Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

cavan4sam wrote: »
    not to worry our fearless michael tynan will be there to remind us gaels not able to attend of our proud history and probably where we can get a bite to eat on the way home

i think it will be a good test of where we are at the minute and silverware at senior level isnt too common so all is welcome

lets hope this is the 1st of many good days

Northern Sound actually had a different presenter doing the game at the weekend for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Cavan (McKenna Cup v Tyrone) - Conor Gilsenan; Joshua Hayes, Rory Dunne, Killian Brady; Philip Tinnelly, Alan Clarke, James McEnroe; Turloc Mooney, David Givney; Martin Reilly, Niall McDermott, Michael Lyng; Cian Mackey, Kevin Tierney, Eugene Keating.

Team named - unsurprisingly it shows no changes from Monaghan game.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,709 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Lemlin wrote: »
    Northern Sound actually had a different presenter doing the game at the weekend for some reason.

I heard Tynan got the bullet.
    Too many complaints about him. Poor commentator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

Damien Donohoe and Michael Hannon are going to be doing the commentary on cavan games for 2014

http://drumlinmedia.blogspot.ca/

I heard Tynan got the bullet.
    Too many complaints about him. Poor commentator.

I think that's a bit harsh. He's the old style of commentator which younger people don't appreciate.

Hearing about some final that was played in Ballymachugh or somewhere in 1957 and stories of that ilk are not what people want to hear in commentary nowadays.

• Advertisement

I think that's a bit harsh. He's the old style of commentator which younger people don't appreciate.

Hearing about some final that was played in Ballymachugh or somewhere in 1957 and stories of that ilk are not what people want to hear in commentary nowadays.

I like those stories too BUT not in the middle of the match.

I like those stories too BUT not in the middle of the match.

A closet Cavan supporter are you tayto? Listening to the games on Northern Sound. Things must be gone very bad up in Louth.

A closet Cavan supporter are you tayto? Listening to the games on Northern Sound. Things must be gone very bad up in Louth.

I go to a good lot of Cavan matches and my Kingscourt buddies often come to Louth games. A few pints after and a discussion. Often listen to NS for scores and results. Far faster than RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Hopefully Willie H can help take up some of the slack.

Full turkey, lads, full turkey.

my issue with tynans style of commentary was that he hardly ever told you what the score was during the game. Last summer I was abroad for the Derry match and it drove me up the wall. He would talk about someone taking a shot but never actually state whether he scored or not. And when he would mention someone has scored he wouldn't give you the overall score. There is a place for characters like him but in the full swing of a championship match I'm afraid he just doesnt have what you need.

Speaking of finals in Ballymachugh did anyone pick up a copy of their 125 year history book which they launched last year. Really well put together especially the bit about the lad who joined the priesthood and went on the missions to africa, ended up becoming a world class athlete with the title of the Fastest White Man in Africa. Amazing story, worth checking out

• Advertisement

Ros 1-06 Cavan 0-07 FT.

Happy with that, nine points may seem alarming but given this history of this fixture (the 2012 AISF being a great example), defensive battles are now the norm when we meet.

Cavan hit 16 wides to our 2, though Cavan would have been forced to take a good chunk of those shots from low percentage areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Dr McKenna Cup Final is now OFF until Wed, 12th Feb at 8pm at venue to be confirmed.

Syferus wrote: »
    Ros 1-06 Cavan 0-07 FT.

Happy with that, nine points may seem alarming but given this history of this fixture (the 2012 AISF being a great example), defensive battles are now the norm when we meet.

Cavan hit 16 wides to our 2, though Cavan would have been forced to take a good chunk of those shots from low percentage areas.

Report I saw said Cavan totally dominated. What sort of team had Roscommon out?

Cavan were very experimental. I'd expect to see a totally different team for our first U21 Ulster game vs Derry tbh.

Killian Clarke, Conor Madden or McVeety didn't start for example.

Report I saw said Cavan totally dominated. What sort of team had Roscommon out?

Cavan were very experimental. I'd expect to see a totally different team for our first U21 Ulster game vs Derry tbh.

Killian Clarke, Conor Madden or McVeety didn't start for example.

Missing plenty, Healy, Nally around the middle not being there would have hurt our ability to win procession. We've a FBD League final so some of the U21s featuring for the seniors didn't play. Dineen is still running the rule over the panel, we've a super-sized panel of around 40 players at last count.

