Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

It would still be an open draw. The "openness" of the draw is not the issue, it's the format.

The way they have set the draw out this year. Cavan Gaels could be playing Lacken in 3 of their first 4 matches which is just ludicrous.

Whats more ridiculous is Lacken could, in theory, lose 2 Championship matches and still win the competition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

well done to the cavan ladies today brilliant win

lets hope they can put the ghosts of last year to bed this year

another day in croke park for cavan it has been a pretty good year but we need silverware so hopefully this very talented bunch of ladies can provide some

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

The Gaels' defeat to Castlerahan means a Lacken vs Gaels tie in the next round is very much on the cards. Here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

The Gaels' defeat to Lacken means a Lacken vs Gaels tie in the next round is very much on the cards. Here's hoping!

I think you mean the Gaels defeat to Castlerahan. The Gaels were comfortably bet but will be joined by an old friend soon:

http://www.hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=199959

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

Lemlin wrote: »
    I think you mean the Gaels defeat to Castlerahan. The Gaels were comfortably bet but will be joined by an old friend soon:

Of course that report is wrong as St Kevins have no say in the transfer.

Anyway from what I say of CG last night they will need more than him to win championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Yes, my mistake! Heard from a few lads they're confident he'll be back. They'll need him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Senior Championship Draw:

Round 3:
    1: Killygarry v Lacken
    2: Cavan Gaels v Kingscourt
    3: Gowna v Mullahoran
    4: Cuchullains v Lavey

Quarter Finals:
    Crosserlough v 4
    Ramor v Castlerahan
    Ballinagh v 1
    3 v 2

Great draw for the neutral and underdogs as by the quarter finals only one of the last 3 winners will be left standing. Some great games in prospect. Looking forward to Gaels Kingscourt and I have to say I fancy Kingscourt to take the gaels - even with Seanie Johnston!!

Ramor Castlerahan could be another cracker. Have a few quid on Ramor to win the whole thing so will stick with them..

Killian Clarke just won an Ulster All Star award at corner back. Awards still ongoing but Monaghan clearing up at present as expected.

Well done to Clarke. Not bad for a 20 year old who is U21 again next year!

Mackey, Keating and Dunne take Cavan's tally to 4. Keating wins one at centre half forward which is a bit strange!

Lavey beat Cuchulainns last night in the latest round of senior games so they now play Crosserlough who they already played in the quarters.

• Advertisement

Got two games in the Championship in tonight - Killygarry drew with Lacken after extra time - was poor stuff. Killygarry probably the better team but some truly awful shooting let them down. Martin Reilly had a great game. Niall McKiernan kicked some great scores for Lacken who lived off scraps all game.

In the main event Gaels won comfortably in the end - a real comedy of errors gave them a late goal to go 7 points ahead. Kingscourt were staying with them until a silly period in the second half when they lost their discipline completely. Had 1 sent off but it could have been 2 or 3 more. The Gaels were the better team and had the more classy forwards.

Wasn't at the game but heard that Mullahoran comfortably beat Gowna so Gaels and Mullahoran in the quarters..

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Got two games in the Championship in tonight - Killygarry drew with Lacken after extra time - was poor stuff. Killygarry probably the better team but some truly awful shooting let them down. Martin Reilly had a great game. Niall McKiernan kicked some great scores for Lacken who lived off scraps all game.

In the main event Gaels won comfortably in the end - a real comedy of errors gave them a late goal to go 7 points ahead. Kingscourt were staying with them until a silly period in the second half when they lost their discipline completely. Had 1 sent off but it could have been 2 or 3 more. The Gaels were the better team and had the more classy forwards.

Wasn't at the game but heard that Mullahoran comfortably beat Gowna so Gaels and Mullahoran in the quarters..

I heard the Killygarry game was a dreadful spectacle from a few at it. I was at Lavey and Cuchulainns in Ramor on Saturday evening and it wasn't much better.

The standard of club football in the county is very poor. It really makes ya wonder how Terry got us so far this year but then ya hear people saying that the quality of football in a county doesn't always effect the county team.

I heard the Killygarry game was a dreadful spectacle from a few at it. I was at Lavey and Cuchulainns in Ramor on Saturday evening and it wasn't much better.

The standard of club football in the county is very poor. It really makes ya wonder how Terry got us so far this year but then ya hear people saying that the quality of football in a county doesn't always effect the county team.

There's no dressing it up -it was dire - if it was in my back garden I would have pulled the curtains. Shows the need to restructure the senior championship.

Hopefully Gaels Mullahoran game ignites the championship!!

There's no dressing it up -it was dire - if it was in my back garden I would have pulled the curtains. Shows the need to restructure the senior championship.

Hopefully Gaels Mullahoran game ignites the championship!!

Ramor and Castlerahan should be a great game.

