Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Lemlin wrote: »
    Is it confirmed that he'll be gone a few weeks?

haven't seen any confirmation but that's what I've heard - hopefully he's not too long out but it will depend on what the scan says.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Tom Joad wrote: »
    haven't seen any confirmation but that's what I've heard - hopefully he's not too long out but it will depend on what the scan says.

Hogan Stand reckon he misses this weekend anyway. He's a huge loss but last year we went to Pairc Tailteann and beat Meath and then beat Monaghan at home without him or Dunne. A few people I know are panicing but that has to be remembered.

I've also heard a few calls in the last 24 hours to start Gearoid and push Givney into the forward line but I still think its a bit early for Gearoid.

I wouldn't mind seeing McKieran or Mooney at midfield with Mossie Corr and push Givney into the full forward line if a big man is needed in there.

Hogan Stand reckon he misses this weekend anyway. He's a huge loss but last year we went to Pairc Tailteann and beat Meath and then beat Monaghan at home without him or Dunne. A few people I know are panicing but that has to be remembered.

I've also heard a few calls in the last 24 hours to start Gearoid and push Givney into the forward line but I still think its a bit early for Gearoid.

I wouldn't mind seeing McKieran or Mooney at midfield with Mossie Corr and push Givney into the full forward line if a big man is needed in there.

He's a big loss no doubt but we can't be silly and throw McKiernan in before he's ready. We should have enough in the panel to overcome Keating's loss - might give some of the other lads a chance to stake a claim for a starting place.

He's a big loss no doubt but we can't be silly and throw McKiernan in before he's ready. We should have enough in the panel to overcome Keating's loss - might give some of the other lads a chance to stake a claim for a starting place.

By saying McKiernan in midfield above, I meant Declan. I'm not up for starting Gearoid at all. I'd imagine Argue will be available for this weekend too and will then go to the U21s so he's an option also.

Cavan lead 8 points to 3 at HT. Not very clear on Twitter on the Official PRO page but it appears Gearoid started.

We have been fading in the second halves of matches and they're at home so no doubt they'll come out guns blazing second half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Good lively start to the second half. 2 points in as many minutes. Givney and Argue

Wexford down to 14. 13 minutes left and we lead twelve points to six. Hopefully we can hold on.

13 points to six it finishes. Fantastic win.

Great win and nice to see a good spread of scorers with Keating missing. Every time someone comes into the side they really step up to the mark which is a great sign.

Great win and nice to see a good spread of scorers with Keating missing. Every time someone comes into the side they really step up to the mark which is a great sign.

We're now joint top with Roscommon on six points. Only Sligo have four and we play them next Sunday. All other teams have 2 points except Offaly who have none.

2 home games (Sligo & Roscommon) and two away (Longford & Limerick) now left.

A win next Sunday will be a huge step to promotion. Will leave us four points ahead of all other teams, bar Roscommon, with only 3 games left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Very good away win, Cavan already showing div 2 form and would be a shock if you guys don't beat Sligo at home next Sunday. Cavan developing one of their strongest panels for decades and good manager leading the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

We're now joint top with Roscommon on six points. Only Sligo have four and we play them next Sunday. All other teams have 2 points except Offaly who have none.

2 home games (Sligo & Roscommon) and two away (Longford & Limerick) now left.

A win next Sunday will be a huge step to promotion. Will leave us four points ahead of all other teams, bar Roscommon, with only 3 games left.

i think we have our 3 toughest games coming up
    sligo will as always be hard work ,rossies seem to have the upper hand on us and longford though showing poor form will be hard work too
    fantastic results so far so long may it last and onwards and upwards

cavan4sam wrote: »
    i think we have our 3 toughest games coming up
    sligo will as always be hard work ,rossies seem to have the upper hand on us and longford though showing poor form will be hard work too
    fantastic results so far so long may it last and onwards and upwards

Sligo will be tough alright. Our draw with them last year was the beginning of our poor run of results that cost us promotion. It also coincided with the U21s being released from the panel.

I wouldn't expect Killian Clarke or Argue to be available next weekend. U21 championship kicks off Wednesday week. Rory Dunne was missing yesterday, as was Alan Clarke. Keating will miss another while IMO. Mickey Lyng is still missing too.

The panel is certainly being stretched at the minute but it's fit to cope with it this year.

The panel is certainly being stretched at the minute but it's fit to cope with it this year.

I think that's the key difference this year and fantastic also to see Ronan Flanagan back in a blue jersey too.

any news on Keating for the weekend?

While Sligo will be tough I would expect Cavan to have a few points to spare at the end.

Longford is the big game for us down there the following weekend - if we beat Longford and Sligo we should go up no matter what happens against Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

When Is the Roscommon match?

When Is the Roscommon match?

