Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

talking about the league final, its (loooong overdue) details been confirmed.
    26.04.2014 (Sat)
    Allianz Football League Roinn 3
    Final
    Páirc an Chrócaigh 19:00 An Cabhán v Ros Comáin TG4
    Referee: TBC
    (E.T. if Necessary)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

talking about the league final, its (loooong overdue) details been confirmed.

Is Division 3 between Clare and Tipp at 5 then?

Lemlin wrote: »
    Is Division 3 between Clare and Tipp at 5 then?

yup,
    Allianz Football League Roinn 4
    Final
    Páirc an Chrócaigh 17:00 Tiobraid Árann v An Clár TG4
    Referee: TBC
    (E.T. if Necessary)
    and the div 1 and div 2 (Monaghan v Donegal) finals at 4pm and 2pm rspectively the day after.

I'm exceptionally peeved that it took THIS long for the fixture to be announced, but might just pay the 200 odd for the flight especially with the div 2 game being more than interesting the next day, and a Div 1 game that no doubt will be something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

yup,

I'm exceptionally peeved that it took THIS long for the fixture to be announced, but might just pay the 200 odd for the flight especially with the div 2 game being more than interesting the next day, and a Div 1 game that no doubt will be something similar.

You should have asked the finals were always going to be played that weekend they were penciled in for that date before the league started.

celt262 wrote: »
    You should have asked the finals were always going to be played that weekend they were penciled in for that date before the league started.
    Yes, and the u21 final which was fixed for a Saturday was moved to a Sunday a couple of years back.
    If the game is on Saturday then certain flights work, if on a Sunday other fights work. And if it's fixed a half dozen miles from Dublin airport it's a different logistal feat than a game fixed in say castlebar.
    Either way, till the game is fixed for a date time and place, the fixtures dept are still liable to take a notion to do as they please.

I'm actually surprised that tipp v Clare is going ahead in croker before the cavan game, as an example of something that could easily have been fixed in Limerick instead.

• Advertisement

yup,

and the div 1 and div 2 (Monaghan v Donegal) finals at 4pm and 2pm rspectively the day after.

Come home for a week and, hopefully, you might be able to catch the U21s the week before vs Dublin.

That's if they beat Donegal and its a huge IF.

Big game for the U21s tonight vs Donegal. They were the last team to beat us in Ulster in the 2010 final.

Hopefully the lads can do the four in a row and set up a clash with the Dubs on April 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

Big game for the U21s tonight vs Donegal. They were the last team to beat us in Ulster in the 2010 final.

Hopefully the lads can do the four in a row and set up a clash with the Dubs on April 19th.

Looking forward to this. I think last years game has a whole lot more relevance than the 2010 edition given there are a number of players involved in both encounters.
    I haven't seen this Donegal team play at all so I won't make any predictions. I do worry about the lack of firepower on the Cavan side. It will need to be another triumph for the collective whole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Best of luck to the under 21's tonight

4 in a row will be no easy task against a donegal team out for revenge for last year , i hope not too much emphasis is put on their key players that distracts them from the rest of their forward line,

i wont make it to the game but i'm wondering does any one know is it being streamed by armaghgaa like most games in athletic grounds ?

still think the choice of the athletic grounds is very unfair to both sets of supporters

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Best of luck to the under 21's tonight

4 in a row will be no easy task against a donegal team out for revenge for last year , i hope not too much emphasis is put on their key players that distracts them from the rest of their forward line,

i wont make it to the game but i'm wondering does any one know is it being streamed by armaghgaa like most games in athletic grounds ?

still think the choice of the athletic grounds is very unfair to both sets of supporters

I heard a rumour that Monaghan objected to the semi final being in Brewster. Not sure how true it is. In fairness, our U21s have played in Brewster more than any other ground over the past few years, including Breffni.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Getting ready to head for Armagh shortly. Venue choice makes no sense for either county but hopefully the lads will do it tonight. 4 in a row would be some achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hope Cavan win tonight.
    The semi-final was never fixed for Brewster Park. It was only fixed for Armagh.

Hope Cavan win tonight.
    The semi-final was never fixed for Brewster Park. It was only fixed for Armagh.

Yes but I heard that was because Monaghan put in an objection to playing Cavan in Brewster before the venue was even set.

Yes but I heard that was because Monaghan put in an objection to playing Cavan in Brewster before the venue was even set.

