Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

It has 28 named you can only officially have 26 hard to know what they are up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

He was hooked before half time in the last two games. He’s not up to Division One standards. He didn’t last long against the Dubs in the 2020 Semi Final either. He’s a limited player who makes the most of what he has and gives his all in fairness to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭etuzyuk

Decent bit of mobility to that defence. Is it the Denn or Castlerahan Kiernan starting?

Firmer ground and nippy forwards never suited the gunner too much, might be best off the bench rather than picking up an early yellow and walking on egg shells.

Hope there's scores in that forward unit. Not terribly obvious mind, but it's all on the day and you hope something will click for some of them.

Best of luck to the lads anyway. PP has the Rossies at -4, about right I'd say, maybe even a tad juicy. They'll be coming in confident, are on middling form and always enjoy a day out against us. I think we'll need a clean sheet and to nick a goal for ourselves to reverse the trend against this crowd.

Forgot to mention the minors, very best of luck to them. Raging I won't make it, terrible time.

I’d expect to see changes. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Lovett or Conor Madden start. The word I got on Dara earlier in the year was he’d only be back for club but then he did miraculous things to get himself fit for the first round of Championship vs Donegal in 2018 after pulling up in the League Final.

Also, Caoimhin Reilly not gone abroad yet. He played for the Bridge last night I’m told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rrs

It's a bit irrelevant about Caoimhin Reilly, he's no longer on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Is the minor game streamed anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

• Advertisement

Level at half time, an awful lot of unforced errors for both teams. It looks like Cavan will have wind in 2nd half judging by the flags. We need to be a bit more clinical in attack, couple of poor passes or wrong options taken scuppering a few decent chances.

Yep, we had the better of them for long spells. Hopefully our sloppy play doesn't come back to bite us and we have enough left in the tank to kick on. Expended a huge amount of energy there to ultimately waste some great chances.

The latest installment of a Cavan team finding a way to lose. Our decision making and basic passing in final third has been shocking.

About as frustrating a performance as it gets. Hard luck to the lads, some good footballers there and some brilliant play up to the final third as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

A good effort from the minors, the usual trait of poor decision making and execution up front lost it for them. 5 points flattered Kildare.

I thought it was a great game. Lots of good players in that Cavan side, hopefully they stick at it and keep developing. Shehu, Clarke, Nwaneri, Madden are talented lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Good effort by both teams

I only caught first half of minor game but they looked to be moving well unfortunately they couldn't keep the momentum going

Seniors I listened to on shannonside which was a hell of a lot more entertaining than the NS pair

It was a shot to nothing today glad we didn't get a hiding but disappointed we didn't get something out of it... It was that sort of a game

Don’t be getting ahead of yourself there. There’s a big difference between minor & senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭piplip87

Another season. All in all we have to be happy enough with Rays first year. Managed to stay in division 2 without playing that well in many of the games.

Beating Monaghan in the championship was a very good result. As for the group stages we came up against three teams way ahead of us and will hopefully learn from that experience now we know what it needs to play at that level.

Managed to blood a couple of new players and that will stand to us next year.

Now all attention will turn to the club championship and hopefully a few lads will put their hands up for the county team next year.

The Gaels look to be back judging from the league so far, Ramor are playing some lovely stuff, Gowna & the Lough and Kingscourt will be there as always.

Here's hoping for an exciting few months ahead.

1 - 20 was a good score ,but 3 goals today and 5 conceded against Dublin, defence all at sea. Though the first Roscommon goal was intended for a point. Darragh Lovett will have had some experience of Senior County football which will be a help going into next year's league. Lynch will likely miss most or all of the league. Maybe Thomas Galligan will be back next year and a fit McVeety.

Minor game was a good contest. Kildare were probaly the better team but Cavan played some good stuff at times. Both teams made a lot of mistakes but that would happen underage. Gowna are producing a lot of forwards. Odhran Madden is a very good free taker.

Is Sean McEvoy back with Ramor?