Ramor and Castlerahan should be a great game.

Whos in charge of Ramor?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Gary Farelly in charge of Ramor. Ramor native. His second spell. Brought Denn to two county finals and Dunshaughlin to one in Meath. Great manager.

Gary Farelly in charge of Ramor. Ramor native. His second spell. Brought Denn to two county finals and Dunshaughlin to one in Meath. Great manager.

Oh I know him!! Not a huge fan. Seen him once or twice when in charge of underage teams, and tactics generally involve targeting opposition players for rough stuff. One game they were playing Castlerahan and they had a chap man-to-man on Mackey (no problem with that tactic by the way), but he spent the hour pulling dragging verbals and one or 2 sly digs. I think he was also in charge of Denn playing Castlerahan, where there was no football played at all. I just hope Castlerahan are able for the physical stuff, as over the last few tears their lack of physicality, and unwillingness to go down the cynical route really cost them.

Has the potential to be the game of the Championship though if football is played, as in Brady McEnroe Mackey Flanagan there are some excellent footballers on show

Seanie back for the Gaels tonight. Have to fancy the Gaels

Seanie back for the Gaels tonight. Have to fancy the Gaels

Yep, him and Dunne up front with O'Connor is a formidable front line.

Johnston snuck in last weekend for his 'debut' at a league game against Ballinagh.

Am looking forward to tonights game - will be very tasty especially with Seanie back for the Gaels. Was at the Gaels Kingscourt game and still think that Gaels are there for the taking. Tonight mighn't be pretty to watch but it will be exciting.

Ballinagh v Lacken tomorrow is an interesting one - Ballinagh should win but Lacken sometimes click and can score heavily if they get the chances.

• Advertisement

Ballinagh v Lacken tomorrow is an interesting one - Ballinagh should win but Lacken sometimes click and can score heavily if they get the chances.

It'll be an "interesting one" alright. As per one quote I saw recently, will they have a referee for this game or a UN peace keeping convoy!? :pac:

Johnston scored a goal after a few minutes tonight. Gaels lead by 4 at half time.

Apparently he's not getting the best of receptions from the Mullahoran fans. Surprise surprise.

Gaels just got a goal - chesty. lead by a goal with 15 mins to play

Gaels won by 3 points in the end - Chesty was sent off for second yellow. Castlerahan, Crosserlough, Gaels and Ballinagh/Lacken in semis..

Could only see Castlerahan giving the Gaels a game at this stage.

Ballinagh beat Lacken and will play Crosserlough in semi-final.

Gaels will play Castlerahan in the other semi.

If Gaels win it this year they will have done it the hard way - they've had some tough draws this year..

Word has it a lot of the panel are already working hard on gym programmes and the like.

Competition for places is expected to be high next year.

It's a long time since we could look at a Cavan panel and say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

thats good to hear although you would want to make sure they get proper rest also.

Our u21s should be strong next year also, even if they don't win the Provence out they have already proven at minor level that they have the football. Hopefully we can harvest a few more players who have the will, the talent and very importantly can make the necessary physical step up for intercounty senior. One familiar grumble I heard this year was that winning at underage is all well and good but you will struggle to make seniors out of some players as they are too light.

I would think differently, namely the likes of Martin Argue is a veritable beast of young lad. With Him + a fit and hungry Gearoid Back along with Givney providing competition is a tantalising midfield combination

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Think Gearoid is for college in Belfast this year. He was in DIT. Best of luck to him in his recovery and it will be great to have him back.

willabur wrote: »
    thats good to hear although you would want to make sure they get proper rest also.

Our u21s should be strong next year also, even if they don't win the Provence out they have already proven at minor level that they have the football. Hopefully we can harvest a few more players who have the will, the talent and very importantly can make the necessary physical step up for intercounty senior. One familiar grumble I heard this year was that winning at underage is all well and good but you will struggle to make seniors out of some players as they are too light.

I would think differently, namely the likes of Martin Argue is a veritable beast of young lad. With Him + a fit and hungry Gearoid Back along with Givney providing competition is a tantalising midfield combination

I think you mean Michael Argue from Bailieboro. He certainly impressed against Derry and Kerry. Only 19 as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing this year's U21s in action. Hopefully Moynagh can stay fit as he's vital.

Between Argue, Givney, Corr and McKiernan, we've 4 very solid midfielders. In fact, we've alot of competition all over the pitch.

James McEnroe was one of our best players two years ago and he couldn't make the starting line up for the Kerry match this year. That shows the talent there.

The bench is important too. Having players who can come on and influence a game is vital.

• Advertisement

Am expecting a very good under 21 team next year and word is that the Minor's should be very competitive too. Getting Gearoid McKiernan back fit would be a massive boost to the county.

Advertisement