Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Lemlin wrote: »
    Cavan are 2/1 for promotion from Division 3 so the bookies have us favourites alright. I was actually shocked to see we are 4/6 favourites to beat Monaghan this weekend, despite them being Ulster champions.

Last year the U21 lads played in the first three league games, up until the Meath match, and then went to the U21s. This year the panel is very competitive for places though so I can see them not featuring at all tbh.

Plus a lot of the u21 players from last year are over age now so won't have to worry about it. Think Vavan at 2/1 is worth a punt!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Plus a lot of the u21 players from last year are over age now so won't have to worry about it. Think Vavan at 2/1 is worth a punt!

That what all the cool kids are calling ye now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Syferus wrote: »
    That what all the cool kids are calling ye now?

Not to be confused with Navan obviously :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Cavan are now into 7/4. I think it's terrible value for what will be a very tough division. Cavan have 4 tough away games against Limerick, Wexford, Offaly and Longford. The home games are against Fermanagh, Sligo and Roscommon, all counties relatively close.

In terms of the U21s, only Killian Clarke, Dara McVeety and Michael Argue have previously been involved with the seniors. Of those three, only Clarke would be a recognised starter.

The U21s beat Longford 2-11 to 1-9 today so face Roscommon next weekend in the Hastings Cup semi final. What are your lot like this year Syferus?

Tbh I hate facing Roscommon. They seem to have had a hold over us at both senior and underage levels for a good few years now.

Cavan are still using experimental line ups. Today was the first day Killian Clarke started at full back and Senan Gilchrist appears to have been tried at midfield.

• Advertisement

The U21s beat Longford 2-11 to 1-9 today so face Roscommon next weekend in the Hastings Cup semi final. What are your lot like this year Syferus?

Tbh I hate facing Roscommon. They seem to have had a hold over us at both senior and underage levels for a good few years now.

Cavan are still using experimental line ups. Today was the first day Killian Clarke started at full back and Senan Gilchrist appears to have been tried at midfield.

Beat us in the Hastings final two years ago! The league match this year will mean much more than either of the last two ties too.

Would let ye win the Hastings semi if ye give us the rub in the championship ;)

This is easily our best U21 team on paper in many years, the core of the back-to-back Connacht-winning minor teams with the pick of last year's AI semi-finalists (losing to a Tyrone rugby team, it should be said). On paper.

There's alot of dual commitments right now and we've been trying out players throughout the Hastings so far. Donie Smith, our key forward in all reality, is out with an injury he suffered on Boyle's run to the Connacht inter final last November.

Would favour Cavan, poor mouthing aside, given they've seen more consistency - we were below par against Westmeath today and a late goal sunk us and almost meant we didn't even make the semis - but mainly it should be a good test for both sides ahead of hard provincial championships. We've Mayo away in the first round and would be playing Sligo and then Galway away if we keep winning.

Good panel but everyone's just focused on being ready for Mayo right now.

We've Mayo away in the first round and would be playing Sligo and then Galway away if we keep winning.

Jaysus I thought we got a tough draw in Ulster this year but that's a pig of a draw :eek: Would still fancy ye to win it though

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Jaysus I thought we got a tough draw in Ulster this year but that's a pig of a draw :eek: Would still fancy ye to win it though

Would fancy us to win Connacht if we can beat Mayo - we know we can beat Sligo and after such a gut-wrenching loss to Galway in last year's Connacht final we'd relish another chance to play them.

Mayo are going to be extra motivated, we've ran the tables on them three times in a row at the grade and for them that's got to be playing on their minds. Evan Regan is putting up scores for fun for Mayo in the Hastings and IT Sligo in the FBD.

Whoever is good enough to win Connacht this year will have every chance of winning the AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Galway only have to beat Leitrim to reach the U21 Connacht final and i think they have 11 of last years team remaining and if the face Roscommon in the final they would be at home. Cavan look like the team to beat in Ulster again but Derry,Tyrone away is as tough as it can get.

Cavan are now into 7/4. I think it's terrible value for what will be a very tough division. Cavan have 4 tough away games against Limerick, Wexford, Offaly and Longford. The home games are against Fermanagh, Sligo and Roscommon, all counties relatively close.

In terms of the U21s, only Killian Clarke, Dara McVeety and Michael Argue have previously been involved with the seniors. Of those three, only Clarke would be a recognised starter.

Think you will win all them easily accept for Wexford which will be tight.

• Advertisement

Beat us in the Hastings final two years ago! The league match this year will mean much more than either of the last two ties too.

Would let ye win the Hastings semi if ye give us the rub in the championship ;)

This is easily our best U21 team on paper in many years, the core of the back-to-back Connacht-winning minor teams with the pick of last year's AI semi-finalists (losing to a Tyrone rugby team, it should be said). On paper.

There's alot of dual commitments right now and we've been trying out players throughout the Hastings so far. Donie Smith, our key forward in all reality, is out with an injury he suffered on Boyle's run to the Connacht inter final last November.

Would favour Cavan, poor mouthing aside, given they've seen more consistency - we were below par against Westmeath today and a late goal sunk us and almost meant we didn't even make the semis - but mainly it should be a good test for both sides ahead of hard provincial championships. We've Mayo away in the first round and would be playing Sligo and then Galway away if we keep winning.

Good panel but everyone's just focused on being ready for Mayo right now.

This Cavan team are the only U21 team yet to have actually won Ulster at minor level but I have worries about them.

The backs are strong with players like Clarke, Conor Moynagh, McVeety and Gerard Smith (yet to come in) but the forwards are lacking a bit in comparison to previous years IMO.

