Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭rrs

Be a long trek if it is true . Kilcoo is 2 hours from the Cavan town area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

A bit late to give my thoughts here. Rushed from Breffini to to Spanish Costa on Saturday.

Absolutely disgraceful by Cavan no other word for it. Reminded me so much of Ramor in last year's championship. Far too focused on stats I'd imagine. The amount of times we won ball inside our own 45, passed it backwards, sidewards and basically let the Armagh players get back behind the ball until we where forced to shoot from outside the scoring zone. What was it ? 14 wides.

If I was Paddy Lunch or any of our inside forwards I'd be looking at the States for the summer as there no need for any forwards on this team. The amount of runs the inside forward line made into space but the player on the ball decided to kick it backwards was disgraceful.

I wouldn't mind but times during the league when we went direct we actually looked threatening.

I know the game has changed and it's not just Cavan guilty of this shite but I was more entertained at the curtin raiser last Saturday night.

I have followed this team for the last 30 or so years through good times and bad times, from division one to four and you could always be guaranteed that they would come out and give it a good crack and try to play football. Last Saturday night one team came to play football and got a deserved win against a very poor side.

Unfortunately until the GAA step in and try to make the game more exciting they won't be getting any more of money. Well apart from club games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

hoganstand.com/Cavan/Article/Index/327565

Tailteann Cup teams and seedings confirmed.

We are 15/8 to win the Cup with the next team being Meath at 5/1 so we’re strong favourites.

We will start in 2 weeks with a home game against one of Tipp, Longford, Laois or Wexford.

Then a week later an away game against one of the 4th seeds: Leitrim, Carlow, Waterford, London.

Finally at a neutral venue, we will play one of the 2nd seeds: Down, Offaly, Antrim, Wicklow.

Draw tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,002 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Draw starting 1 pm according to that article.

The GAA have confirmed the seedings for the Group Stage draws in the Sam Maguire and Tailteann Cups, which will take place at 1pm on Tuesday next, May 2nd and will be broadcast live on GAA.ie (GAANOW) and available on the @OfficialGAA and @GAAGO social media channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I hope we get Wicklow. Would love to avenge 2021.

apart from that, hard to get excited about who we might end up getting. We could do without an away to London.

• Advertisement

I think Westmeath have better players then Meath, competition looks weaker then last year. Sligo would have been decent but up in All Ireland series

Westmeath gained good momentum through the competition last year and a county like Meath could do that.

They’re on a low ebb now but a few positive results could turn that around.

The same goes for the likes of Down.

Offaly, Laois and London.

So Laois at home, London away and Offaly in a neutral venue which I'm assuming will be Westmeath?

Westmeath were expected to well last year. They had a strong spine to the team. Ronan Wallace, Ray Connellan, Ronan O Toole, Heslin, Luke Loughlin.

Meath have a poor defence and Menton is no longer involved and a loss in midfield. Very few standout players on the Meath team. Shane Walsh is good but can't stay fit. They'll get a few wins with Tipperary and Waterford in the group but don't see them winning it.

Down will be more of a threat. Caolan Mooney expected to be back from a cruciate. Offaly will be decent.

Navan would be handier for us but I’d imagine will be Mullingar alright.

We probably could have done without the expense of the London trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

It's not a bad draw.. Should be winning the 1st 2 games and getting a bit of momentum going again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭celt262

So do I but I wouldn't be overly confident we don't do favourites well

Hard to know where we are in the pecking order. It's not impossible that we could lose to any of them giving what has happened in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I said the same during the league. They were miles ahead on the scoreboard but still refused to kick the ball into the forwards. They kicked it sideways or backwards and refused to kick the ball in either low or high or into space for the forwards to collect. Awful to watch and I said it would come back to haunt them and it did. Slow play and terrible to watch.

Unfortunately this has been a problem for most of the last decade. There are players there now and you wonder is it programmed into them.

Even in Division 4 last year, we gave teams too much respect and we lost the Tailteann Cup final by being too conservative in my opinion.

It’s time the manager stopped putting so much focus on stopping the opposition and let the talented players we have show what they have.

WAC reckon David Brady suffered a fracture and his county season may be over and that’s unfortunate. He’s the type of player you would have liked to see getting playing time over the Tailteann.

Just hearing the u20 AI final is fixed for breffni next weekend. It'll be great if its a double header with the cavan game

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Both on the Saturday

Sligo v kildare 2 45

Cavan v Laois 4 45

Won’t be good for traffic if the U20 draws a big crowd.

• Advertisement

1.30 & 4.00

€20 admission and €5 for kids for the pleasure...

All other TC game are €15 and €5 for kids.

If i remember correctly they were €10 and kids free last year for the early games so its a 100% increase for a family of 2 + 2 which is ridiculous in these times.

You are correct. It was a great initiative last year because I remember people filling the car for the Down game.

I heard a rumour today the Offaly game will be in either Navan or Longford - anyone hear that? I was expecting Mullingar.

Not even the team news today mustered a bit of interest here. Spoke to a couple of people at a game this evening and they aren’t even bothering to go.

I think the Armagh game finished a lot off people for the year. The good weather might tease a few out tomorrow but I'd say it will be small crowd.

I’m still sulking but I like that team, assuming Gearoid moves off the 40. I’m not enthusiastic about it but it’s a Cavan game and with the minor double header let’s hope for two positive results

I was flat out today otherwise I might have stuck something up.

if all those lads are fit and want to bounce back, we should win. Should aim to give time to the younger players who did make an impact in the league.

need big performances from Brady and Smith in the middle of the park.

Interesting to see both Oisin Kiernans in the panel. Hoffman from Arva too.

Mickey Graham has to sub one for the other, just for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Great to see the management used the time to work on a defensive system, still allowing forwards oceans of space and making one of the worst teams in the country look capable.

Absolutely pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Looking at it on GAAGo and it's very very poor. Defenders letting lads run around them without laying a finger on them. Powder puff defenders.

Advertisement