan player was on the ground at the time which makes it even more cowardly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Mackey was standing beside the ref when it happened AFAIK - the footage on the Sunday game didn't really clear anything up - I wonder is there better footage somewhere. It was a dirty cheap shot as was Eoin Donnelly smack in the face of a Cavan player that he got booked for - not sure why the ref didn't send him off as he definitely seen it - Cavan player was on the ground at the time which makes it even more cowardly.

I have it on good authority from a couple of people I know who were in the seated stand that Quigley ran over to the ref, went right in his face and pushed him. The cameras then picked it up from where Mackey went over and Quigley turned on him.

Plenty of people optimistic about the Derry draw but I'd have to say I'm not. When we were down to three possible teams left, they were the one I didn't want. Laois or Wexford would have been great.

We'll now have played 5 games this year all against Ulster teams.

We've nothing to lose and I'mdure we'll acquit ourselves.well but Derry in Derry is a step too far for this team st this stage IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Lemlin wrote: »
    I have it on good authority from a couple of people I know who were in the seated stand that Quigley ran over to the ref, went right in his face and pushed him. The cameras then picked it up from where Mackey went over and Quigley turned on him.

I said that here after the game - that was my initial reaction that he was headed straight for the referee. If that did happen a long long ban should follow.
    Plenty of people optimistic about the Derry draw but I'd have to say I'm not. When we were down to three possible teams left, they were the one I didn't want. Laois or Wexford would have been great.

We'll now have played 5 games this year all against Ulster teams.

We've nothing to lose and I'mdure we'll acquit ourselves.well but Derry in Derry is a step too far for this team st this stage IMO.

It's not the best draw we could have got but its certainly not the worst. Its all irrelevant now as that the one we have and like you I'm sick of playing Ulster teams but nothing we can do about that now.

While Derry are of course favourites and are obviously extremely confident judging by the reactions of some of their former players. But Derry can be got at - they are one of the most inconsistent counties in Ulster despite the talented players they have and unity is not one of their strong points. I heard that they togged out in their club jerseys for the warm-up in their last warm-up game - wtf is that about. :confused: They are also a young team and are building for the future.

It's hard to know where Cavan are at as Armagh were poor, Fermanagh were on the first day tactically inept and the second day had no tactics apart from "let's get in their faces and get a few of them sent off". We were a kick of a ball away from a replay from a very experienced Monaghan team albeit who were woeful against Antrim. So its hard to say where we are at but come 7pm Saturday evening we will know a hell of a lot about this team.

We need to start well (as we have done in all our championship games), take our scores - especially goal chances when they come, keep our discipline and scrap for every ball for the 70 mins and we have a chance - a damn good one in my book.

Most Cavan supporters are bipolar when it comes to football - they veer from "Oh my god we are the worst team in Ireland" to "this is our year - Croker hear we come" all in the space of a game and it drives me nuts. But in saying that we have every right to be confident going this year as we have a good manager, a good gameplan that suits the players, young fearless players, players with hunger and commitment and most all a TEAM - been a hell of a long time since Cavan people could say that - so f*ck it enjoy the ride!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭willabur

true, true, win or lose on saturday it has already been a positive year for football in the country. While giant strides have not being made it is certainly moving in the right direction. Need to ensure that the momentum is maintained.

Great to see mcvitty get a run on Saturday, he looks like a really classy footballer.

• Advertisement

true, true, win or lose on saturday it has already been a positive year for football in the country. While giant strides have not being made it is certainly moving in the right direction. Need to ensure that the momentum is maintained.

Great to see mcvitty get a run on Saturday, he looks like a really classy footballer.

Giant strides have been made IMO:

1. First year to win two games in Ulster since 2001.
    2. First year to make Round 3 of the qualifiers since 2005.
    3. Good league campaign for the first time in 4 years. It's actually the first time in 3 years we weren't going into the last game fighting relegation.
    4. First time to beat a team in the Championship that wasn't in Division 4 of the league since 2005.

