Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

I have seen cootehill play at least 5 times in the last two years and have never seen hessin take a free mccutheon and Mullen take them.

He did well last night and made a impact in the closing stages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Lemlin wrote: »
    I think the bulk of those have been dropped from the panel. I can't confirm them all but certainly Barry Reilly, Barry Watters, Stephen Jordan and Niall McKiernan.

Brendan Bud Fitzpatrick is abroad AFAIK. Patrick Carroll was abroad but I think he's back now.

I'd expect some of those lads may feature in the junior team during the Summer.

Yeah I'd say you're fairly close with that Lemlin - to be fair all them boys have got a good crack off the whip and you would expect a fall off of lads from under 21 to senior for various reasons. For instance Barry Reilly was at one time tipped to go to Australia got a bad injury playing for Ballyhaise College but he never really went on to the next level that his talent pointed to. A damn good free taker for Kingscourt though and comes from good footballing pedigree so maybe he might come back into it but he's very light for senior football. The rest on that list are either travelling, can't commit or not fancied by management. Podge Reilly is the one though that has me scratching my head - very good captain and leader on the pitch for both club and county but not near the panel anymore. His brother is a fine footballer too btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Yeah I'd say you're fairly close with that Lemlin - to be fair all them boys have got a good crack off the whip and you would expect a fall off of lads from under 21 to senior for various reasons. For instance Barry Reilly was at one time tipped to go to Australia got a bad injury playing for Ballyhaise College but he never really went on to the next level that his talent pointed to. A damn good free taker for Kingscourt though and comes from good footballing pedigree so maybe he might come back into it but he's very light for senior football. The rest on that list are either travelling, can't commit or not fancied by management. Podge Reilly is the one though that has me scratching my head - very good captain and leader on the pitch for both club and county but not near the panel anymore. His brother is a fine footballer too btw.

I believe Padraig is very busy with work. He works as an accountant for a large sports firm AFAIK and does alot of travelling. I always rated him myself but I've heard alot of people say that he was too slow for intercounty football.

I do know that a few like him and Dermot Sheridan were still around the panel last year but I'm not sure if they have any role now.

It's a pity about Barry but, as you say, he got plenty of opportunities. I've seen him play alot for Kingscourt and I never particularly rated him highly. He played in the league last year for a couple of games and put in good performances. He got a run then with the juniors last year and was largely anonymous in the games so was let go from the panel.

I think most looking to break into the panel now have to do so through the juniors unless they are a very good talent e.g. Argue or McVeety. The likes of Packie Leddy, Conroy, even Martin Dunne, all did stints with the juniors before going into the seniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Hession wouldn't strike me as a free taker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Hession wouldn't strike me as a free taker.
    Maybe I'm wrong but I saw him taking a couple of penalties in the 2012 Intermediate final and he was cool at them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

To be honest, I'd expect Keating to fill that void. He's one of the best forwards in the country on his day, shown by his recent dsplay for Ulster in the Railway Cup, but he's still too inconsistent at present.

I also have great hopes for Jack Brady. Alot of people expect him to be another play maker because he played that role with the U21s but we already have Mackey, Martin Reilly, McVeety, Lyng and others who can fill that void. I'd like to see Jack start in the full forward line and stay there. He's playing there for Ramor at senior since he was 16 or 17 and scoring regularly.

Keating is very very greedy, and the only player that I can recall over the last 15 years that was good enough to be as greedy as they were was Padraig Joyce. The likes of Gooch/Brogan etc bring others into the game when shots arent on or players are in better positions.....Keating just shoots. One from 5 against Roscommon.....i was counting because a mouth beside me was raving about him after he kicked his first point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

Keating is very very greedy, and the only player that I can recall over the last 15 years that was good enough to be as greedy as they were was Padraig Joyce. The likes of Gooch/Brogan etc bring others into the game when shots arent on or players are in better positions.....Keating just shoots. One from 5 against Roscommon.....i was counting because a mouth beside me was raving about him after he kicked his first point

You have probably seen him play more than I have but last summer against Armagh he played a huge roll in alot of Dunnes 9 points. Either providing the pass having won primary possession or making space with a good run. Both characteristics an antethisis of what you have described above

willabur wrote: »
    You have probably seen him play more than I have but last summer against Armagh he played a huge roll in alot of Dunnes 9 points. Either providing the pass having won primary possession or making space with a good run. Both characteristics an antethisis of what you have described above

Im not saying hes a bad footballer....im saying hes greedy when he has the ball. He works hard, and makes intelligent runs but when he gets it hes relucatnt to pass it. Its great when it comes off eg Fermanangh in Brewster last year, but shocking when he has a bad day. Better game management....makiing use of runners is essential if this Cavan team are to kick on, and IMO, the likes of Dunne and Keating have to make better decisions in attacking areas

Im not saying hes a bad footballer....im saying hes greedy when he has the ball. He works hard, and makes intelligent runs but when he gets it hes relucatnt to pass it. Its great when it comes off eg Fermanangh in Brewster last year, but shocking when he has a bad day. Better game management....makiing use of runners is essential if this Cavan team are to kick on, and IMO, the likes of Dunne and Keating have to make better decisions in attacking areas

Any good forward is greedy but I don't think Keating is notably so. As pointed out above, he played a huge role in Dunne's performances last year. A man who works with me has been to every Cavan league game this year and he commented that in the league, in his opinion, there's no point playing Dunne without Keating.

