Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭benjy1000

They were both told to leave the panel by Hyland for quite a serious discipline issue, I heard this over weekend I assumed it was common enough knowledge but there is a bit on the hoganstand cavan forum about it. It was a panel member who told me. So he is my source if you wish to call it that. I would rather discuss the game and focus on the players that are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

celt262 wrote: »
    Heard a story but didn't hear anything more in the last week. If true he wouldn't have left he would have been booted out.

Did it involve him and the Wednesday night two a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

manutd wrote: »
    Did it involve him and the Wednesday night two a few weeks ago.

Not sure what actual night it was but it was a few nights before Sligo game. I heard about it down in longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I heard there were problems but I wasn't aware he was gone from the panel. It's a great shame if he is and I'd be surprised if he is tbh. He's very good friends with a few of the panel including Keating.

Speaking of which, I hear Keating won't be chanced against Roscommon. They're going to let him rest the hamstring further.

Lemlin wrote: »
    I heard there were problems but I wasn't aware he was gone from the panel. It's a great shame if he is and I'd be surprised if he is tbh. He's very good friends with a few of the panel including Keating.

Speaking of which, I hear Keating won't be chanced against Roscommon. They're going to let him rest the hamstring further.

If you knew what the problem was i don't think you would be surprised.

"Alleged Problem"

• Advertisement

If you knew what the problem was i don't think you would be surprised.

"Alleged Problem"

I do know what the alleged problem is but everyone makes mistakes. These lads are only young.

It's certainly news to me that he's suddenly off the panel and I'd ask why now when this happened weeks ago?

A number of people over on the Hogan Stand, which is full of wafflers, now stating the rumours aren't true.

I was talking to a very talented 21 year old player who quit football the other day. Just walked away from it. He said the commitment was too much and he stopped enjoying it.

They weren't from Cavan I might just add. Former minor and U21 for their own county though. Also involved with senior panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 el_CUERVO

There has never been any trouble with Givney in the past. Whats the alleged problem?

I do know what the alleged problem is but everyone makes mistakes. These lads are only young.

I don't agree with that one of them was involved with summer camps for kids last year and is a role model to youngster all over the county, this is no good if true. They are not that young either.

As you say though it may not be true so maybe we shouldn't be talking about it.

I don't agree with that one of them was involved with summer camps for kids last year and is a role model to youngster all over the county, this is no good if true. They are not that young either.

As you say though it may not be true so maybe we shouldn't be talking about it.

That's a very old fashioned view to be honest. Plenty of 25 year olds make mistakes.

As for being a "role model", these lads get plenty of benefits but they aren't paid for their commitment.

And you're right, we shouldn't be discussing what are idle rumours at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

We will know on Saturday Id say. Can see Terry giving a few squad members a game, and if Givney is still in the squad and fit Im sure he will be involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Buncha Fives

From what I heard (from a reliable source) both Givney and Keating have been suspended from the panel for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭benjy1000

Buncha Fives

From what date? Was keating not playing in Longford? A month from before the Sligo game would have them back for the Limerick game on Sunday week but they wont be playing on Saturday so, i assume DmcK is in this gang also?

Lucky to be let back play at all, IMO. Id say the rest of the players put pressure on terry not to kick them off altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Buncha Fives

benjy1000 wrote: »
    Buncha Fives

From what date? Was keating not playing in Longford? A month from before the Sligo game would have them back for the Limerick game on Sunday week but they wont be playing on Saturday so, i assume DmcK is in this gang also?

Lucky to be let back play at all, IMO. Id say the rest of the players put pressure on terry not to kick them off altogether.

To be honest I don't know the ins and outs of it and the exact details of the suspension but from what I heard they are lucky to get a second chance at all. I hope for the sake of Cavan that Hyland holds a strong line with lads that break rules etc., Cavan football is on the crest of a wave because of its underage success, but all it takes is a couple of lads to sink the ship...I have seen it at club level and county level, if players are not willing to abide by the rules then its better to cut your losses sooner rather than later because eventually they will cost you dearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Are you sure Keating is involved? From what I heard it was just McKiernan and Givney. I wouldn't be particularly worried about losing Givney or McKiernan but we don't have a replacement for Keating, even if he does blow very hot and cold.

This needs to be handled correctly by the management. There's no element of discipline in losing out on two dead rubber fixtures and walking back onto the team for the League Final in Croke Park. Terry has taken a hard line with Keating in the past, among others, I have faith that he'll handle it properly again with whoever is involved.

