Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Yep, the keeper is the only player who has the luxury of watching play and being able to spot gaps all over the field. Doesn't have to track or mark and is free to spot where gaps are. I think he's pretty good at it.

Jack McKenna pulled up when he came on as a sub against Armagh i think. He was named on the panel for the Sligo game, so he's definitely still in there. Paul Smith hasn't been named in any panel since the McKenna cup so i was wondering if he was the other player Damien Donohoe was alluding to.

Mickey Graham specifically referenced Conor Brady and despite HS nonsense rumours that he had left the panel, he said he hoped he would be back before the league ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

The hope would be that we win this weekend, which pretty much guarantees promotion, and then there can be more rotation in your final two games against London & Waterford, if warranted.

In fairness to Mickey, he has mixed it up a bit but I do think he could be more open with information and it wouldn’t lead to as much conjecture from supporters.

Haven’t listened to We Are Cavan yet. Will have a listen in the morning on my stroll!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Disappointed with the latest podcast. Somebody, not sure if it was you previously, stated Donohoe getting the U20 job had not affected the podcast. Well, was it not the start of last year and other years that he was complaining re the seniors not releasing a panel list but suddenly its not an issue this year!? I suppose its just a coincidence he got that job since it was last an issue.

He seemed to be making veiled excuses about pitches not being available and a pitch being frozen. I thought the 3G was there for county teams when no pitch was available? Pretty much every ground in the county was waterlogged last week after all the heavy rain. He would have known that early in the week.

There was also very little discussion about the game on the pod because Fitzpatrick wasn't there. I've said it before and will say it again, what's the issue with getting some other contributors? I know Meath has a bigger population so the margins mightn't be as tight with more sales but We Are Meath regularly have 4 lads on their podcast regularly and get other contributors such as PROs. I'm not saying get rid of Fitzpatrick but it would be nice to hear some other voices from within the county. What about a Cian Mackey? Or a Mark McKeever? There are plenty of former players could shed some light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭rrs

I never said don't play him, did I? He is obviously still a very good player but Cavan have been very reliant on him in Division 4. Not enough have stepped up against lower opposition

If McKiernan was missing like Ciaran Brady for the whole League, was there enough fire power to get promoted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mogue77

In all fairness they went to carrick on Shannon with out him against a very fired up Leitrim and paddy Lynch stepped up.

Lynch was very good against Leitrim. He hasn't been as effective since, but some good frees. Or might be that he players better as focal point of attack.

For me, I actually would prefer that they didn't cover the u20s. I mean, how can they even pretend to be objective? If Damien Donohoe wasn't involved that Westmeath performance would have been getting some serious analysis (and critique).

What was the point in having Paul Fitz on this week? "I was away skiing for two weeks and didn't see the games but sure I'll waffle on anyways". I'm not having a go at him- he's a very good writer and good value on the podcast and is as entitled to a break as any of us, but surely they could have gotten someone who was at the game to provide some analysis with Donohoe. Was great having Mickey Brennan on last week for a bit of variety.

Good point on the panel- something that they were (rightly) banging on about for years now "isn't an issue" and most people know who is on the panel. Sure we aren't even given the courtesy of a starting 15 when we get to the ground these days- why expect to know who is actually on the panel? Can someone explain to me why that is such as secret?

Do we know who is on the panel? Were you not speculating above that Paul Smith could be the other player gone from the panel? A few weeks back people on here weren't sure if TED was on the panel or not. Donohoe also had plenty to say a couple of years ago that players should be allowed the prestige of being named on the county panel like it used to be years ago in The Celt. All that is forgotten now though that the county board handed him a job.

I think he realises he is in above his head and I honestly think he had dreams that he might eventually get the Cavan job in years to come but that is gone now. I think he knows himself he will be seeing out the year and will be ushered out the door. I know that's harsh because he's a sound fella but sometimes you need to know your limitations and he didn't know his taking on that job.

I enjoy some of the Cavan Lives but I was a bit surprised by the one with the Gowna lad that lived in America - John White I think. Not sure why exactly a lad that was from America but lived a few years in Gowna warranted a podcast. He hadn't lived any type of extraordinary life. The interviews with the likes of Finn Keenan and Benny Lewis have been excellent though. I also enjoyed the one with Hugh Hourican hugely - he had some great stories to tell.

Hannon and Brennan weren't there enough anyway to make much difference. It's surprising they don't get Mark Farrelly involved on the We Are Cavan side of things but I think he's still playing so he may not want to.

I agree with your sentiment re the low price and stay subscribed all year as its only 60 euro a year but it is badly in need of a few new voices to freshen it up.

I wonder how easy it is to have a full time job, manage an intercounty u20 team and fill enough content for 4 /5 podcasts a week? Fair play to him for doing it, I can barely hold down a full time job, listen to a few podcasts and moan about it on an internet message board :)

• Advertisement

The Cavan lives naturally are a bit hit and miss and depending on the interviewee and their ability to tell a story, but also whether it is a topic that is of interest. Strangely enough, I really like the John White one but that is because I am interested in how people view their identity and sense of place, especially diaspora.

