Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭celt262

OK I think we are promoted thanks to Fermanagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Did Fermanagh beat Offaly, if so they’re promoted also?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Yep I think we are. Cahair O’Kane said earlier only us, Fermanagh or Offaly can be promoted now and if we lose to Fermanagh next week, we’ve Offaly on head to head.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Well that was an extremely disappointing result, I wasn't there, so hard to comment too much on it, The Lads whom came on seemed to make a big difference, hopefully Gearoid,James Smith etc start against Fermanagh.

I listened to it on the radio but annoying that they keep skipping to other games.

Seemed like when the game was in the melting pot, the ref made a few home decisions.

Conor Madden sounded to have made his presence felt when he came on.

Paddy Lynch missed a free which would have been vital because we were four down and in the next play he scored his goal.

• Advertisement

Radio was annoying I doubt even many in Monaghan were tuning in to listen to how there hurlers were getting on.

Through injury or for whatever reason there was to many changes in defence today and I'd hope to see McLoughlin and are two off our best players in Mcvetty and Carolan back next week. Though James Smith should have started also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

That was a very limp display. I can’t help feeling that we thought we only had to show up to win this. Fair play to Antrim, they out-fought us for every ball & treated it like a championship match. We looked like it was a challenge game for large parts.

we also looked very leggy, I wonder did we do a lot of training in the last two weeks.

of the subs, Conor Madden looked superb, Conor Smith was lively and David Brady did well:

I’m a huge James Smith fan but he’s not fit and did very little today.

The ref was poor and one decision was a joke. We had got back to one, Antrim were reeling and Cian Reilly had stopped an attack and was fouled and the ref inexplicably gave a free in that they tapped over and took the pressure off. It was a joke of a decision.

The disappointing thing was that Antrim swarm tackled us and made us work to get into any scoring a position, whereas they got their scores at ease. We didn’t put a glove on them.

McKenna had an interesting debut. He should have scored three goals in the first half. Not sure how he missed the one which he fisted over for a point.

Offaly beat Fermanagh in Tullamore I think.

I was disappointed to see Killian Brady & Moynagh back in. If Carolan wasn’t available, why not bring Finnegan back in?

I don’t think Moynagh is a starting player anymore and I don’t think Killian Brady should be either.

How did Cian Reilly do? McKenna? It sounded from the radio like McKenna got about but he was hooked early enough.

Look it’s disappointing but the bottom line is we’re promoted. That was the goal.

Hopefully that’s the bad performance out of our system. To be honest, things were too positive. No harm for fans and players to get a dose of reality as the serious business starts.

• Advertisement

Cian Reilly came into the game as it went on. I thought McKenna did well, carried the ball well and unlucky not to score a few goals. Went asleep a few times at Fermanagh kick outs but wasn’t the only one to be honest.

Given the amount of rain it was no surprise that the pitch was heavy but it seemed to be a bigger problem for our lads.

Look it, if you have one team treating it like an all Ireland final & the other team knowing they are all but promoted, it’s no surprise if there is a difference in levels of intensity. And that was the difference today. Collectively it was a very poor showing. And then we played for 12 minutes and almost snatched a win!

Cian Reilly came into the game as it went on. I thought McKenna did well, carried the ball well and unlucky not to score a few goals. Went asleep a few times at Fermanagh kick outs but wasn’t the only one to be honest.

Given the amount of rain it was no surprise that the pitch was heavy but it seemed to be a bigger problem for our lads.

Look it, if you have one team treating it like an all Ireland final & the other team knowing they are all but promoted, it’s no surprise if there is a difference in levels of intensity. And that was the difference today. Collectively it was a very poor showing. And then we played for 12 minutes and almost snatched a win!

That ref decision was highlighted on the radio a lot, along with some others.

I agree with you re the need of the two teams. I am actually taking the Antrim reaction as a huge compliment. The way they and their media are reacting online, it’s like they just beat Dublin.

The reality is they’ve just had a home win against a team promoted from Division Four. It was always going to be the worst possible time to play them after the hammering they took the last day.

This may also take a bit of the media attention off Cavan and give some of our supporters a reality check - I know he reads this forum, despite his attempts to argue that he doesn’t, but when ya hear Paul Fitz saying Cavan at 4-1 ON is a good bet ya know you’re in trouble!!!

Yeah Offaly won by a point and Fermanagh beat Down so that means that Down can’t get promoted even if they beat Offaly in the last game?

If Cavan beat Fermanagh and Offaly beat Down then Offaly are promoted and Fermanagh lose out?

I agree: it’s not doom and gloom, but a handy reminder that while this panel is definitely on the up, they can’t expect to win games at walking pace.

on good news, Oisin Brady was taking part in pre-match drills, and Martin Reilly & Oisin Kiernan doing serious work before throw in. No sign of Jason though; or Carolan.

Correct. Big game for Offaly.

after todays performance, i would expect a reaction from us on Sunday. So Offaly have a real chance next Sunday

Or Dara Mc I would imagine from the rumours I am hearing?

He was doing drills with Oisin and Martin. All three looking very lively.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

fcuk ye , i forgot ye had been promoted last week and out of range today , like half the country put ye in my acca today as a kicker at 2/9 , it seems i am the only one that got kicked out of it

your a top class side , still regard ye as division 1 , upper division 2 team but days like today need to stop , ye surly are good enough to make them changes and still win today

• Advertisement

I’d agree we should be but Antrim had extra incentive and hunger today - the beating we gave them in the championship last year and their hammering in the last round by Westmeath.

There’s a video doing the rounds on social media and you can see Gearoid McKiernan walking down the pouch after the final whistle and one of the Antrim lads is giving him loads even after the game has ended.

They were hugely up for it.

The full back (Lynch) was hanging out of Gearoid, and goading him from the minute he came on. Linesman was watching but did nothing but had no problem (correctly) flagging Moynagh’s trip for a black card. Lynch should have been carded at least for his blatant of the ball skullduggery.

One of McAntee’s team was in the stands and flew from his seat to berate the linesman for failing to spot a transgression from the Gunner in the first five minutes. Some of the fans were screaming steps before Cavan even had the ball in hand. It was like a championship game for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blue47

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Losing to Antrim is damaging, even if there are mitigating circumstances. There are positives though. It was a good comeback and with some stronger refereeing we could have got a result.

There were some sub par performances from experienced players yesterday. Mickey will probably be a bit more certain about his pecking order after that.

Two games against Fermanagh now and a chance to put that Antrim game to bed and pick up some silverware before Armagh come to town.

I presume he does as it was Dara I had referenced. I heard a rumour he had done his hamstring and was a doubt for the Armagh game but thankfully it appears it was pub talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭rrs

Cavan are a good team but not top class. Top class would be a Kerry or Galway .

Ulster looks very average,Derry probably the most solid looking team. Tyrone beat Monaghan today but they weren't that impressive against a 13 men Monaghan.

Division 2 next year: 

Meath 

Louth 

Cavan 

Kildare 

Cork 

Donegal 

Monaghan (looking most probable)

Fermanagh/Offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 21,006 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Advertisement