Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

It finished 1-18 to 1-6. Impressive score line from the Cavan lads. Unlike the past few years at junior, plenty of players that haven't been in the panel before featured.

We have Louth now in the semi in two weeks. Looks like we're on the easy side of the draw with Meath and Kildare on the other side.

Last night's team:

James Farrelly - Kingscourt
    Fergal Reilly
    David Wright - Castlerahan
    James Morris - Arva
    Paul Smith - Castlerahan
    Barry Doyle - Cornafean
    Conor Moynagh - Drumgoon
    Turloc Mooney - Redhills
    Liam Buchanan - Ballymachugh
    Philip Tinnelly - Kingscourt
    Sean Gaffney - Kill
    Emmet Fitzsimons - Killinkere
    Paul O'Connor - Cavan Gaels
    Thomas Moore - Ballainagh
    Enda Reilly - Mullahoran

Fergal Smith, Enda Hession, Nevin O'Donnell and Chris Conroy all came on. The fact Conroy didn't start means he'll at least make the sub bench come Sunday week for me. Paul O'Connor may also have played himself into a sub's spot with a very good display by all accounts. I've often heard people mention him as the third scoring forward we could badly do with.

Good to see a few lads getting a chance who wouldn't have been involved with the U21s also. THis year's team is a very experimental team unlike the junior line-ups of previous years. Only 3 players (Mooney, Tinnelly and O'Connor) have ever featured for the seniors in the league.

From what I hear it is very much looking that Mackey will not feature next week.

If he does, I'll be surprised if its more than a bit part.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Lemlin wrote: »
    From what I hear it is very much looking that Mackey will not feature next week.

If he does, I'll be surprised if its more than a bit part.

What type of injury has he got?

tanko wrote: »
    What type of injury has he got?

Just heard he has a knock of some sort and hasn't been training much, if training at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Mackey would be a serious loss if not fit. There's been lots of talk about the strength in depth of the Cavan panel this year. Next Sunday might tell us whether it's true or not. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bear on the square

He has a bad groin injury. Had an injection prior to the league final and looks like he was rushed back to early. Even if he does feature he surely wont be at match fitness

From what I'm hearing, there's been good news and Gearoid will be fit to take his place at midfield. Who will partner him is anyone's guess but I'm expecting it to be a defensive minded player.

We may be seeing a new full forward come the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Last night's team:

James Farrelly - Kingscourt
    Fergal Reilly
    David Wright - Castlerahan
    James Morris - Arva
    Paul Smith - Castlerahan
    Barry Doyle - Cornafean
    Conor Moynagh - Drumgoon
    Turloc Mooney - Redhills
    Liam Buchanan - Ballymachugh
    Philip Tinnelly - Kingscourt
    Sean Gaffney - Kill
    Emmet Fitzsimons - Killinkere
    Paul O'Connor - Cavan Gaels
    Thomas Moore - Ballainagh
    Enda Reilly - Mullahoran

Fergal Smith, Enda Hession, Nevin O'Donnell and Chris Conroy all came on. The fact Conroy didn't start means he'll at least make the sub bench come Sunday week for me. Paul O'Connor may also have played himself into a sub's spot with a very good display by all accounts. I've often heard people mention him as the third scoring forward we could badly do with.

Good to see a few lads getting a chance who wouldn't have been involved with the U21s also. THis year's team is a very experimental team unlike the junior line-ups of previous years. Only 3 players (Mooney, Tinnelly and O'Connor) have ever featured for the seniors in the league.

Ciaran Caffrey from Mountnugent also came on and kicked 2 points

AFAIK Mackey hasnt kicked any ball since Roscommon in Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

From what I'm hearing, there's been good news and Gearoid will be fit to take his place at midfield. Who will partner him is anyone's guess but I'm expecting it to be a defensive minded player.

We may be seeing a new full forward come the weekend.

A new full forward in replacement of one of Keating or Dunne or a switch around? O'Connor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

A new full forward in replacement of one of Keating or Dunne or a switch around? O'Connor?

Think Givney could be put in there. Not sure if O Connor training with seniors but I know they were looking at some of juniors last weekend with certain players like Rory Dunne struggling.

Mackey has played since Croke Park. I know he played a club game against the Gaels and did he not go of injured against Galway in Killygarry?

