Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭rrs

There wouldn't be a bad rivalry between Monaghan and Armagh, it's not Tyrone and Armagh rivalry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Apparently all referees are appointed for games by Pat McEneaney, a Monaghan man.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

Tom Joad wrote: »
    This is a real head scratcher as we have a few players that can break at speed and really hurt teams but we only do it very occassionally and if it was something we done more often we could get a lot of joy from it. In one of the league matches in Breffni, Dara McVetty had a 10 min spell where he kept running at defenders from midfield and it caused panic but then we didn't do it again during the match.

That's the problem. We do have players who can do it but they aren't encouraged too it appears. Ronan Flanagan is a great carrier of the ball for example but his play under Terry Hyland has been very negative.

I remember a few years back in the league under Val against Sligo where he was man of the match basically playing a free role following the ball. The tactic seemed to be that, when a Cavan man was in trouble, Flanagan was always nearby, free to be given the ball and carry it which he was more than capable of doing.
    willabur wrote: »
    Your argument doesn't stack up I'm afraid. If anything a neighbouring ref is going to go against the local rival rather than go for them

the bigger issue with GAA referees is not to do with bias rather down to plain competency.

There wouldn't be any bad blood between Monaghan and Armagh. They wouldn't essentially be seen as rivals, even though they are neighbouring counties.

I do think the GAA should move away from counties when appointing referees. For example, everyone knows our history with Cormac Reilly, a Meath man. He may be from a different province but he's still from a bordering county. Are there not plenty of southern referees could taken Cavan games?

The scenario a couple of years back where our own Joe McQuillan reffed 6 of Dublin's 7 or 8 games in the Championship was ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Heard Darren Hughes has broke a bone in his foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Heard Darren Hughes has broke a bone in his foot.

I heard it was Conor McManus :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

tanko wrote: »
    I heard it was Conor McManus :rolleyes:

Appreciate the sarcasm but he actually has. If I was dealing with bull I'd go on hoganstand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Appreciate the sarcasm but he actually has. If I was dealing with bull I'd go on hoganstand.

heard the same rumour from a Monaghan man today - would be a big loss to them but it could all be smoke and mirrors stuff.

Fair enough, but I'll believe it when I see it. He would be a big loss to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Fair enough, but I'll believe it when I see it. He would be a big loss to them.

Cavan black ops team is in full swing. 1st- get a young lad testing positive for performance enhancing drugs

2nd: Hughes is nobbled

By the 24th Mc Manus will be abducted by aliens, Clerkin will have left to play professional tiddlywinks & Mone will leave to pursue his dream of acting in a broadway musical

It's all coming together nicely

• Advertisement

Why is there no Monaghan Gaa thread on here? There's enough of them hanging around Boards. They could tell us for sure what's going on.

Why is there no Monaghan Gaa thread on here? There's enough of them hanging around Boards. They could tell us for sure what's going on.

They don't have the tinternet yet up there is the simple answer :D.

A Monaghan forum?

Christ, how grim would that be? I have visions of the butcher boy meets the lawnmower man.

They don't have the tinternet yet up there is the simple answer :D.

Sure they're only after getting the electric anyways

Sure they're only after getting the electric anyways

Are you trying to draw them out. Losing to them the last time in clones was bad enough but if we lose to them in Breffni it would be unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Are you trying to draw them out. Losing to them the last time in clones was bad enough but if we lose to them in Breffni it would be unbearable.

Oddly enough I'd rather listen to the Monaghan supporters if they win than some of our own if we lose..

• Advertisement

Oddly enough I'd rather listen to the Monaghan supporters if they win than some of our own if we lose..

True, I can hear the shouts of "will ya let it in ta f#ck " already:D

True, I can hear the shouts of "will ya let it in ta f#ck " already:D

I love that call. Heard it numerous times on the terrace in a match there where you had a full forward line of Martin Dunne and Jack Brady!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Jampip wrote: »
    I love that call. Heard it numerous times on the terrace in a match there where you had a full forward line of Martin Dunne and Jack Brady!

And it's normally followed by harsh criticism of the two inside men,if the ball is given in,when they are outnumbered by 4 or 5 to 2 and they inevitably fail to win it.

Hammar wrote: »
    And it's normally followed by harsh criticism of the two inside men,if the ball is given in,when they are outnumbered by 4 or 5 to 2 and they inevitably fail to win it.

Our supporters are very bad for getting on the team's back alright. The Roscommon game last year was dreadful, even a few minutes in before the drubbing we got materialised they were at it.