From what I heard was it was a mirror image of the Kildare-Galway AISF last year, Cavan with reams of possession but couldn't find a way of using it correctly. We used the possession we had better. Conditions were poor too, which would have contributed to the low scoring.

Hopefully both teams meet again in the AI final. Best of luck in Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Cavan had most of the possession and dominated a lot of the play but woeful shooting lost us the game. From the 16 wides around 7 should have been scored without too much fuss. Towards the end of the game we missed a good goal chance, ref denied us a blatant free and then straight away a mistake by Conor Moynagh led to a Roscommon goal. We pushed hard after that and with a bit more bite up front could have rescued the game but it wasn't happening. Roscommon were living off scraps but took the chances that came their way.
    I think the work rate displayed by our lads was considerable lower than what I saw when they played Offaly, bar a few players like Moynagh and Argue who really emptied the tank. I thought we carried a lot of passengers, both Grahams, Enda Flanagan, Seacrest.

On the flip side there were some positives. Michael Argue's work rate was immense and his raiding forward is a huge part of Cavan's game. I expect a big year from him. Conor Moynagh is a very good center back and can be relied on to run himself into the ground. Dara McVeety came on and showed why he broke onto the Senior team last year, he doesn't look dangerous but the boy can play. He made a memorable tackle at one stage when Roscommon broke forward outnumbering Cavan, waited for his moment and turned the ball over brilliantly, as good as you'd see.

The big problem for Cavan is turning out as many of us identified when looking at the players available before the season started; lack of quality forwards. Madden is going to be the main man but he needs a supporting cast who can chip in. Graham is just too small at this level. I have great faith in Tom Hayes but again does he have the physicality to claim a starting spot? Then you have Bouchier, Hessien, Niall Walsh, Cian Byrne, McEnroe. All decent but none stand out as top quality nailed on starters.

I'd imagine due to the relatively easy games the team have had so far that some over confidence had creeped into the squad. This should bring them right back down to earth.

I still think we've alot of quality to come back in. Gerard Smith hasn't featured at all for example. He's a top player and could do a job if pushed into the half forwards. I've seen him do it for Lavey in that position.

Joe Dillon, Killian Clarke and McVitty only played bit parts in the competition for example. The Hastings Cup is an experimental competition and I think Peter was right to use it for that.

Cavan U21s played DIT the other night in Castleknock and a friend of mine was impressed by how quickly the team broke and moved the ball. That could be something the team are working on because our slow, measured build up has been a bit laboured in the past, at both U21 and senior level.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

I still think we've alot of quality to come back in. Gerard Smith hasn't featured at all for example. He's a top player and could do a job if pushed into the half forwards. I've seen him do it for Lavey in that position.

Joe Dillon, Killian Clarke and McVitty only played bit parts in the competition for example. The Hastings Cup is an experimental competition and I think Peter was right to use it for that.

Cavan U21s played DIT the other night in Castleknock and a friend of mine was impressed by how quickly the team broke and moved the ball. That could be something the team are working on because our slow, measured build up has been a bit laboured in the past, at both U21 and senior level.

We will move the ball quickly if we're allowed to. Roscommon flooded the half back line and we saw a lot of our attacks break down there. That's exactly what we'll be faced with in Ulster. The movement from our inside forwards just wasn't up to scratch. When Madden came on he was playing around the 40 which I thought was odd. We had no target to hit inside.
    I don't expect to see us change our style of play. It will be measured build up, holding onto possession and picking the right pass. My worry is that we were successful with that tactic last year because we had Enda O'Reilly and O'Connor inside. We don't have that quality in there this year.
    Gerry Smith is coming back from injury, he's the only lad yet you'd consider a certain starter yet to play a part. The team only really showed any urgency after Roscommon's goal today, there seemed to be a lack of concentration throughout.

We will move the ball quickly if we're allowed to. Roscommon flooded the half back line and we saw a lot of our attacks break down there. That's exactly what we'll be faced with in Ulster. The movement from our inside forwards just wasn't up to scratch. When Madden came on he was playing around the 40 which I thought was odd. We had no target to hit inside.
    I don't expect to see us change our style of play. It will be measured build up, holding onto possession and picking the right pass. My worry is that we were successful with that tactic last year because we had Enda O'Reilly and O'Connor inside. We don't have that quality in there this year.
    Gerry Smith is coming back from injury, he's the only lad yet you'd consider a certain starter yet to play a part. The team only really showed any urgency after Roscommon's goal today, there seemed to be a lack of concentration throughout.