We've a very tough run too. I'm generally a pessimist when it comes to Cavan football (Ben let down too many times) but I'll be pleasantly surprised if we retain Ukster this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Cavan 0.09 -Monaghan 1.05 half time
    Rocky start I thought,seemed to come to life in the last 10-15 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Cavan 0.09 -Monaghan 1.05 half time
    Rocky start I thought,seemed to come to life in the last 10-15 mins
    Level now after 6min in second half.
    Monaghan have Dick Clerkin on since half time and woken up since the break.

Commentary is live on Northern Sound as you might expect.
    http://www.northernsound.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Cavan 16points Monaghan 1.9.

Good win concidering there ulster champions,
    Tyrone bet Derry by 1 goal too

Good win considering I'd see it as an experimental team. Yes, Gilsenen, Dunne, Clarke, Givney, Keating and Mackey all played who are established players, but you've plenty of newcomers - Hayes, Tinnelly, Turloc Mooney, Kevin Tierney and Lyng, who was back in today. Not to mention others like Niall Smith, Leddy, McKiernan and Niall Murray who featured in other games.

Terry is going to have alot of headaches in two weeks time when the league starts.

A few like McLoughlin and Jack Brady haven't featured in squads yet but I would assume they are to come back in too.

Cracking result today against a fairly strong Monaghan team. Rory Dunne was immense again - is really commanding at centre back. Impressed by Philip Tinnelly in the first half - great to see another new face step up to the mark. Keating and Dunne were very lively, as was Martin Reilly and Tierney is getting better with every game. Only slight worry today was not dominant/winning enough ball at midfield and Gilsenan's kick-outs at time were poor enough.

In saying that delighted with the progress the team is making and Tyrone will be a big test.

Good win for the 21s against Longford too in the hastings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

Cracking result today against a fairly strong Monaghan team. Rory Dunne was immense again - is really commanding at centre back. Impressed by Philip Tinnelly in the first half - great to see another new face step up to the mark. Keating and Dunne were very lively, as was Martin Reilly and Tierney is getting better with every game. Only slight worry today was not dominant/winning enough ball at midfield and Gilsenan's kick-outs at time were poor enough.

In saying that delighted with the progress the team is making and Tyrone will be a big test.

He was playing full back Martin Reilly played centre back.

I don't know how many times over the past couple of years I've heard people say that we aren't winning enough at midfield.

The shocking thing is I don't think it's part of our game plan tbh. Terry seems to be more than happy for us to allow the opposition to win the ball and we then regain it by breaking their move down. This allows us to counter quickly.

celt262 wrote: »
    He was playing full back Martin Reilly played centre back.

Getting my codes mixed up - shouldn't post about GAA while watching ground ball :o

I don't know how many times over the past couple of years I've heard people say that we aren't winning enough at midfield.

The shocking thing is I don't think it's part of our game plan tbh. Terry seems to be more than happy for us to allow the opposition to win the ball and we then regain it by breaking their move down. This allows us to counter quickly.

We haven't really settled on a partnership and that's part of the problem - obviously McKiernan will help settle things down there when he comes back. Argue could make one of the midfield spots his own over the next few seasons so wouldn't be overly worried. Sometimes Gilsenan's kick-out don't help though and he could do with working on this end of the game. It was interesting today that a lot of times Cavan were happy enough to let Monaghan take short kick-outs unchallenged.

• Advertisement

We haven't really settled on a partnership and that's part of the problem - obviously McKiernan will help settle things down there when he comes back. Argue could make one of the midfield spots his own over the next few seasons so wouldn't be overly worried. Sometimes Gilsenan's kick-out don't help though and he could do with working on this end of the game. It was interesting today that a lot of times Cavan were happy enough to let Monaghan take short kick-outs unchallenged.

We allowed Fermanagh do the same last year. Our system very much seems to be to allow the opposition to have the ball and try and come at us.

A win against Tyrone next week would be huge but its going to be very tough. There's no mistaking the winning mentality this group of players have though. Even today they were 1-1 to 0 score down and there was no panicking. Just stick to the game plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,707 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I have just been looking at the Monaghan HS thread.
    What happened at the Cavan v Monaghan game that has them all riled?
    Or are they just bad losers.

Just read the thread there - just reminds me why I hate the HS Forum's - usual wum's and **** stirrers abound. Didn't see any of the alleged incident but I wasn't at that side of the ground. Cavan vs Monaghan always has an edge but nothing major - ref done ok today too.

I take what I read on the HS forums with a pinch of salt.

They lost!

Just had a look there and they seem to be complaining about Cavan supporters giving abuse to Monaghan players but I didn't notice anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

theres a short tv report on the Derry Tyrone game on the bbc:
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/gaelic-games/25801767

theres hardly something somewhere about the Cavan Monaghan game too is there?
    From the commentary there sounded like there was some serious quality scores being taken.

theres a short tv report on the Derry Tyrone game on the bbc:
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/gaelic-games/25801767

theres hardly something somewhere about the Cavan Monaghan game too is there?
    From the commentary there sounded like there was some serious quality scores being taken.

The BBC wouldn't take a huge interest in a game between two counties not in Northern Ireland tbh.

Is the final being showed on BBC or TG4? Kildare v meath will be on TG4. Bad form from the BBC if they don't cover it.

Is the final being showed on BBC or TG4? Kildare v meath will be on TG4. Bad form from the BBC if they don't cover it.

Nope, it's not being shown. It hasn't any other year to be fair so I can't see why they'd start this year.

I'm surprised TG4 haven't taken an interest in showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Nope, it's not being shown. It hasn't any other year to be fair so I can't see why they'd start this year.

not to worry our fearless michael tynan will be there to remind us gaels not able to attend of our proud history and probably where we can get a bite to eat on the way home

i think it will be a good test of where we are at the minute and silverware at senior level isnt too common so all is welcome

lets hope this is the 1st of many good days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

TG4 are showing the O'Byrne final.

Advertisement