Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

This year was about getting the defence in order. Next year we need to branch out with the attacking plan.

This is spot on. For years we have struggled in defence - its a mark off how well Terry has done that this is now our strength. Rory Dunne needs to be wrapped in cotton wool though as he has been hit by a lot of injuries in his career. With McKiernan, Givney, O'Reilly and Corr we have good options in midfield - we do need to sort our attack now though - Keating has a lot to learn as fantastic as a talent as he is - I still think Dunne can be nullified by good teams. Tierney, Paul O'Reilly, Turloc Mooney and Conroy are good prospects. Barry Reilly though still seems to be as far away as ever from breaking through.

Two questions I will throw out there

1. Is there merit in swopping Givney and Keating - put Keating at midfield - would be good bombing forward and Givney is well able to score - you could then use Givney as a target man?

2. If you were in Hyland's position and Johnston does go back to the Gaels do you invite him in for the league?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Tom Joad wrote: »
    This is spot on. For years we have struggled in defence - its a mark off how well Terry has done that this is now our strength. Rory Dunne needs to be wrapped in cotton wool though as he has been hit by a lot of injuries in his career. With McKiernan, Givney, O'Reilly and Corr we have good options in midfield - we do need to sort our attack now though - Keating has a lot to learn as fantastic as a talent as he is - I still think Dunne can be nullified by good teams. Tierney, Paul O'Reilly, Turloc Mooney and Conroy are good prospects. Barry Reilly though still seems to be as far away as ever from breaking through.

1. Is there merit in swopping Givney and Keating - put Keating at midfield - would be good bombing forward and Givney is well able to score - you could then use Givney as a target man?

2. If you were in Hyland's position and Johnston does go back to the Gaels do you invite him in for the league?

Keating is a fantastic ball winner. Better than Givney, it's his decision making and composure that lets him down. On Sunday he was winning the ball and then making a mess of a 5 yard fist pass. I wouldn't have Givney in the full forward line, his shooting is no better than Keating's. Have him midfield or half forward. Sadly, we can't be sure how well Gearoid will recover. Givney needs coaching and experience but the raw talent is there to be a very good midfielder.

I think Hyland is much too smart to bring Johnston back in. Firstly, it brings along with it the whole media attention. Imagine you bring Johnston back in and lose the first game of the league, could well happen either way but the media will jump on it, the supporters will point the finger at the return of Johnston for any failures.
    Secondly, the players themselves. You only have to look back at Feargal Flanagan going at Johnston in the Kildare game last year and Niall McDermott's reaction when he scored the free kick. His introduction would add in a variable to a panel that is currently united and happy for the first time in years.
    Finally to Johnston himself, talented yes and entering what should be his peak. But still question marks remain about his consistency and attitude on the field.
    For me, the risks in bringing him back far outweigh the potential return. If nothing else, refusal to bring him back would lay down a marker. This is a new proud Cavan era, if you want to play for this team nothing less than 100% commitment and desire will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

I don't know if you could play Keating and McKiernan together at midfield,Both lads are too attack minded. The more i see of Michael Argue,the more i like. There are other options aswell, Paddy King with Killeshandra should probably get looked at,He was very good with the under 21's last year. Packie Leddy is another one whom i'd like to see brought in, Big, Physical and mobile. The size difference between ourselves and Kerry was very noticeable.
    As for your second question, I know he is probably quite friendly with lads like Mackey,McKeever,Ronan Flanagan and co whom he has played with aswell as his Gaels teammates,but i would question whether some of the other lads whom are now part of the backbone of the team would want him there.
    Was it Niall McDermott and Fergal Flanagan that had a bit of an altercation with him in last years qualifier defeat???
    The last thing we want is to disrupt the good work that has been done by bringing a potentially divisive figure into the fray.
    It will be interesting to see what reception he gets from other teams in the senior championship.

Fair points re Keating/Givney - When McKiernan was fit in the league Givney was generally not playing beside him so same would probably true of Keating.

Re Johnston - I have a feeling the groundwork is being done to facilitate his return - I've heard that the players have been canvassed on a potential return - would love to be a fly on the wall for that one!!!

I know a lot of strong feelings still exist about Johnston and the way he left but can a county like Cavan afford to exclude a player off his quality?? or could it destabilise the whole camp if his attitude is not right??

Fair points re Keating/Givney - When McKiernan was fit in the league Givney was generally not playing beside him so same would probably true of Keating.

Re Johnston - I have a feeling the groundwork is being done to facilitate his return - I've heard that the players have been canvassed on a potential return - would love to be a fly on the wall for that one!!!

