Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

keane2097 wrote: »
    Haven't seen too much of Cavan, is he right in saying they're playing very defensively, hyperbole aside?

I read something during the week that some pundits are saying that teams are afraid to tackle because of the black card. Well Cavan are not. They are hard in the tackle and the general work rate is very high.

From the Wexford game, the game was low scoring which Brolly was entittled to point out. What he didnt mention was the condition of the pitch. It was a very heavy club field....well at least I hope Wexford have a better quality pitch for Championship mathes if they get home ties.

Also the fact that Cavan missed alot of chances....easlily could have finished with 1-20 or so......does that type of score indicate defensive football.

Short summary:

Heavy pitch
    Lots of turnovers by Cavan, generally in half back line
    Host of missed chances.....Martin Dunne kicked 1 point from at least 6 shots at the target for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

listening to the game online here

it seems very scrappy marren and kelly causing problems and sligo will probably bring coen on soon which will cause even more problems

big 35 mins a head for us we need to show a lot of character to pull through this one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Hard fought win. Wet heavy conditions. Missed a few chances as well. Gearoid kicked 4 points from play. McDermott kicked 1-2 or so. 4 from 4....cant ask for much more. Givney Keating Alan Clarke and all the under 21s missing

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Very good win, a lot of lads really stepped up to the mark when our backs were to the wall. Gearoid, Martin Reilly, Mackey and McEnroe were all excellent. Reilly's work rate is fantastic. Mackey's creativity when faced with a blanket defence is priceless. Some highly peculiar refereeing decisions throughout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Great win and a few years ago at four points down we would never have got a result. Team has great character and management not afraid to make changes when they are needed. Gearoid McKiernan was fantastic and it's great to see him back.

Heard that Keating should be back for Longford game which would be great.

I thought the ref was absolutely awful today - missed loads of stuff and made some odd decisions.

Longford away will be tough as they look to be finding form but we are in with a great chance of promotion now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I wasn't at the game due to attending a family function today but I was driving and listening on the radio. Things didn't sound good when we were nine points to five down six minutes into the second half.

We must have made some turnaround then to go on and win 1-12 to ten points. The fact that we must of kept Sligo to one point from thirty or so minutes is impressive.

Some strength in depth in the panel considering the players missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Who refereed your game today as I see a lot of complaints?

Stevie Wonder :cool:.....:pac:

I don't have a name but I'm told it was a Kildare man. Don't mention the war :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The report in the Indo has "F Barry (Kildare)" down as the ref.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/hyland-hails-cavan-character-30077122.html

Northern sound have a more indepth match report and interview with Terry.
    http://www.northernsound.ie/sport/cavan-1-12-sligo-0-10-report-and-reaction/

pity theres no video highlights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

The report in the Indo has "F Barry (Kildare)" down as the ref.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/hyland-hails-cavan-character-30077122.html

Northern sound have a more indepth match report and interview with Terry.
    http://www.northernsound.ie/sport/cavan-1-12-sligo-0-10-report-and-reaction/

pity theres no video highlights

Fergal Barry is a dreadful referee. Almost every club match he referees in Kildare ends up with some sort of controversy. I don't know how he is selected for inter county fixtures.

Fergal Barry is a dreadful referee. Almost every club match he referees in Kildare ends up with some sort of controversy. I don't know how he is selected for inter county fixtures.

I heard he was dreadful yesterday from anyone I have spoken to about the game.

Apparently it was very much Sligo employing the 'Black Death' also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Lemlin wrote: »

Par for the course with him I'm afraid. Strikes me as one of those referees who just wants to be the centre of attention in every game.

They're probably the ones who these referee assessors love. :rolleyes:

Par for the course with him I'm afraid. Strikes me as one of those referees who just wants to be the centre of attention in every game.

They're probably the ones who these referee assessors love. :rolleyes:

Well he didn't make yas any new friends in Cavan yesterday anyway.

Strikes me as one of those referees who just wants to be the centre of attention in every game.

