Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Just pointing out that you couldn’t comprehend the point correctly.

No, games in October/November don’t have the pitch saturated now - that wasn’t my point either.

My point was that the advice from the renowned pitch expert company in October was that the pitch was getting cut up due to bad weather and to stop all games on it, where possible.

The games continued so the pitch didn’t get to recover and now we’re in this situation two weeks out from League.

I’m all for giving underage players a final in Breffni but there were inexplicable delays in some of the competitions which meant they ran late when they should have been completed in September.

So was Killian Brady and I’m told he was putting up Instagram posts from a cruise on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭celt262

Yeah he was but so was Gearoid who you said hadn't been in any panel.

I knew what you were saying but take anything you say with a pinch off salt after the shenanigans you have got up to here over the last while. I'm surprised you even have the neck to post here tbh.

There are mods and a report post button if you have any issue. I was contacted by a mod about an issue a few months back, I presume the one you are referring to, and explained it and guess what, I’m still here so I won’t be explaining myself to you.

From your initial posts, you appear to have been aware the CB were told not to play any more games on Breffni as you didn’t argue that point until now.

Now you’re resorting to an attempt at a bit of mud slinging because you’ve lost the argument.

It’s an anonymous message board by the way. Not exactly a highly respected debating area.

• Advertisement

Did you miss the English comprehension part of school? It does last a few years but I have my doubts.

Read my post again and please note the word “starting” before panel.

Where have I argued anything about County board and them been told not to play any more games in there?

An anonymous board that you feel the need to put childish messages on top of your posts incase someone screenshot them elsewhere 😉

You haven’t argued it which is the point. I stated that several posts ago and you didn’t question it. You tried to argue the number of juvenile games was minimal - fact is they were told to play none at all by the experts.

If you want to prove me wrong, contact the ground staff in Breffni or a CB member.

If I wanted my stuff posted on Facebook, I’d post it myself.

Anyway, I’m walking away from the keyboard now because this is fruitless. People want to discuss Cavan GAA, not your nitpicking when you’ve lost an argument.

Let’s hope we see a good display from Cavan this evening as according to We Are Cavan Tyrone are expected to name a very strong team.

That’s on the free podcast so even you’ll be able to hear it if you’re still following your tactic of cancelling your subscription in the off season.

See I didn't argue anyhing, you just jumped on your high horse. I stated two underage games wouldn't have had to much effect on the pitch as November was a dryish month that's not arguing.

I also didn't "argue" about CB been told not to use the pitch as its likely they were and it makes sense.

Not everyone who makes a comment on one off your posts is arguing with you.

To right you wouldn't post it on Facebook but maybe Lemlin would 😉

By the way I don't subscribe or listen to Wearecavan or havent in years.

• Advertisement

One play summed that game up for me. Tiarnan Madden bursts forward and runs 40 or 45 yards, breaks the Tyrone line, finds himself on their 20 metre line but doesn’t shoot. Recycles. Within ten seconds, the ball is back out around midfield and we lose it after a bit of back and forth. Tyrone then score within a minute or so.

Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭rrs

Some of the kick passing was terrible in the first.Big aimless balls. An improvement in second half. McVeety with another good showing,great point off his left foot. Brandon Boylan has done well in the 3 games and will likely be involved in League games. Oisin Brady too.

Darragh Canavan is class. Lovely balance and movement like his father.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Similar to the first half of the Armagh game, when they closed off the long ball option we didn't have the running game to stay in the game. We need a proper running game if we plan on getting league promotion.

A good McKenna Cup overall, Oisin Brady with 3 solid games under his belt and looking like a real addition to the starting team if he stays fit.

Ryan O'Neill looks like he could be an option, won lots of possession. David Brady did some good things tonight but poor end product.

Our defence is a worry though. McVeety is showing aggression and stability at centre back but Faulkner isn't inspiring confidence in full back. Mickey needs to do something about that ljne, it cost us a Tailteann Cup last year.

There were four Cavan players over on the far wing doing sprints and other rehab before the game that must be nearing fitness. I didn’t see who all four were but one was Jason McLoughlin and another Jack McKenna.

I think McLoughlin definitely has to feature in the full back line this year.

Finnegan did well I thought but will we see him come the League?

Faulkner may have won an All Star at Full Back but I don’t believe he’s a natural man marker. We saw him struggle throughout 2021 with Division 3 marquee forwards so perhaps the time has come to move him out to midfield where he tends to play for his club.

McVeety showed what a threat he is at the end of the game so does he stay at 6 or move further forward?