Is Finnegan from Lacken involved at all? The forwards are definitely the problem. In the back line you are going to have Moynagh, McVitty, Clarke, Smith and Brady for example.

That's why I wouldn't mind seeing Smith pushed up. Two years ago I watched Lavey play the Gaels and he was immense in the first fifteen minutes for Lavey in the half forward line. He scored 3 superb points and the game wasn't even 20 minutes old.

The problem was that Niall Smith was doing the same for the Gaels down the other end so he got moved back onto him. Niall Smith didn't score again but Lavey lost the attacking advantage Smith had given them from moving him up.

Does anyone know if Killian Clarke is going to be involved for the seniors next week?

Do people think could the games this weekend be in danger of cancellation?

Some rain at the minute.

Team named Gilsenan, Hayes, R Dunne, K brady, McEnroe, Clarke, F Flanagan, Givney, Mooney, Mackey, Lyng, Reilly, McDermott, Tierney, Keating

Game still on but you'd have to wonder what Breffni will be like after another days rain. Pitch at the back is cutting up badly this week but haven't seen main pitch.

Anyhow strong team named and lets hope we hit the ground running - need to win this one.

• Advertisement

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Team named Gilsenan, Hayes, R Dunne, K brady, McEnroe, Clarke, F Flanagan, Givney, Mooney, Mackey, Lyng, Reilly, McDermott, Tierney, Keating

Game still on but you'd have to wonder what Breffni will be like after another days rain. Pitch at the back is cutting up badly this week but haven't seen main pitch.

Anyhow strong team named and lets hope we hit the ground running - need to win this one.

In all fairness, if we can't beat Fermanagh at home we haven't a chance of going up with the away games we've to come.

My one worry is the conditions. I honestly still think game could be cancelled. I live ten minutes drive from the town. It snowed heavily not so long ago and is bucketing down now after huge rainfall last night too.

The pitch in Breffni has to be in a jock as it doesn't hold water at the best of times. The annalee is also very high at the back of the ground. I would say it's unlikely that Breffni will be playable this evening. I know calls were made to Kingscourt to see could game be moved to there but I believe the pitch there is in a bad way too.

It's in Cavan's best interests that game goes ahead but hope early call is made if it is to be called off.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

The pitch in Breffni has to be in a jock as it doesn't hold water at the best of times. The annalee is also very high at the back of the ground. I would say it's unlikely that Breffni will be playable this evening. I know calls were made to Kingscourt to see could game be moved to there but I believe the pitch there is in a bad way too.

It's in Cavan's best interests that game goes ahead but hope early call is made if it is to be called off.

Cavan co board just said of Facebook, fixture still stands at the minute but pitch will be inspected again later in the day.
    Awful day to expect lads to get out and play though

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Game is off tonight lads
    Rescheduled for 2pm tommorow dependant on a pitch inspection at 11am.

Pitch inspection passed
    Game on.. 2pm

Full Time result in Kbp
    Cavan 1-12 ,Fermanagh 0-11

A win is a win I suppose and we usually lose these type of games. We were by far the better team and still nearly blew it but its rare we start the league with a win so will take that. Need a lot of improvement from today and no doubt it will come.

A win is a win I suppose and we usually lose these type of games. We were by far the better team and still nearly blew it but its rare we start the league with a win so will take that. Need a lot of improvement from today and no doubt it will come.

It's a bit different for us to play badly and win. In fairness, this might temper some of the hype about the team that is growing.

Offaly away next week will not be easy.

its a cliche for sure but winning and not playing well is the mark of a good team. Also at this time of year you don't want to be exactly flying either while promotion is important moving forward the real target is to be moving well against Armagh in Armagh.
    We also have at least 5 players to come back and be competitive with regards a starting spot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Big changes in the pipeline for Sunday v Offaly, Mooney, Toasty, Mackey and Givney all out. It makes things considerably tougher but here's hoping. What we have developed is good strength and depth in our panel so this should be a good test of it.

Advertisement