Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

Dunne took any penalty we got in the league and scored them all.

Alan Clarke was lost at sea last night and coughed up 3 points and let a man stroll past him for the goal.

So between our Midfield been out of the game for long periods, our full forward line been greedy and missing way to much and our sweeper looking like he had been on he sauce for two days before the game, we got beat.

Not including the keeper but I wont slate him as i have before as others here think he can do no wrong. 3rd choice would be generous Cavan4sam.

3 out of the 4 can be fixed but its the forwards who are the real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Its good to see none of us have overreacted too much after last nights defeat.
    I agree with most of which has been posted,there are a couple of changes that evidently need to be made before the Armagh game,and a few established lads who we would have thought were nearly "automatic starters" could be sweating to hold on to their places.

Gearoid had an off day in the aerial exchanges,but he played an awful lot of football and was a key instigator in our great start.
    I would love to see Terry start with Gearoid@ 13/15 and allow him the freedom to drift out and become a third midfield option at times like Donie Shine was for the Rossies last night,and start Givney and Argue at midfield.

Martin Dunne is a very talented footballer who has the full array of skills but when teams crowd our full forward line out,he just doesn't have the physique to win any 50/50 balls going in. We need another option because Armagh are not going to be as naive as last year and allow the two lads the freedom of the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

I wouldn't go too overboard about last nights result - promotion was always the priority and we have achieved that. It would have been great to have a trophy in the cabinet but no doubt the result will help keep things grounded in the camp and am sure the management are well aware of the work to be done. Roscommon are a damn good team and we had plenty of chances to win the game so we weren't that far off.

But plenty to work on between now and the Athletic grounds and a few changes I would see are:

James Farrelly or Alan O'Mara starting in goals - Gilly unfortunately seems to average a brain fart a game and his kick outs are too predictable.

Killian Clarke in the back line will help out Rory Dunne - that was part of the issue last night Dunne was too isolated.

We need to settle on a midfield partnership and go with that - for me it should be Gearoid and Argue.

There's a real danger of wrecking Jack Brady by constantly sticking him into big games and expecting magic even though he's clearly rusty and not up to intercounty match speed yet. Kevin Tierney, Tom Hayes and even young Joe Dillon should be tried in friendlies between now and Armagh as other options. Givney in the full forward line is another option to try.

Dunne is just going to be one of them players who will either be brilliant if the confidence is up or shocking if its not going well - anyone fancy doing a whip around to get the lad a good sports psychologist?

Keating will continue to frustrate and I really hoped that Dublin club football would help him but sadly he still has the tendency for the hail Mary shot or not giving the ball to a better placed team mate.

What we are really crying out for in a top forward to take us to the next level.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

We've 5 weeks now to Armagh starting with a challenge against Galway next week in Killygarry.

I think Hyland will have learned more about his team yesterday than he did over the seven other league games. There's no questioning that Roscommon were a level above the rest of the Division but the good thing is by no means were we played off the pitch. If anything, we kicked away the game ourselves.

After the top five or six teams, there's very little between the next few teams like ourselves. We have a team that are still learning and hopefully yesterday will be another vital cog in that.

It showed that midfield has to change to two big men. That we struggle when teams run at us. That the two lads up front are going to have to buck up their ideas. That the sideline needs to change things quicker - teams struggle with Mackey running at them so why not throw on Niall Smith in the odd game. That we need to move the ball quicker - how many times did we lose possession playing around with the ball within our own 21 metre line?

As I said earlier last week, I'd also like to see James Farrelly tried in goals. Gilsenan's kick outs aren't working. He cost us last year against Monaghan and he's been given his chance now and hasn't improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Would we have moved on enough to bring back our prodigal son to beef up our forward line .

• Advertisement

Would we have moved on enough to bring back our prodigal son to beef up our forward line .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

cavan4sam wrote: »

No - never going to happen.

He is similar to Martin Dunne,very talented skill wise,but lacks the physique to win the dirty contested ball going in. IMO hes not the type of player we need as the third member of that full forward line. We need a ball winner/target man in there.

Redsoxfan wrote: »

Tough break for him if it's a serious injury but he's the poster boy for player burn out. Has rarely got a break from football between playing for Cross and Armagh over the last ten years or so. Hope it's nothing that will keep him out for too long as he's a smashing footballer.

