Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GERRYMAC65

Lemlin wrote: »
    There's no point changing Hyland and Andrews tbh. I'm now thinking I'd prefer that Hyland was left to the job on his own. I saw Andrews' interview after the game and he didn't appear to have the spirit needed to lift this panel.

There's alot of work to be done. The performance was poor and, as the Celt pointed out this week, we've now been beaten 3 years in a row by Division 4 sides.

I really hope that the minors or juniors can lift the county again.
    Andrews claims the Cavan priority this year was the u21s,and next year it will be promotion to Div 2 ? sounds like pie in the sky to me. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

GERRYMAC65 wrote: »
    Andrews claims the Cavan priority this year was the u21s,and next year it will be promotion to Div 2 ? sounds like pie in the sky to me. :confused:

Sounds like excuses tbh. Although I did say at the start of the year I'd take the U21s winning an Ulster title over the seniors even winning a game.

That said, I expected us to at least be competitive in the qualifiers if up against a Division 4 team.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭treade1

Well done to the minors on making it to the Ulster final. Cavan 2-13 Tyrone 2-10. Let's hope they can follow the example of the U21's. We have to start somewhere. The hard work at underage is finally bearing some fruit.

Am I right in thinking this now sees Cavan go into the qualifers at minor even if they lose?

http://www.hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=150916

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Am I right in thinking this now sees Cavan go into the qualifers at minor even if they lose?

http://www.hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=150916

Yeah, they are into the quarter finals now, if they win Ulster they will play the runners up from Connaught and if they are beaten in Ulster they will play the winners of Connaught.

• Advertisement

Yeah, they are into the quarter finals now, if they win Ulster they will play the runners up from Connaught and if they are beaten in Ulster they will play the winners of Connaught.

Good stuff so. The final is before the senior match so tickets may be hard to come by. I'd still expect a large Cavan crowd though.

Good stuff so. The final is before the senior match so tickets may be hard to come by. I'd still expect a large Cavan crowd though.

I got myself uptodate with the structure after Tipps famous win in the Munster Final yesterday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

good win for the minors good to see some talent coming through
    we must win this ulster final now its been 37 years since we last won it

keep the faith

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

any result from leinster jnr final tonight?

Kildare won comfortably enough AFAIK

• Advertisement

Best of luck to Cavan minors in the Ulster final today against Armagh. Armagh are second favourites for the AI behind Dublin so hopefully being underdogs will suit our lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

fair dues to the cavan minors today... great to see the underage teams doing well and hopefully in a few years down from now the u21s and minors will be taking the senior team back to the top... :)

now to take the all ireland home too :D

Fantastic result for the minors yesterday. Kept Armagh scoreless for more than 30 minutes in the second half.

Another great lift for football supporters in the county. Our senior team may be one of the worst in the country but at least we know now that something is coming through.

And, to think that this year's U21 side is only losing 8 players. 8 players who can be replaced with these minors.

Here's hoping for another trip to Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

great result for big dermot and all involved for such a poor year on the senior front the underage set up is obviously reaping the rewards for their hard work , now we must develop the mentality that we can push on and win national titles

an cabhan abu

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Absolutely delighted for them. Thats a u21 and minor Ulster double this year and a huge breath of fresh air for Cavan football. Hopefully these lads will now have the confidence to stay committed for the coming years and make the breakthrough to the Cavan senior squad.

Also great to see two Shercock lads play such a big role in yesterdays superb second half.

cournioni wrote: »
    Absolutely delighted for them. Thats a u21 and minor Ulster double this year and a huge breath of fresh air for Cavan football. Hopefully these lads will now have the confidence to stay committed for the coming years and make the breakthrough to the Cavan senior squad.

Also great to see two Shercock lads play such a big role in yesterdays superb second half.
    Some footage and interviews of the game...

http://www.jeromequinnmedia.com/watch/Cavan-Minors-Interviews-579

Next game for Cavan minors is against Galway on Saturday July 30th in Longford.

Here's hoping it goes better than the U21 final.

Said I'd ressurect this thread, plenty going on with Cavan football at the minute.

The Gaels marched onto another senior championship at the weekend. Marched being the word because they had little competition. I thought Ballinagh would put it up to them this year but alas it wasn't so.

Hopefully they can give a decent account of themselves in Ulster.

