Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Ah, the Maughan Era.

Nope, I have no memory about what happened in those years. All gone thanks to copious amounts of alcohol. Sorry, Lemlin!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Syferus wrote: »
    Ah, the Maughan Era.

Nope, I have no memory about what happened in those years. All gone thanks to copious amounts of alcohol. Sorry, Lemlin!

Bar that semi final, the years from 2006 to 2012 are best forgotten by Cavan supporters also. There wasn't a hell of a lot to remember anyway!

Been having a glance over the Divisions above us.

My expectation would be Donegal and Monaghan to go up to Division 1. Kildare and Westmeath to come down. I'd also expect us and Roscommon to replace Galway/Laois and Louth.

That would leave Division 2 next year looking like:

Kildare
    Westmeath
    Down
    Meath
    Armagh
    Laois/Galway
    Cavan
    Roscommon

Tbh I can't see us fearing any of those sides. Monaghan for example are going well in Division 2 and we comprehensively beat them in the League last year and also ran them to a point in the Championship.

We also comprehensively beat Meath who have acquitted themselves fairly well so far up there.

A potential grudge match with Kildare will be good too. They gave a few of this young panel one of their worst days in football two years ago at that drubbing in Breffni so there's a score there to settle.

Another promising thing is that we beat Derry in Celtic Park in championship last year and they currently sit second in Division 1, having just beaten Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 el_CUERVO

Mackey would have been part of the panel in 07 too. It was also the one and only year Rory Gallagher played with Cavan. Roscommon won 2-13 to 0-14. Cathal Cregg did a lot of damage that day and still is, would be 27 now I think. Roscommon are scoring plenty but equally conceding alot, scored 3-17 against Fermanagh but also conceded 4-10.

Report on the game:

http://m.longfordleader.ie/sport/cavan-exit-league-race-1-1947206

The teams:

Cavan: James Reilly; Martin Cahill (0-1), Anthony Forde (0-1), Michael Hannon; Paul Brady, Eamon O'Reilly, Keith Fannin; Dermot McCabe (0-1, free), Michael Brennan (0-1); Ronan Flanagan (0-1), Mark McKeever, Ray Cullivan (0-1); Sean Johnston (0-3, one free), Rory Gallagher (0-3, all frees), Jason O'Reilly.

Subs: Gerald Pierson for Jason O'Reilly; Jonathan Crowe for Eamon O'Reilly; Micheal Lyng for Gallagher; Larry Reilly (0-2) for Fannin; Ciaran Galligan for Brady.

Roscommon: Geoffrey Claffey; Sean McDermott, Anthony McDermott, Robbie Kelly; Stuart Daly, John Nolan, Richard Dooner; Seamus O'Neill, MIchael Finneran; David Hoey (0-2), Gary Cox (0-3, two frees), Cathal Cregg (1-0); Karol Mannion (0-1), Enda Kenny (0-2), Ger Heneghan (1-4, two frees).

Subs: John Tiernan (0-1) for Gregg; David Keenan for Hoey; Rory O'Connor for O'Neill.

Referee: T Quigley (Dublin)

• Advertisement

el_CUERVO wrote: »
    Mackey would have been part of the panel in 07 too. It was also the one and only year Rory Gallagher played with Cavan. Roscommon won 2-13 to 0-14. Cathal Cregg did a lot of damage that day and still is, would be 27 now I think. Roscommon are scoring plenty but equally conceding alot, scored 3-17 against Fermanagh but also conceded 4-10.

No mention of Mackey above but he first came on for Cavan in 05 vs Mayo so was probably on the panel alright.

Anthony Forde played that day.

Yep, have the match programme from that. Unused sub. Alan Clarke too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Lemlin wrote: »
    Been having a glance over the Divisions above us.

My expectation would be Donegal and Monaghan to go up to Division 1. Kildare and Westmeath to come down. I'd also expect us and Roscommon to replace Galway/Laois and Louth.

That would leave Division 2 next year looking like:

Kildare
    Westmeath
    Down
    Meath
    Armagh
    Laois/Galway
    Cavan
    Roscommon

Tbh I can't see us fearing any of those sides. Monaghan for example are going well in Division 2 and we comprehensively beat them in the League last year and also ran them to a point in the Championship.

We also comprehensively beat Meath who have acquitted themselves fairly well so far up there.

