Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Yes that's the video I saw. It looks like a very soft box though and Clarke was under the other Cavan player, I'd be surprised if that resulted in multiple fractures but maybe..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Good news :D

Cavan 0-17 Louth 0-8. Seemed a fairly straightforward win. Longford in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Good news :D

Cavan 0-17 Louth 0-8. Seemed a fairly straightforward win. Longford in the final.

I was hoping for Meath. Good to see Niall Smith and Lyng involved. I wonder is Terry readying a few lads for Westmeath.

As for the Dunne video, I don't for a second believe that punch thrown resulted in multiple fractures.

Lemlin wrote: »
    I was hoping for Meath. Good to see Niall Smith and Lyng involved. I wonder is Terry readying a few lads for Westmeath.

As for the Dunne video, I don't for a second believe that punch thrown resulted in multiple fractures.

We've probably been in more leinster finals that Meath recently :D:D. But yeah would have added something to the final if it was ourselves and Meath.

Hard to have sympathy for him to be honest but hopefully he will learn his lesson even it was a hard way to learn it- he was the main Cavan protagonist from what I saw. He'll be getting a ban anyway i'd said based on that footage.

Neither Cavan nor Armagh covered themselves in glory.

I do think we are going too hard on the team though. Losing your star forward in the warm-up would throw any teams plan awry and especially when he is the freetaker. Add in an injured Mackey, no Killian Clarke and a clearly struggling GMac it's not surprising we struggled so badly - not many counties outside Dublin could cope with them kind of losses before a championship game.

Hopefully the team will rally before the Westmeath game and the year won't be a write off championship wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

soap1978 wrote: »
    Derry last year,division one semi finalist this year

i said THIS year

• Advertisement

Suspensions wil be announced at 3 o'clock today I was told earlier.
    I do think we are going too hard on the team though. Losing your star forward in the warm-up would throw any teams plan awry and especially when he is the freetaker. Add in an injured Mackey, no Killian Clarke and a clearly struggling GMac it's not surprising we struggled so badly - not many counties outside Dublin could cope with them kind of losses before a championship game.

Hopefully the team will rally before the Westmeath game and the year won't be a write off championship wise.

Tbh the goal for the year was to reach Division 2 and that has been achieved. A run in the qualifiers would be nice to give us a few days out but we were probably a bit spoilt last year in that regard.

Edit: a member of the Cavan media told me suspensions were being announced at 3 but there's no sign of anything yet.

Feargal Flanagan and Martin Dunne the only two Cavan players suspended. Just waiting on the official newspiece here.

I find it amazing that Alan Clarke and some others haven't been tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Goes to show that Dunne was not innocent.
    Still can't believe it from him. Always thought he was too meek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Goes to show that Dunne was not innocent.
    Still can't believe it from him. Always thought he was too meek.

I cant believe McKeever didnt get a ban. His headlock on Damien O'Reilly had the chap struggling for breath.....was talking to one of the players who said this was the case.

In the case of Martin Dunne, he deserves his ban, but Im not sure why Fergal Flanagan was singled out though.

Over on the Hoganstand, Grimley is getting a lot of credit for breaking up the row. Easy to do that when you knew the thing was going to happen.

McKeever also lucky not to get a red card in the match itself for a box to Mackeys jaw....he got a yellow!!

If this is based on Marty Duffys report, why didnt he send off all the players mentioned? If it was based on that plus video evidence then McKeever should be in big trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cameroon15

As the general consensus is that we lack natural scoring forwards to take us to the next level , I was just curious to know if people believe we have a Conor McManus , Donal O'Hare, Ronan O'Neill ,etc. coming through in our ranks ? As I seen pointed out previously ,we are yet to see the majority of our successful U21 panels feature on the senior scene, so it is not panic stations just yet, these boys need time. Have we 4 or 5 classy forwards in our underage teams from the past 3-4 years capable of stepping up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

cameroon15 wrote: »
    As the general consensus is that we lack natural scoring forwards to take us to the next level , I was just curious to know if people believe we have a Conor McManus , Donal O'Hare, Ronan O'Neill ,etc. coming through in our ranks ? As I seen pointed out previously ,we are yet to see the majority of our successful U21 panels feature on the senior scene, so it is not panic stations just yet, these boys need time. Have we 4 or 5 classy forwards in our underage teams from the past 3-4 years capable of stepping up?