The ladies are off to Croke Park again this weekend. Here's hoping they can bring back a bit more silverware for the county after out minor and U21 wins this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Got an email fowarded to me the other day with a PowerPoint presentation apparently based on the recommendations made to the County Board for restructuring football in the county. I don know how official it is but it says;
    • STATUS TO BE DETERMINED BY LEAGUE PERFORMANCE (FROM 2013);
    • 2012 LEAGUES TO DETERMINE STATUS FOR 2013;
    • 2013 AND THEREAFTER:
    > 10 TEAMS IN SENIOR LEAGUE (18 games) AND CHAMPIONSHIP (with SIX GROUP TEAMS);
    > 10 TEAMS IN INTERMEDIATE LEAGUE (18 games) AND CHAMPIONSHIP;
    > 20 TEAMS IN JUNIOR LEAGUES [2 LEAGUES, 3(A) & 3(B)] AND CHAMPIONSHIP (1);
    • KNOCK-OUT WITH NOVICE GRADE FOR FIRST ROUND LOSERS (i.e. GUARANTEE OF TWO GAMES).
    • SENIOR CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE PLAYED LATE JULY TO MID SEPTEMBER (FIVE WEEKENDS);
    • INTERMEDIATE CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE PLAYED BETWEEN BEGINNING OF MAY AND MID JULY (FIVE WEEK-ENDS);
    • JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE PLAYED OVER FIVE WEEK-ENDS FROM LATE APRIL TO MID JULY, WITH PRELIMINARY ROUND LOSERS GOING INTO A NOVICE CHAMPIONSHIP (SIX WEEKENDS);
    • DIVISIONS 4 & 5 CHAMPIONSHIPS AS BEST SUITS COUNTY BOARD
    Having 18 Div 1 league games is crazy. There are already too many meaningless matchs as there is, prolonging the league will only make this worse. Amalgamating weaker teams is grand but shouldnt happen for senior championship. If anything there should be a senior championship for individual clubs with another competition where Intermediate/Junior teams join up to take on the senior teams - this could be done if the Div 1 teams played each other only once and senior championship was played at the same time as Intermediate and Junior championships.

Got Donegal in the draw last night. For fook's sake! Of all the teams from Ulster we'd have to get. I was praying for Fermanagh! Antrim or even Monaghan we would have taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Got Donegal in the draw last night. For fook's sake! Of all the teams from Ulster we'd have to get. I was praying for Fermanagh! Antrim or even Monaghan we would have taken.

Cavan are a weak team but Donegal play too defensively and negatively.If Cavan can use the ball effectively and run at the Donegal defense,they might cause an upset but expect a very low scoring game.

My head!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Tough luck on the cavan ladies today, westmeath just got over the line. 5pts up with 10 to play but some very silly tackling allowed westmeath back into it, one yellow and a pen given away - entertaining enough game.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Tough luck on the cavan ladies today, westmeath just got over the line. 5pts up with 10 to play but some very silly tackling allowed westmeath back into it, one yellow and a pen given away - entertaining enough game.

You forgot to mention the complete idiot of a ref, who seemed to give Westmeath frees for little or nothing and also should have awarded a free out to Cavan before they conceded the penalty...not sour grapes, just telling the truth...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

muincav wrote: »
    You forgot to mention the complete idiot of a ref, who seemed to give Westmeath frees for little or nothing and also should have awarded a free out to Cavan before they conceded the penalty...not sour grapes, just telling the truth...

It normally seems to the loser who sees the ref as an idiot though - I'm sure Westmeath fans could point out a few frees that they thought they should have had, if they lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Cavan played with 14 players for 20 minutes of the 2nd half. Hard to win All-Ireland finals with that level of indiscipline.

The referee didn't cost Cavan the match, their own players did.

Think it's a case of a Kerry man getting us back for Joe's mishaps in the mens final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

cournioni wrote: »
    Think it's a case of a Kerry man getting us back for Joe's mishaps in the mens final.

In what way?

Cavan were 5 points up with a few minutes left and failed to close out the game. A few stupid fouls cost Cavan the game, not the referee.

Westmeath used their 1 player advantage very well. It was the most significant factor in Cavan throwing away this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Gophur wrote: »
    In what way?

Cavan were 5 points up with a few minutes left and failed to close out the game. A few stupid fouls cost Cavan the game, not the referee.

Westmeath used their 1 player advantage very well. It was the most significant factor in Cavan throwing away this game.

I suggest you actually take a look at the game again and then comment-as I said it was not sour grapes...yes Cavan did lose a 5 point lead but NOT all of their own doing....The ref was bad and as a Cavanman I can also say Joe Mc Quillan makes some terrible decisions too and I can see them just as I did the ref in the Ladies FINAL on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Cavan ladies had no-one to blame but themselves and that's the pity. Donna English stupidly got a yellow card when Cavan were 5 points up and she could have let the opposition player just take the point.

The rest of the players just seemed to lose the heads then and all tactics just fell apart.

Advertisement