• Advertisement

Hammar wrote: »
    He is similar to Martin Dunne,very talented skill wise,but lacks the physique to win the dirty contested ball going in. IMO hes not the type of player we need as the third member of that full forward line. We need a ball winner/target man in there.

There's no chance of it happening.

Even if there was, why would we bother with a player who wasn't good enough for a team who are now in the same Division as us?

As well as that, there'd be a whole media circus.

I really think people are overreacting when I see all this talk of rapid changes needed.

The bottom line is we played badly, missed numerous scorable chances and a penalty, and were still within 2 points of Roscommon at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

One loss and a large group of supporters revert back to the way we reacted to defeats before the Hyland revolution: reinvent the wheel. A huge change in personnel is not needed and Johnston is not needed. Johnston was just as hot and cold as Dunne can be, people seem to forget that.
    We need to look to the future for what can come in and improve us. Perhaps Paul O'Connor is a happy medium between Dunne and Keating. Hayes is a little warrior and could be a great option off the bench. Surely there's more to come from Tierney. A bit further down the line Ryan Connolly looks very promising.

Lemlin wrote: »
    There's no chance of it happening.

Even if there was, why would we bother with a player who wasn't good enough for a team who are now in the same Division as us?

As well as that, there'd be a whole media circus.

I really think people are overreacting when I see all this talk of rapid changes needed.

The bottom line is we played badly, missed numerous scorable chances and a penalty, and were still within 2 points of Roscommon at the end.

I don't personally want him back on the panel,I'm simply saying he wouldn't be an upgrade over our other options and is certainly not the type of player our FF line is crying out for.
    O Connor would be a good option as Keepthefaith says, he's a good ball winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

One loss and a large group of supporters revert back to the way we reacted to defeats before the Hyland revolution: reinvent the wheel. A huge change in personnel is not needed and Johnston is not needed. Johnston was just as hot and cold as Dunne can be, people seem to forget that.
    We need to look to the future for what can come in and improve us. Perhaps Paul O'Connor is a happy medium between Dunne and Keating. Hayes is a little warrior and could be a great option off the bench. Surely there's more to come from Tierney. A bit further down the line Ryan Connolly looks very promising.

Can't really see how there could possibly be anymore to come from Tierney seeing as he is consistently given only 2/3 minutes playing time at the end of every match.

Can't really see how there could possibly be anymore to come from Tierney seeing as he is consistently given only 2/3 minutes playing time at the end of every match.

That's incorrect. He started and featured in a number of league games. We used near 40 players in the League so very few can say they didn't get at least one run out. Tierney would actually be one of the happier members of the panel with the playing time he got. I would like to see him played in nearer the goal as I have said previously but Tierney was given ample chance in the league.

It was frustrating that he didn't get longer on the pitch the other evening but remember the match was level until about 64 or 65 minutes so there wasn't alot of time left when Roscommon went ahead to get players on.

Sadly, it seems to be the Cavan way. Sure we went a number of years changing managers while leaving the same players there churning out the same crap on the pitch. Val Andrews had the balls to change it then and now Terry, as was always the plan, is pulling us on. People are quick to forget that we went from a team that hadn't beaten a team in the Ulster championship outside Division 4 sides (Antrim or Fermanagh) to the last 8 in the country last year.

If anything, last year's progress was too rapid and now people are expecting too much.

so its fairly clear all is not forgiven , was just testing the waters :)

i'd like to see terry trying the option of trying a big target man on the square rotating to midfield ie.givney gearoid and michael argue , i thought keating and dunne were isolated in the ff line last week and maybe a 3 man ff line cud be an option with a roaming full forward playing a 3rd midfielder role if needed

i dont think there will be too many changes to the 15 that started on saturday maybe 3 or 4 max , clarke will be in and hopefully o mara or farrelly in goals and maybe 1 or 2 changes in the forward line

hopefully we can stay injury free between now and armagh

so its fairly clear all is not forgiven , was just testing the waters :)

i'd like to see terry trying the option of trying a big target man on the square rotating to midfield ie.givney gearoid and michael argue , i thought keating and dunne were isolated in the ff line last week and maybe a 3 man ff line cud be an option with a roaming full forward playing a 3rd midfielder role if needed

i dont think there will be too many changes to the 15 that started on saturday maybe 3 or 4 max , clarke will be in and hopefully o mara or farrelly in goals and maybe 1 or 2 changes in the forward line

hopefully we can stay injury free between now and armagh

Where would you see the 1 or 2 changes in the forward line though? For me, the half forward line played well. Martin Reilly would have been my man of the match and McDermott and Mackey were good.