People in Cavan seem to forget just how low we were. Two years ago Longford beat us by 11 points in Breffni for example.

Giant strides have been made IMO:

1. First year to win two games in Ulster since 2001.
    2. First year to make Round 3 of the qualifiers since 2005.
    3. Good league campaign for the first time in 4 years. It's actually the first time in 3 years we weren't going into the last game fighting relegation.
    4. First time to beat a team in the Championship that wasn't in Division 4 of the league since 2005.

People in Cavan seem to forget just how low we were. Two years ago Longford beat us by 11 points in Breffni for example.

all the above is important. Not to forget our U21's who have been doing well in their Ulster Championship recently who hopefully will come through to the senior team and not emigrate in the coming years.

lycan238 wrote: »
    all the above is important. Not to forget our U21's who have been doing well in their Ulster Championship recently who hopefully will come through to the senior team and not emigrate in the coming years.

A few have already moved away for studies like Robert Maloney Dernham and Niall Smith but there's not much you can do about that.

All you can do is help the ones who look to leave for work to get jobs but that is already happening AFAIK. At least 2 of the present panel were helped source jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Not hugely thrilled with the draw but the more i think about it the more i think we can give derry a good game

i know league and championship are totally different but Derry struggled to beat westmeath in the final of div 2 with a full squad this gives me hope for this tie

hopefully a big cavan crowd will travel

i'd be quite fearful of mayo in the next round :)

A few have already moved away for studies
    cavan4sam wrote: »
    hopefully a big cavan crowd will travel

Yes Lemlin those who move away for studies i can understand as at the end of the day education will be key to getting Ireland back on track as a nation.

cavan4sam hopefully that will be true. A strong cavan crowd could really turn this game on its head, a fast start from the men in blue followed by a convincing performance should see us past Derry. Mayo would be a huge step up and London if we get them should be a great game. As I said before after that its pretty much the top sides left.

• Advertisement

Haven't seen the Celt yet. Any news in it about injuries?

Winning in Derry would be a huge statement by the current bunch of players. Keating said this week that its about mentality, they feel they have the training done, Ability wise they have what it takes to win - the question is do they have the strength of character to go to a ground like celtic park and getting the win. They will have learnt alot from the Monaghan game where I reckon they will feel that they left it behind them, that they allowed Monaghan to impress their will and physicality on them to close out the game.

I havent seen too much of Derry but all the noise is that they will be more like Armagh in the way they approach the game rather than Fermanagh and Monaghan in that they will not try to suffocate the game. It will be up to us to put the squeeze on at the back with defensive discipline and be patient with our own use of the ball retaining possession and utilising strike runners like Ronan Flanagan and Mackey to make that crucial 30 yards from where balls can be played into Dunne and Keating.

Having said all that I have a feeling that it might be too early for this team, I think there will be a hard lesson learnt on saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

If Mayo hammer London by say 20 points I will back them with the handicap against Cavan/Derry.

I will also back whoever gets mayo in the quarters plus the handicap. Reckon they will be too good bets but obv I could change my mind closer to the fixtures.

Winning in Derry would be a huge statement by the current bunch of players. Keating said this week that its about mentality, they feel they have the training done, Ability wise they have what it takes to win - the question is do they have the strength of character to go to a ground like celtic park and getting the win. They will have learnt alot from the Monaghan game where I reckon they will feel that they left it behind them, that they allowed Monaghan to impress their will and physicality on them to close out the game.

I havent seen too much of Derry but all the noise is that they will be more like Armagh in the way they approach the game rather than Fermanagh and Monaghan in that they will not try to suffocate the game. It will be up to us to put the squeeze on at the back with defensive discipline and be patient with our own use of the ball retaining possession and utilising strike runners like Ronan Flanagan and Mackey to make that crucial 30 yards from where balls can be played into Dunne and Keating.

Having said all that I have a feeling that it might be too early for this team, I think there will be a hard lesson learnt on saturday.