I know a lot of strong feelings still exist about Johnston and the way he left but can a county like Cavan afford to exclude a player off his quality?? or could it destabilise the whole camp if his attitude is not right??

How true do you think the canvas story is? I find it particularly hard to believe, especially that they'd bring that up in the middle of a good Championship run. The Gaels lads perhaps but I'd be shocked if the county did that.

Imagine if he was brought back in now and it upset the balance of the panel. How would the likes of Kevin Tierney busting himself for Cavan for the past few years see Johnston invited back in. I don't care how hard he works or how strictly the treat him, the damage is done at this stage. I would be horrified to see him in a Cavan jersey again. Best of luck to him if he wasn't to go back to the Gaels I wouldn't begrudge him an Ulster Club title but if Hyland and Co. bring him back in they are putting their positions and reputations firmly on the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Turloc Mooney left the panel a number of weeks ago. He was playing full back for the juniors and wasn't happy so he walked.

To answer your questions:

1. We now have a huge amount of options at midfield with Argue coming through. It's not clear how long Gearoid will take to get back flying fit but I'm told he's training like a Trojan. I wouldn't mind seeing him on the 40 and Givney left in midfield. My hope for Keating is that playing in the Dublin club championship will help him mature as a player.

2. Absolutely not. I can't see it happening. I don't believe the canvas rumour one bit. He's not needed. Yesterday Jack Brady and McDermott were on the bench. I'd see either as apt alternatives to Seanie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

I'd say it depends on how willing Seanie would be to go all out and mend bridges. He'd be as entitled as any player in Cavan to attend the county trials whenever they're on and doubtless he'd be good enough to at least make the panel. It'd be up to Hyland then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Kildare radio confirmed today that he has made himself unavailable to play club championship in Kildare next weekend presumably so he won't be ineligible to play for Cavan Gaels. My opinion for what it's worth is that he would still have something to offer as an inter county player but that the inevitable off the field media circus that his return would generate would negate any positive impact he might have on the field.

I'm struck by the age profile of Sunday's Cavan team as outlined above. If they can stay together and the next few u21 teams can produce a few more quality players then Cavan will be a force to be reckoned with. They are probably still two or three years away from an Ulster title but it's certainly an achievable goal. That group of players has come a long way in twelve months from the team that I saw against Kildare last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭celt262

I'm struck by the age profile of Sunday's Cavan team as outlined above. If they can stay together and the next few u21 teams can produce a few more quality players then Cavan will be a force to be reckoned with. They are probably still two or three years away from an Ulster title but it's certainly an achievable goal. That group of players has come a long way in twelve months from the team that I saw against Kildare last summer.

I think that i read here or elsewhere that the main work was done on the defense in the past year so hopefully it will mean that Hyland will line up slightly more attack minded next year.. I think that if we can get out of Division 3 and get Big G back to the form he showed in league this year along with a few reliable inside forwards and 1 or 2 half backs who can kick a few scores we wont be far away from a Ulster in two years time.

• Advertisement

Kildare radio confirmed today that he has made himself unavailable to play club championship in Kildare next weekend presumably so he won't be ineligible to play for Cavan Gaels. My opinion for what it's worth is that he would still have something to offer as an inter county player but that the inevitable off the field media circus that his return would generate would negate any positive impact he might have on the field.

The Gaels are playing the preliminary round of the senior championship this weekend so surely any transfer would have gone through by now for him to be eligible. In saying that, the last year he played for them was in 2011 and he wasn't started until the latter rounds of the championship. Although I've been told that's because he was concentrating on his golf at the time! I just don't think there's a need for his return. Already there's a media circus and, to be honest, I think the media are driving this. For example, last weekend a number of papers carried a headline that Terry had said he would play Johnston if he was back in Cavan and available for selection. That was not correct. Terry actually made comments about players in general in the county, not specifically about Johnston. Cavan have a great panel now and the last thing we need is something like this derailing it.

A more in depth look at the lads and their ages (a few may be wrong by a year or so) that I posted on another thread:

O'Mara - 23
    Corr - 27
    Dunne - 24
    Clarke - 20
    McLoughlin - 20
    Clarke - 27
    Flanagan - 25
    O'Reilly - 24
    Givney - 24
    Mackey - 25
    McVeety - 19
    Flanagan - 21
    Reilly - 26
    Dunne - 24
    Keating - 24

Subs:

McDermott - 23
    Argue - 19
    Tierney - 21
    McEnroe - 24
    Brady - 21

Subs that didn't play:

Gilsenan - 20
    Minagh - 23
    Murray - 23
    McKeever - 29
    McCutcheon - unsure
    Brady - 23

