Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Cavan: J Reilly, M Cahill, T Corr, M Brady, M McKeever (0-01), J McCutcheon, J McEnroe (0-01), D Givney, G McKiernan, F Flanagan, M Lyng, N Murray, N McDermott 0-01, f), E Keating (0-04, 1F), S Johnston (0-03, 2F).

Subs: G Smith for Murray (18), R Flanagan for F Flanagan (41), M Brennan (0-01, ’45) for McCutcheon (41), C Mackey for Lyng (51)

I think “brutal” is unfair. James Reilly was a keeper twice I think nominated for an All Star. Mossy Corr was a great servant to the county and had some fine games. James McEnroe was a great addition for the few years he played. McKeever is still playing and has had an illustrious 20 year playing career at club level.

It’s actually shocking to think that players like Corr, McKeever, McEnroe, Gibney, McKiernan, Murray, McDermott, R Flanagan & Mackey played in that drubbing by Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭celt262

Miller was problem best keeper we ever had in a era when kickouts went out the field. McEnroe was one of them lads who never played that much league through injury but always available for championship.

Post edited by celt262 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Agree ré Miller and mc cutcheon had a pretty decent time as a Cavan player

Johnston done another bit with Off The Ball. I was wondering, like others, why he is tackling the subject after ten years but I actually think that him bringing the topic back to the fore is more about his embarrassment re how poor he was in Kildare rather than anything to do with Cavan.

Surprised to hear from the podcasts that he got the Ballybay job. They are the current Monaghan senior champions and his experience amounts to a year with Cuchulainns and then a year as Cavan forwards coach. I wouldn’t have expected him to land a senior club job in Cavan for example.

Mickey Hannon, who works with him, would have put in a good word for him I’d imagine but Hannon is actually more experienced in my book than Johnston.

Sad news out of offaly tonight with the passing of Liam kearns. A very good manager who gave us our fill of it on a few occasions

May he Rip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

On reflection, his interview with Niblock and McConville finishes with his longer term aspirations to manage Cavan. Perhaps the interview is all part of the "process".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Very sad news. A very good manager, well respected and a very decent person as well.

Anyone heading up to the game on Saturday? I'm going to give this one a miss the early start doesn't suit but not sure if i'd travel anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Afraid not, I've gone to all games so far but 2pm on Saturday after St Patrick's day is a ridiculous time for a match plus a 3hr drive for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

I would imagine it will be a very small crowd. Cavan's motivation is bound to be low for this, you'd expect we'll get through based on superior talent.

Not exactly an enticing fixture to travel for.

• Advertisement

The county board aren’t exactly encouraging people to travel either. There was a round of U15 fixtures down for last Saturday but they moved them all to 11 on the 18th after they were postponed due to the snow last weekend.

I can’t see many pitches being playable with the weather we’ve been having.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Lads i'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to the club scene since i stopped playing, I was looking up the club fixtures, and Killygarry aren't listed in any division for the league?? An error on Cavangaa.ie, I assume???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Might be a bye in round 1 or/and still have to be added to the website id imagine.

Couple of changes from last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mogue77

Interesting to see Cian reilly coming in for dara, has dara a knock or is he giving him a rest, no point in burning dara if he has a niggle, Cian is a good player and hopefully will do well. It will be good to get a look at another good player in jack McKenna. Best of luck to all the lads tomorrow.

I’d expect changes to that starting 15. I’ve never seen McKenna play midfield for Laragh. He plays on the 40 or full forward to my knowledge.

I would expect to see James Smith come in for some playing time.

Dara has played every game this year I think so no harm to give him a week off. Not sure if any other player has featured in every single game.

I thought it was lunacy earlier in the season getting Dara & Gerry to play 3 McKenna Cup games I think it was in a week.

Hoping for a good win today and seal promotion in style though I'd have my doubts we'll do it the easy way

FFS

I'm afraid mickey owns that one... Far too many changes in a settled team

How does that leave us now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You can't always hand pass your way through games. Sometimes you have to kick the ball in and not starve your forwards of possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Have to beat Fermanagh or could end up in three way tie and Westmeath would have us on scoring.

Edit if Fermanagh beat westmeath I think we are promoted.

Post edited by celt262 on

If Fermanagh beat Westmeath today they join us on 10 pts, Westmeath can only get 8 pts at most. Down and Offaly still have hope i think.

We need a draw to be sure, even if we lose very good chance of promotion have we not.

Yeah but only 1 off them as they play each other and we have both on head to head.

Bit off a joke to be in this position.

Maybe Cavan had a heavy weeks training this week, who knows, getting promoted is the important thing. Didn’t get to listen on the radio, what was the problem today?

Poor performance but I’d prefer the lads get a bit of a kick up the arse now. Antrim were always going to be hugely pumped up and looks like our lads were too complacent.

Re promotion, I still think it’d be some mess if we didn’t get promoted from here.

Bottom line is you’ve to beat Fermanagh at home to get promoted. If you can’t do that, you don’t deserve to be in Division 2 anyway.

Fermanagh beating Westmeath well at moment if it stays like that we're up with them.

Westmeath just got two goals!!

• Advertisement

Advertisement