I don't think we'll win but I don't think a hard lesson will be learned either. Nothing like the Kildare game last year anyway. Derry are a step up in class for this team at too early a stage. I've always said that you have the top six and then you have teams like Derry, Monaghan, Kildare and Down operating just outside it.

After that, anyone can beat anyone. For me, I can see us eventually moving into the upper tier of teams in the country but this year we've done well already but Derry, like Monaghan, will just be that small step up in class that we don't yet have.

We need to remember it's Hyland's first full year with the team though. He's been stripped of arguably our most influential player in McKiernan. In fact, we played 3 games of the 4 so far without our other first choice midfielder Mossie Corr. He would have been a huge addition for his physicality against Monaghan.

After we beat Fermanagh the second time, we can look back on this year kindly. Losing to them would have put a huge dampener on things but the lads gave a fantastic performance. It's been a good year. I'd love it to continue but I don't think it will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don't think we'll win but I don't think a hard lesson will be learned either. Nothing like the Kildare game last year anyway. Derry are a step up in class for this team at too early a stage. I've always said that you have the top six and then you have teams like Derry, Monaghan, Kildare and Down operating just outside it.

After that, anyone can beat anyone. For me, I can see us eventually moving into the upper tier of teams in the country but this year we've done well already but Derry, like Monaghan, will just be that small step up in class that we don't yet have.

We need to remember it's Hyland's first full year with the team though. He's been stripped of arguably our most influential player in McKiernan. In fact, we played 3 games of the 4 so far without our other first choice midfielder Mossie Corr. He would have been a huge addition for his physicality against Monaghan.

After we beat Fermanagh the second time, we can look back on this year kindly. Losing to them would have put a huge dampener on things but the lads gave a fantastic performance. It's been a good year. I'd love it to continue but I don't think it will.

I don't think Derry are too far ahead at the moment at all.
    They struggled to beat Westmeath in the Div 2 Final and I would put Cavan on at least a par with Westmeath.
    If the game was in Cavan i would strongly fancy Cavan.
    Cavan have to go out and show belief in Celtic Park.
    I think they can do it.
    Hope i'm right. Good luck Cavan.

I meant hard as in hard to take, not hard like a hammering. A game like Monaghan where it was there for the taking Vs a game against Kildare which we never in it after the first 5 minutes. Personally I think the ones where you are within one kick of winning are the hardest pills to swallow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Taffy Kat

Anyone know if there is anyone televising the match tomorrow? BBC NI, Premier Sports? Would like to see the match but live too far way to get to the game.

I presume if all comes to all, Northern Sound will have radio commentary on the internet?

Taffy Kat wrote: »
    Anyone know if there is anyone televising the match tomorrow? BBC NI, Premier Sports? Would like to see the match but live too far way to get to the game.

I presume if all comes to all, Northern Sound will have radio commentary on the internet?

No TV coverage. Add Official Cavan GAA on Twitter. The county PRO Declan Woods updates it throughout the games.

Team announced. Gilly misses out:

Cavan manager Terry Hyland has announced his starting fifteen for Saturdays qualifier away to Derry in Celtic Park. An ankle injury (sprain) has ruled out free taking custodian Conor Gilsenan but strength and depth in this Cavan panel see's an able replacement in Alan O'Mara. Having sat out last weekends derby with Fermanagh, Redhill's club man Rory Dunne returns from injury to the full back berth eager to reshow his championship form. Otherwise Cavan retain the familiar look they have had since their preliminary outing in May.
    Cavan will line out 1 to 15 as follows:

1. Alan O'Mara (Bailieborough Shamrocks)
    2. Jason McLoughlin (Shannon Gaels)
    3. Rory Dunne (Redhills)
    4. Killian Clarke (Shercock)
    5. James McEnroe (Ramor United)
    6. Alan Clarke (Kingscourt) Captain
    7. Ronan Flanagan (Castlerahan)
    8. Damien O'Reilly (Belturbet)
    9. David Givney (Mountnugent)
    10. Cian Mackey (Castlerahan)
    11. Jack Brady (Ramor United)
    12. Feargal Flanagan (Butlersbridge)
    13. Niall McDermott (Ballinagh)
    Dunne and Keating.

