Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

Conor Bradley maybe coming back to Ramor. Behind the scenes issues seem to have cleared.

Hopefully he will be back in the Blue and White too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I’ve seen him playing in Meath and he has looked nowhere near the pace of intercounty. The year he left Ramor he didn’t have a great year for them either.

From what I remember, he did alot of running while in France as a student and lost a lot of his conditioning. He went from talk of Cavan flying him home for League games to not even making the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

It's almost 4 years since he was on the Cavan panel. That's a huge gap for anyone. I know he showed promise in his first year but after four years....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Another list to add to the list of Ramor footballers not interested in playing for their county I would say. If he plays with Ramor this year and rips it up and then expresses an interest we should ask him in for trials before the start of next year. Would be ridiculous to bring him in now

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mogue77

He was a great player at the time, it is a pity he walked away, will we ever see dara Mcveety back?

I think that's a really good point on Thomas Galligan. He's such a high octane player there is no point in having him play three games in a week. Clarke or the Gunner could do a solid job with James Smith (Clarke was very impressive against Tyrone) as opposed to risking Thomas.

No need for complacency and hopefully the front three you suggest are hungry to build on solid performances last week. If Gerry Smith is still injured, I would drop Kiernan into the half back line and bring Conor Madden out. I would go Conroy over Moynagh (for the moment) until he gets his fitness back. Mickey Graham said after the Leitrim game that more players were coming back, so I wonder is Conor Brady near return. I would also start Martin Reilly as a half forward and if we're doing well, bring in Cian Madden.

I don't have a clue, but based on the fact that he is gone almost three years I would say that we have (sadly) seen the last of Dara McVeety. When he was interviewed by We Are Cavan he seemed completely disillusioned with county football and all the sacrifices. If he hadn't gone travelling, i think with lockdown and the lack of commuting might have made participation on the panel in 2020 possible for him and he would have gotten the Ulster senior medal his long-standing commitment and performances deserved. But such is life.

The We Are Cavan lads reckon Gerry Smith wasn’t working with the other subs after the game so they thought he’ll be out a few weeks.

Conor Smith was late back to the panel with Martin Reilly due to injury and I’m beginning to think he may have more impact off the bench with his speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Not GAA related but what a performance by Leona Maguire

She really is an incredibly brilliant ambassador for our County

She's making us famous!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Yeah, i watched the last few holes, she’s makes it look easy. That’s a huge win for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Great for Leona. No doubt Paul Fitz will be bleating on about the Mount Rushmore debacle now. For a man who should have a hard neck to be a journalist, he takes any bit of criticism very personally.

Cavan team named. Just one change. Gearoid in for Gerry Smith.

Be interesting to see if that is what lines up. Weather for later not looking great and pitch is going to be soaking after rainfall yesterday.

It’s rare that Cavan win by six points and I’m disappointed but the second half today was very poor. We were nine or ten points up at half time so why not push on? Sligo have made a statement today by absolutely battering Carlow.

We came out in the second half and greatly lacked intensity. A high amount of backs on the pitch also and Martin Reilly & Madden brought on when I would have been more interested in seeing someone like Caoimhin Reilly get a few minutes.

Caoimhin Reilly got at least 10 minutes but never got near the ball. You are right in that we should be putting up bigger scores, Wexford were brutal.

I left after the Ray Galligan point. Did Smith get injured in the added time? I thought the game would be on Northern Sound in the car but they had the Monaghan game on.

I saw number 18 on and didn’t even realise it was him. Did they announce the change? He looks to me to have bulked up a bit.

Thought Gerry Smith did well at running at them and trying to break lines but he left his shooting boots at home.

They didn’t mention that even on a quick recap they had on Northern Sound.

Its difficult to draw lines of form at the minute after 2 games. Leitrim beat Tipp away so that 4 point win in Carrick may be better than we thought.

Sligo struggled over the line last week against that poor Wexford team, albeit away, so they may not be as good as we think. 28 points is fair scoring in any game though.

I was at Sligo game today, couldnt make Breffni, Carlow were so bad an average club team would beat them. Sligo have Murphy at FF who is decent but Faulkner should be able for him. Carrabine at wing forward is other danger man. They are weak around the middle so a big press on their kick outs is key. They are full of running and confidence and took some great scores today (all ve it under no pressure) so cavan will need to be up for it.

I’d actually worry about Faulkner. He had a great 2019 but in 2020 he had a year to forget and his form doesn’t seem to have recovered since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

I think you’re mixing up your years there.

I wouldnt, a quality player a former all star, who had one poor season like nearly every cavan player last year. Has rarely let us down.

I thought Faulkner had quite a good game today

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Yeah I agree I thought he was excellent today and kicked a serious point when we needed it.

Definitely needed it and a great point it was, 2020 falkner was absolutely brilliant but I think he is getting there again. It’s still February.

Yep, I am. 2020 and 21 just ran into each other the way things ended up. It’s crazy to think this is Grahams 4th year in charge because his tenure doesn’t seem to have been as long as that due to Covid.

Terry Hyland’s seemed longer but he was only there from halfway through 2012 to the end of 2016.

Re Faulkner, he had a shocker last year, particularly against Wicklow. There’s no doubting his quality but any player can go through a loss of form and his last year was quite spectacular.

We were very good in the first half and kicked some great scores. Wexford came to try and disrupt us at all costs but we mostly let our football do the talking. I could see what Cavan were doing in the second half in terms of game management against a tight wind. up until their goal. It wasn't very exciting and against better opposition our general lethargy could have cost us. From being 9 up a goal and a point and we started to look a bit nervous so that point from Podge was very welcome.

Lots of positives: Clarke was superb, the Gunner, Moynagh and Gerry Smith all played well. Gearoid a cut above in the first half. James Smith also did well and another nice cameo from Martin Reilly. On another day we would have scored at least one goal but good that we are creating chances. On the downside, what was gained from a clearly goosed Thomas Galligan playing 70 minutes? And poor Conor Smith. How unlucky is that guy?

Wexford are very poor. Even with the strong wind they hadn't any forwards who could take on long range scores. They were gifted some soft frees as well. I thought the officiating was terrible. A bit of handbags in the opening minute and cards are out. Miracle the game ended with 30 men. James Smith shouldn't have been black carded but the linesman was intent on playing a leading role in the first half!

Good point that on Ray Galligan he was probably on the ball more times in the second half than our entire full forward line combined.

There was to much of playing around at the back and then getting turned over, a better team would punish that carry on.

We seem to be readying our system for the Summer to be honest. We're playing Division 4 opposition but at times yesterday we treated them like Division 1 or 2 opposition. Perhaps Mickey is finally seeing that you reap what you sow. Only as recently as 2016 (not that long ago), we were handing hammerings to Armagh and beating Galway at home to secure promotion from Division 2. Now we're in Division 4 and Armagh are going to secure a third year in Division 1 next year it appears and Galway will walk out of Division 2 straight away after spending several years in Division 1. It's frustrating to watch counties that we were ahead of passing us out now. This team will develop very little playing the Wexfords of this world. I hope to god in a few weeks when we play Carlow at home that the changes are rung. For the love of god, if nothing else, give the sub keeper a run. A panel needs to be developed and Martin Reilly and Gearoid McKiernan most likely won't be there when you get back to Division 2.

• Advertisement

The full back could have easily gotten a red card if they umpires called out what they saw. I was in the stands at the halfway line and I could see Lynch was in a headlock. James Smith was brilliant at times but as you said, other teams will now be thinking he can be rattled so he needs to be careful.

Advertisement