Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

its great to hear that - very important to have men involved who can see the big picture and it looks like thats what we have.

Its important to continue bringing in a couple of players from each u21 team through - keep guys working hard at that level knowing that they will get a chance if they play well enough. Argue is a perfect example of this someone who played u21 but was not involved with the senior set up until a week before the Derry match. Management were clearly keeping an eye on what was happening around the county and were't treating the set up as a closed shop. That could be critical going forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Ballinagh beat Crosserlough tonight in first SC semi-final 2-9 to 1-10. Fantastic to see them make the final - have been the up and coming team for the last while.

Gaels are 9 points up against Castlerahan with less than 10 minutes to play (1-13 to 0-7). Martin Dunne scored the goal.

Final score Cavan Gaels 2-14 Castlerahan 0- 7 to set up Gaels Ballinagh final.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Final score Cavan Gaels 2-14 Castlerahan 0- 7 to set up Gaels Ballinagh final.

I can't see the Gaels losing that.

And congratulations to the ladies today on their All Ireland win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

The Gaels have a serious outfit now that everyone seems to be fit.

Did anyone see the muppet Johnston arguing along the line near the end of the game. He had to be dragged away from the Cavan Gaels secretary.

celt262 wrote: »
    The Gaels have a serious outfit now that everyone seems to be fit.

Did anyone see the muppet Johnston arguing along the line near the end of the game. He had to be dragged away from the Cavan Gaels secretary.

I was at games in Meath yesterday. I've no real interest in the teams left in any of the grades in the Cavan setup. I see Niall Smith came on at least so that's a big plus for Cavan football IMO to see him back.

Why was he arguing with the secretary from his own club?

Lemlin wrote: »

Why was he arguing with the secretary from his own club?

I know there is history there from when he left but not sure what happened last night.

celt262 wrote: »
    I know there is history there from when he left but not sure what happened last night.

Tbh I don't see why the Gaels brought him back. They have serious talent there anyway.

They were pulling county players like Maloney Dernham and Niall Smith off the bench the other evening.

Every one of their starting forwards are county or ex county footballers.

If they don't make a mark in the Ulster championship this year it has to raise serious questions about Cavan football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

you mean Cavan club football?

Always found that the teams the Gaels produced lacked in physicality to dominate an ulster campaign. Provencial championships tend to be played on heavy ground which don't suit light legs and bodies

• Advertisement

willabur wrote: »
    you mean Cavan club football?

Always found that the teams the Gaels produced lacked in physicality to dominate an ulster campaign. Provencial championships tend to be played on heavy ground which don't suit light legs and bodies

Would have thought it was more to do with them not being able to keep their full compliment on the field in any game in Ulster or the general lack of discipline which they show year in year out in Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Delighted to see Ballinagh in the final as my old man and my uncles were all reared there before the family moved back to Kerry!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,686 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Am expecting a very good under 21 team next year and word is that the Minor's should be very competitive too. Getting Gearoid McKiernan back fit would be a massive boost to the county.

Is Mc Kiernan back in training yet? He's a class act.

Is Mc Kiernan back in training yet? He's a class act.

Don't know 100% but I would doubt it - I'd say it will be after Christmas before he'll be back - but that's just based on the initial prognosis.

Don't know 100% but I would doubt it - I'd say it will be after Christmas before he'll be back - but that's just based on the initial prognosis.

I heard that he is back training, but id imagine its just doing a bit of running.

I heard he was "training" a couple of months ago from a member of the panel. What type of "training" that is I don't know.

I do have it on good authority that himself and a few of his U21 graduate colleagues have been doing alot of weight training in one of the gyms beside the town.

As I said previously, the panel are expecting competition for places to be huge next year.

Will be interesting to see who we get tonight in the draw.

As I said in my reply to tayto lover I don't know whether he is back "in training" ( I took "in training" to mean collectively training with his club). I'm sure that he is doing some gym work and work on his own.

I do know that some of the lads work with one of the gym's around Cavan town - a member of the Monaghan panel is a training instructor there.

Had forgotten about the draw tonight - seems mad to be having the draw this early - hope we avoid the preliminary round for a start!!

Mixed reaction to the draw tonight. At least we have avoided the preliminary. Armagh will be better next year but we have a good chance. Winners play Tyrone or Monaghan which will be tough too but there are few easy games in Ulster.

First priority is getting out of Division 3 in the league.

There's no easy draw in Ulster is the problem.