A potential grudge match with Kildare will be good too. They gave a few of this young panel one of their worst days in football two years ago at that drubbing in Breffni so there's a score there to settle.

Another promising thing is that we beat Derry in Celtic Park in championship last year and they currently sit second in Division 1, having just beaten Dublin.

I know Cavan fans don't like to be cocky but trust me you will be grand next year in div 2. Possibly even pushing for promotion. If you were up this year you may well have gone back down so last year could be a blessing in disguise. I would call Cavan to be a force in Ulster this year but Ulster is a minefield for anyone if recent league results are anything to go by so I wouldn't be too confident backing anyone!

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I know Cavan fans don't like to be cocky but trust me you will be grand next year in div 2. Possibly even pushing for promotion. If you were up this year you may well have gone back down so last year could be a blessing in disguise. I would call Cavan to be a force in Ulster this year but Ulster is a minefield for anyone if recent league results are anything to go by so I wouldn't be too confident backing anyone!

The bookies have us ranked 5th in terms of order for the Ulster title. We're 10/1. One loyal supporter I know has chanced his arm with €50 on us already!

The aim has been an Ulster title by 2016 according to the County Board but, as you say, Ulster is an absolute minefield.

Next year, seven of the nine Ulster teams will be in Divisions One and Two. This year six were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Couldn't make tonight but looking good for Cavan

1-9 to Tyrone 0-4. Joe Dillon with goal and Argue with 4 points - 27 mins gone in 2nd half.

• Advertisement

All over 1-11 to 0-6. another fantastic result

Tom Joad wrote: »
    All over 1-11 to 0-6. another fantastic result

I haven't seen a more accomplished performance from a Cavan side at any level.

Tyrone had a strong wind in the first half so we actually did very well in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

It sounded like Tyrone played some awful defensive football with the wind in the 1st half?. I suppose Donegal are Cavan's biggest challenger in Ulster U-21 championship now.

It sounded like Tyrone played some awful defensive football with the wind in the 1st half?. I suppose Donegal are Cavan's biggest challenger in Ulster U-21 championship now.

To be honest I don't think they were good enough to get it out of their own half against us. We've some very experienced lads for this level.

For example, Clarke, McVitty and Argue all played in the All Ireland quarter final vs Kerry last year. Others like Gerard Smith and Dillon already have Ulster minor and U21 medals to their name.

Donegal were good against Fermanagh tonight from what I hear. McBrearty scored 1-7 or something crazy.

That said, I was told Armagh would be the team to beat before the Championship started. There are no easy games in Ulster.

We've Monaghan up next and we needed extra time in Breffni last year to beat them.

To be honest I don't think they were good enough to get it out of their own half against us. We've some very experienced lads for this level.

For example, Clarke, McVitty and Argue all played in the All Ireland quarter final vs Kerry last year. Others like Gerard Smith and Dillon already have Ulster minor and U21 medals to their name.

Donegal were good against Fermanagh tonight from what I hear. McBrearty scored 1-7 or something crazy.

That said, I was told Armagh would be the team to beat before the Championship started. There are no easy games in Ulster.

We've Monaghan up next and we needed extra time in Breffni last year to beat them.

Monaghan are a very good team and have been building well at underage level for a while - probably a bit under the radar compared to Cavan.

Hard to know about Donegal -have got very talented players esp McBrearty but Fermanagh had absolutely nothing so hard to know where Donegal are at.

A lot of people were tipping Armagh to win Ulster so was surprised that they were held last night.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Monaghan are a very good team and have been building well at underage level for a while - probably a bit under the radar compared to Cavan.

Hard to know about Donegal -have got very talented players esp McBrearty but Fermanagh had absolutely nothing so hard to know where Donegal are at.

A lot of people were tipping Armagh to win Ulster so was surprised that they were held last night.

It's always hard to know at this level tbh. There's alot of expectation in regard to Cavan but that is only because we are going for four in a row.

I still think there are alot of good teams left and, as highly as I rate our lads, the Ulster championship won't be easily won.

It's always hard to know at this level tbh. There's alot of expectation in regard to Cavan but that is only because we are going for four in a row.

I still think there are alot of good teams left and, as highly as I rate our lads, the Ulster championship won't be easily won.

Nothing easy in Ulster for sure and Monaghan next are a serious outfit. A lot of the expectation comes from trusting the players and the management to do the right thing at the right time. We have some seriously talented footballers coming through at underage level and there is a great sense of self belief (without being arrogant) around the under 21s which is great to see.