Then you have Dunne and Keating in the forward line and I can't see either of them being moved out. So all you are left with is Jack's position.

I do think Argue starting in or around the 40 and dropping out to midfield will be tried. It's what was happening in a few of the league games. I'd say Niall would be named in the corner but drop out.

Speaking to a a few, it's understood that Dunne has been playing well in training and they're as perplexed about him missing the chances as we all are. We just have to hope he'll have his shooting boots back on by June 8th.

I agree re the lads being isolated. I think we need to work on getting the ball forward quicker. It's a problem that isn't going away at this stage. We're simply too slow on the counter.

I'd like to see the game plan change in the odd game. Imagine a full forward line of Givney, Keating and Argue or Tierney and high balls raining down on them.

We're too predictable IMO. The gamelan needs to be mixed up a bit.

Where would you see the 1 or 2 changes in the forward line though? For me, the half forward line played well. Martin Reilly would have been my man of the match and McDermott and Mackey were good.

Then you have Dunne and Keating in the forward line and I can't see either of them being moved out. So all you are left with is Jack's position.

I do think Argue starting in or around the 40 and dropping out to midfield will be tried. It's what was happening in a few of the league games. I'd say Niall would be named in the corner but drop out.

Speaking to a a few, it's understood that Dunne has been playing well in training and they're as perplexed about him missing the chances as we all are. We just have to hope he'll have his shooting boots back on by June 8th.

I agree re the lads being isolated. I think we need to work on getting the ball forward quicker. It's a problem that isn't going away at this stage. We're simply too slow on the counter.

I'd like to see the game plan change in the odd game. Imagine a full forward line of Givney, Keating and Argue or Tierney and high balls raining down on them.

We're too predictable IMO. The gamelan needs to be mixed up a bit.

i think jack brady and if keating continues his erratic shooting could be in danger of losing his position , i know he has won a few games for us but we still managed without him when he was injured

i wonder does he get away with that sort of play with the syls ?

i know he got a blue star last year in dublin so he obviously had a good year , but if he cud calm himself down a little i think he could become so much better

As for dunne we know what he is capable of so i doubt he will be going anywhere although i've noticed when he is up against a more physical opponent he fades out of games

anyway i dont think any of our problems aren't fixable with a little bit of tweaking here and there

i think jack brady and if keating continues his erratic shooting could be in danger of losing his position , i know he has won a few games for us but we still managed without him when he was injured

i wonder does he get away with that sort of play with the syls ?

i know he got a blue star last year in dublin so he obviously had a good year , but if he cud calm himself down a little i think he could become so much better

As for dunne we know what he is capable of so i doubt he will be going anywhere although i've noticed when he is up against a more physical opponent he fades out of games

anyway i dont think any of our problems aren't fixable with a little bit of tweaking here and there

We've got to take into account with himself and Alan Clarke, that both missed games and training in the league due to injury,so they couldn't have been match fit last Saturday night.4/5 weeks of training/inter panel games will bring them on in that regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Hammar wrote: »
    We've got to take into account with himself and Alan Clarke, that both missed games and training in the league due to injury,so they couldn't have been match fit last Saturday night.4/5 weeks of training/inter panel games will bring them on in that regards.

Clarke was very sluggish on Sat, but Keating hasnt got an excuse. He missed a couple of weeks injured. Hes just greedy IMO, and it needs to be worked on. Our 50%ish shots to scores ratio (pretty sure I heard Terry say that what it was a few weeks ago) isnt anywhere near good enough. You can have bad misses, any team has, but there is no need to be shooting from crazy positions (under the Hogan Stand twice for example) when players are in better positions. Its fixing things like this that brings teams on top the next level, and with the lack of quality forwards in the Under 21s for example, those that we have need to cop on and make better decisions. Ability with Duune and Keating isnt the problem. Its the decision making that needs to improve, and that most definitely can be worked on

• Advertisement

2-14 to 1-12 win over Galway in Killygarry yesterday. Anyone attend? Anyone have the starting line ups?

Surprisingly, they weren't posted on the usually reliable Cavan GAA Twitter feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

2-14 to 1-12 win over Galway in Killygarry yesterday. Anyone attend? Anyone have the starting line ups?