I don't know what they expected when 8 starters or something crazy was missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Size doesn't matter if its kicked in low to space.
    Cavan's forwards are usually nippy.

• Advertisement

Our supporters are very bad for getting on the team's back alright. The Roscommon game last year was dreadful, even a few minutes in before the drubbing we got materialised they were at it.

I don't know what they expected when 8 starters or something crazy was missing.

Oh come on, anyone who paid into that game was entitled to complain. It was wet & miserable & that was the worst inter county "display" that fans probably have ever had to endure. 2pts to 1 at half time? I'm still getting therapy to recover from that game

Oh come on, anyone who paid into that game was entitled to complain. It was wet & miserable & that was the worst inter county "display" that fans probably have ever had to endure. 2pts to 1 at half time? I'm still getting therapy to recover from that game

Not after 5-10 minutes in my book they weren't. It was far too early to be giving out at that stage.

As well as that, as I already pointed out, we were missing over half our starting team including influential players like Rory Dunne, Mackey and Killian Clarke.
    Size doesn't matter if its kicked in low to space.
    Cavan's forwards are usually nippy.

Martin Dunne would need to move to even appear nippy. Quick ball into space is just not something Cavan do under Hyland sadly.

Not after 5-10 minutes in my book they weren't. It was far too early to be giving out at that stage.

As well as that, as I already pointed out, we were missing over half our starting team including influential players like Rory Dunne, Mackey .

On the terrace I didn't hear anything of that- the exasperation wasn't about not "letting it in long" but more a resolute resistance to anyone- from either side- taking a risk when in a scoring position

It was all about "recycling".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭macdonagh2007

Heard over the week-end that Mayo lost to Cavan by 8 points in a challenge game played behind closed doors. Last year they played each other in Ballina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭macdonagh2007

I think it was the Minors that had the win..

Covered stand now sold out. Looks like there's going to be a big crowd at this. Hopefully it's Cavan supporters and we aren't outnumbered by our compatriots from Monaghan.

The way the tickets are being sold is annoying though. It was much easier for the League games when you could buy them in Supervalu.

Are Supervalu not selling tickets for this match?
    They can be got in Brffni Park anyway.

Are Supervalu not selling tickets for this match?
    They can be got in Brffni Park anyway.

Nope, apparently Supervalu only did the League matches. Breffni Park isn't much good if you're in Bailieboro or Kingscourt!

Nope, apparently Supervalu only did the League matches. Breffni Park isn't much good if you're in Bailieboro or Kingscourt!

Fair enough, but surely those clubs have some for sale.

Available from clubs as well and online - gaa.tickets.ie.

Got mine in Breffni Park this morning :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

any fear of this being a sell out?
    Would be some boast for the Ulster Championship to have the first two games sell outs if it was. 32,000 capacity is a big jump up from 18,000 so would imagine there would still be plenty of tickets to be got on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Im pretty sure the old man got tickets in Super Valu in Virginia on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Heard over the week-end that Mayo lost to Cavan by 8 points in a challenge game played behind closed doors. Last year they played each other in Ballina.

Unlikely as they played Meath the last weekend. They were training on Sunday morning, so maybe it was then.....but beating Mayo by 8......cant imagine that to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭celt262

Galligan not in goals for juniors tonight that may mean he is starting Sunday.

Juniors lost by a point to Louth tonight.

Juniors lost by a point to Louth tonight.

It was a very experimental junior team to be honest. Generally the junior team includes some of the senior panel but none were there tonight.

It was a very experimental junior team to be honest. Generally the junior team includes some of the senior panel but none were there tonight.

Don't think there would have been any of them eligible apart from Galligan. Any more that may have been?

celt262 wrote: »
    Don't think there would have been any of them eligible apart from Galligan. Any more that may have been?

Was Aaron Farrelly not in goals? He was in the side they put up on Twitter.

Was Aaron Farrelly not in goals? He was in the side they put up on Twitter.

Is he on the senior panel?

• Advertisement

celt262 wrote: »
    Is he on the senior panel?