Think Givney could be put in there. Not sure if O Connor training with seniors but I know they were looking at some of juniors last weekend with certain players like Rory Dunne struggling.

Mackey has played since Croke Park. I know he played a club game against the Gaels and did he not go of injured against Galway in Killygarry?

If David Givney is our full forward we won't win the game. Right now I'd be hesitant to put him in the starting 15 at all. O'Connor is training with the Seniors but has been struggling with injury up until lately as far as I know.

If David Givney is our full forward we won't win the game. Right now I'd be hesitant to put him in the starting 15 at all. O'Connor is training with the Seniors but has been struggling with injury up until lately as far as I know.

Why the negativity towards Givney? He did a fine job at full forward in the league last year.

Why the negativity towards Givney? He did a fine job at full forward in the league last year.

He had a couple of good games against Monaghan and Meath as I recall, by the end of the league he had lost his place on the starting team completely. He had a hectic schedule with Sigerson to be fair to him. I certainly wouldn't think that enough to start him in a Championship game at full forward. He doesn't have the ball winning ability or the shot selection or the ability to bring others into play to be a full forward. I find him hugely frustrating, he consistently proves himself unable to do the simple things well, constant misplaced passes and wild shots, he's more style than substance for the most part. I have yet to see him dominate at Championship.
    There is talent and the physical attributes to make an impact, at times in the past I've said that I've never seen anyone play for Cavan with such a fantastic ability to field a ball but, flashes of brilliance don't cut it at this level. Keating, Tierney or O'Connor should all be ahead of him for the 14 jersey.

He had a couple of good games against Monaghan and Meath as I recall, by the end of the league he had lost his place on the starting team completely. He had a hectic schedule with Sigerson to be fair to him. I certainly wouldn't think that enough to start him in a Championship game at full forward. He doesn't have the ball winning ability or the shot selection or the ability to bring others into play to be a full forward. I find him hugely frustrating, he consistently proves himself unable to do the simple things well, constant misplaced passes and wild shots, he's more style than substance for the most part. I have yet to see him dominate at Championship.
    There is talent and the physical attributes to make an impact, at times in the past I've said that I've never seen anyone play for Cavan with such a fantastic ability to field a ball but, flashes of brilliance don't cut it at this level. Keating, Tierney or O'Connor should all be ahead of him for the 14 jersey.

He didn't lose his place last year. He was exhausted towards the end of the League and was taken off early against Wicklow and rested against the Rossies.

http://www.anglocelt.ie/sport/gaelicfootball/articles/2013/04/06/4015242-givney-misses-out-as-cavan-make-five-changes/
    The big Mountnugent man is carrying a knock and will be rested for the visit of the Rossies. Hyland hinted in an interview with The Celt after the game that Givney may need a break after a hectic schedule of college, inter-provincial, club and county matches over the spring.

His shot selection could be better but against Meath last year he did a very good job of bringing others into the game and was marked by Donal Keoghan who would be one of Meath's better backs.

I find it amazing that you'd put Tierney ahead of him to be honest. I often hear people say Tierney isn't given a chance, it's been mentioned on here, but he featured in plenty of league games this year and doesn't appear to be making the cut. Perhaps he's still a bit young but I certainly wouldn't put him full forward ahead of Givney. I wouldn't stick O'Connor in there yet either. There's a big difference between Wexford juniors and Armagh.

As for Keating, from what I'm hearing he just isn't playing well. I don't think he's even playing club football at the minute.

I stand corrected, he played against the Gaels the day after the Rossies came.
    Wasnt aware he played v Galway, thought he was injured before that

As for Keating, from what I'm hearing he just isn't playing well. I don't think he's even playing club football at the minute.

Is he looking for another new club, and hence not playing club ball to force a transfer?

Is he looking for another new club, and hence not playing club ball to force a transfer?

I don't know the ins and outs of it to be honest. Will ask on the Dublin thread now. I just heard he is looking for a move and I haven't seen him in any Sylvesters team for any of their recent matches.

He didn't lose his place last year. He was exhausted towards the end of the League and was taken off early against Wicklow and rested against the Rossies.

http://www.anglocelt.ie/sport/gaelicfootball/articles/2013/04/06/4015242-givney-misses-out-as-cavan-make-five-changes/

His shot selection could be better but against Meath last year he did a very good job of bringing others into the game and was marked by Donal Keoghan who would be one of Meath's better backs.