Surprisingly, they weren't posted on the usually reliable Cavan GAA Twitter feed.

To be honest, I dont think the twitter feed is likely to cover challenge matches. Will try and find out what I can over the rest of the w/e

To be honest, I dont think the twitter feed is likely to cover challenge matches. Will try and find out what I can over the rest of the w/e

I don't expect it to cover the game tbh but it has in the past given line ups so I thought it might last night.

I'll be able to get the line up on Tuesday at work from a friend anyway. Just wondered if anyone here had it.

I didn't bother going over to the game. Decided the traffic would be too hard to get in/out of the pitch.

Hearing this morning that, as expected, Hyland gave pretty much every player a run in the challenge game. Chris Conroy started and apparently played well.

Robert Maloney Dernham also featured. He's appeared off the bench in the last few matches after missing last year through being abroad for college so he may be near enough a starting spot.

O'Neills selling off Cavan jackets if anyone is a medium:

http://www.oneills.com/shop-by-team/gaa/ulster/cavan-gaa/cavan-gaa-troy-rain-jacket.html

They also have kids 5-6 and 7-8 and a few hoodies and other tops in different sizes.

I was in The Sports Shop in town the other day and was told these won't be on sale again until October as they stop making them for the Summer.

I know they are essentially Winter jackets but considering the 'Summer' weather we generally have I can't see the reason not to sell them year round!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

Heard today that Killian Clarke is off to the US for the summer, disappointing from a Cavan Perspective but you can't blame the lad (if true)

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

It's on the front page of the sports section of today's Celt alright,he had a meeting with terry Hyland last night but nothing confirmed yet.

http://www.anglocelt.ie/sport/roundup/articles/2014/05/14/4030236-blow-as-clarke-could-be-usbound-for-summer/

I'd be very surprised if he went tbh. He's one of our best players so we could really do with him. That said, he probably needs a break. Between U21 and senior, he's been playing football for the last 3 years solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭treade1

Sounds like the lad probably has nothing lined up for the summer job wise. Hopefully someone can sort him out with a job.

It would be a major major blow if he left the panel. It wouldn't happen in Dublin. The have the finances to make sure all their players are looked after.

Fingers crossed he stays.

• Advertisement

treade1 wrote: »
    Sounds like the lad probably has nothing lined up for the summer job wise. Hopefully someone can sort him out with a job.

It would be a major major blow if he left the panel. It wouldn't happen in Dublin. The have the finances to make sure all their players are looked after.

Fingers crossed he stays.

You can't stop young players travelling if they wish to. In regard to Dublin:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/rory-ocarroll-an-ocean-of-calm-for-blues-26892602.html
    After handing the Kilmacud Crokes youngster his debut against Westmeath in 2009, O'Carroll promptly made the decision to spend the rest of the summer travelling with friends, leaving the prospect of a Leinster final against Kildare behind.

That meant he missed the hammering at the hands of Kerry but when he returned the following January and with a new defensive blueprint in mind, Gilroy was ready to welcome him back to the fold.

And his faith was justified. O'Carroll was named the 2010 'Hero of the Future' -- the Player of the Year award at U-21 grade -- when he helped Dublin to an All-Ireland and won a personal battle with Donegal's Michael Murphy hands down in the decider.

Only the Leinster semi-final against Meath that year -- when the Royals ran in five goals on O'Carroll's watch -- can go down as a bad day at the office for the Crokes youngster. However, results for both sides since suggest that was a freak occurrence as the Dubs went all the way to an All-Ireland semi-final.

Soon afterwards, O'Carroll was on the phone to Gilroy again. This time he was headed for France and a small town called Gien where he could learn the language that he's studying in UCD and, in the process, live the life.

It was a move that meant he would miss the National League campaign but it was not an act that suggested flippancy towards the Dublin cause, just one that meant he knew it wasn't the be all and end all.

Cavan GAA also has the finance to make sure its players are looked after. It's well known that a number of the current crop were helped to get jobs. Cian Mackey was on the verge of going to Australia for example.

I'd say Clarke could do with a break at this stage. He won an Ulster minor title in 2011, and was playing with both the U21s and seniors the following year and has been since. That's 3 hard years of football. He has also had long seasons with Shercock and played college football with Athlone IT and Jordanstown.

Advertisement