Gilsenen, Clarke, McVeety and Argue are all U21 next year. Next year's U21s are the only team that actually won their grade at minor and they have some cracking players besides those four mentioned like Conor Moynagh and Gerard Smith. I got a bit of criticism over on the Meath thread for saying that we have a strong bench but I don't think there's any arguing with it. I think McDermott should have started but a couple of the papers, including the Independent, have pointed out what a difference our subs made. Look at Michael Argue, he came off the bench against Derry and scored two points and setup a goal. Then he came on against Kerry in an All Ireland quarter final and won some great ball against Moran and Buckley. At 6 foot 6 he's a colossus. Players like McVeety and Martin Reilly also played themselves into starting on a winning team over the course of the championship which isn't an easy thing to do. There are also lads like Chris Conroy, who has played for the juniors the last two years and was man of the match for the U21s in the Ulster final this year, that are part of the wider panel but not making the 26 yet.

My one worry is injuries. Rory Dunne, our 2010 U21 captain, is only just back from a series of injuries and our 2011 captain, Gearoid McKiernan, has suffered his second cruciate ligament injury at only the age of 23. Alan O'Meara has spoke candidly about how this group of players in 2008 I think it was, lost to Tyrone in a minor Ulster match by a point. They threw that game away and vowed to stick together through to U21 level. Three years later they made the All-Ireland U21 final. I've no doubt that already this panel have had that chat about next year and any interview I've seen with any of them was very focused about how we had won nothing yet.

There's no doubting a few will slip off the panel or may not make the grade but I think there's a big enough pool of talent there for Cavan to be successful. Talk about us challenging for Ulster in 2 or 3 years - We ran the Ulster champions to the last minute this year and could have won a game we lost by a point! We're already challenging for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Interesting to see Cian Mackey getting ready to tie the yellow ribbon round the 'ol oak tree lads..

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/i-would-welcome-class-act-johnston-back-into-cavan-fold-insists-mackey-29479299.html

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Interesting to see Cian Mackey getting ready to tie the yellow ribbon round the 'ol oak tree lads..

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/i-would-welcome-class-act-johnston-back-into-cavan-fold-insists-mackey-29479299.html

Worth remembering here is that Mackey wasn't a member of the panel when Johnston played against them last year. He was one of the players dropped with Johnston in November 2011.

So, not only is he personal friends with Johnston as he states, he may also be somewhat sympathetic to the situation Johnston found himself in when told he wasn't required.

Lemlin wrote: »
    .........So, not only is he personal friends with Johnston as he states, he may also be somewhat sympathetic to the situation Johnston found himself in when told he wasn't required.

That's true .. furthermore he burst his bangers to get back into the Cavan set up ... I think he was one match short of an All Star myself

He might not want to play for Cavan again anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

which code would he hope to play ? i know the hurling is getting stronger in cavan so he will have to improve to make that panel :P

• Advertisement

DoctaDee wrote: »
    That's true .. furthermore he burst his bangers to get back into the Cavan set up ... I think he was one match short of an All Star myself

He was all set to go to Australia and was approached by Terry. It was a masterstroke when you look back at the season he has had.

I'm not sure lads - I have a sense (and that's all it is) that the management team and county board are checking the waters to see what kind of reaction a Johnston return would get. It is inevitable that he will appear in the county championship for the Gaels this year and that might tell a lot as to the chance of him getting the nod for the league.

I'm not sure lads - I have a sense (and that's all it is) that the management team and county board are checking the waters to see what kind of reaction a Johnston return would get. It is inevitable that he will appear in the county championship for the Gaels this year and that might tell a lot as to the chance of him getting the nod for the league.

I think you are totally wrong, they got rid for a reason and what he has done since and what Cavan have achieved has shown they were right.

The latest I'm hearing is that he plans to transfer back to the Gaels but remain a Kildare player. I honestly think that would be the best move for everyone.

It'll end the current talk about whether Terry should pick him or not and allow Cavan to continue with their momentum.

I presume there's nothing to stop him playing in Cavan but representing Kildare? Players like McGeeney himself did it for years in Dublin with Na Fianna.

The latest I'm hearing is that he plans to transfer back to the Gaels but remain a Kildare player. I honestly think that would be the best move for everyone.

It'll end the current talk about whether Terry should pick him or not and allow Cavan to continue with their momentum.

I presume there's nothing to stop him playing in Cavan but representing Kildare? Players like McGeeney himself did it for years in Dublin with Na Fianna.

