Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

I think we are a mid division two, standard team at present to be honest, Capable of beating one or two of the division one teams on a good day, but also capable of getting beaten by very substandard teams like we did on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭rrs

Compared to Derry who will be Division 1 next year it's a bit off. In the last couple of years Cavan have lost to Antrim,Wicklow, scrapped past London last year in the League.

Cavan are Division 2 at best currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

As noted, it could be Louth or Dublin. But with no ill-will to Clare or Limerick, that wouldn't be a bad division to be in. Cork aside, no massive journeys. Possible tasty local derbies. Would be nice to get Monaghan* or Meath in Breffni for a Saturday night game.

*I know they could technically perform their last day heroics again to cheat relegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

It will be tough division next year, Cavan and probably Fermanagh, are far stronger than Limerick in my opinion, Clare are a very solid outfit whom just haven't caught any breaks in this campaign.

Potentially, Monaghan, Cavan Meath, Louth, all in the same division as you say, it will be ultra competitive, We will want to come out all guns blazing next February or we could find ourselves back in Division 3 in 2025.

Good man Hammar- that's the Cavan spirit. We've not even finished the 2023 season and you're planning our league campaign for 2025 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,006 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Will Cavan have to go to Cork, or could it be a home game for Cavan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭celt262

Come back next December or January and we will let you know.

If we get Cork for the opening game of the league in 2024, it will be in Cork.

It's in the rule book for the Allianz League that Cavan must play their opening games away.

Cork are a kind of standard Division 2 team. They are capable of beating anyone but then lose to teams they should beat. They have lots of good players but consistency always their issue.

Pairc Ui Chaoimh would be a nice ground to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

If Louth don't achieve it this year (playing Dublin in Croke Park so unlikely they will) Cavan will have the chance next year of being the first team to go from Div 4 to Div 1 in consecutive years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

In fairness, the teams that I expect to leave Div 2, Dublin & Derry, are far superior to the Donegal and Monaghan teams that will be joining it. Well Monaghan probably!

That’s not saying there’ll be anything easy about the Division but we should be more than capable of consolidating our position. Meath, for example, haven’t beaten us in near a decade despite fairly regular meetings.

The last updated ranking table on this site put us at number 12 (we may fall from that in this weeks as we lost and number 13 Kildare won) but I would see that as being realistic of where we are at the moment.

Not only that, IF we didn't stay in Division two next year, it would be yet another year where we moved divisions. Since 2016 we've been on the move, down and up. "Inconstancy is our very essence", says the Cavan supporter 😊

If we went got promoted to division one in 2024 it would be even more remarkable, from 2019 (division one) down to division four and back up again.

Anyways, more important things at hand. Sunday for a local Derby for one.

Is Sunday that important a game? I don’t think it is. We’ve been promoted and we potentially play them a week later.

I’d like to see players like Faulkner, Gerry Smith and Ciaran Brady given a rest and a mix of inexperienced players and lads that need game time tried.

Brady

Finnegan, Cian Reilly, McLoughlin

T Madden, Conor Brady, Cian Madden

James Smith, David Brady

Oisin Brady, Jack McKenna, Martin Reilly

Conor Smith, McKiernan, Lynch

Some like Conor Brady & Oisin Brady may not be fit but you’d hope they might be.

David Brady has had a few opportunities and hasn't really taken his chance. A bit slow in possession and kick passing has been poor. Maybe worth another go on Sunday ,but Fermanagh are good at midfield with Brandon Horan and Ryan Jones.

Did Enda Maguire get injured or why has he hardly featured in the League? He was decent in the McKenna Cup

That was just a quick mock up of the type of team I’d like to see. Not a cat in hells chance do I think he’ll name a team like that.

That’s a good point re Maguire. Had forgotten about him. He was never mentioned as being injured.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

I wouldn't like to see that many changes the team was settled prior to the Antrim game and the few changes in defense seemed to leave us well off the pace. It's probably time that Conor Madden got a start as well he has only got limited time so far and in my view is doing well.

