Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Givney is fine. Mooney, Clarke and Mackey are missing.

From the Cavan GAA website:

Following Cavan’s opening win over Fermanagh manager Terry Hyland has been forced to make a number of changes due to injuries. Belturbet’s Damien O’Reilly replaces captain Alan Clarke whilst intermediate player of the year Declan McKiernan will partner in midfield in place of Turloc Mooney. The other change is in attack where Cian Mackey will be very ably replaced by sharp shooter Martin Dunne.

The team line out as follows.

1 Conor Gilsenan Conchur Mac Giolla Seanáin Seamróga Choill an Chollaigh Bailieborough Shamrocks
    2 Joshua Hayes Joshua Ó h Aodha An Muinchille Cootehill
    3 Rory Dunne Ruarí Ó Duinn Cnoc Rua Redhills
    4 Killian Brady Cillain MacBradaigh Mullach Odhrainn Mullahoran
    5 James McEnroe Seamus Mac Conrua Reamor Aontainthe Ramor United
    6 Damien O Reilly Damien Ó Raghallaigh Béal Tairbirt Belturbet
    7 Fergal Flanagan Feargal Ó Flanagan Droichead an Bhuithlearaigh Butlersbridge
    8 David Givney Dáithí Ó Dhuibhne Droichead Uí Dhalaigh Mountnugent
    9 Declan McKiernan Déaglán Mac Tiarnann Cill na Séan Ratha Killeshandra
    10 Niall McDermott Niall Mac Dhiarmada Béal Átha na nEach Ballinagh
    11 Michael Lyng Michael Ó Loinn Gael An Cabhán Cavan Gaels
    12 Martin Reilly Mairtín Ó Raghallaigh Coill na Gearraí Killygary
    13 Martin Dunne Martin Ó Doinn Gael An Cabhán Cavan Gaels
    14 Eugene Keating Eoghann Ó Ciiteann Naomh Sylvesters Saint Sylvesters
    15 Kevin Tierney Caoimhín Mac Tiarnaigh Beal átha hÉis Ballyhaise

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Givney and Lyng out, Argue and K Clarke in.

20 mins in and we are up 6points to no score. Dunne with 3. Unfortunately couldn't make it down but seems like a fantastic start.

1-11 to 8 points. Fantastic win given that we were missing five from last week, and four of that five were some of our most experienced players: Givney, Lyng, Mackey and Clarke the captain.

Great to see Gearoid McKiernan come on for the last ten minutes as well.

Roscommon beat Wexford well I heard so we've a big game now down there on March 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Against Wexford? Think if your lads are fit you should work them. Lyng was missing today but Wexford looked like a team going in the wrong direction.

Syferus wrote: »
    Against Wexford? Think if your lads are fit you should work them. Lyng was missing today but Wexford looked like a team going in the wrong direction.

Yep, we have Wexford on March 2nd down there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Another good result and great to see we have such strength in depth but will need to step up again to beat Wexford and convert more of our chances. A bit plus to see GMac back quicker than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Wexford (A)
    Sligo (H)
    Longford (A)
    Roscommon (H)
    Limerick (A)

10 or 11 points is normally enough for promotion and Cavan should reach that total looking at those fixtures.

Wexford (A)
    Sligo (H)
    Longford (A)
    Roscommon (H)
    Limerick (A)

10 or 11 points is normally enough for promotion and Cavan should reach that total looking at those fixtures.

If football was played on paper :D.

Tbh can't look past the next game and it's a massive one and is another level up for Cavan. It would have been a major surprise if Cavan lost to Fermanagh (without the two Quigleys) or Offaly. Wexford away is a different challenge altogether without a few key players. If we win that one we can start to think about promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Not sure it's a level up tbh, Wexford look like a team going badly backwards to me.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Not sure it's a level up tbh, Wexford look like a team going badly backwards to me.

Really? only once in the last five years have Wexford not been a div 3 team and they should be in the promotion mix this year.

2010 div 3
    2011 div 3
    2012 div 3
    2013 div 2
    2014 div 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Good going lads. Beat Wexford away and you're as good as up. The Rossies at home is a big plus for ya.