Dunne won't win ball. Keating will. My own reading of the Roscommon game is that he was a bit over eager after missing the last few games. You are correct in that he can take some dreadful air shots at times but he's still the best forward we have and it certainly doesn't look like there's anyone coming through from the U21s to match him.

Any good forward is greedy but I don't think Keating is notably so. As pointed out above, he played a huge role in Dunne's performances last year. A man who works with me has been to every Cavan league game this year and he commented that in the league, in his opinion, there's no point playing Dunne without Keating.

Dunne won't win ball. Keating will. My own reading of the Roscommon game is that he was a bit over eager after missing the last few games. You are correct in that he can take some dreadful air shots at times but he's still the best forward we have and it certainly doesn't look like there's anyone coming through from the U21s to match him.

Dunne wont win ball against physical opposition. Compare Monaghan and Armagh last year. He won enough ball to kick away 1-7 v Longford, and he missed a lot against Wexford, (my thoughts on both days, especially Longford was just pass the ball, when everyone else was shouting for him to be taken off)......Was at both games, he was out in front winning everything, and wasting it.

Compare these two, to Mackey. He has played a lot of football inside at underage level, and always seems to make the right decision. He can make the play and get scores. Dunne and Keating are 23/24 and need to up their game in terms of decision making. There is always players making runs and they are not used often enough by the inside men. It would be a lot different if they were left isolated, but thats not the case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Here is a bit of a statistical anomaly, at least to me. Cavan won all 7 games in Division 3 but no Cavan player figures in the top 9 scorers in the Division.

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=185112

Division 3
    Sean McCormack, Longford 2-35 (41)
    Adrian Marren, Sligo 0-35 (35)
    Ian Ryan, Limerick 1-26 (29)
    Cathal Cregg, Roscommon 3-20 (29)
    Donie Shine, Roscommon 0-28 (28)
    Sean Quigley, Fermanagh 3-18 (27)
    Tomas Corrigan, Fermanagh 0-27 (27)
    Niall McNamee, Offaly 0-25 (25)
    Mark Breheny, Sligo 1-22 (25)

Cavan had by far the best defensive record in any Division, conceding only 1-67. Only one goal against in 7 games if pretty impressive. But we only scored 4-89 (101) whereas Roscommon scored the equivalent of 133 points. Three teams in other divisions scored 14 goals each.

Seeing as Martin Dunne was the second highest scorer in last years championship, either we had some very off days in front of goal or the team has gone even more defensive.

Here is a bit of a statistical anomaly, at least to me. Cavan won all 7 games in Division 3 but no Cavan player figures in the top 9 scorers in the Division.

Division 3

Cavan had by far the best defensive record in any Division, conceding only 1-67. Only one goal against in 7 games if pretty impressive. But we only scored 4-89 (101) whereas Roscommon scored the equivalent of 133 points. Three teams in other divisions scored 14 goals each.

Seeing as Martin Dunne was the second highest scorer in last years championship, either we had some very off days in front of goal or the team has gone even more defensive.

We played 7 games in last year's championship so played quite a few more than most other teams.

In terms of the league, Dunne didn't feature in the Fermanagh or Limerick games (in Limerick only on for the last few minutes). I can't even remember if he featured in all of the other five. Keating also missed a number of games. Those two players would be our main scorers.

The majority of the players above from other counties take frees so that would also increase their tally.

And let's not forget the fact that near 40 players featured for Cavan. I don't think there's a single forward that featured in all seven games bar maybe Niall McDermott.

Have you any stats for conceded?

Division 3

Dunne missed a lot v Wexford and Longford, and wasnt playing in 1 or 2 of the early games. McDermott and Martin Reilly would be the only forward that started each game as far as I know, and they were both in the half forward line, with Reilly being more of a link man. Keatting missed games with hamstring trouble, and then another match with a cold/flu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjaWi3pRo0s#t=116

Conor Moynagh's speech. Enjoy. Can't seem to embed it.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjaWi3pRo0s#t=116

Conor Moynagh's speech. Enjoy. Can't seem to embed it.

