Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Was surprised to see a 50 minute podcast on the U20 semi final win. I would have thought it’d be better to try and keep things low key. Great results but nothing won yet. Tyrone have an annoying habit of winning, even against superior teams. We won four Ulster U21s but they only needed one to get the All Ireland in 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Jesus, some people are never happy. There was a whole host of criticism on here about WAC not covering the u20s earlier and now that they have a podcast covering A REALLY SIGNIFICANT WIN they are supposed to ignore it? I listened to it- it wasn't like Damien was crowing about how amazing he was or giving away trade secrets before the final. Look it Cavan_King, you were very clear that you thought one of your former coaches should have gotten the job- but even you at this stage have to tip your cap and recognise that the u20 management team have (shock horror) done a really good job. You were wrong, no harm in admitting it. Just get behind the team.

For "Cavan fans" there are some quare odd balls on here. There was some off the charts scour spewed on here about the u20 management team before a ball was thrown in, about the podcast and nonsense about the commitment of the management team* and yet when we reach our first u20 final in 8 years most of those "fans" seem to have run for the hills, or the "let's judge Donohoe on his results" seem to have neglected to do just that. It was the kind of unhinged nonsense you'd expect on Hogan Stand, but not on here.

*and it might be added, that the two or three of us who said "let's judge the team on its performances- and let's support our county u20s" were accused of either being Damien Donohoe, Damien Donohoe's dad or Paul Fitzpatrick in disguise (or in my case, all three).

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blue47

I was surprised they mentioned U20's on the podcast because they are aware of the sniping going on and were leaving themselves open to criticism but I thought it was great to get the insights mentioned and Damian Donohue sounds exactly like the sort of lad you want to be looking after these young players.

I don’t remember criticism for not covering the U20s. I was the opposite - I criticised Damien Donohoe for giving an interview when he took the job. I actually said I’d prefer the manager to leave discussing the 20s to Paul Fitzpatrick and another e.g. Mickey Brennan or Hannon. I think that’s a fair enough opinion to be honest.

The crowing was left to Fitzpatrick on his behalf and I don’t think Damien told him to stop, that would be my criticism.

I would also see it as the role of the manager to encourage the lads to keep their feet on the ground and play down the match - not do a 50 minute podcast on it building up the hype. Nothing has been won yet and there is a game there to be won.

The match can be covered by other individuals on the podcast for a review.

Again, I’ll say I’m delighted with the win and run and I’m sure you’ll remember I had no problem coming on here and saying I had criticised the man previously. As I said then, will be delighted if he proves his doubters wrong on Friday week.

Where have I failed to admit it?

Where did I say I was part of the Crosserlough minor management team? I said I’m part of a minor management team alright - don’t believe I said it was for my own club though.

• Advertisement

Can you send me on the list of minor managers and selectors for each club in the county that you have? It’ll be an interesting read.

While you’re at it, who are your own club? I don’t believe you’ve ever confirmed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

I listened to the podcast and I had no issue with anything on it. In fact, I would say Damien was very careful what he said and any little nugget of info he dropped I'm sure was completely intentional knowing its likely to get back to Tyrone.

Donohoe has clearly done a great job getting a team that no one I know had any great expectations off and a team missing many of its star players.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I wouldn’t know much about this age group in the county. What star players are missing?

I am a tad confused though as speaking to some people earlier in the year St Pats expected big things from their Ranafast team. Is that not this age group?

Finbarr Reilly also mentioned it in his JMac Pod that they were disappointed with the group they had to only make the QFs. Maybe I’m wrong but I thought a lot of the Ranafast players would be U20 so how can St Pats have big expectations yet posters here state nothing was expected of the group?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

Ranafast is alot younger than u-20. The closest age group in school football would be the McCrory it's U-19.

I put the wrong title on it then. Was definitely the eldest age group as players like Conor Casey & Daragh Lovett mentioned. Must be MacCrory. The people I spoke to were also speaking about Leaving Cert age players. One had a son doing the LC and the topic came up when I asked him how his lad was getting on.

The St Pats & Finbarr Reilly’s high expectations of the group doesn’t tally with the narrative on this board that there were no expectations of the age group?

Post edited by Lemlin on

• Advertisement

Did one of those minor groups not perform well in the League two years ago though, beating the likes of Tyrone, before throwing away the championship game against Monaghan? A game they should have won.

Minor results are not always fully indicative. Some of the U21 winning teams had lost at the first hurdle at minor for example.

Looking through the panel list there are lads who are established at senior level for their clubs and people like Cian Reilly and Fiontainn O’Reilly who have Cavan senior team experience.

Finbarr Reilly was working with the players in Pats and seemed hugely disappointed with the QF exit and I’d rate his opinion.

My point is more re the narrative of some on the forum here, not my own expectations - Cavan group constantly talked down, opposition talked up. Like I said, I don’t know much about the age level but looking at the panel there are well known players who are playing senior football for senior clubs, some even for the county, despite their young age.

There are also other good players I know of who have played for Cavan at numerous underage development team and levels but aren’t making the cut now. Surely those lads would be needed if the quality on offer was so poor?

A constant problem for Cavan teams has been scoring forwards but this team have Lovett and Fionntain O’Reilly.

I had no expectations in the manager, particularly after last year, and am honest about that. He has proven me wrong.