Don't know if that is within the rules, it would be if Kildare was his native county. Fair play for him for wanting to warm the bench for Kildare for another year it must really make the journeys up and down worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

<snip>
    possibly not within the rules:
    http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/official_guides/official-guide-2013-part1.pdf (page 75)

to paraphrase, you can play for the county of your "own club" which is your current club OR the county of your first club.

So Seanie, a native of Cavan, could be living in Kildare and play for a Kildare club and play for Cavan.
    If Seanie, a native of Cavan moved back to Cavan town and plays for the gaels then his current and first club is the Gaels so can ONLY play for Cavan.
    Should he remain "living" (ahem) in Kildare and transfer back to the Gaels, which is allowed, then his current AND first club still is the Gaels meaning he is still only eligible for Cavan as he has no club link to Kildare.

Theres small loopholes with regards to being in both a hurling and football club if your football club has no hurling unit (so you mght suggest he transfer to the gaels for football but remain in Kildare for Hurling) but from the rules "An Inter-County Transfer involves transfer for all codes and activities at Club level" so Seanie the Hurler also transfers to the Gaels and will need to find another outlet for those hurling talents either with the Gaels or locally to that club in Cavan town.

I can't honestly see too many Kildare people being happy with Seanie playing for the Gaels and then playing county for Kildare - even if it was within the rules..

No surprises last night as the Gaels beat Lacken 3-6 to 7 points. Chesty Reilly, Martin Dunne and Barry Fortune with the goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Worth remembering here is that Mackey wasn't a member of the panel when Johnston played against them last year. He was one of the players dropped with Johnston in November 2011.

So, not only is he personal friends with Johnston as he states, he may also be somewhat sympathetic to the situation Johnston found himself in when told he wasn't required.

He was honest in the interview but press only picked up bits of it. Said he was mates with Jelly and played with him coming up through the grades etc, but also said it was was up to Terry whether to pick him or, and he would welcome him back if selected.

Something else....are any of our players worthy of consideration for Compromise Rules panel?

I see Alan O'Mara is following Keating down to the big smoke (well he's already here :D), and will play with OP/ER, he'll have Michael Brides to keep him company

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

H
    Something else....are any of our players worthy of consideration for Compromise Rules panel?

Given the game is in Breffni you would imagine there would be a be some involvement.
    Givney would be an obvious inclusion, maybe Keating too. I think Killian Clarke would be well fit for it also. After that you could look to Mackey who dominated the u-17 international rules when he played

He was honest in the interview but press only picked up bits of it. Said he was mates with Jelly and played with him coming up through the grades etc, but also said it was was up to Terry whether to pick him or, and he would welcome him back if selected.

Keating and Givney will definitely get the call I reckon. Alan Clarke may also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Lads very quickly, who is the current goalkeeper for Cavan?

Alan O'Meara from Baileboro.

Alan O'Meara from Baileboro.

I'd see it as Gilsenen. O'Meara only got his game due to Gilsenen's injury.

When both were fit, Gilsenen played.

• Advertisement

I'd see it as Gilsenen. O'Meara only got his game due to Gilsenen's injury.

When both were fit, Gilsenen played.

It's not certain either way.. Would Gilsenan have got his chance for the Seniors if O'Meara hadn't broken his hand? Hard to say who Terry see's as his number 1 but as it is, Alan was in goals for the last two game so he'd our Keeper.

It's not certain either way.. Would Gilsenan have got his chance for the Seniors if O'Meara hadn't broken his hand? Hard to say who Terry see's as his number 1 but as it is, Alan was in goals for the last two game so he'd our Keeper.

Only O'Mara got Injured Gilsenan would never have been on the panel in first place. Of course alot has changed since.

When both were fit and available though, Gilsenen was preferred.

When was that?

When was that?

From the Armagh game through to the Fermanagh game where Gilsenen got injured.

O'Meara was on the bench and Gilsenen started each championship game until Gilsenen's injury.

On a different note, anyone attended any championship games to date? I' hearing that Jack Brady was very impressive for Ramor starting at 15 in the corner last weekend.

I was impressed with the ball he won when he came on against Kerry. I'm starting to think the people who say he needs to start closer into the goal in the full forward line could be correct.

O'Meara was on the bench and Gilsenen started each championship game until Gilsenen's injury.

On a different note, anyone attended any championship games to date? I' hearing that Jack Brady was very impressive for Ramor starting at 15 in the corner last weekend.

I was impressed with the ball he won when he came on against Kerry. I'm starting to think the people who say he needs to start closer into the goal in the full forward line could be correct.

Controversial I know, but I would rather either Brady or McDermott in the FF line ahead of Dunne. I just think thyey work harder for the dirty ball and are a better outlet. Dunne was annonymous for the most part against Kerry Monaghan and Derry. IMO of course

Was Gilsenan fit for the Kerry game?

