Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,881 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Redsoxfan wrote: »

Grimley is probably right.
    Far too much football for some players and that can lead to unnecessary injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Far too much football for some players and that can lead to unnecessary injuries.

Agree 100%. No idea what Karl Lacey is doing in the squad. Maybe it's a good sign for us, but I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Givney and Mackey missed Cavan's last game so I'd prefer to see them not involved.

Keating scored seven points for Ulster today. 6 from play. The full forward line was him, Michael Murphy and Conor McManus. Some firepower there. They scored 1-19 between the 3 of them.

David Givney went off after 22 minutes. Does anyone know was this injury related?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Lemlin wrote: »
    Keating scored seven points for Ulster today. 6 from play. The full forward line was him, Michael Murphy and Conor McManus. Some firepower there. They scored 1-19 between the 3 of them.

David Givney went off after 22 minutes. Does anyone know was this injury related?

Karl Lacey didnt play.

For the first 20 mins, Ulsters 5-12 didnt function at all, and Givney was the scapegoat. They half backs and MF attacked but dint track runners the other way. Very lucky to be level at ht. FF line was lethal, and its what kept Ulster in the game in the fhe opening period

Second half, after a slow start.....conceding 1-3 or 4 to a point, Ulster regrouped and dominated to force extra time. Same in ET, Leinster kicked on by 3 or 4 and were reigned back in.

Keating excellent, and after a slow start, Peter Harte improved immensely and were probably 2 best players. Sean Cavanagh wasnt at the races at all. Mackey or Rory Dunne didnt get a run, but both were togged out, although Mackey wasnt listed on the programme

• Advertisement

Did Givney go off due to injury or why?

Did Givney go off due to injury or why?

He was the scapegoat for Ulsters poor start around the middle

McKenna Cup final moved to Armagh, although with the conditions here in Cavan tonight I'd be surprised if any pitch is fit for football this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

McKenna Cup final moved to Armagh, although with the conditions here in Cavan tonight I'd be surprised if any pitch is fit for football this week.

Some nights rain alright - a lot of pitches around the county will be wrecked after that!

Shame it couldn't be moved to Clones rather than Athletic Grounds - means I won't be able to make it as it's about a hour and a half for me to Armagh :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Just to let ye know lads that the game will be streamed live on the Armagh GAA website. They are meant to charge £1 to watch, but I managed to watch Donegal v Armagh in the group stage without paying any of the Queen's coin! (nothing dodgy, the game just appeared and no demand for money was made...)

• Advertisement

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Some nights rain alright - a lot of pitches around the county will be wrecked after that!

Shame it couldn't be moved to Clones rather than Athletic Grounds - means I won't be able to make it as it's about a hour and a half for me to Armagh :mad:

I honestly hope Cavan put out an experimental line up. Wexford on Sunday week is more important than this.

Five key players missed the Offaly game. I certainly don't think any of them should be risked in this match. The league has to be priority.

I honestly hope Cavan put out an experimental line up. Wexford on Sunday week is more important than this.

Five key players missed the Offaly game. I certainly don't think any of them should be risked in this match. The league has to be priority.

Wouldn't disagree with you tbh - much as it would be nice to win some silver - league has to be priority and especially with the injuries racking up.

Would be good to see some of the lads on the fringes get a run - also hope GMac gets some more game time - although I'm sure they will be sensible about easing him back in.

HT Cavan 0-8 Tyrone 1-5.

tyrone goal was right on half-time, Cavan playing with a good win behind them. Some great shooting from Martin Dunne in particular for Cavan but goal could be a game changer.

Cavan concede a sucker punch of a goal right on half time. It's 1-5 to 8 now. Cavan had been ahead the whole first half.

Cavan apparently playing with a breeze so second half is going to be tough.

Good selection of players on the bench to introduce though including David Givney and Gearoid McKiernan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

seem to have fallen apart in the 2nd half , tyrone really taking advantage of the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Killian Brady got a black card after a yellow, Cavan well beaten after that.

Watched the game on Armagh GAA site.
    Good first half and Cavan conceded a sucker goal just on half-time.
    Some woeful shooting in 2nd half and missed a goal chance early on too amd Keating missed a few handy frees..
    Over-carrying the ball and ran themselves ragged as a result. Tyrone then took over and missed 3 clear goal chances one-on-one with the Cavan keeper.
    Mackey was very good.
    Geroid Mc Kiernan a sub and came on in 2nd half when match was lost - very rusty - needs games. Givney a late sub.
    Not a bad game.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Good game for our lads, no shame in that defeat. Great to see some new faces in. Mackey was excellent, as was Martin Reilly thought he was immense. We seem to be struggling to put two halves of football together. Gearoid does look very rusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Were those five key players missing tonight? hard to read much into the McKenna cup, Monaghan lost the final last year yet they went on to win the div 3 and Ulster titles.