No TV coverage. Add Official Cavan GAA on Twitter. The county PRO Declan Woods updates it throughout the games.

I don't use twitter so I'll try to be around a computer at match time so I can listen to Northern Sound.

Hope Cavan do it because given that it should be London in the next round a quarter final would beckon.

Seems a lot of good work is being done in Cavan at the moment and that progress is happening, so even if it doesn't happen today hopefully a good platform is being built.

McDermott and McLoughlin both missing as well as Gilly.

Cavan down by 2 points to 0 at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

6 - 5 to Cavan now!
    Very tight game.

8 - 6 to Cavan with 28min gone. Massive point by Flanagan from out near the 45

9 -7 to Cavan at half time.

Both teams playing short kick outs. Long ball from Derry into forwards causing a little discomfort for the Cavan backs but so far they have coped with it nevertheless.
    Derry impetus waning under the heat toward the end of the half so will be interesting to see if this young Cavan team has the fitness advantage to close it out in the second 35 minutes.

EDIT: Northern sound commentary somewhat better than it often is but they have a clatter of commentators in there so its not just the one fella droning on the whole time.

Teams usually come back at Cavsn in the second half so we need to start well. To get the first point would be massive.

Givney took a knock and has switched with Keating.

Givney gone and it doesn't look good. **** it.

Givney gone and it doesn't look good. **** it.
    still, first point of the half to Cavan so now 10 - 7 up!

and a minute later Derry get 2 quick points and its 10 - 9 to Cavan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Forgot all about this.
    Come on Cavan. Believe.

now 12 - 9 up for Cavan.
    RTE radio 1 also are broadcasting the game which is good as the northern sound stream is constantantly droping on me.
    (and also on Radio Ulster mw I hear)

• Advertisement

How long left? good to hear Cavan winning.

Cavan now 14 -11 up
    2 quick points in a row.
    just under 15 min into the second half played

9 -7 to Cavan at half time.

Both teams playing short kick outs. Long ball from Derry into forwards causing a little discomfort for the Cavan backs but so far they have coped with it nevertheless.
    Derry impetus waning under the heat toward the end of the half so will be interesting to see if this young Cavan team has the fitness advantage to close it out in the second 35 minutes.

EDIT: Northern sound commentary somewhat better than it often is but they have a clatter of commentators in there so its not just the one fella droning on the whole time.

Northern Sound commentary working ok for me. Not too bad as local commentaries go, no worse than KCLR (I have, owing to family split GAA loyalties between Cavan and Kilkenny, though at least they're never likely to meet).

Btw if anyone is having trouble with the Northern Sound official stream spiking all the time there's another stream on tunein (its also official).

Going really well, fingers crossed for the rest of the match! Come on Cavan!

now derry 2 points clawed back,
    sounds like a ding dong game.
    one in it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Cavan could go to rot here yet.

Level... Big test of character now.

• Advertisement

Ya boy ya.
    Horse of a point for Cavan so now one up again!

A goal either way wins this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

How long is left?

Cavan now 1 up with 6 min left
    16 - 15
    By the way, Should it end up a draw there'll be extra time.

By the way, if you are in the low countries or uk you can get the game on the radio on lw252 which is rte 1

• Advertisement

Now level 16 a piece, no now Derry up by a point

Why does the Northern Sound commentator keep saying the winners will play Mayo or Sligo, I thought they'd play Mayo or London no?

Level again after being ahead. Have a feeling Cavan are going to blow this. Behind now :-(.

Galway 1-11 Armagh 0-09 final score in the other match.

level!!!

Level now. Minute and a half to go.

Level! Martin Reilly with a point after a ball dropped into the box.
    Cavan now with free 45 m out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Cavan gone to rot there. Shocking.

Derry up by a point from soft free

Derry a point up. Looks to be over.

I think evetrything i have is crossed

• Advertisement
Advertisement