Wouldn't say this is a serious Monaghan outfit myself. They were poor in the Shamrock Cup andby all accounts weren't that impressive against Down. They had a good Minor team last year doesn't mean this year's u21 team will be as good, a 2 year gap.

Would expect a close game though

Wouldn't say this is a serious Monaghan outfit myself. They were poor in the Shamrock Cup andby all accounts weren't that impressive against Down. They had a good Minor team last year doesn't mean this year's u21 team will be as good, a 2 year gap.

Maybe I'm listening too much to the Monaghan lads I work with so :D. They had a good under 21 team last year and seem to be doing good work at underage level. Didn't hear too much about their performance last night though.

Have they many of last year's team? They gave us a good scare in Breffni.

In fairness to cups like The Shamrock Cup, I'd see it as similar to the Hastings Cup. People could say Cavan weren't impressive in that yet we didn't field near a full strength side. In fact, alot of the players who featured in it aren't even making matchday squads now.

• Advertisement

Yeah they gave us a right scare alright,to be honest i thought Cavan were the better side over the 60 minutes. Paul O Connor missed a great goal chance in second half of normal time when Cavan were on top, in extra time Cavan eased though

this was last years Monaghan side 2013 v Cavan

Monaghan - R Beggan (0-1f); R Wylie, C Boyle, P McGuigan; C Cromwell, J McGuigan, P McKenna; S Sherry, P Dooney; T Connolly (0-1), S Carey (0-4f), S O'Brien; T Kerr (0-1), K McEnaney (0-1), D McKenna (0-1). Subs: B McQuaid for Cromwell, J McCarron (1-2, 0-2f) for O'Brien, L Hahessy, C McKenna (0-1) for D McKenna.

2014 v Down
    Monaghan - D Kirk; R Wylie, C Boyle, D Courtney; P Keenan, J McGuigan, S Conlon; M Boyce, B Greenan; K Cromwell, C McKenna (1-4, 0-4f), T Kerr (0-4f); M McGurk, P McKenna (0-2), F McMahon (0-2). Subs: J Murphy for R Wylie (BC), D Ward for F McMahon, S Buckley for M Boyce, R McEnaney for S Conlon, D Freeman for M McGurk, F Malone for D Courtney.

Think thats players from last year

Is that game in two weeks lads?

Yep, Enniskillen would be the likely venue. A place that a lot of these lads know well at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Monaghan up next will be seriously tough. They gave us by far the toughest test we had last year and we were lucky to come out of Breffni with a win. Our strength on the bench won that game for us in extra time. I expect no different from them this year and we won't have home advantage on our side. We're going well and we won't be easy to break down no doubt about that but it's Championship football so no room for error we need to keep hitting the heights if we're going to progress.

Argue looking to be our main man this year, he'll be targeted from here on in.

In fairness you can't really go by last years game, as Monaghan only have 5 or 6 from last years panel now.

Also Enniskillen is like a second home for the Cavan at U21. Big number would have been involved last year.

Both teams will be fired up of of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭benjy1000

Cavan v Roscommon

Any word on injuries for saturday night? I wonder will it be a game for the fringe players and rest the likes of mackey,martin reilly,mcenroe or will Terry play his strongest 15 for the last 2 games? With Givney and Declan McK gone from the the panel now and Argue still with the 21's these games are a great chance for the likes of Mooney and Mossy Corr to cement a place alongside Gearoid for the Armagh game and beyound hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

benjy1000 wrote: »
    Cavan v Roscommon

Any word on injuries for saturday night? I wonder will it be a game for the fringe players and rest the likes of mackey,martin reilly,mcenroe or will Terry play his strongest 15 for the last 2 games? With Givney and Declan McK gone from the the panel now and Argue still with the 21's these games are a great chance for the likes of Mooney and Mossy Corr to cement a place alongside Gearoid for the Armagh game and beyound hopefully.

Source ??? if there is any

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

manutd wrote: »
    Source ??? if there is any

I second that, last I heard Givney missed a game (Sligo I think) due to concussion. Never heard anything re him leaving the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Heard that myself, discipline issue apparently. Not confirmed though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

I second that, last I heard Givney missed a game (Sligo I think) due to concussion. Never heard anything re him leaving the panel

Heard a story but didn't hear anything more in the last week. If true he wouldn't have left he would have been booted out.

Advertisement