Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

cavan4sam wrote: »
    big congrats to ballinagh on their first senior title
    didnt get to the game yesterday but followed it on twitter and it sounded exciting ,

its always nice to see a new name on the cup

nice to see paul galligan and padraic o reilly getting medals they have soldiered for a long time

Padraic O'Reilly is only 26 or 27 and has Ulster and Cavan intermediate championship medals already.

He also has numerous U21 county championship medals.

He's hardly been soldiering years without reward!

I was at an intermediate final in Meath yesterday where 40 year old Graham Geraghty was playing. Padraic has a while to go to catch up on him yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RichTea123

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster!!

Sorry if a bit off topic but does anyone know if the International Rules in Breffni will be a sellout?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

RichTea123 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster!!

Sorry if a bit off topic but does anyone know if the International Rules in Breffni will be a sellout?

The stand is sold out but other tickets are still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Lemlin wrote: »
    Padraic O'Reilly is only 26 or 27 and has Ulster and Cavan intermediate championship medals already.

He also has numerous U21 county championship medals.

He's hardly been soldiering years without reward!

I was at an intermediate final in Meath yesterday where 40 year old Graham Geraghty was playing. Padraic has a while to go to catch up on him yet!

I see Gael Colmcille won the Meath Intermediate at the weekend, we played them in a challenge in January i think it was and they give us some hammering. Some outfit for Intermediate.

Hammar wrote: »
    I see Gael Colmcille won the Meath Intermediate at the weekend, we played them in a challenge in January i think it was and they give us some hammering. Some outfit for Intermediate.

What team you with? I wouldn't see Gaeil Colmcille as that strong tbh. They have no county players and other than their number 13, Seamus Mattimoe, I didn't see any potential there.

He could do with bulking up a bit but is only 19. Tends to drop out round midfield and wins a lot of ball. Scored 7 points in the final and played well enough to get himself in Geraghty's sights!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

What team you with? I wouldn't see Gaeil Colmcille as that strong tbh. They have no county players and other than their number 13, Seamus Mattimoe, I didn't see any potential there.

He could do with bulking up a bit but is only 19. Tends to drop out round midfield and wins a lot of ball. Scored 7 points in the final and played well enough to get himself in Geraghty's sights!

Ballyhaise, We played a number of Meath teams, ranging through all the grades,Junior, Intermediate and a couple of Senior in challenge matches this year as we had a Meath man as manager (Kit Henry) and they were by far the most impressive outfit we came across.

Hammar wrote: »
    Ballyhaise, We played a number of Meath teams, ranging through all the grades,Junior, Intermediate and a couple of Senior in challenge matches this year as we had a Meath man as manager (Kit Henry) and they were by far the most impressive outfit we came across.

As a Ballyhaise man here's a question for ya, what was the story with Cullivan's transfer to Lavey?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Tough draw again in the NFL, 4 away games yet again. Away to Offaly, Wexford, Longford and Limerick in the final game.

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Tough draw again in the NFL, 4 away games yet again. Away to Offaly, Wexford, Longford and Limerick in the final game.

It's a joke that we keep getting 4 away games. I thought they were meant to rotate it and you had 3 home one year and 4 home the next.

The annoying thing is that three of those away games are a large distance and our home games are to Sligo, Roscommon and Fermanagh, all counties which we could have travelled to easily for away games.

The draw has been very unkind.

Lyng called back into the panel for 2014. I'm surprised by that. He hasn't been the same player for me since he lost his pace.

I remember seeing him play full forward for the Gaels in a county final back round the early to mid noughties and he was some prospect.

Sadly injuries then took their toll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

Lung called back into the panel for 2014. I'm surprised by that. He hasn't been the same player for me since he lost his pace.

I remember seeing him play full forward for the Gaels in a county final back round the early to mid noughties and he was some prospect.

Sadly injuries then took their toll.

Assume you mean ling - he is a talent alright. Similar to Jack Brady in many ways but definitely good enough to be in there. Not sure pace was such a huge factor in his attributes to begin with. I always saw him as a classic 11 or a free rolling 15 which suits Cavans style a bit more

More importantly I like the message that it sends out to all players in the county. Play good football for your club and regardless of your age or history you will be brought in and given a chance

Fooking iPhone, I did mean Lyng. Now corrected. Certainly in that game I saw he had pace to burn. He was playing in the full forward position and I remember the entire crowd thought he was going to be a huge star.

I think it was around 03 because he was still a teenager in that game.