Sat 29th in Breffni @ 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Thanks
    Hopefully ill make that one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Was at the game on Sunday.

Defence was excellent, the number of turnovers in our half back line was huge. Ive seen one or two general reports saying that since the black card, teams are afraid to tackle....well not this Cavan side.

Should have won by a lot more though. Martin Dunne easily had 6 or 7 shots at the target and scored a solitary point. We dont have that killer instinct, although it is refreshing to see scores from all over the pitch. At least 6different scorers from play....Argue, Givney, McDermott, Mackey, Damien O'Reilly and Gearoid anyway

Heavy pitch so we tired late on and took the foot of the gas, but there is more to come I hope.

Rory Dunne, Alan Clarke and Eugene played no part. Killian Clarke started FB and was very good

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I did tell ye Wexford were pretty crap :pac:

keane2097 wrote: »
    I did tell ye Wexford were pretty crap :pac:

True dat!! but you should know by now that we are a pessimistic bunch in Cavan :)

Sligo now they are a different proposition - we'll be lucky to get within a few scores of them on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

True dat!! but you should know by now that we are a pessimistic bunch in Cavan :)

Sligo now they are a different proposition - we'll be lucky to get within a few scores of them on Sunday.
    sligo look to be coming into a bit of form all right, if the game against offaly is anything to go by
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/breheny-finds-range-as-sligo-turn-on-power-30055678.html

it should be a good game!

http://www.hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=211157

Jaysus - a great sign that Cavan football is on the up :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

http://www.hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=211157

Jaysus - a great sign that Cavan football is on the up :D:D

Haven't seen too much of Cavan, is he right in saying they're playing very defensively, hyperbole aside?

Haven't seen too much of Cavan, is he right in saying they're playing very defensively, hyperbole aside?

No more than any other Ulster team tbh and it's obvious he hasn't watched Cavan this year - he also references cynical fouling - would love to see how our black card ratio compares to other counties but i think it would be favourable.

The Cavan system is based on good defensive organisation, disciplined tackling and everyone working when they don't have the ball - hardly revolutionary and we've racked up some decent scores this year (a lot of wides and dropped short too). All in all I don't think we can be labelled overly defensive and it's hard to dissect the rant as the man is a walking contradiction - love how he is praising Tyrone and Donegal now!!

What struck me most was the last time he used the "Black Death" moniker was before we played Derry in the qualifiers last year - you'll never guess who our under 21s are playing next week!!

Joe knows how to keep himself in the press. As Tom Joad correctly says, last year he used the term "Black Death" before the Cavan Derry game. He then said on The Sunday Game that it was just a bit of a joke and he had great time for the Cavan team and supporters.

He also pointed out that we were the far better team against Derry in a game where we scored 1-22.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Well one thing is for sure, he has everybody talking about us. Better being talked about than not being talked about. Shows that Cavan are starting to turn heads.

cournioni wrote: »
    Well one thing is for sure, he has everybody talking about us. Better being talked about than not being talked about. Shows that Cavan are starting to turn heads.

Was talking to an Offaly man yesterday and he was saying he'd love if Offaly could start to implement some of the success Cavan have had.

One thing he also mentioned is Terry. He reckons the way he deals with the media is excellent. Everything is just brushed off with little or no furore.

I've no doubt the media will be looking for Terry's reaction regarding Brolly's comments and they'll be lucky to get five words out of him.

I'll just leave this here. A lot must change in Joe's world in seven or eight months:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qbspYYI-pO8

Team named for Sligo game:
    http://cavangaa.ie/cavan-team-announced-allianz-division-3-round-4-tie-sligo/

No Rory Dunne, Mark McKeever and Kevin Tierney start and Givney named at 15 are the changes that stand out. Strong team and shows the strength in depth we now have.

• Advertisement

Team named for Sligo game:
    http://cavangaa.ie/cavan-team-announced-allianz-division-3-round-4-tie-sligo/

No Rory Dunne, Mark McKeever and Kevin Tierney start and Givney named at 15 are the changes that stand out. Strong team and shows the strength in depth we now have.

No Alan Clarke still either. The two changes you mention are made as Killian Clarke and Argue are now with the U21s.

I think it's a good move by Terry. McKeever's experience will be vital with other some of the older heads missing. I'm not sure about Killian Brady at full back though. James McEbroe started a few games at full back in the league last year so I wouldn't be surprised to see him slot back in there. You know how Terry loves his positional changes.

Bringing Tierney back in is also a good move IMO. He has shown he can score goals and that's the one area we are lacking in at the minute.

Win this Sunday and we'll be going into the last 3 games four points ahead of all other teams bar Roscommon. Lose and we'll be level on points with Sligo, probably 2 behind Roscommon, and with three tough games left.

Advertisement