Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Costello also appeared to have fouled the ball in the build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭corny

Corny the Dublin player got a yellow card. There was no yellow card anywhere in that. There was a black for the Dublin player, or for Moynagh, but not a yellow.

The worst of the ref was blowing up after 2 minutes of injury time when Cavan were in possession, a Dublin player had been down for around 40 seconds receiving attention in that 2 minutes. Robbed us of the chance of an equaliser. But that doesn't excuse the behaviour of people after it. The main culprit is frequently a steward in Breffni Park but he's not all there upstairs.

I think the referees thinking was the Dublin player stopped the Cavan player running through but it was the Cavan players fault they hit the deck. I'm trying not to be biased here but i have to say i agree. You can clearly see the Cavan player pulling the Dublin player to the ground. He had a good grip of the jersey like.

I agree on the time keeping. Taking the time keeping out of the hands of the officials can't come soon enough. However, do i think Cavan would have equalised? No, definitely not.

corny wrote: »
    I think the referees thinking was the Dublin player stopped the Cavan player running through but it was the Cavan players fault they hit the deck. I'm trying not to be biased here but i have to say i agree. You can clearly see the Cavan player pulling the Dublin player to the ground. He had a good grip of the jersey like.

I agree on the time keeping. Taking the time keeping out of the hands of the officials can't come soon enough. However, do i think Cavan would have equalised? No, definitely not.

Whether or not you think Cavan would have scored is completely irrelevant. Did we look like scoring 1-3 in the last 3 minutes of the Ulster Final? No, definitely not.
    What can't be argued against is that not enough injury time was played, and so we were robbed of the opportunity. That's all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Nobody thought they would equalise against Donegal when 2 points down, and they promptly kicked 1-3 without reply:)
    To be fair though we struggled to score and the Dubs had their defence well organised in the second half, and if Im honest i dont think we would have managed it.

Would agree that the timekeeping has to be taken away from officials. Time wasted/used up during injuries/goal celebrations/timewasting is very rarely added on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭corny

Whether or not you think Cavan would have scored is completely irrelevant. Did we look like scoring 1-3 in the last 3 minutes of the Ulster Final? No, definitely not.
    What can't be argued against is that not enough injury time was played, and so we were robbed of the opportunity. That's all that matters.

Something tells me nothing i say will matter to you so......fair enough.

• Advertisement

Well I don't think you can possibly shed any more light on what happened, Cavan were in possession with two minutes of injury time played. Additional injury time of at least 30 seconds should have been added for the injury to the Dublin player which halted play in injury time but wasn't, so we were deprived of the opportunity of a last attack which we could well have scored from. Fairly black and white.

But we had ourselves beaten before that so it's just a minor grievance. We didn't have the forwards to dig out the difficult scores once Dublin went more defensive in the second half, simple as that. Dublin will need to improve for the final and they won't get away with another poor performance. Best of luck to themselves and Roscommon for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I was sad to see Cavan lose. Ye had the winning of the game but your play in the final third in the last twenty minutes let ye down.

Cavan have the best young backs in the entire country right now. It's not rough and tumble Tyrone style defending - it's players that read the game fantastically and know how to disrupt and dispossess players within the rules of the game. It was a joy to watch today, as good as any of the attacking play in the first game.

All aboard the train to Croker next weekend.

Syferus wrote: »
    Was sad to see Cavan lose. Ye had the winning of the game but your play in the final third in the last twenty minutes let ye down.

Cavan have the best young backs in the entire country right now. It's not rough and tumble Tyrone style defending - it's players that read the game fantastically and know how to disrupt and dispossess players within the rules of the game. It was a joy to watch today, as good as any of the attacking play in the first game.

All aboard the train to Croker next weekend.

Thanks Syferus, genuinely nice to hear appreciation instead of the usual "Cavan are awful defensive".. Huge focus has been put on genuine honest tackling and dispossession in Cavan and that can be seen throughout the U21 and Senior teams.

We'll tell you how we produce defenders if you tell us how to produce forwards?!

I'm sure we'll be sparring at each other by next Saturday night but for now, congratulations on today's win and I hope you go on to win the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Buncha Fives

First of all I would like to say hard luck to a gallant Cavan team, if a small bit of luck had fell their way they would be in an all-ireland final.

I feel that Cavan lost the match in the third quarter when they seemed to be in total control but failed to put any day light between themselves and Dublin, who were always going to have a good spell at some stage, but Cavan simply had not put enough scores on the board by the end of the third quarter to hold out against the inevitable late surge from Dublin.