Edit: just checked and it was 03. They beat Mullahoran in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Watched a cracking Under 14 Hurling game on the 3G tonight between Cootehill and St. Phelims...was nip and tuck all the way but Cootehill just pulled away near the end with some of the finest points you will see in any game of Hurling from Niall Fitzpatrick and Cormac Wall. Overall Cootehill had the best of the play and go on to meet East Cavan gaels next Monday, if that turns out to be half as good then its well worth going to watch.
    Well done both Cootehill and Phelims for showing how much hurling has come on in this County....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Congrats to Cootehill under 14 on winning the county hurling championship tonight on the 3G -was a great game with a very good East Cavan gaels side who put in a great performance and there was only a puck of the sliothar in it with Cootehill 3-05 to East Cavans 2-05.
    Also well done to Annalee Gaels on winning the under 14 shield, yet again another great match with Woodford Gaels in it until the final whistle....Great to see the small ball game being played the way it should.
    Well done to all players, coaches and trainers and to all supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 tj2011

muincav wrote: »
    Congrats to Cootehill under 14 on winning the county hurling championship tonight on the 3G -was a great game with a very good East Cavan gaels side who put in a great performance and there was only a puck of the sliothar in it with Cootehill 3-05 to East Cavans 2-05.
    Also well done to Annalee Gaels on winning the under 14 shield, yet again another great match with Woodford Gaels in it until the final whistle....Great to see the small ball game being played the way it should.
    Well done to all players, coaches and trainers and to all supporters.
    Went to watch both games and was not disappointed....Cootehill and East cavan was a nail biter, but credit to both teams....

Decent McKenna Cup group to start what will hopefully be a good year again next year.

We've been drawn in Group C against Antrim, Down and Jordanstown. Would be great to see a few of the squad players get a run out in this competition next year.

New jersey launches on 7th December in The Sports Shop.

Peter Canavan this evening confirmed as the new manager of Cavan Gaels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Peter Canavan this evening confirmed as the new manager of Cavan Gaels.

Didn't see that coming at all and a bad appointment in my view. Canavan is not a good manager and quite frankly if he gets the gaels playing the way he had Fermanagh playing for the last two years it will end in disaster. Discipline is already a huge issue in that club and throwing another ego into the mix is a recipe for disaster. Gaels biggest problem when they get into Ulster is their discipline let's them down and that won't improve under Canavan from the evidence of his time in charge of Fermanagh.

Also strange to see Niall Lynch remain as Kingscourt manager - he was manager in name only last year.

Ballinagh also looking for a new manager so a fair bit of upheavel.

Good win yesterday and nice to see an experimental line up. Would like to see that continue in the McKenna Cup. We know what the lads from last Summer offer so time to give others a chance:

http://www.hoganstand.com/meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=206825

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,707 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone know where Cavan and Louth finished in the football rankings for 2013 please?

Anyone know where Cavan and Louth finished in the football rankings for 2013 please?

Do you mean the Hogan Stand rankings?

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=201588

Cavan 8th
    Louth 17th

• Registered Users Posts: 51,707 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Do you mean the Hogan Stand rankings?

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=201588

Cavan 8th
    Louth 17th

Cheers. I saw that one but I thought the Sunday Independent did one but can't find it. Thanks.

Cavan team named to face Antrim in the McKenna Cup this Sunday:

Conor Gilsenan
    Joshua Hayes
    Rory Dunne
    Killian Brady
    Fergal Flanagan
    Alan Clarke
    Niall Smith
    Declan McKiernan
    Packie Leddy
    Martin Reilly
    Micheal Lyng
    Turloc Mooney
    Kevin Tierney
    Martin Dunne
    Eugene Keating

Good to see an experimental line up. There's only 7 players there who could be classed as regulars (Gilsenan, Dunne, Flanagan, Clarke, Reilly, Dunne and Keating).

I can't see Niall Smith playing at half back so would expect there to be a few positional changes. Will be interested in seeing what Kevin Tierney can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Its a good line up with plenty to come back in.
    It will be interesting to see how Leddy develops. Niall Smith is a great weapon to have hopefully injury has not dented his speed. Hayes has been on the panel for a long time and has a great attitude towards training its an important campaign for him.

scoopmine wrote: »
    Its a good line up with plenty to come back in.
    It will be interesting to see how Leddy develops. Niall Smith is a great weapon to have hopefully injury has not dented his speed. Hayes has been on the panel for a long time and has a great attitude towards training its an important campaign for him.

There's plenty of strength in depth this year. To think that you've the likes of Givney, Killian Clarke and Mackey to come back into it. Not to mention Gearoid McKiernan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

More or less the strongest team that could have been picked when you take injuries, colleges and under 21s into account. Hope Tierney has a big year - he's a real talent. Need to get GMac back playing too and hopefully Ronan Flanagan will be back longer term.

A big year ahead for Cavan football, especially exciting about this years batch of under 21s and minors. Think the big thing we need to find early on is another good score getting forward - hopefully someone can step into that role..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

I can't see Niall Smith playing at half back so would expect there to be a few positional changes.

I reckon he will play there why would he pick him there if he wasn't who he trying to kid?

celt262 wrote: »
    I reckon he will play there why would he pick him there if he wasn't who he trying to kid?

Even as a half forward, Niall isn't good at tracking back so I can't see how he'd play half back at inter county level.

I'm also used to players not playing at all where they are picked by Terry.

The first thing I noticied about the line up was Fergal Flanagan actually named as a half back! He's normally named a half forward!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

nice crowd out this evening in Killeshandra for the U21s
    THink there was 8 points in it at the end, first half completely dominant. Offaly pulled back 2 extra defenders in second half to limit the damage. I didn't have a team sheet so some of the names I couldnt tell you but full forward from Gowna Madden, Midfielder from Cavan Gaels and Mcveety at wing half back were the outstanding performers

Advertisement