Do you fancy yourselves in the u21 Ulster again and who do you play in 1st round?

Really? only once in the last five years have Wexford not been a div 3 team and they should be in the promotion mix this year.

2010 div 3
    2011 div 3
    2012 div 3
    2013 div 2
    2014 div 3

Have they not made Leinster finals in recent years ahead of the likes of Meath and Kildare also?

The bottom line is, despite last Summer's good run, we're Cavan. We still haven't earned the right to expect to beat anyone.

Getting the injured players back is also important. We went into yesterday's game without our centre half back, two current midfielders, our centre half forward and last year's player of the year. Those are five key players to be missing.

It's great to see Gearoid back but from what I hear, and its not to be unexpected, he was rather rusty on the ball. He'll need time to get up to match speed.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Have they not made Leinster finals in recent years ahead of the likes of Meath and Kildare also?

The bottom line is, despite last Summer's good run, we're Cavan. We still haven't earned the right to expect to beat anyone.

Getting the injured players back is also important. We went into yesterday's game without our centre half back, two current midfielders, our centre half forward and last year's player of the year. Those are five key players to be missing.

Wexford last reached the Leinster final in 2011 they bet Offaly,Carlow,Westmeath on route to that final. I would fancy Cavan to win at least 3 of their remaining 5 league games that would give them a total of 10 points the same Meath,Monaghan got last year to gain promotion.

The potential is there with the 3 Ulster U21 titles won in recent years and for senior progression its essential that Cavan are playing in a higher division in 2015.

Wexford last reached the Leinster final in 2011 they bet Offaly,Carlow,Westmeath on route to that final. I would fancy Cavan to win at least 3 of their remaining 5 league games that would give them a total of 10 points the same Meath,Monaghan got last year to gain promotion.

The potential is there with the 3 Ulster U21 titles won in recent years and for senior progression its essential that Cavan are playing in a higher division in 2015.

Wexford away and Roscommon home are the two big games for me. Monaghan only lost one game last year. Meath two.

A problem Cavan face now is that we had to dip into the U21s on Sunday due to all the injuries. Michael Argue and Killian Clarke both started. They might be available for the Wexford game in March but after that they'll be gone to the U21s.

It's vital we get the injured lads back. As well as that five, there are also others missing, like Jason McLoughlin and Jack Brady, who would be pushing to start if available. Our injury list is actually quite bad at the minute but people aren't realising it due to the strength in depth that's there now.

What your saying all makes sense on paper. But any of us long suffering Cavan fans have seen enough unfulfilled potential and false dawns over the years to get carried away and are not looking beyond the next game. Plus as Lemlin says the injuries are starting to mount and we don't have the under 21s available after the Wexford game. If we beat Wexford we should get up.

The potential is definitely there and this crop of under 21s are on paper the best of the lot with a lot of minor ulster winners coming into the panel and the minors will be very good this year.

You are right that it is essential that we are playing Division 2 football next year.

2010 div 3
    2011 div 3
    2012 div 3
    2013 div 2
    2014 div 3

I don't see how them being division 3 quality makes them a step up in division 3.

I'm not an expert on Wexford or where they are at at the minute by any means but when I said that game is a level up for Cavan I meant it in the context of the two games played to date Fermanagh (minus the two quigleys are a very poor team) and Offaly (probably heading straight back to Division 4). To me Wexford are a level up from that and while Cavan have won the two opening games (which is the most important thing) there is a lot of room for improvement in terms of scoring and shot selection etc and injuries are also starting to become a factor.

We won't be counting any chickens and Wexford away is a massive game in the context of Cavan getting out of Division 3 which the management have rightly put a huge emphasis on achieving this year.

As I said above, Cavan haven't earned the right to expect to beat anyone. I always remember 2006. Cavan only had to beat Waterford at home to be promoted. I don't think Waterford had won a game.