Was Gilsenan fit for the Kerry game?

Nope. He was sitting with the team but James Farrelly was sub keeper.

Gilsenen was on crutches at Derry game and Kerry game was only two weeks later.

O'Mara wasn't even on the panel for the Armagh game.

As far as i would see it O'Mara had the jersey and was the number 1 keeper. He got Injured and then James Reilly got the Jersey and Gilsenan was brought in as Cover. Gilsenan did not even want to be part of the Senior set up this year and had to be begged to come in (he told me this himself). Management then decided that Gilsenan was the better option and he got the jersey for the championship, then he got injured and O'Mara got it back.

I would think that both of them will get some game time in the league next year.

On another note try and get the spelling of the guys names right !!

• Advertisement

miaow

celt262 wrote: »

As far as i would see it O'Mara had the jersey and was the number 1 keeper. He got Injured and then James Reilly got the Jersey and Gilsenan was brought in as Cover. Gilsenan did not even want to be part of the Senior set up this year and had to be begged to come in (he told me this himself). Management then decided that Gilsenan was the better option and he got the jersey for the championship, then he got injured and O'Mara got it back.

I would think that both of them will get some game time in the league next year.

When you are correcting someone else on their spelling try to ensure you are above reproach ;) - injured doesn't need a capital I yet I does when referring to yourself. Good lad :D

When you are correcting someone else on their spelling try to ensure you are above reproach ;) - injured doesn't need a capital I yet I does when referring to yourself. Good lad :D

Nothing wrong With the spelling Though :D

I just though it was funny that we have two goal keepers and both the Names are been spelled Wrong.

celt262 wrote: »

So the crux of your post is you're agreeing with me that Gilsenan is number 1?

Thank you.

O'Meara wasn't fit for the Armagh game Lemlin. Seeing as Gilsenan only started playing in Goals after O'Meara's injury it's hard to call who Terry sees as his number one. The beginning of next, assuming both are fit, year will tell that tale.

O'Meara wasn't fit for the Armagh game Lemlin. Seeing as Gilsenan only started playing in Goals after O'Meara's injury it's hard to call who Terry sees as his number one. The beginning of next, assuming both are fit, year will tell that tale.

Ah but...

I've checked the team sheets from the programmes I have from the year. Celt is indeed right about the Armagh game but O'Mara (is that spelling good enough !?) was fit for the first Fermanagh game, the Monaghan game and the second Fermanagh game.

Gilsenan played as goalkeeper with O'Mara on the bench. Gilsenan then got injured and was on crutches at the Derry game which was when O'Mara took over.

O'Mara also played for the juniors in their two matches between the Armagh and Fermanagh games.

The first junior game was only nine days after the Armagh game. I can't find it online but I thought I read before that O'Mara would miss 4-6 weeks with his hand injury from the Sligo game and it happened on March 10th, ten weeks before the Armagh game.

Gilsenan couldn't have featured in the league after O'Mara's injury because he would have been with the U21s.

• Advertisement

We don't know though Lemlin. If someone asked you if Martin Reilly was a starting player in the Cavan team what would you have said?

We don't know though Lemlin. If someone asked you if Martin Reilly was a starting player in the Cavan team what would you have said?

Before the Kerry game I would have said no but then he got the nod ahead of McDermott who was back fit so I'd say yes now.

The same goes for McVeety. I'd see him as a starter now.

Incidentally, he got his Leaving Results during the week, shows how young our team is!

Eh Dara Mcveety is in college in Marino, he played trench cup with them last year. I think you are just making stuff up now

Before the Kerry game I would have said no but then he got the nod ahead of McDermott who was back fit so I'd say yes now.

The same goes for McVeety. I'd see him as a starter now.

Incidentally, he got his Leaving Results during the week, shows how young our team is!

The way I'd look at it is we have about 11/12 definite starters when fit, about 5 other lads could get their places depending on opposition and form, and then there are lads that will not get a start barring an awful lot of injuries. For me, I wouldn't call Gilsenan one of the definite starters, McVeety either, but each to their own.

McVeety is going into his third year in Marino. You might be thinking of Gerry Smith he would have sat the leaving cert this year.

willabur wrote: »
    Eh Dara Mcveety is in college in Marino, he played trench cup with them last year. I think you are just making stuff up now

Padraig Reilly tweeted good luck to him on getting his Leaving Cert results last week. Given McVeety's age of 19, I didn't cop it was a joke.

Other members of that U21 team, Gerard Smith for example, were getting results this year so it was an easy enough mistake to make.

• Advertisement
Advertisement