Sums him up well from his performance yesterday - he wanted to be the main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Apparently it was very much Sligo employing the 'Black Death' also.

Sligo were without good defenders Charlie Harrison and Keelan Cawley both out injured and Donovan arguably their best defender got a black card yesterday. Though one for Cavan this weekend, Longford coming into form with some key players having returned and they are normally difficult to beat in Pearse park.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Promotion is looking good but Longford can potentially upset the apple cart. If they can beat us next weekend and win their last two games we would need to get something off Roscommon and beat Limerick or else Longford would beat us to promotion on the head to head. Then again Longford have Sligo away and Wexford away which are very tough games but those teams will have nothing to play for if Roscommon beat us.

Limerick could theoretically make a push but I don't see them having enough to win their next two games and beat us.

If we lose to Longford we'll be looking over our shoulders, from what we've seen so far I think we'd be lucky to take points from the Rossies visit to Breffni, although a draw would probably send us both up...

Hopefully Limerick drop points in the next two games and then they'd have nothing to be playing for going into the last game, but maybe win one so they're not fighting for survival.

My head hurts....

Sligo were without good defenders Charlie Harrison and Keelan Cawley both out injured and Donovan arguably their best defender got a black card yesterday. Though one for Cavan this weekend, Longford coming into form with some key players having returned and they are normally difficult to beat in Pearse park.

In terms of players being missing, Cavan were without Centre half back and captain Alan Clarke, midfielder David Givney, full forward and Ulster All Star winner last year (and our best forward) Eugene Keating, corner back and Ulster All Star winner last year Killian Clarke and six foot six giant Michael Argue. Our regular full back Rory Dunne was also only fit to come on. We were that short in that position that Killian Brady who never played there before started full back.

And that's without mentioning long term absentees like Jack Brady who is still missing through a foot injury. Mossie Corr is also working his way back to fitness, as well as Micheal Lyng.

People haven't realised it yet but the Cavan panel is actually being very stretched at the moment and is really showing its quality.

Longford will be a very tough game alright. I would have had them down as a team that would be pushing for promotion and they could well make a late surge yet.

It would have been nice to have Keating back but I'm told his target has been set as the Roscommon game. There's no point rushing him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭blowitupref

In terms of players being missing, Cavan were without Centre half back and captain Alan Clarke, midfielder David Givney, full forward and Ulster All Star winner last year (and our best forward) Eugene Keating, corner back and Ulster All Star winner last year Killian Clarke and six foot six giant Michael Argue. Our regular full back Rory Dunne was also only fit to come on. We were that short in that position that Killian Brady who never played there before started full back.

And that's without mentioning long term absentees like Jack Brady who is still missing through a foot injury. Mossie Corr is also working his way back to fitness, as well as Micheal Lyng.

People haven't realised it yet but the Cavan panel is actually being very stretched at the moment and is really showing its quality.

Longford will be a very tough game alright. I would have had them down as a team that would be pushing for promotion and they could well make a late surge yet.

It would have been nice to have Keating back but I'm told his target has been set as the Roscommon game. There's no point rushing him back.

Yes i understand you only had 6 or 7 that started in the last championship game on Sunday however Cavan with their underage success have strength depth now while Sligo haven't won minor title since the 60s never won U-21 title and their club football is poor. When Sligo have players missing they simply don't have suitable cover.

Yes i understand you only had 6 or 7 that started in the last championship game on Sunday however Cavan with their underage success have strength depth now while Sligo haven't won minor title since the 60s never won U-21 title and their club football is poor. When Sligo have players missing they simply don't have suitable cover.

Any county would have it hard to replace Eugene Keating tbh. His impact for Cavan is on par with the Gooch in Kerry or Brogan for the Dubs.

My point is also the players we replaced were some of our best. For example, we recently had 4 players involved in the Ulster Railway Cup panel. Only one, Cian Mackey, started on Sunday. I'm told he was actually the player who made the difference in the second half by running directly at Sligo.

• Advertisement

Huge game against Derry tonight in the U21s. It's going to be very difficult to come out of there with a win.