Gerry Smith came off late last Saturday. Given that the game was very much in the mix, he took his time coming off so I assume took a knock. Definitely no harm to think about resting him and the Holla.

McKenna definitely deserves another run out. With a bit more composure he would have had some first half, even with playing in an unfamiliar role.

I think at club level Brady clearly shows he has "it" but it's a big step up from dominating intermediate midfields to intercounty level. I think he's done okay, he's not blown anyone away. He's had a half against Tipp, Longford, Offaly and Down and barring the latter he performed in patches. I thought he looked as nervous as hell in the Tipp match (understandably) but is starting to look for the ball more. He was impressive against Antrim when he came on, and although James Smith for me is a starting midfielder come the Armagh game, Brady was more effective than James on Saturday.

To my knowledge, Maguire hasn't been on a matchday panel since the Westmeath game when he came on and did okay. Since then Brady, Donohoe, Smith and McKenna have all partnered Clarke in the middle.

Is Conor Madden more effective coming off the bench? His most impressive performances seem to be when he comes on with a point to prove (Down in 2020, and in the final he was a brilliant blood sub). He's been very impressive off the bench this year- even when he didn't score against Down he set up two goal chances.

It looks like trouble is brewing with the Cavan Ladies and the Ladies Board. Anyone listen to the We Are Cavan podcast on it yet?

• Advertisement

They seem to be living in the stone ages.

Wait for it now and you will have people slating the mens "County Board" online as if it has anything to do with them. If they have the same kit sponsors as the mens teams you would wonder why they are not getting the kit or are they using the money for something else.

Money is a big problem for the LGFA in general. i don't know what they get in relation to grant money but they don't get enough people through the gates to generate there own money and when they do eventually come under the umbrella of the GAA they will be a drain on resources as they will want exactly the same as the mens teams but will put very little into the pot.

Their requests seem very reasonable. 30 euro for those travelling from Dublin, that might just about cover the cost of a return journey. And some county gear. They said they requested clearance to hold a fundraiser to cover the cost of these things and were refused. You would hope it can be resolved before they decide to not field in protest.

It was a fascinating interview, with players feeling that they had exhausted all options and now had to air their grievances. Zero sense of ego or entitlement but players genuinely concerned about the direction of Ladies football at a county level. The fact that the players aren't asking for parity with men at county level shows how practical they are and the fact that they approach Cavan LGFA board with suggestions to raise money again speaks volumes about players who just want to represent their county to the best level.

The issue with the kit just makes Cavan look like a shambles in comparison with other counties- and add in the fact that 2023 was supposed to bring some synchonicity across all codes in terms of jersies and that it didn't happen just says there are basic governance issues not being addressed.

The refusal to allow them to run the Easter Camp is baffling. Even if the players were making a profit out of it that wasn't going to expenses, how could our county players coaching underage players be a bad thing??

They handled themselves well in the interview. I thought their requests seemed very basic and they were clearly at the end of their patience. You would hope a resolution to these issues can be found and that it doesn't turn into a back and forth over details of their complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Who is the chairperson of the ladies county board?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Fair play to the ladies for speaking up, Its sad that it had to come to the 3 girls having to go to a podcast to highlight there issues when the county board just waved them on and kicked the bucket down the road.

Some of the stuff that goes on in ladies football is comical. The Ulster Club game with Denn/Castlerahan ladies. The Derry team travelled 2 hours on a Wednesday night in Novemeber, and apparently weren't aware that the game was switched to the 3G.

There would be small clubs in Cavan looking after there players better than them. The refusal to allow them to do the fundraising that would have covered the expenses for the players travelling from Dublin is hard to understand.

• Advertisement

The Leinster U20 championship started tonight. It's played on a Round robin basis whiles the other 3 provinces are knockout. Westmeath beat Kildare. Meath beat Longford.

Why can't the same rules apply in each Province

Advertisement