I'm not sure about the championships starting so early it's going to feel strange with all been over by the end of July. Used to enjoy watching it into September and felt like summer wasn't over until after the All-Ireland finals.

Anyone have views on it?

Unfortunately it could be over for us a lot sooner than July. I’m looking forward to the club championship to be honest. Some wrongs to put right and some things are great to see:

14mins 1st Half 

Gowna: 0-3(3)

Crosserlough: 0-6(6)

Crosserlough point from play Dara McVeety

No doubt it will but club doesn't really get going till championship anyway ,league will be well on before county players involved.

A fair few teams putting very little effort into the league this year without their county men. It’s a pity to see but I think running it off is the correct way to go.

Have we ever had a weekend before with Cavan seniors, U20s and minors playing?

Tough on the minors. I reckon there will be a decent crowd in Brewster. Tickets for Corrigan are hard to come by so plenty of fans will head down Friday- even if it’s a rubbish night for anyone involved in a club set up.

Are tickets for Corrigan hard to come by? I assumed they were easy enough to get as I've seen numerous clubs on social media posting about tickets. The county board have also offered to move any U13 boys fixtures scheduled for Saturday at 12 (had originally been 1) to Saturday the 30th. I had assumed this was another move to encourage people to travel as the ticket allocation wasn't gone.

Listening to the WAC podcast with Cahair O'Kane, I rewinded it to listen to his opinion twice but I can't even remember now, only a day later, if he tipped Cavan or Antrim. He certainly wasn't concrete either way and stumbled through his prediction - in the end I think he said a month ago he would have tipped Antrim but now he backs Cavan to just about get over the line with difficulty.

More interesting were his comments re Tyrone having three good man markers when they come up against any team - Hampsey. McKernan & McNamee. Who would those three be for Cavan? Faulkner hasn't rediscovered the form of 2020. Killian Clarke has been playing out the pitch. I'd see Jason McLoughlin as a good man marker but he has also been playing further forward. Whilst we're by no means an attacking force, I actually have concerns about our defence given how we have struggled against marquee forwards in the last couple of years - Quigley, McCurry, McGuigan, Sweeney.

As another O'Kane point said, the problem with Cavan is that you really don't know what you are going to get. Back to the age old adage - the consistent thing about this Cavan team is, unfortunately for us, their inconsistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

County Board got 1500 for sideline terrace. No stand for supporters. And a limited number went on sale for behind two goals.

• Advertisement

He did an RTE Show with Des Cahill back around 2013/2014. He has also been doing bits on BBC and Northern Sound.

He certainly made some interesting calls in the first 45 minutes that I've listened to. Tipping Derry in Ulster for example. Both he and O'Kane have tipped Monaghan. The media attention on Armagh seems to have gone quiet.

He then proceeded to tip Galway for Connacht. That surprised me also, it's very hard to call but Mayo and Roscommon will be hard beat.

There was some tickets available earlier today on ulster gaa website.

WAC reckon tickets still available as I thought. I think the problem was alot of people expected not to get tickets so didn't plan to travel. To be honest, after the drab Division 4 campaign and final, the team haven't exactly given punters anything to be excited about. Hopefully that will change come Saturday.

The latest WAC pod took a bit of a turn towards the end I thought re players not giving interviews. I realise the two lads are always going to support the media but I would applaud the players for their stance - do any of us really want to listen to an uninteresting interview where a player goes through the motions and the same crap cliches are thrown out?

After all, the manager had already provided them with an interview and spoken for the team. The players are giving enough of their time in a shortened seasoned where things are very condensed at the moment without having to throw the media tidbits of information.

The days of anything interesting being unearthed in a media interview are long gone. You might get something after a game when emotions are high but certainly not before it.

It's just the way it is these days. No county player is saying anything off the record in the build up any more. Neil McGee (I think) said it was a waste of time talking to players these days as they more or less all have a vow of silence about what is going on at training and the like. It's all media managed and not unique to Cavan. The only interesting interviews are possibly going to be when someone hangs up their boots, and only if they don't have aspirations to coach or manage. McVeety and Clarke in 2019 were very raw and honest, for example, but otherwise it tends to be "one game at a time, hope we take our chances" and so on.

It doesn't help media twist things and take things out of context. I'm not saying our local media do but that is a lot of the problem.

It was Eamonn McGee who said it on the GAA Hour and he said he wouldn't even ask his own brother Neil a question about what night Donegal train because you won't get a straight answer. He was pointing toward how secretive panels are. I have to admit I do have an issue with dummy teams and the use of them but I don't have any issue with players not offering cliche ridden interviews where they go through the motions.

What team are people expecting?

Here's what I'd like to see and don't believe its beyond the realms of possibility:

Galligan

Fortune Faulkner Clarke

G Smith Moynagh McLoughlin

Galligan, Conor Brady

J Smith, McKiernan, Cian Madden

Caoimhin Reilly, P Lynch, Cormac O'Reilly

• Advertisement

I did say it’s what I’d like to see more than what I’d expect. I’ve given my thoughts on Gunner before so I won’t repeat that.

Stephen Smith did have his moments in the League final but I still have doubts about his intercounty quality.

There’s always room for another Crosserlough man in the full forward line if he was available though!

Advertisement