The story goes that the Waterford lads got off their bus at Breffni Stores beside the pitch, had a Coke and a Mars bar and made Cavan the first Ulster team they had ever beaten competitively.

ps. the Coke and Mars bar part may be urban legend but it adds to the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the coke and mars bars are mentioned in this examiner article!
    Despite their protestations, the air of complacency over the fixture was evident from the match programme, with one article comparing the highly unlikely possibility of a Cavan defeat to the sinking of the Titanic.

Waterford manager Jim Kiely saw the offending remark and made sure his players did too. "Fair dues to Waterford," says Walsh. "They travelled up in cars, ate Mars Bars and drank Coke and, in a way, we might have underestimated them when we saw all this. They did what they had to do and we didn’t take the opportunity when we had the chance."
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2006/0506/sport/deflated-cavan-need-big-display-to-get-revival-back-on-course-2657.html

That brings all the bad memories back - Breffni Stores must be closed at least ten years now Lemlin?? :pac:

Crazy crazy day and even more so when we had beaten them down in Waterford the year before by a cricket score!! The lads though thought they only had to turn up to win the game - don't think it would happen with this current squad to be fair.

• Advertisement

Tom Joad wrote: »
    That brings all the bad memories back - Breffni Stores must be closed at least ten years now Lemlin?? :pac:

Crazy crazy day and even more so when we had beaten them down in Waterford the year before by a cricket score!! The lads though thought they only had to turn up to win the game - don't think it would happen with this current squad to be fair.

I was at college with a member of the Donegal panel in 2006. He reckons one of the panel also went to college with a Cavan player and said player was texting him for the week before the Waterford game about how Cavan would be in Division One with Donegal the year after.

They had a good laugh about it in the Donegal dressing room after their own game when they saw Cavan had lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

As I said above, Cavan haven't earned the right to expect to beat anyone. I always remember 2006. Cavan only had to beat Waterford at home to be promoted. I don't think Waterford had won a game.

I thought i'd erased that memory....

Was at a wedding in Wexford that weekend, woke up with the mother & father of all hangovers. Got a series of texts from people at the game & needless to say my mood didn't improve. :mad:

Hmm, somewhere along the line "Wexford are no better than Fermanagh" has morphed into "Cavan should definitely beat Wexford in Wexford Park". I just want to point out that that change was not my doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

What division a team are in doesn't tell you everything about how good a team are, particularly in Championship, where plenty of teams up their game, and others flop... but it is generally a good indicator for league anyway.

Wexford are a decent side, have some excellent attacking players when everyone is fit but their defence can be dodgy. Very hard to beat in Wexford Park too, but I think Cavan are definitely the best side in the division and will beat Wexford. Even if they don't, they'll still be promoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

easily the most disappointing result i ever witnessed as a cavan supporter
    if i had a euro for every person i heard saying never again would they go to another game when leaving the ground i'd have had a nice holiday
    i think that game leaves it hard for us to get excited about promotion any year ,

we also had a very decent squad that year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

cavan4sam wrote: »
    if i had a euro for every person i heard saying never again would they go to another game when leaving the ground i'd have had a nice holiday

:)

Over the dark, dark years, the amount of times I've heard that being said (usually with the "i can't believe i paid in to see that useless shower...")

and yet, come the next game, many (most, if not all) would be back for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,881 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Years ago as teenagers a crowd of us were caught crossing the wall at half-time at Breffni Park at a Cavan v Louth match.

The stewards made us go back in and watch the second-half. :D:D

Better football nowadays lads.

4 Cavan players in the Railway cup panel:

Cavan: David Givney, Eugene Keating, Rory Dunne, Cian Mackey

We'd have six I think if McKiernan and Alan Clarke were fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,881 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

4 Cavan players in the Railway cup panel:

Cavan: David Givney, Eugene Keating, Rory Dunne, Cian Mackey

We'd have six I think if McKiernan and Alan Clarke were fit.

I notice Big Joe didn't pick Jamie Clarke.
    Is he making sure the Armagh marksman will stay injury free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I notice Big Joe didn't pick Jamie Clarke.
    Is he making sure the Armagh marksman will stay injury free?

He did. Grimley didn't want Clarke, McKeever and Dyas playing. So they weren't named.

Advertisement