No goalie for juniors was Aaron Farrelly Ramor - James Farrelly Kingscourt goalie is on Senior Panel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

for those abroad, this game will be on GAA GO (the online official RTE/ GAA match Streaming Service)

Normally, its a tenner a game, but those of us signed up for the Newsletter theres a code for 50% off.
    Not sure if I can post it here, but I'll pass it to anyone who drops a PM
    Even if its a personal code, I've the subscription anyhow so dont need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

the closer we get to the game the more confident I am feeling.
    We need to source some firepower on the day, someone needs to chip in with 6 points and maybe a couple of goals and I reckon we are in with a shout. Monaghan have that firepower and it is where they can hurt us. Hopefully we can keep McManus and co quiet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Senior Team in Full:
    Conor Gilsenan (Bailieboro), Jason McLoughlin (Shannon Gaels), Rory Dunne (Redhills), Ronan Flanagan (Castlerahan), James McEnroe (Ramor Utd), Feargal Flanagan (Butlersbridge), Damien O’Reilly (Belturbet), Tomas Corr (Denn), Gearoid McKiernan (Swanlinbar), Dara McVeety (Crosserlough), Michael Argue (Bailieboro), Martin Reilly (Killygarry), Cian Mackey (Castlerahan), Martin Dunne (Cavan Gaels), Niall McDermott (Ballinagh).

Notable absentee is Clarke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭SheldonC17

If the teams line out as named with Clarke missing and Monaghan with a full deck to choose from we could be in trouble.

SheldonC17 wrote: »
    If the teams line out as named with Clarke missing and Monaghan with a full deck to choose from we could be in trouble.

Apart from Clarke, this is our strongest team.

• Advertisement

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Senior Team in Full:
    Conor Gilsenan (Bailieboro), Jason McLoughlin (Shannon Gaels), Rory Dunne (Redhills), Ronan Flanagan (Castlerahan), James McEnroe (Ramor Utd), Feargal Flanagan (Butlersbridge), Damien O’Reilly (Belturbet), Tomas Corr (Denn), Gearoid McKiernan (Swanlinbar), Dara McVeety (Crosserlough), Michael Argue (Bailieboro), Martin Reilly (Killygarry), Cian Mackey (Castlerahan), Martin Dunne (Cavan Gaels), Niall McDermott (Ballinagh).

Notable absentee is Clarke.

Clarke is still touch and go I've heard. I wouldn't be surprised to see him start on Sunday.

That probably is our strongest team. A few people I've spoken to this morning expect Mackey and Argue to switch but I hope Argue stays on the 40 to support our midfield and win some ball.

I suppose the thing about leaving Argue inside for periods during the game is how Monaghan will be forced to react. It will be entirely different from Dunne and McDermott being inside and Monaghan will need to set up accordingly. He's 6'7" and while I don't think he will be a full forward into the future, any man that size takes watching. Hopefully that frees up some space for players raiding forward or for Martin Dunne to pick off a few scores.

Championship has gone off pretty much as expected so far, hopefully we can provide the first shock of the year. Draw at 7/1 looks tempting.

I suppose the thing about leaving Argue inside for periods during the game is how Monaghan will be forced to react. It will be entirely different from Dunne and McDermott being inside and Monaghan will need to set up accordingly. He's 6'7" and while I don't think he will be a full forward into the future, any man that size takes watching. Hopefully that frees up some space for players raiding forward or for Martin Dunne to pick off a few scores.

Championship has gone off pretty much as expected so far, hopefully we can provide the first shock of the year. Draw at 7/1 looks tempting.

Dunne really needs to make a statement on Sunday if he's to remain a member of the panel for me. He has to show he has a desire to get stuck in. There's no point shying out of a game because he gets a few digs and some verbals.

McDermott is good at winning ball. There's no reason the high ball into him wouldn't work. That said, you have to try and draw Monaghan players out the pitch so he's isolated enough.

Unfortunately, we're not going to have much on our bench now that can make an impact and take the game to Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Monaghan have the advantage of playing their football in div one and did very well reaching the semi final, in Conor McManus they have the best forward between the sides but Cavan have the defenders and good defensive system to hold him to a few scores. Monaghan only won by one point in this fixture in Clones two years ago on route to winning Ulster i have a feeling Cavan with home advantage now will nick this game by a point with Gearoid McKiernan,Mackey,Reilly giving commanding performances

Cavan 0-14 Monaghan 1-10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭SheldonC17

Unfortunately, we're not going to have much on our bench now that can make an impact and take the game to Monaghan.[/QUOTE]

Ciaran Brady, Niall Murray and Jack brady are playing well and could make an impact..if the game opened up towards the last 15 Barry reilly would be a decent option. Also think Josh Hayes is a great defendr but he may not be ready for championship after his time out?

If we keep out discipline this weekend, we have a good chance. Also reckon Clarke will play.

• Advertisement
Advertisement