I think Damien Donahoe should probaly have took a break from Podcast while the U20s are involved, and then return in the summer. They could have gotten someone else to fill in alongside Paul Fitz for a few months.

It's an awkard position to be presenting a Podcast, and talk about the team your managing. He has done good work with the Podcast since he started it, it has probaly lost its spark a bit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Is there any chance of Ciaran Brady being back for the Championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Quote I enjoy some of the Cavan Lives but I was a bit surprised by the one with the Gowna lad that lived in America - John White I think. Not sure why exactly a lad that was from America but lived a few years in Gowna warranted a podcast. He hadn't lived any type of extraordinary life. The interviews with the likes of Finn Keenan and Benny Lewis have been excellent though. I also enjoyed the one with Hugh Hourican hugely - he had some great stories to tell.

I haven't listened to the podcast but I know John White, he'd have been a nephew of the original gunner Brady as far as I remember so maybe that explains it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

It’s behind a pay platform and people pay for it so they are more than entitled to give an opinion on it.

He also has sponsors for the other podcast so I don’t think, if it wasn’t worth his time, he wouldn’t be doing it and launching it in other counties.

You said people were expecting the New York Times as if the person providing the podcast shouldn’t have to provide a quality product. You also stated that it’s a “tiny podcast he produces himself” - I was pointing out he takes time to produce it because it’s worth his while. It’s not like he’s a volunteer doing anyone a favour here.

I don’t think people expect the New York Times but they are paying, the author of the product is charging, so where is the issue with expecting a decent product? I don’t think it’s over the top of posters to suggest that it would be nice to hear from some new contributors.

I’ve also heard the full story hasn’t been given re the frozen pitch. The U21s were scheduled to use a pitch at 8 in the morning last Sunday. Very early considering we had a lot of frosty nights last week. Why so early on a Sunday? Because someone had to be in Sligo well in advance of two. Answers on a postcard as to who. A full schedule of ladies games went ahead on pitches at 11.

Post edited by Lemlin on

He should have left Paul Fitzpatrick take it over while he is with the U20's we would have got a good dose of Redhills then.

Yes, I did read your post(s). That being the point, there are a number of posts from you and I’m addressing the ones I find a bit over the top in the defence of someone making a profit from a service they are paid to provide. Like I said, this isn’t a volunteer doing this out of the good of their heart.

I don’t think he should have stopped doing the podcast but I think he should have refrained from commenting on the U20s unless he was doing it as the manager. I would also feel he didn’t paint the full picture in his comments this week which I have outlined above.

Feel free to remain steadfast in your defence of him but I don’t think things are going to get any better with the two upcoming games the 20s have.

• Advertisement

A podcast on Redhills football? That would be over fairly quickly :)

(that's me off Paul Fitz's Christmas card list- as we know from today's podcast and previous ones that he does a bit of lurking here)

Were the u20s not bet out the gate before the Sligo game? Was he not referring to pitches the week before in the podcast?

Haha be careful or he will take a page in a match program whining about us @mylestheslasher

Nope, they were beat Friday night but they tried to train Sunday morning at 8 in Killinkere and the pitch was still frozen because it was so early. He spoke on the podcast about not getting a pitch the Wednesday of the match except for Athlone - every pitch in Cavan was waterlogged because of the rain.

The Sunday training was early because he had to get to Sligo in advance of the match for commentary duties. All pitches were playable later for the ladies games at 11 so it was conveniently left out of his comments on the podcast that the frozen pitch was a factor because of his own schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

A lot of Gaels not happy. Cavan motion passed to move Antrim game out of Corrigan Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Not surprised, I'd have loved to have went to corrigan Park, Belfast is always a great place to go for a game , while I know capacity is reduced I think its unfair on Antrim and hope it's reversed

It's going to give them extra motivation thats for sure. Its a home game for Antrim let them play in Corrigan.

A bit of, what I would see as constructive, criticism on here leads to this week's podcast ending with a near 20 minute monologue about Cavan fans being whiney and moany!

One of the points made, that Cavan are one of only 3 teams with a 100% record in the country (the others being Derry & Galway), is a bit of a null point considering we are playing in the basement of football. You can of course argue that only Derry have done it in Division 4 since 2007 when this League format started but, by the nature of it, it's rare that you get a team like Cavan or Derry falling this far. Cavan went into the 2020 season ranked 6th in the country by the rankings on here. We're now ranked 13th. Would you generally get a team ranked near the top ten in the country in Division 4? I rest my case.

For us to win every game should be the minimum standard expected. I, unrealistically it turned out, expected us to do that last year in Division 3.

Haha them lads can't take criticism and i don't think its good business to be calling people that are paying for your podcast whiney and moany!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

If that is true he should be sacked, what a waste of space. His ego is more important than anything else i suppose, never should have got the job if it is such an inconvenience to him.

Advertisement