I find it amazing that you'd put Tierney ahead of him to be honest. I often hear people say Tierney isn't given a chance, it's been mentioned on here, but he featured in plenty of league games this year and doesn't appear to be making the cut. Perhaps he's still a bit young but I certainly wouldn't put him full forward ahead of Givney. I wouldn't stick O'Connor in there yet either. There's a big difference between Wexford juniors and Armagh.

One good League game over a year ago and you'd stick him in full forward for a Championship opening game? Givney has yet to impress at Championship. A few fairly solid games is about the most we've got out of him. I've watched him play midfield and saw us cleaned out in that area against Armagh, Fermanagh, Donegal in Ulster in recent years. He has the reputation for being one of Cavan's star players but can anyone actually name a Championship game in which he has delivered?
    Tierney isn't perfect no, for a big man he seems a bit timid and games often seem to pass him by but I'd still have him there instead of Givney. If he's there on Sunday he might prove me wrong and I'll happily eat my words but I sincerely think he hasn't shown enough to warrant a starting position if we have a full hand to pick from.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bear on the square

Yes he is without a club at the minute but not his fault, Sylvesters got rid of all players who are not home based

• Advertisement

One good League game over a year ago and you'd stick him in full forward for a Championship opening game? Givney has yet to impress at Championship. A few fairly solid games is about the most we've got out of him. I've watched him play midfield and saw us cleaned out in that area against Armagh, Fermanagh, Donegal in Ulster in recent years. He has the reputation for being one of Cavan's star players but can anyone actually name a Championship game in which he has delivered?
    Tierney isn't perfect no, for a big man he seems a bit timid and games often seem to pass him by but I'd still have him there instead of Givney. If he's there on Sunday he might prove me wrong and I'll happily eat my words but I sincerely think he hasn't shown enough to warrant a starting position if we have a full hand to pick from.

I'd still love to know the basis behind your opinion. Givney played full forward last year against Meath and Monaghan and did a fine job. After the Sligo game, he moved back out the pitch as Keating was back. He then played the majority of championship without an established midfielder at his side and didn't set the world alight but was solid as you say. I'd also argue that Cavan's style doesn't seen to put emphasis on "winning" midfield.

Either way, Givney proved himself at full forward against two teams who were promoted last year in the league.

Tierney, on the other hand, was given his chance and has failed to deliver. I've heard people mention that they don't think he'll make the cut at senior, particularly after the Sligo game (I was at a christening so missed it myself).

Yet you'd throw him in ahead of Givney at full forward? It doesn't make sense to me at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Agree with Lemlin on this - Givney gets a very hard time from some quarters but is a quality footballer. But in my opinion midfield is not his best position - I would put him at 14 close to Dunne who will struggle to win his own ball against Armagh. By all accounts Paul O'Connor is pushing hard for a place but is more likely to get 20 minutes or so. Would put him ahead of Tierney at this stage. Tierney will hopefully come good but at the minute I can't seem him getting a start in the championship.

Not sure what the story is with Mackey but all the indications from the camp is that he will play! Martin Reilly is a decent back-up if Mackey doesn't start as he is well able to play ball and bring others into the game. If Mackey starts Armagh won't give him an inch of space to run the game which should free up room for others to get into the game. Runners from midfield will play a massive part in the game for Cavan.

Biggest injury worry for me would be Rory Dunne - missing Killian Clarke and Rory from the backs would have me really worried about the damage Jamie Clarke could do - especially with the black card meaning that players need to be careful about how they tackle him when he is running at the backs.

AFAIK Keating will be going to Ballymun Kickhams to join up with young Brady from Mullahoran.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

Tom Joad wrote: »
    AFAIK Keating will be going to Ballymun Kickhams to join up with young Brady from Mullahoran.

He won't be doing that until next year so will have missed a whole year of club football, but sure these lads are playing very little club football anyway.

Rory Dunne must be a big doubt he was on crutches early last week and along with Mackey, Gearoid and Keating they have done very little training. If the injuries are cleared up they may not be up to the pace of a championship game which would be a worry.