Hopefully lads with senior experience like Killian Clarke, Michael Argue and McVeety can pull us through. Not to mention the likes of Gerard Smith and Conor Moynagh.

It's our forward line that worries me. I just don't see enough firepower there.

Cavan 3-10 Derry 0-12. Seemed like it was fairly comfortable from following it on northern sound. Fantastic result but doesn't get any easier - Tyrone in first round proper (Breffni Park next Wednesday)

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Cavan 3-10 Derry 0-12. Seemed like it was fairly comfortable from following it on northern sound. Fantastic result but doesn't get any easier - Tyrone in first round proper (Breffni Park next Wednesday)

Fantastic win. Only aspect which is disappointing is an injury to Nevin O'Donnell.

Some score for the lads to rack up though. First goal was scored in the first minute. We seem to have a real knack of hitting teams with goals early at this level.

The team looks very strong. A number of experienced players in there.

Really looking forward to next Wednesday, Tyrone in the park will be cracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Here's an "As it happened" in case anyone is interested:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/happened-cavan-overpower-derry-u21-champ/

A feast of football for Breffni fans over the next week. Longford away in the league followed by Tyrone at Breffni next Wednesday night.

After years of drought, we're actually being spoiled with some success at the minute. Not in terms of silverware (yet hopefully) but being competitive has its joys after spending the best part of a decade in the doldrums.

A feast of football for Breffni fans over the next week. Longford away in the league followed by Tyrone at Breffni next Wednesday night.

After years of drought, we're actually being spoiled with some success at the minute. Not in terms of silverware (yet hopefully) but being competitive has its joys after spending the best part of a decade in the doldrums.

hear, hear :D

Feast of football is right - looking forward to Longford game - it will be tough and tight but these days you would have to back Cavan in a tight match.

Tyrone in Breffni has the making off a cracker but would put Cavan slightly ahead in this given our hastings run and a game already which could be a big factor. Was talking to a lad from Tyrone who was confident of overcoming Cavan based on Tyrone beating Mayo U21 in a challenge a few weeks ago and Kerry U21 too. Think the more competitive nature of our games already gives Cavan the edge.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    hear, hear :D

Feast of football is right - looking forward to Longford game - it will be tough and tight but these days you would have to back Cavan in a tight match.

Tyrone in Breffni has the making off a cracker but would put Cavan slightly ahead in this given our hastings run and a game already which could be a big factor. Was talking to a lad from Tyrone who was confident of overcoming Cavan based on Tyrone beating Mayo U21 in a challenge a few weeks ago and Kerry U21 too. Think the more competitive nature of our games already gives Cavan the edge.

An experimental Cavan team beat Mayo fairly easily in the Hastings Cup. I don't think people realise that in the Hastings Cup we were playing lads who aren't near the panel now.

I also thought people were expecting Armagh to be the key opponent in this year's U21 and not Tyrone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Great to see ye winning too. One step closer. What out for the Tyrone rugby team the next day out.

• Advertisement

Keating back in the FF line. Important to try sew up promotion this weekend.

1 Conor Gilsenan Conchur Mac Giolla Seanáin Seamróga Choill an Chollaigh
    2 Joshua Hayes Joshua Ó hAodha An Muinchille
    3 Rory Dunne Ruarí Ó Duinn Cnoc Rua
    4 Feargal Flanagan Fearghal Ó Flannagain Droichead an Bhuitlearaigh
    5 Mark McKeever Marcus Mac Íomhair Loch Gamhna
    6 James McEnroe Seamus Mac Conrua Reamor Aontainthe
    7 Damien O Reilly Damien Ó Raghallaigh Béal Tairbirt
    8 Gearoid McKiernan Gearóid MacTiarnann Muilleann Iarann
    9 Killian Brady Cillain MacBradaigh Mullach Odhrainn
    10 Cian Mackey Cian Ó Maca Caisleán Rathain
    11 Niall McDermott Niall Mac Dhiarmada Béal Átha na nEach
    12 Martin Reilly Mairtín Ó Raghallaigh Coill na Gearraí