Maybe so but I heard Brewster was very wet.
    Can't understand tonight's game being in Armagh either.

Well done Cavan.
    My Kingscourt friends will be buying the pints on Friday night.
    Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

wow wow wow wow

nails gone

saints cursed

wife insulted

all in 58 mins then .......

nails left alone

apologies to saints

apologies to wife

what a win listened to it on northern sound fair play to micky and damien great commentary

didnt seem like a great game , moynagh getting a black card had a big bearing on cavans performance

what a comeback , it shows that these lads are made of steel and dont fear anyone

its a proud proud night for cavan men

4 in a row 4 in a row sing it loud and sing it proud

ok sorry if i'm still running on adrenaline

#cavan4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Incredible stuff, absolutely thrilled. Fair dues to every one of them lads, that took balls. Extremely proud coming away from that game. I'm shattered!!'

Unbelievable game. 1 point in 29 minutes and then 1-2 in 4 minutes!

It shows the quality of these lads though. We were the better team throughout. They never have up.

Anyone know why Moynagh got the black card? I didn't see and read back over the Celt blog and Moe Fitzpatrick said its one of the worst decisions he has seen in years,

Some tweets:

@barrycahilldub: Great win for Cavan U21s tonight. Sets up tasty All-Ireland semi-final with Dublin! #GAA

@Squarecut84 (aka Joe Sheridan Meath): Incredible achievement by Cavan again tonight, it just shows investing in your underage system that your senior team will reap the rewards

@DavidGivney: That was a night when you can be proud to be from cavan. Intense stuff. #4inarow

Unbelievable game. 1 point in 29 minutes and then 1-2 in 4 minutes!

It shows the quality of these lads though. We were the better team throughout. They never have up.

Anyone know why Moynagh got the black card? I didn't see and read back over the Celt blog and Moe Fitzpatrick said its one of the worst decisions he has seen in years,

The black card incident happened right infront of me.
    Donegal player came into hit moynagh who rolled him and dragged him to the ground. A second donegal player then came in and shoved moynagh to the ground on the flat of his back.

By the letter off the law the ref is probably correct in that moynagh dragged the opponent to the ground while I think in the spirit of the game it was an awful decision, made worse by his refusal to punish the donegal man for what was a far worse act of aggression

• Advertisement

Just back in and still amazed by what I witnessed - unreal stuff 1-3 in the last 5 mins :eek:. This team are never beat and always had faith in each other and the system. Ref was shocking bad - he missed so much and responded to who shouted the loudest - but he was bad for both sides and showed no consistency. Some goal by Buchanan - showed great leadership to take it on. Seriously impressed by young Dillon - reminds me of Fintan Cahill in his prime with his eye for goal and roasted his marker (s) all evening.

Good Donegal team too that gave nothing easy. Amazing speech by Conor Moynagh too - was blown away by it a bit to be honest and shows what an amazing set of young lads we have and the pride they have in the jersey.

Will need a serious improvement to trouble Dublin and really need to be taking better decisions in front of goals and show more composure but that's for tomorrow.

Four in a row - never thought I'd see the day :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Congratulations to Cavan. A fairly amazing finale. Four in a row is some achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Was particularly delighted for Gallagher on the line, mouth piece.

I'm just in the door from Armagh, the adrenalin is still coarsing through my veins. I am still trying to make sense of what happened out there on that pitch. Ultimately what we have here is a team when at the moment of absolute adversity they refused to lie down, they refused to quit, they somehow managed to summon the energy, the heart, the god damn balls to go back to the mill and turn the game on its head.

Over the hour I think we deserved it although if donegal had have closed the game out we would have had no complaints. Our shooting was atrocious once more. We clearly lack a couple of forwards, at least one which can win the ball inside turn and shoot, another who can run from deep and shoot on the run and finally another who can shoot with the left foot. We created more than enough chances to win this game a couple of times over, we either kicked wide (badly most of the time) or refused to kick for scores at all. We won the midfield battle, Liam Buchannan was terrific for the most part, he brought an energy and desire to the battle which Argue is still missing.
    Our defenders and defensive system for the most part worked, we restricted Donegal to 8 scores and Paddy McBrearty of whom there was alot of hype before the game was nullified bar a couple of moments.

