Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

The only thing that matters in a Final is winning it, nothing else. Better to play bad and win than play great and lose. The bottom line is that Ballyhaise blew it when they had the game in the bag, some of the chances they missed were shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

We’re in Group 2 of the McKenna Cup with Derry & Down. Group 1 is Tyrone, Armagh & Donegal. Group 3 is Monaghan, Fermanagh & Antrim.

They tried to keep teams from the same League Divisions apart so it was somewhat seeded based on league position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭rrs

Mickey Harte always took the McKenna Cup serious, so will be the same with Derry https://t.co/qyZBVe12yG

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

The County Board are going to decide what they will do with the one million.

Thought it is to go to clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

If they don't give it to the clubs I'd say that will be the last JP money they will ever get.

• Advertisement

Callaghan and Cahill must be popping the champagne.

Was this said at the County Convention anyone here pull up a chair at it to confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

I would have expected it will go to Polo Grounds development which will benefit every club. In fairness, the one pitch completed so far is excellent and getting great use.

Possibly and i wouldn't be totally against that but if it stipulates it has to be distributed to the clubs in the terms and conditions they may not get away with that.

• Advertisement

Leitrim Longford and Fermanagh have a small number of clubs so each club in line of getting 30k.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

As per his last donation in 2018 I believe he has explicitly told county boards it must be shared amongst clubs.

Irish times have a calculation on how much each club will get but I'm not sure it's correct as Fermanagh for example don't seem to be calculated correctly. I think it was around 15k per club in Cavan.

County board had their fundraising for the Polo Grounds, selling tickets and fundraising in New York.

McManus is donating for the clubs as was said in the statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

They’ll use it to tarmac over the old pitch in Crosskeys and turn it into a car park so that the Senior county final can be held there every year.

Is there not something like 3 to 4 million needed? It’ll take a while to get to that figure selling tickets!

I’m sure the clubs could turn round and say for it to go to the development if needed - it is essentially the clubs that are paying for it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I read that it is supposed to go to the clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bearonthesquare

Based on the metric of 42 clubs, it would work out at 24k a club.

Post edited by bearonthesquare on

Don’t forget the hurling clubs like East Cavan Gaels.

Wait til word gets out about the 25m plans for a 3 tier stand in breffni. No wonder they dont want to give out the money.

• Advertisement

Well that's the most stupid idea I ever heard I hope there is no truth to that.

Callaghan conveyed the committee's sincere appreciation of Jp's gift and said "and the management committee will sit down and talk about this”. Following an extensive presentation on the Polo Grounds, detailing the collaborative development with Cavan County Council, it was highlighted that Phase 1 alone carries a budget of 25 million and is scheduled to commence in February 2025.

Comprising three distinct phases,the envisioned facility will boast three tiers, spanning across the main stand.

The comprehensive plans include a multitude of amenities, such as a hockey pitch, a full-size 4G pitch, an indoor dome, four GAA pitches, and a complete running track. Additionally, a new entrance and road infrastructure will be established, a collaborative effort with Cavan County Council.

Kingspan covered the costs associated with drafting, planning, and engineering reports for both Phase 1 and Phase 2.

I based my metric on 40 football clubs and then 2 stand alone hurling clubs. The Roscommon letter as shared on social media states that the money HAS to go to clubs.

Madness the stand is plenty big although it could probably do with been fully covered. Waste off money.

The rest of the plans are good.

New stand will have function rooms and restaurant.

And second phase includes swimming pool and other stuff.

Main thing now is getting the money to the clubs asap.

I do believe that’s a long way down the line after the Polo Grounds development.

I do believe a covered stand in Breffni should extend the entire side of the pitch like it does in, say, Armagh.

Yes, I heard it was just to extend the stand like it is in Clones, 3 Tiers I seriously doubt it.

Just looking at that calculation on the Irish Times article, there has to be something wrong as Fermanagh has the smallest number of clubs of any county I am sure yet they seem to be getting half the amount of the next smallest (Sligo). Doesn't add up unless all their ladies clubs are separate entities from the mens clubs.

Money has to be issued by the end of January I was also told.

Anyone know has Gearoid retired from county football? Surely if he had of there would have been some sort of announcement given the service he has given. I have heard he has retired from a few people but not sure how reliable they would be. Anyone else definitely gone from last year?

I heard he had but, like you say, nothing official announced. I also heard Martin Reilly had gone but, then again, it’s just rumours. You would certainly expect something formal for those two great servants.

Perhaps the CB and Galligan are waiting for the official start of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I don't claim to be "in the know" but I did talk to someone who would know more and the "official line" was that he had a much bigger knee operation and that before any decision was made, he would have to see what level of recovery would be involved. Galligan is a smart cookie and I would imagine he won't force anyone's hand at this stage. I know he's 32 but you would love to think (if well managed) there could be a role for Gearoid around the square. If he was used there, he would cause havoc. I think he was put in on the square once this year (second half against Antrim) and not one ball was kicked into him.

In terms of Martin Reilly, hard to see him going back in. He barely played for the last two years. Brilliant footballer, and a real asset in terms of his dedication and willingness to carry out any role but wonder whether he will have the appetite for county if he doesn't get any game time. I know he started the first game of the league but I can't remember him starting another game this year (happy to be corrected as I am too lazy to look for this year's programmes :)

Although I did read that he loves training, so that might not be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Looking forward to League this year as a Meath fan, we have three dearby games, vs Cavan, Louth and Kildare. Usually Louth and Kildare games are the big ones for Meath people but im actually interested in seeing how we get on vs Cavan this year, wouldnt be much rivalry in most areas of Meath especially around me in hurling country right on Westmeath border in Athboy but I read recently that Meath havent beaten Cavan in Breffni Park since something like 1962 or 63. Amazing statistic considering we had teams that won national and Leinster titles in 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s, but could never win down in Breffni Park. Apart from that its a fairly lucky venue for meath teams over the years, much better memories than that graveyard Clones anyway!

Advertisement