I know people will be on here over next couple of days saying an Ulster championship is now no use to Cavan anymore and they need to be winning all-ireland's, while this is true to an extent remarkable progress has been made over the last few years and that needs to remembered considering where football was in the county only a few years ago.

The current system of play that Cavan use seems to be about 80% right and for long periods today they dominated, but the system is almost too rigid and players (and management) appeared to be scared to take the necessary risks which might of taken Cavan over the line. What I mean by this is that they were at times conservative in their approach, quite like Donegal when they won their first Ulster championship a few years ago and the element of creativity needed to unlock a defence just wasn't there...I cant remember Cavan creating one goal scoring opportunity today and only 10 scores against quality opposition is always going to leave it too close for comfort.

I think all that Cavan need is the slightest of adjustment to their system and then they will be genuine all-ireland U-21 and Ulster senior contenders. I felt if Cavan had really attacked Dublin in the third quarter I think they could have won the game comfortably but instead their approach seemed to be based around keeping possession at all costs and slowly work the ball into a scoring position which often ended up being a bottle neck because the approach had been so slow.

I have to say the refereeing in the game today was near to farcical, I wouldn't argue with Dillon's black card but the foul by Costello in the third quarter where he clearly dragged his opponent and then landed on him intentionally with his knees was disgraceful, how he didn't get a black card is beyond me. I won't even start about the Mc Hugh tackle, the winning free or the amount of injury time played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Hard luck to Cavan U-21s fine effort losing Dillon probably a turning point. Some fine players coming through and Cavan seniors will hold their own in div 2 next year,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I have to say the refereeing in the game today was near to farcical, I wouldn't argue with Dillon's black card but the foul by Costello in the third quarter where he clearly dragged his opponent and then landed on him intentionally with his knees was disgraceful, how he didn't get a black card is beyond me. I won't even start about the Mc Hugh tackle, the winning free or the amount of injury time played.

Delighted to hear some actually admit it. We've the Dublin lads trying to tell us oh he wasn't hard on Cavan but this 50/50 decision went Dublin's way and that 50/50 decision went Dublin's way. There were five key issues the ref got wrong for me that had a huge bearing in the game:

1. The Dillon black card. I don't think it was a black card and if it was McHugh and Costelloe both should have been gone from the Dublin side.
    2. McHugh scored the equalising point. He should have been off the pitch for a black card.
    3. Costelloe scored the winning point. He should have been off the pitch for a black card.
    4. The free should not have been a free. Moynagh doesn't even use two hands at once and he certainly doesn't pull or grab at the Dublin forward. The Dublin forward rides his tackle and gets his shot away.
    5. Two minutes added and 1 minute of it was spent with the Dublin player on the ground. Cavan should have been allowed to attack.

Some tweets about the game:

@PaORourke89: Referee should go un-noticed but still get the big calls right & not be be the main talking point after any game. Fierce harsh luck on Cavan

@gergilroy: Dubs win by one. Cavan feel the ref was harsh on them. They might have a case.

@gergilroy: @JoelSlattery think the advantage was fine but the issue was that it wasn't a foul in the first place?

There's no condoning the actions at the end. A shame those will probably overshadow the good season this team has had.

Horrible way indeed but he got both decisions right. On the replay you can clearly see the Cavan player pulling the Dublin player to the ground and dragging a player back running through is a free all day.

For what its worth i didn't think Cavan were direct enough. Slow build up play through the hands allowed Dublin too much time to set their defence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1fM3Jj34-4E&list=PL6558A91C79FEE0C5

Free is around 1.50. Explain to me where you see this "dragging a player back running through"?

Moynagh is only using one hand at any stage. He never uses two hands to drag at the Dublin player.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Lemlin wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1fM3Jj34-4E&list=PL6558A91C79FEE0C5

Free is around 1.50. Explain to me where you see this "dragging a player back running

Moynagh is only using one hand at any stage. He never uses two hands to drag at the Dublin player.

Quite clearly a free, swung out of him then let go, a real tired looking tackle, kind of like the tackle a forward would make. 1 point in the last 25 minutes will rarely win too many semi finals

royaler83 wrote: »
    Quite clearly a free, swung out of him then let go, a real tired looking tackle, kind of like the tackle a forward would make. 1 point in the last 25 minutes will rarely win too many semi finals

Swung out of him? Moynagh has the player coming into him at momentum. He never even has a hold of him to swing out of him.