Three All Star nominations for Cavan. Mackey, which was expected, is joined by Dunne and Clarke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

i'm a bit disappointed at the lack of any cavan players in the ireland squad thought we would at least get one or two in . still it promises to be a great occasion in breffni

congrats to kill last weekend on a hard fought win in what i hear was as exciting a finish seen in a long time

best of luck all round this weekend to all 4 clubs in the finals nice to see some new clubs in the deciders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

cavan4sam wrote: »
    i'm a bit disappointed at the lack of any cavan players in the ireland squad thought we would at least get one or two in . still it promises to be a great occasion in breffni

congrats to kill last weekend on a hard fought win in what i hear was as exciting a finish seen in a long time

best of luck all round this weekend to all 4 clubs in the finals nice to see some new clubs in the deciders

Mackey was there or thereabouts until he done his groin against the Gaels and had to pull out. Givney was the only other one training with them.

Martin Dunne (from Butlersbridge according to Lorcan Mulvey) would be too light....he couldnt deal with physical Monaghan/Derry/Kerry defenders so he wont deal with professional Aussies. Keating not good enough, although would have thought Dunne and Clarke should have at least got a few training sessions

Mackey was there or thereabouts until he done his groin against the Gaels and had to pull out. Givney was the only other one training with them.

Martin Dunne (from Butlersbridge according to Lorcan Mulvey) would be too light....he couldnt deal with physical Monaghan/Derry/Kerry defenders so he wont deal with professional Aussies. Keating not good enough, although would have thought Dunne and Clarke should have at least got a few training sessions

Injured ruled Mackey out so Givney was the only one that could go to the training - not sure why he didn't get in and would have been nice to have a Cavan man on it but such is life.

Agree re Dunne - too light for it. Don't agree re Keating - would be perfect kind of game for him but he's still involved in Dublin Championship. Killian Clarke is still involved at club level so wasn't available for the training either.

Intermediate final postponed until 20th October - was due to be played before senior final tomorrow.

Fantastic county final today. One of the best in years in terms of quality play and excitement. Fair play to Ballinagh - not many gave them a prayer and I heard some they were 6/7 points on the handicap with some bookies!! Great display and had leaders all over the field but Podge Reilly gave an exhibition of high fielding and midfield play - should be back in the county team with that form. Nice to see a new team make the breakthrough and hopefully will put up a good display in Ulster..

Fantastic county final today. One of the best in years in terms of quality play and excitement. Fair play to Ballinagh - not many gave them a prayer and I heard some they were 6/7 points on the handicap with some bookies!! Great display and had leaders all over the field but Podge Reilly gave an exhibition of high fielding and midfield play - should be back in the county team with that form. Nice to see a new team make the breakthrough and hopefully will put up a good display in Ulster..

I've always found Podge a bit slow for inter county. He's still a member of the panel anyway.

Congrats to Ballinagh. It's a result that will delight the rest of the county.

I've always found Podge a bit slow for inter county. He's still a member of the panel anyway.

Congrats to Ballinagh. It's a result that will delight the rest of the county.

I know what you mean but he's a great leader and a great fielder - still has a lot to offer the county.

What today shows is that teamwork will always beat a side who play as individuals a lot of the time.

I know what you mean but he's a great leader and a great fielder - still has a lot to offer the county.

What today shows is that teamwork will always beat a side who play as individuals a lot of the time.

I know a few Gaels fans who aren't happy alright. The whole SJ affair is still effecting the club.

A good few not impressed that he breezed back into the starting line up after disappearing last year and missing the League this year.

They're also starting to struggle at underage. Killygarry, for example, are putting a lot of work in and seem to be taking a lot of young players the Gaels would previously have had.

I know a few Gaels fans who aren't happy alright. The whole SJ affair is still effecting the club.

A good few not impressed that he breezed back into the starting line up after disappearing last year and missing the League this year.

They're also starting to struggle at underage. Killygarry, for example, are putting a lot of work in and seem to be taking a lot of young players the Gaels would previously have had.

Went onto the pitch for the presentation as I had my young lad with me - SJ cut a lonely figure standing on the pitch. While they have plenty off great footballers they really looked flat today and there was no leadership on the field or any sign off lads willing to fight for each other. Even for the free at the end none of the gaels lads were making a move to engineer a goal - its like they didn't care that much.

Went onto the pitch for the presentation as I had my young lad with me - SJ cut a lonely figure standing on the pitch. While they have plenty off great footballers they really looked flat today and there was no leadership on the field or any sign off lads willing to fight for each other. Even for the free at the end none of the gaels lads were making a move to engineer a goal - its like they didn't care that much.

It's surprising that Chesty or none of the Reillys gave some leadership?

Wasn't at the game as I was at the Meath junior and intermediate finals as my wife had relations involved in those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

big congrats to ballinagh on their first senior title
    didnt get to the game yesterday but followed it on twitter and it sounded exciting ,

its always nice to see a new name on the cup

nice to see paul galligan and padraic o reilly getting medals they have soldiered for a long time

Advertisement