Brian O’Rourke made two excellent catches at the end when he came out the pitch. The ball wasn’t being played in enough to leave him in the FF line.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

In fairness Faulkner looked knackered and given he missed last game I wonder was he sick maybe. That was a strong Tyrone team and Cavan have at least 6 players to come back into the starting team to my mind. Playing and competing with two Div1 teams is great preparation for the league and to be honest maybe playing another game in a final so close to the league might not have been ideal anyway. I'm optimistic we can do a job on Westmeath 1st day out now and set ourselves up well for a good league run.

Post edited by mylestheslasher on

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

I think McVeety needs to stay at 6. With Lynch, Gearoid, Oisin Brady in current form, Ryan O'Neill, James Smith all available for the full forward line, I think our options at centre back are much more limited if everyone is fit.

Division 3 is going to be tough. A win the first day out is vital.

McVeety would be a good player to pick up Ronan O Toole on the 40 for Westmeath,assuming he's playing. Conor Brady wasn't the player to mark him in the Tailtean Cup final and got destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

How can a well managed/coached team continuesly go 20,25,30, minutes without scoring a point from play, still looks like we are playing with the fear of shooting,unless its from frees or 20/25 metres out. From a spectators p.o.v. it beggars belief

Going on midfield last night, I’d have James Smith out there. Will he return for two weeks though? 4 players there before the match that must be nearing fitness and no sign of Gearoid, James Smith or Paddy Lynch I don’t think in the four.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mogue77

James smith was there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

It's the McJenna Cup lad, don't panic just yet.

Stewartsown gave a decent performance in the All Ireland Junior final against fossa. They pipped Drumlane on penalties in Ulster final.

Their discipline was terrible though. 4 sent off . 1 was a particularly bad elbow into Paudi Cliffords facem

In the foursome doing fitness work before the game? I didn’t think he was.

I didn’t see who was in the four but I did see him coming back in after running and he was togged out and talking to Micky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I was originally thinking that if Jason was fit, he should pick up O'Toole. He should have had him in Croke park, and when he was put on him, he made a huge difference. However, i think you could be right on this and with McVeety's energy and power, he could not only put the shackles on O'Toole but also drag him up the park. Maybe stick Jason on Loughlin and Gerry Smith on Wallace, who caused a lot of problems. My biggest fear is our scoring threat if one of Gearoid or Lynch don't start to put up a big enough score to win in Mullingar.

Yeah agree ,McLoughlin should have been on O Toole from the start. He's a similar build to O Toole and pacy. Conor Brady is a big powerful player wasn't suited to marking him

Wallace does a lot of damage from Centre back. They are strong down the spine of the team, Ray Connellan is a good midfielder.

I don't think Clarke is a County midfielder but they seem to be going with him there for now with injuries m

Sean McEvoy seems to have left his soccer career in America. He played a trial game with Bohemians at the weekend. Bohs are full time so wouldn't be any of him playing County.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Clarke's adaptability and willingness to put in a shift possibly have damaged him tying down a position. He's probably played in every position barring goals for Cavan at this stage. I thought he was one of our most consistent performers last year. He was very solid and unspectacular in midfield (often listed at centre half back, but was always out the middle). He did the dirty work that allowed Galligan or Smith to charge forward. He was far better than Galligan in the middle in most games they partnered up barring the Fermanagh match.

I agree with Cavan King that if fit, Smith has to start in the middle. Whilst he is very effective in as a target man for full forward, we are really robbing Peter to pay Paul. Without Galligan in there, we need Smith to be that wrecking ball midfielder and if that is the case then Clarke is in there to provide some cover for those runs. I know it depends on fitness but I would prefer Lynch and Gearoid as twin targets in there. A fully fit Martin Reilly playing off them would cause some mayhem.

Any word on any challenge matches or player’s back from injury?

• Advertisement

Nope, Cavan like to keep everything very quiet.

This team hasn’t a hope of starting in the below positions but, everyone being fit, this is what I’d look at:

Galligan

Finnegan

K Clarke

McLoughlin

Ciaran Brady

Conor Brady

Tiernan Madden

Faulkner

James Smith

G Smith

O Kiernan

Oisin Brady

Lynch

Gearoid

McVeety

Martin Reilly & Killian Brady available off the bench. McLoughlin to man mark wherever he is needed. Faulkner tried at midfield as he’s not a man marker.

2 man full forward line and tell McVeety he’s that good to just pop up on the pitch wherever he’s needed.

Advertisement