I was going to get into the negatives of the performance but screw that, maybe tomorrow, For the moment I am going to crack open a beer here and toast to the 4 times in a row ulster champions. #thebluesareonfire

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Congratulations to Cavan. A fairly amazing finale. Four in a row is some achievement.

Cheers - hard not to feel sorry for ye boys - thought ye had it won to be honest and would have been hard to begrudge ye over the 60 minutes but we have a very special bunch of lads in Cavan that don't know when they are bet. If we had a Mc Brearty in our ranks we'd be unstoppable.

There was a lad from Donegal sitting beside me who was getting worked up with Donegal going across the field in the middle of the park because Cavan were so well organised - he was giving out about been beaten by a game Donegal had invented and not been able to break down the Donegal style Cavan were using. Thought it was an interesting insight into how Cavan had adopted and adapted the Donegal system to suit Cavan.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Just back in and still amazed by what I witnessed - unreal stuff 1-3 in the last 5 mins :eek:. This team are never beat and always had faith in each other and the system. Ref was shocking bad - he missed so much and responded to who shouted the loudest - but he was bad for both sides and showed no consistency. Some goal by Buchanan - showed great leadership to take it on. Seriously impressed by young Dillon - reminds me of Fintan Cahill in his prime with his eye for goal and roasted his marker (s) all evening.

Good Donegal team too that gave nothing easy. Amazing speech by Conor Moynagh too - was blown away by it a bit to be honest and shows what an amazing set of young lads we have and the pride they have in the jersey.

Will need a serious improvement to trouble Dublin and really need to be taking better decisions in front of goals and show more composure but that's for tomorrow.

Four in a row - never thought I'd see the day :D:D

+1 on the speech - wonderful moment

willabur wrote: »
    The black card incident happened right infront of me.
    Donegal player came into hit moynagh who rolled him and dragged him to the ground. A second donegal player then came in and shoved moynagh to the ground on the flat of his back.

By the letter off the law the ref is probably correct in that moynagh dragged the opponent to the ground while I think in the spirit of the game it was an awful decision, made worse by his refusal to punish the donegal man for what was a far worse act of aggression

Losing our playmaker certainly greatly effected us in the second half. I feel Moynagh would have had a cool head and took the ball and settled things down in the second half when some were panicking.

I thought Clarke did a great job on McBrearty. One point from play is all he got.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Very fair assessments there willabur and Tom Joad. Enjoy the celebrations, not sure what I saw tonight will take ye much further, but woe betide anyone who takes ye for granted!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Heard yere amazing win,superb win 4 in a row.
    Well done.Hope we meet ye in the final.
    Shall shout for cavan in portlaoise 19th at 4.45 after our game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

Unbelievable stuff in Armagh tonight...I don't even remember the journey back to Dublin! (it felt like it only took 15 mins!) What a team...what a comeback...unbelievable stuff!
    As a person who has been going to 90% of Cavan matches, for 35ish years now (ok...being brought, for the first few years!) it is an incredible feeling to have won our fourth Ulster title on the trot, especially in such a dramatic way. To say that the atmosphere was electric, is the understatement of the decade, and I havn't experienced the likes of it in a long long time!
    When Michael got the 'insurance' point, after Liam's goal, I nearly burst out crying (or so my Mrs. beside me said anyway!) such was the raw emotion. We've been through some tough times over the years folks, and many of us have stuck with it, through thin and thinner, but over the last while, it has been great to finally hold the head high, and be proud of the lads...they are a credit to the county!
    I have always worn the blue jersey with pride, no matter what the circumstances. Whether it was on the train back from a drubbing in Cork, soaked to the skin on the terrace in Aughrim, or watching Kildare (and one of our own) wallop us in our back garden, the colours were on show for all to see nonetheless. What's different now, is that it is with an extra pep in our step we throw on the auld Kingspan top, and head out the door!
    For years we bemoaned a lack of direction, and betimes effort, but we now have that in spades! Gone are the days when we bowed over to any and everyone without as much as a whimper. Gone are the days when players rolled up to Casement in a car, bleary eyed, and asked the likes of me how they'd get in! Gone are those days, and good riddance...may we never see them again.
    Keep up the good work lads...we're behind ye all the way.
    To rehash something I posted on a different site around ten years ago, but which has taken until now to bear fruit...the future is indeed blue! An Cabhan Abu!

Advertisement