Not overly disappointed with the result - Cavan played well in patches and that game will stand to them. A couple of things went against them at crucial times but Tyrone were well worth their win - I felt the scoreline flattered them a wee bit.

Argue is developing into a super footballer and good to see GMac get more game time - he is still rusty but that's to be expected give his long lay off.

• Advertisement

Were those five key players missing tonight? hard to read much into the McKenna cup, Monaghan lost the final last year yet they went on to win the div 3 and Ulster titles.

Mackey was back. He got man of the match. Givney just came on. Alan Clarke, Mickey Lyng and Turloc Mooney all still missing.

So only one of the five started and another was a sub. Others like Fergal Flanagan and Killian Clarke were also missing.

It was a bit of a mixed bag line up from Cavan last night tbh. Jason McLoughlin and Damien Barkey starting their first games of the year for example.

It's vital for us to play in these games though for experience. We've a very big panel coming together with great strength in depth.

Is it true this was the first game this year Sean Cavanagh started for Tyrone?

Watched some of it on the stream, as much as I could but it kept freezing etc.

Tyrones fitness was very impressive, but I thought we played reasonably well all round. The red card was a killer, and they were able to defend comfortably and hit us on the break over the last 20. Some of our tackling and dispossessing was excellent, and with a young squad, the future is indeed bright.

Also, the fact that Geroid, Givney, Killian Clarke, Alan Clarke didnt start, shows there is some decent squad depth. Add to that the fact taht the game was in Armagh, there is plenty to look forward to for the summer

Things are getting brighter by the day.

We now have a Cavan GAA President from next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

He was my headmaster in Primary school :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Things are getting brighter by the day.

We now have a Cavan GAA President from next year.

Hopefully he uses his presidency to level the playing field with regards central funding for county teams and making larger counties be honest about their spending and 'donations'. Surely someone from Cavan will be aware of the disparity that exists right now. Doing that much would be enough to make him a great president.

I hear Kernan played a load of the Tyrone and Cavan lads in Tuam today after they played the Mc Kenna Cup final on Wednesday.
    Keating might have picked up an injury and Mackey was substituted too - exhausted.
    No Armagh players risked though as I said last week.

I hear Kernan played a load of the Tyrone and Cavan lads in Tuam today after they played the Mc Kenna Cup final on Wednesday.
    Keating might have picked up an injury and Mackey was substituted too - exhausted.
    No Armagh players risked though as I said last week.

Keating Mackey and the 2 Cavanaghs started, as did Peter Harte, but he didnt play on Wednesday

Connacht GAA on twitter posted the teamsheets. Poor coverage from Ulster GAA and the GAA itself on the twitter machine. Had to follow Tyrone GAA to get a jist of what was going on. Was at a club watch, which doesnt help with attendances

Keating Mackey and the 2 Cavanaghs started, as did Peter Harte, but he didnt play on Wednesday

Connacht GAA on twitter posted the teamsheets. Poor coverage from Ulster GAA and the GAA itself on the twitter machine. Had to follow Tyrone GAA to get a jist of what was going on. Was at a club watch, which doesnt help with attendances

Given how important league success is for Cavan this year, I think those lads should have pulled out of the Railway Cup.

Mackey and Givney for example both missed the Offaly game through injury. They both had the perfect excuse to give it a miss.

I'm surprised they are willing to put a now Mickey Mouse tournament ahead of the chance to play in Croker in a Division 3 final.

Given our recent Croke Park displays, these lads need as many experiences of headquarters as they can get.

Given how important league success is for Cavan this year, I think those lads should have pulled out of the Railway Cup.

Mackey and Givney for example both missed the Offaly game through injury. They both had the perfect excuse to give it a miss.

I'm surprised they are willing to put a now Mickey Mouse tournament ahead of the chance to play in Croker in a Division 3 final.

Given our recent Croke Park displays, these lads need as many experiences of headquarters as they can get.

Afraid you've been proven right Lemlin :mad: Keating done his hamstring and will be out for a few weeks..

• Advertisement

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Afraid you've been proven right Lemlin :mad: Keating done his hamstring and will be out for a few weeks..

Is it confirmed that he'll be gone a few weeks?

Advertisement