Keating is not involved in anything at all. He was running up and down the line in the Sligo game. He was named to start against Longford but it was announced he had flu.

I didn't expect him to be involved because, as I said, I was told he was at least 2-3 weeks from being ready.

I've also been told he won't be chanced this weekend.

Tbh alot of what is being said here is idle speculation. It's amazing that there are more posts and new posters about this bull than our recent good results in the League.

Not to mention our U21s hammering Tyrone last week.

From what I heard (from a reliable source) both Givney and Keating have been suspended from the panel for a month.

Exactly what I hate about posters on forums like this. So your "reliable source" couldn't even get the right 2 panel members in his story?

There is no story anyway. Both McKiernan and Givney were at training last night.

Givney was given two weeks off from games as he suffered a bad concussion at training.

Anyone who knows about football in the county knows Terry had rubbed up a few the wrong way, more jealousy than anything for me, and this appears to be more rumours built to unsettle the great panel we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Hope none of the rumours are true we need every player available and need to support them not lambaste them as keyboard warriors . We have a chance for the 1st time in my lifetime of lifting silverware in croke park in just a months time.
    Lets not forget these lads are amateur players albeit very committed amateurs and none of our childhood heroes wore halos off the field

#cavan4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Can't believe some of the crap that is being posted here - mostly of course by people who don't normally post here and with a friend on the panel :rolleyes: and are no supporters of Cavan GAA.

Why don't people get behind the team and recognise the enormous commitment that they put in and don't be listening to the begruders and the anti-Terry Hyland brigade where I suspect most of this crap is eminating from.

I wonder how many of the nay-sayers and keyboard warriors will be in Breffni Saturday evening or in Brewster the following Wednesday getting behind the team?

Why don't some of the hardmen keyboard warriors say what they have to say to the players in question rather than hiding behind a keyboard spouting crap. They are not the most inaccesible lads in fairness!

As Lemlin said in an earlier post - it's no wonder so many walk away from GAA.

I've said my bit now lets move on from this crap and focus on the league final and the under 21s.

Givney will start on Sat I reckon

Can anyone confirm that it is all a total bullsh1t story and is nothing to be bothered about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Armagh next Wednesday night for the U-21s. Really looking forward to it. Not our usual hunting ground. The game against Tyrone in the McKenna cup will certainly help a few of the lads acclimatise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Armagh next Wednesday night for the U-21s. Really looking forward to it. Not our usual hunting ground. The game against Tyrone in the McKenna cup will certainly help a few of the lads acclimatise.

Any idea why it's Armagh now and not Brewster as was the original plan?

Curious from a purely selfish point of view as Brewster is an easy spin up the road for me but Armagh is a right pain in the end to get to after a day's work (plus have to go deep into enemy country to get there :D).

Can anyone confirm that it is all a total bullsh1t story and is nothing to be bothered about.

I dont think anyone can to be honest. I know players on the panel but I cant be arsed asking them. Go to the game on Sat nite and see whos involved. Mackey is injured btw, (a niggle that doesnt need to be risked, its info I was told rather than asked for) before the conspiracy theorists say hes dropped when he doesnt line up on Saturday.

I dont think anyone can to be honest. I know players on the panel but I cant be arsed asking them. Go to the game on Sat nite and see whos involved. Mackey is injured btw, (a niggle that doesnt need to be risked, its info I was told rather than asked for) before the conspiracy theorists say hes dropped when he doesnt line up on Saturday.

I'd hope to see a team with players who have had limited playing time - Barkey, Tinnelly, Mooney, David Hyland, Niall Smith, Maloney Dernham, Conroy, Mossy Corr, Niall Murray, Leddy and McLoughlin for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

If the story is total bull**** then it is surely annoying for the lads involved, they put in serious effort to be fair to them.

We should be going all out to win on Saturday as usual. Nothing breeds confidence like an unbeaten streak. And we haven't beaten Roscommon in a few years now. It's our first chance to test ourselves against a potent attack in this year's League. Certainly don't take any big risks but put out as strong a side as we can and see how we get on. Empty the bench too. I'm looking forward to it.

If the story is total bull**** then it is surely annoying for the lads involved, they put in serious effort to be fair to them.

We should be going all out to win on Saturday as usual. Nothing breeds confidence like an unbeaten streak. And we haven't beaten Roscommon in a few years now. It's our first chance to test ourselves against a potent attack in this year's League. Certainly don't take any big risks but put out as strong a side as we can and see how we get on. Empty the bench too. I'm looking forward to it.