Not sure if i'd put Donal O' Hare and Ronan O Neil in Conor McManus's class to be honest.
    As for scoring forwards, I have a great hope that Conor Madden can develop into a top forward,he was destroyed by injuries this year,but is under 21 again next year as well.
    Paul O'Connor must get a chance if he is fit versus Westmeath for me.
    There are other younger lads that have promise,Ben Kiernan,Ryan Connolly,Pierce Smith and of course Tom Hayes etc,but its far too early to label them as being the next "big things".
    I will say one thing though, Next years under 21's will probably have a greater supply of quality forward options than any of the individual 4 in a row teams had.
    I'm not saying we will win another Ulster,but i'd be excited about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cameroon15

Hammar wrote: »
    Not sure if i'd put Donal O' Hare and Ronan O Neil in Conor McManus's class to be honest.
    As for scoring forwards, I have a great hope that Conor Madden can develop into a top forward,he was destroyed by injuries this year,but is under 21 again next year as well.
    There are other younger lads that have promise,Ben Kiernan,Ryan Connolly,Pierce Smith and of course Tom Hayes etc,but its far too early to label them as being the next "big things".
    I will say one thing though, Next years under 21's will probably have a greater supply of quality forward options than any of the individual 4 in a row teams had.

True,McManus is a proven inter county forward at this stage , for me O'Neill has the potential to be the best forward in Ulster in 2-3 years time.
    When you say we mightn't win another Ulster title with this group, would you sacrifice another Ulster title if we were to produce a forward or 2 who scored 5 or 6 points per game?

Alot of people are expecting Paul O'Connor to deliver. He's certainly playing well for the juniors.

For me, we need a few more more physical players in there. Someone made a good point to me this morning. We've probably two if not more lads that are too light.

List out the players and you are looking at McLoughlin, McVeety, Mackey, Dunne, Jack Brady and Martin Reilly. I'd like to see Corr and McKeever perhaps in from the start against Westmeath. Might help balance out the team a bit.

True,McManus is a proven inter county forward at this stage , for me O'Neill has the potential to be the best forward in Ulster in 2-3 years time.
    When you say we mightn't win another Ulster title with this group, would you sacrifice another Ulster title if we were to produce a forward or 2 who scored 5 or 6 points per game?

Absolutely.

Dara McVeety leaves for the States on Wednesday. I wish the lad well but think he should have told management before the Armagh game like Clarke did.

Still, these lads have alot of football played so they could do with the break.

I'm hearing there was a 4 hour plus meeting on the Monday night after the Armagh game so dedication certainly isn't an issue. The intensity has apparently been ramped up at the in-house training games as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Hammar wrote: »

You think so? Hayes, Madden, Galligan, Kiernan, Ryan Connolly.. All have decent potential but I don't think any can claim to be better than Jack, McDermott, Tierney, O'Conoor, Reilly etc..

You think so? Hayes, Madden, Galligan, Kiernan, Ryan Connolly.. All have decent potential but I don't think any can claim to be better than Jack, McDermott, Tierney, O'Conoor, Reilly etc..

No,what i was saying i believe next years under 21 selection of forwards will in my opinion be the best collective group of forwards we have had on one team.

2011 ,Niall Smith,Niall Murray,Barry Reily,Niall McDermott,Jack Brady,Packie Leddy.

2012,Joe Dillon,Chris Conroy, Fergal Flanagan,Jack Brady,Kevin Tierney,Raymond Lynch.

2013, Turlough Mooney ,Chris Conroy, Gerard Smith ,Enda Reily,Paul O Connor,Jack Brady

2014,Aaron Watson ,Dara McVeety, Enda Flanagan,Paul Graham,Joe Dillon,Tom Hayes.

2011 was probably the best collective group that we had,and that of course was with Barry Reily carrying a bad injury throughout the campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,545 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Anyone know when a time for the game next weekend is being announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

It's a joke that they are keeping this a secret.

• Advertisement

celt262 wrote: »

I think its more to do with waiting to see what game will be televised. I'd imagine it'll be at 7 unless it is being televised.

I think its more to do with waiting to see what game will be televised. I'd imagine it'll be at 7 unless it is being televised.

Yeah but it shouldn't take a week to decide. I have things to do Saturday morning/afternoon so they better get a move on !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

there are no televised (edit: qualifier) games I thought.
    Armagh v Monaghan Ulster semi is on at 7 .

anyhow, County Board on facebook announced its for 3 in Breffni next Saturday.

celt262 wrote: »
    Yeah but it shouldn't take a week to decide. I have things to do Saturday morning/afternoon so they better get a move on !

It's at 3 on Saturday. I'm surprised by that time.

It's at 3 on Saturday. I'm surprised by that time.

Does not suit me to good and will affect the crowd, very small crowd in Portlaoise at the early game last Saturday.

surprised by the time as well - actually suits me well but I can see a poor enough crowd.

surprised by the time as well - actually suits me well but I can see a poor enough crowd.

Yep, I'd expect a poor crowd on a Saturday afternoon at 3 to be honest. The traffic is going to be mental as town will be busy.

They're probably trying to avoid clashing with the World Cup and the Armagh/Monaghan game I suppose.

• Advertisement

Yep, I'd expect a poor crowd on a Saturday afternoon at 3 to be honest. The traffic is going to be mental as town will be busy.

They're probably trying to avoid clashing with the World Cup and the Armagh/Monaghan game I suppose.

Probably explains it all right but would have been better off leaving it at 7 o clock.

Advertisement