Any video of the game itself, wouldn't mind a look at the goal again?

http://www.tg4.ie/en/player/tg4-player.html

GAA 2014 - Episode:10

11:50 highlights of the u21 game, as gaeilge.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

Fingers x'd for a good performance today...all roads lead to Portlaoise.
    Since I started seeing my other half last year, just after the AIQF, Cavan have only lost 1 game and that was the Mc K Cup final. She wasn't really into the GAA at all before me (I've brought her to a few senior/u-21 games, and have her converted now!) but she thinks that us, going out and winning matches is completely the norm! If only she knew?! Let's hope she's right, and we pip the Dubs at the post today!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A friend of mine in Bailieboro is saying that Argue is a major doubt.
    Pulled up in training.
    Has a fitness test this morning but doubtful he'll make it.
    Bad blow if he doesn't for Cavan.
    Hope he does make it and Cavan win.

A friend of mine in Bailieboro is saying that Argue is a major doubt.
    Pulled up in training.
    Has a fitness test this morning but doubtful he'll make it.
    Bad blow if he doesn't for Cavan.
    Hope he does make it and Cavan win.

A lot of your friends must post on the Cavan Hogan Stand forum tayto!

• Advertisement

A lot of your friends must post on the Cavan Hogan Stand forum tayto!

No I don't think so.
    I was at last year's semi-finals in Tullamore with this one though and he's a great lad. Very sound. He had just been told himself.
    He was worried this morning when he rang me. Hope everything is alright with Argue.
    Team not announced until later because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Shame about the result against Dublin. Not a good ending judging by what I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Weren't good enough. 2 points in the second half? Never going to be good enough at this level. We saw the finish line and panicked, threw back on Conor Moynagh who wasn't fit enough, started kicking the ball away and diving for frees.
    The behaviour from Cavan players, supporters and management after the game has left a bad taste.. Disgraceful carry on. We deserve nothing if that's the way we react to feeling hard done by. I'm genuinely embarrassed by it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Weren't good enough. 2 points in the second half? Never going to be good enough at this level. We saw the finish line and panicked, threw back on Conor Moynagh who wasn't fit enough, started kicking the ball away and diving for frees.
    The behaviour from Cavan players, supporters and management after the game has left a bad taste.. Disgraceful carry on. We deserve nothing if that's the way we react to feeling hard done by. I'm genuinely embarrassed by it.

Well said chap, disgusting stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

it wasn't pretty but emotions are high and i'm sure these people will not be proud of their actions ......but by fcuk that ref was one spineless bag of sh1te

we had our chances and didnt take them

we have a unique bunch of lads with a winning mentality

the healing process starts next saturday against Roscommon

we'll be there .....we always are .....we are cavan

Hard luck Cavan.
    The ref was poor but Cavan needed more than one good forward to get by Dublin. Some of your shot taking in the 2nd half was poor.

Proud of the lads, they gave it everything. Very disappointed by the scenes at the end, took the shine of the performance. Hardworking more than stylish, just feel we needed a ball winner in the FF line that Hayes and Dillon could feed off.

Just home from the match, and have calmed down. A horrible way to lose, nobody in the ground thought it was a free, and many felt the Dublin forward (myself included) who got the equaliser should have got a black card.

Scenes at the end were horrible to see, and have no place on a football field. I can see why there were aggrieved, and the Dubs (IMO) got out of jail

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭corny

Proud of the lads, they gave it everything. Very disappointed by the scenes at the end, took the shine of the performance. Hardworking more than stylish, just feel we needed a ball winner in the FF line that Hayes and Dillon could feed off.

Just home from the match, and have calmed down. A horrible way to lose, nobody in the ground thought it was a free, and many felt the Dublin forward (myself included) who got the equaliser should have got a black card.

Scenes at the end were horrible to see, and have no place on a football field. I can see why there were aggrieved, and the Dubs (IMO) got out of jail

Horrible way indeed but he got both decisions right. On the replay you can clearly see the Cavan player pulling the Dublin player to the ground and dragging a player back running through is a free all day.

For what its worth i didn't think Cavan were direct enough. Slow build up play through the hands allowed Dublin too much time to set their defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Corny the Dublin player got a yellow card. There was no yellow card anywhere in that. There was a black for the Dublin player, or for Moynagh, but not a yellow.

The worst of the ref was blowing up after 2 minutes of injury time when Cavan were in possession, a Dublin player had been down for around 40 seconds receiving attention in that 2 minutes. Robbed us of the chance of an equaliser. But that doesn't excuse the behaviour of people after it. The main culprit is frequently a steward in Breffni Park but he's not all there upstairs.

• Advertisement

corny wrote: »
    Horrible way indeed but he got both decisions right. On the replay you can clearly see the Cavan player pulling the Dublin player to the ground and dragging a player back running through is a free all day.

For what its worth i didn't think Cavan were direct enough. Slow build up play through the hands allowed Dublin too much time to set their defence.

So why did the Dublin player who pulled Moynagh to the ground NOT get a black card. Joe Dillons,, for me was a black card, and the other incident was the same.

I didnt have the privilege of seeing a replay on the free at the end, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt. But the black card question remains

Advertisement