Look at the reaction of the Dublin player after the miss. Is he expecting or looking for a free? No, he has his hands on his head lamenting the miss. He doesn't expect or look for a free and neither do his team mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

That's two years in a row that cavan have been shafted at this level. That was no free near the end and why did he not add the time for the injury to the Dublin player in injury time

The little fishes get screwed again while Dublin with there big sponsorship can sail on and get AIG more exposure. There was more articles about these all black jerseys in the build up to the game than the game itself.

That referee will go far you will see him get an all ireland final the GAA love the likes of him who will help the big teams win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Free is around 1.50. Explain to me where you see this "dragging a player back running through"?

Having watched that again, all your points fly out the window. Can you honestly not see the Cavan player stop the dublins forwards momentum when he is running through? That is a free, and the point with his hands on his had you can clearly see the referee has given the free a number of seconds ago and he is A disappointed he missed or B just getting air.

I think the scenes at the end were absolutely disgraceful. Hopefully 48week bans for a number of people at a minimum.

You should apologise Lemlin for not knowing that stopping someones momentum is a free.

Double post

celt262 wrote: »
    You should apologise Lemlin for not knowing that stopping someones momentum is a free.

If you read his other post he mentioned momentum. So I thought it was obvious that I was suggesting he was doing it in an illegal way. The players left hand clearly drags back.

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    If you read his other post he mentioned momentum. So I thought it was obvious that I was suggesting he was doing it in an illegal way. The players left hand clearly drags back.

There's no pulling or dragging movement made. Moynagh has his hands out to block the player who is running at momentum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Defensive football will only get ye so far.

Cavan had the forwards to win it but didn't get the ball to them enough, and quick enough.

There's no pulling or dragging movement made. Moynagh has his hands out to block the player who is running at momentum.

Okay so now you might admit it was a free the only physical contact can be shoulder to shoulder.
    The Tackle is re-defined as:
    “The Tackle is a skill by which a player may dispossess an opponent or frustrate his objective within the Rules of Fair Play. The tackle is aimed at the ball, not the player. The tackler may use his body to confront the opponent but deliberate bodily contact (such as punching, slapping, arm holding, pushing, tripping, jersey pulling or a full frontal charge) is forbidden. The only deliberate physical contact can be a Fair Charge i.e. Shoulder-to-shoulder with at least one foot on the ground. More than one player can tackle the player in possession.”

Having watched that again, all your points fly out the window. Can you honestly not see the Cavan player stop the dublins forwards momentum when he is running through? That is a free, and the point with his hands on his had you can clearly see the referee has given the free a number of seconds ago and he is A disappointed he missed or B just getting air.

I think the scenes at the end were absolutely disgraceful. Hopefully 48week bans for a number of people at a minimum.

Football would be ruined if that was given every time it happened. Hand went for the ball and the player got away and took his shot. Do you also realise that the Dublin No 13 SHOULDNT have been on the field to kick the equaliser.

Scenes at the end were disgraceful.....thats the only part of your post that makes sense. A ban for referees making gamechanging errors would also be appropriate

Football would be ruined if that was given every time it happened. Hand went for the ball and the player got away and took his shot. Do you also realise that the Dublin No 13 SHOULDNT have been on the field to kick the equaliser.

Scenes at the end were disgraceful.....thats the only part of your post that makes sense. A ban for referees making gamechanging errors would also be appropriate

I'm not saying if I agree or disagree, I'm pointing out that the referee applied the rules. In relation to that black card, did you not see the canal player drag him down on top of him?

What was so wrong about the scenes at end, nobody laid a hand on the referee. Is it any worse than what roscommon supporters did?

I'm not saying if I agree or disagree, I'm pointing out that the referee applied the rules. In relation to that black card, did you not see the canal player drag him down on top of him?

Well if thats the case, why the yellow card?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Dillon was fouled in a similar incident earlier in the game, ref waved advantage and the ball went wide. Why did he not pull it back for a free? No consistency.

And Dillion's free was blatantly obvious where this one is very dubious.

The referee needs to apply the rules consistently.

That's the main problem with it. He applied this rule and the black card rule inconsistently and applied both in Dublin's favour.

Too many of the 50/50 calls went Dublin's way.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

In the McHugh incident in the first half; the Cavan player can be clearly seen with a hold of the Dublin's players shirt and he dragged McHugh to the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

In the McHugh incident in the first half; the Cavan player can be clearly seen with a hold of the Dublin's players shirt and he dragged McHugh to the ground.

That is not the point as I see it.
    #The ref gave McHugh a yellow card for the incident when it was either a black card or nothing. If the ref deemed it to be a foul by McHugh then it was a black card.

Advertisement