I agree re confidence but we're working off a 45 man panel. From what I've been told, the lads in the squad who haven't had a chance were told they'd be given it if "things were going well" towards the end of the league. Whether that meant against Roscommon or perhaps in Limerick which, let's be honest, is an easier game, remains to be seen.

I do think we need to see how these lads will compete in a competitive game. Christopher Conroy for example. Man of the match in the U21 Ulster final last year. Has played for the juniors and U21s for the past two years.

He needs to be given a chance now in a competitive game to see how he gets on.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Team named for Saturday nights match against Roscommon

1 Conor Gilsenan Conchur Mac Giolla Seanáin Seamróga Choill an Chollaigh Bailieborough
    2 Joshua Hayes Joshua Ó hAodha An Muinchille Cootehill
    3 Rory Dunne Ruarí Ó Duinn Cnoc Rua Redhills
    4 Feargal Flanagan Fearghal Ó Flannagain Droichead an Bhuitlearaigh Butlersbridge
    5 Killian Brady Cillain MacBradaigh Mullach Odhrainn Mullahoran
    6 Alan Clarke Alún Ó Cleirigh Dún-A-Rí Kingscourt
    7 Damien O Reilly Damien Ó Raghallaigh Béal Tairbirt Belturbet
    8 Packie Leddy Padraigh Ó Lídi Cnoc Rua Redhills
    9 Gearoid McKiernan Gearóid MacTiarnann Muilleann Iarann Swanlinbar
    10 Christopher Conroy Críostóir Ó’Conraoi An Leamhí Lavey
    11 Niall McDermott Niall Mac Dhiarmada Béal Átha na nEach Ballinagh
    12 Martin Reilly Mairtín Ó Raghallaigh Coill na Gearraí Killygary
    13 Kevin Tierney Caoimhín Mac Tiarnaigh Beal átha hÉis Ballyhaise
    14 Martin Dunne Martin Ó Doinn Gael An Cabhán Cavan Gaels
    15 Eugene Keating Eoghann Ó Ciiteann Naomh Sylvesters St. Sylvesters
    16 Alan O’Mara Alún Ó Meára Naomh Oilibhéar Pluincéad St. Oliver Plunkets
    17 Damien Barkey Damien Ó Barcaigh Reamor Aontainthe Ramor United
    18 Paul O’Connor Pól Ó Conchuir Gael An Cabhán Cavan Gaels
    19 Michael Lyng Micheal O Loinn Gael An Cabhán Cavan Gaels
    20 Philip Tinnely Pilib Mac an tSionnaigh Dún-A-Rí Kingscourt
    21 Mark McKeever Marcus Mac Íomhair Loch Gamhna Gowna
    22 Robert Maloney Derham Roibeard Ó Maolomhnaighh/Deirm Gael An Cabhán Cavan Gaels
    23 Turloc Mooney Turloc Ó Maonaigh Cnoc Rua Redhills
    24 Niall Murray Niall Ó Muirí Gael An Cabhán Cavan Gaels
    25 David Givney Dáithí Ó Dhuibhne Droichead Uí Dhalaigh Mountnugent
    26 Tomas Corr Tomás Ó Córra An Dinn Denn

http://cavangaa.ie/team-named-allianz-nfl-div-3-rd-6-table-top-clash/

1 Conor Gilsenan
    2 Joshua Hayes
    3 Rory Dunne
    4 Feargal Flanagan
    5 Killian Brady
    6 Alan Clarke
    7 Damien O Reilly
    8 Packie Leddy
    9 Gearoid McKiernan
    10 Christopher Conroy
    11 Niall McDermott
    12 Martin Reilly
    13 Kevin Tierney
    14 Martin Dunne
    15 Eugene Keating

16 Alan O’Mara
    17 Damien Barkey
    18 Paul O’Connor
    19 Michael Lyng
    20 Philip Tinnely
    21 Mark McKeever
    22 Robert Maloney Derham
    23 Turloc Mooney
    24 Niall Murray
    25 David Givney
    26 Tomas Corr

Hopefully Givney being named in the panel will end the stupid rumours about him being kicked off the panel.

Good to see Leddy and Conroy given their chance too.

I don't expect Keating to start. He was also named for the Longford game and didn't start. I was told earlier in the week he would still be rested.

It would actually be nice to see Paul O'Connor get a run at this level.

• Advertisement

I don't expect Keating to start. He was also named for the Longford game and didn't start. I was told earlier in the week he would still be rested.

He might need a game at this stage he hasn't had one in a few weeks so i don't think he needs a rest.

Advertisement