On Givney i'm not sure about him but he at least has to be given a chance during this championship to prove himself.

Cavan Team named as follows:

1. Conor Gilsenan — Bailieborough.
    2. Jason McLoughlin — Shannon Gaels.
    3. Rory Dunne — Redhills.
    4. Feargal Flanagan — Butlersbridge.
    5. James McEnroe — Ramor United.
    6. Alan Clarke — Kingscourt.
    7. Damien O’Reilly — Belturbet.
    8. David Givney — Mountnugent.
    9. Gearoid McKiernan — Swanlinbar.
    10. Cian Mackey — Castlerahan.
    11. Niall McDermott — Ballinagh.
    12. Martin Reilly — Killygary.
    13. Eugene Keating — Saint Sylvesters.
    14. Martin Dunne — Cavan Gaels.
    15. Jack Brady — Ramor United.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Cavan Team named as follows:

1. Conor Gilsenan — Bailieborough.
    2. Jason McLoughlin — Shannon Gaels.
    3. Rory Dunne — Redhills.
    4. Feargal Flanagan — Butlersbridge.
    5. James McEnroe — Ramor United.
    6. Alan Clarke — Kingscourt.
    7. Damien O’Reilly — Belturbet.
    8. David Givney — Mountnugent.
    9. Gearoid McKiernan — Swanlinbar.
    10. Cian Mackey — Castlerahan.
    11. Niall McDermott — Ballinagh.
    12. Martin Reilly — Killygary.
    13. Eugene Keating — Saint Sylvesters.
    14. Martin Dunne — Cavan Gaels.
    15. Jack Brady — Ramor United.

Pretty much as expected. You'd feel sorry for Killian Brady and Joshua Hayes. Neither put a foot wrong in the league and are now dropped because of the strength of the panel. Jack Brady wins that sixth spot in the forwards we have spoken about. The other five pick themselves.

I'd have worries about Fergal Flanagan at corner back. I didn't think he done well at corner back in the league final and for me he's a half back and not a corner back.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some movement and a couple of changes come Sunday though. I'd expect 2/3 with possibly Mackey out and Dunne perhaps not starting. I certainly can't see McKiernan and Givney starting at midfield together. The word I'm hearing, as I said above, is that Givney has been tried at full forward in training and is flying.

And at least we know we will have a strong bench if things aren't going well - Brady, Hayes, Corr, Maloney Dernham, Niall Smith, Philly Tinnelly, O'Connor, Tierney, Niall Murray and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

I think that Hayes will start as another defender is probably needed as Alan Clarke does not mark anyone.

But who knows Martin Reilly picked up his man in some of the league games so maybe Terry will go with that again.

It's a strong team on paper but 4 of them lads have done very little training so expect changes.

celt262 wrote: »
    I think that Hayes will start as another defender is probably needed as Alan Clarke does not mark anyone.

But who knows Martin Reilly picked up his man in some of the league games so maybe Terry will go with that again.

It's a strong team on paper but 4 of them lads have done very little training so expect changes.

I expect at least Mackey not to start. I'd expect Hayes or Brady to start corner back. That means Flanagan will move into Damien O'Reilly's position in the half backs, allowing O'Reilly to go to midfield.

Givney will go into the full forward line and Brady will drop back to Mackey's position.

If Rory Dunne doesn't start, I don't know who will play full back. McEnroe played there in the league last year so maybe him.

Armagh team named.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/gaelic-games/27706215

Armagh: Philip McEvoy; Andy Mallon, Charlie Vernon, James Morgan; Mark Shields, Brendan Donaghy, Ciaran McKeever; Kieran Toner, Aaron Findon; Caolan Rafferty, Kevin Dyas, Eugene McVerry; Jamie Clarke, Ethan Rafferty, Stefan Campbell.

I'd expect Aaron Kernan to start though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

I'd feel sorry for hayes too played every game in mc kenna cup and league and with clarke gone I'd have expected him to start .

I'm unsure what to expect from armagh . Are they as bad as their league form ?

Are we as good as our league form ,?

Its that time of year again ....bring it on !

best of luck to all involved and I'm looking forward to the game now . While work commitments stop me travelling I'll be tuned to northern sound full of hope

cavan4sam

Advertisement