• Advertisement

Yeah he played for them yesterday against Knockbride, scored 3-1.

Mmmm .

I'm not happy after that. What is it we are trying to do on kick outs. We won 1 ros kick out in whole match. They made life very difficult on ours. You can call 1-20 a positive but whats the poi t if you concede massive scores. Its about winning games at this level. Im really not sure what we are trying to do.

Gary O Rourke is 6ft 5, he cannot let in that goal which was also a key score.

Thought Gough was very poor today too, we didn't get much fair play from where I was sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭piplip87

I think it's just for the summer not heard much more.

Could definitely do with him in blue next year

Galligan himself is a loss to the team in nets and would have been capable of playing a few more years if he wasn't manager. O Rourke hasn't been that convincing this year, but maybe he'll be more confident next year. Liam Brady started off as the number 1 and then picked up a injury.

Kick outs not only on o rourke. We've seen mcguinness come into donegal in yr1 he has put in place a very aggressive press on opposition kick outs. We saw Ros yesterday with a number of pre-planned moves on their own kick outs ensuring 99% retention of possession. In my mind with both teams scoring from a high percentage of their attacks, possession from both kick outs was critical. How is it we look so poor on both these?

Can any of the coaches among us propose a theory on why we lose so many underage games due to poor shooting and decision making in the final third? Despite being good enough otherwise.

Is it something we are failing to do in coaching?

Is it just that real quality displays itself in that area of the pitch most and we are lacking it?

Is it a culture in Cavan that good players get away with missed chances and the necessity to do better isn't there?

Its a difficult question to answer when like me you do not know the players or have never worked with the players. I put a lot of focus on attacking as a coach and my weaker side would be defensive. I believe in going out to try and win games rather than going out to try not to lose. In my experience to start with some kids start off with a natural fast mind and natural spatial awareness, they are one step ahead of others and these players look like they have all the time in the world. Often these may not be the biggest or quickest and maybe due to poor coaching around inclusivity these players never reach their potential as they are discarded or leave as all the attention is going to a young lad who is 6ft at 14 and is ploughing through everyone and winning every match - thats the type of short sighted thing you often find.

For those that need work on decision making and spatial awareness, I would say small sided games and **** loads of them in tight spaces is the key to improving that skill with plenty of interventions and coaching and questioning of decisions as these games take place. In conjunction with that it is critical that players develop both sides to a high level, be able to solo, hop and kick of both feet while under pressure - this doubles your options in tight spaces vrs a one sided player, no matter how good the 1 sided player is. 7's is another great way to get player to play with their heads up, scanning the pitch ahead of you to look for the best pass and ideally let the ball do the work if its on. I look at Shehu in the minor game and while he has obviously huge amounts of ability, he is playing the game with his head down looking at his feet - he could have created a number of goal chances if he was aware of what was around him and in front of him - he needs help with that.

This cannot all be all done in county dev squads. This needs to be pushed down to the clubs. Clubs need to get coaches in place that understand development and not fixated on winning an u12 C league! The county needs to heavily invest in regional coaches that "train the trainer" and make sure club coaches are upskilling themselves.

I dont know where this is breaking down in Cavan at the moment, maybe all of the above is being done and we are losing our best to other sports. I am not close enough to know that. Those are just my thoughts on your question.

Thanks for that myles, interesting perspective on things. Agree on Shehu, his ability to win the ball, close control and speed are as good as you'd see but the other parts of his game need development. He, along with Lovett, remind me of Mackey in that regard. But the difference is Mackey played with his head up all the time and that eventually made him a special player at Senior.

Another takeaway from yesterday was the crowd. Kildare were out in force and the energy and support from the stand was intense. Cavan provided the lads with the usual limp support.

• Advertisement

Mackey in his Minor day's was bit of a head down player ,and his first few years as a Senior player. He was very light, and played a bit as a corner forward. Then the S/C work under Peter Donnelly he was more developed, and was a key player in the half forward line.

Advertisement