Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Lemlin wrote: »
    I haven't found Givney's form all that bad to be honest. He did a capable job in our run last year in difficult circumstances - playing without a recognised midfielder beside him.

I also think he made the best of a bad situation in the Armagh game. The ball wasn't played into him. Keating, on the other hand, cut a frustrated and dejected figure. Too much shoulder shrugging and giving out.

I'd agree about Jack Brady though. I still believe he may not start and we could see Keating in there. I'd even throw Tierney in ahead of him tbh.

Lyng is a bit of a wildcard but he's a creative player that can pick a pass. He wouldn't have made my team sheet either after the League final but he's 30 or so and Hyland must have him in there because he planned using him at some stage.

Things could go wrong but it's certainly a team I don't mind seeing. I'd have preferred to see Mossy Corr and perhaps McKeever included somewhere but we'll see how things go tomorrow.

Kevin has a bad groin injury,so he is unlikely to play much more football this year especially for the county. He done it in a league match against Killygarry about 8/10 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Hammar wrote: »
    Kevin has a bad groin injury,so he is unlikely to play much more football this year especially for the county. He done it in a league match against Killygarry about 8/10 weeks ago.

That explains his omission so. Thanks for the heads up.

Well we made tough work of that. Should have pushed on when 7 points ahead. The messing around in the back line at the end was madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well we made tough work of that. Should have pushed on when 7 points ahead. The messing around in the back line at the end was madness.

Yeah agree with that - how many times has Gilsenan done that though - its a regular thing getting penalised for stupid time wasting and then having brain farts. His kick outs were a lot better today and he did make a good save just before Cavan got their goal.

McEnroe had a great game, as did Argue and Lyng was the most creative player on the field. Niall McDermott had a good game too.

Happy with the win and hopefully it will give the team back a bit of confidence. Big problem is the full forward line - as I feared Givney was completely out of the game and Jack struggled too - although he did kick a few nice scores. Gearoid looked to be coming back to match fitness.

Will need a big improvement for the next round but at least we are in the next round.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Yeah agree with that - how many times has Gilsenan done that though - its a regular thing getting penalised for stupid time wasting and then having brain farts. His kick outs were a lot better today and he did make a good save just before Cavan got their goal.

McEnroe had a great game, as did Argue and Lyng was the most creative player on the field. Niall McDermott had a good game too.

Happy with the win and hopefully it will give the team back a bit of confidence. Big problem is the full forward line - as I feared Givney was completely out of the game and Jack struggled too - although he did kick a few nice scores. Gearoid looked to be coming back to match fitness.

Will need a big improvement for the next round but at least we are in the next round.

Did he time waste though? From my view, he was kicking a spare ball off the pitch because the ballboy had the ball that had just been kicked wide ready for him?

It wasn't just him with the messing in the backline. Rory Dunne, Mackey and others got caught out needlessly. In fairness, the times Westmeath troubled us were mainly down to our own individual errors.

What exactly happened for the goal? I missed it but a few were saying to me it was soft.

The good thing is that the strength of the panel was shown. The four players who came in - Hayes, Maloney Dernham, Argue and Lyng - were some of our better performers I thought.

The big disappointment is that we allowed them back into it. 7 points up with 13 minutes left and we only win by a point. We certainly don't make things easy.

The two man full forward line is too isolated for me. We play as a team without any half forwards. We need somebody up there supporting our forwards.

We're into the next round and I'd hope to avoid Monaghan/Armagh in the draw on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

People on here must be pleased with the result.

Up Cavan!

Did he time waste though? From my view, he was kicking a spare ball off the pitch because the ballboy had the ball that had just been kicked wide ready for him?

It wasn't just him with the messing in the backline. Rory Dunne, Mackey and others got caught out needlessly. In fairness, the times Westmeath troubled us were mainly down to our own individual errors.

What exactly happened for the goal? I missed it but a few were saying to me it was soft.

The good thing is that the strength of the panel was shown. The four players who came in - Hayes, Maloney Dernham, Argue and Lyng - were some of our better performers I thought.

The big disappointment is that we allowed them back into it. 7 points up with 13 minutes left and we only win by a point. We certainly don't make things easy.

The two man full forward line is too isolated for me. We play as a team without any half forwards. We need somebody up there supporting our forwards.

We're into the next round and I'd hope to avoid Monaghan/Armagh in the draw on Monday.

Sorry only seeing this now - busy day!! Goal was a result of a pass to a free man standing on the edge of the square. Both the pass and the catch from the man inside were completely unchallenged and Cavan were asleep.

Re Gilsenan - he has form in the time wasting department and has nearly cost up a few times now but yeah he wasn't the only one messing in the back line yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

We have been drawn against Roscommon in breffni, time and date tbc

It's a home draw which is a big plus. Roscommon will be very very tough to beat and will be full of confidence but looking forward to the game already.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    It's a home draw which is a big plus. Roscommon will be very very tough to beat and will be full of confidence but looking forward to the game already.

I would have preferred Clare of course but I'd take Roscommon over Kildare or Monaghan/Armagh to be honest - Monaghan/Armagh because it'd be another tough all Ulster tie and Kildare because there's too much baggage with the fixture.

Roscommon will be tough. I can't see Mackey or Keating being fit for that game. Givney doesn't look like a full forward but he did okay I thought. Better than Jack Brady who is offering little at the minute IMO. A couple of nice points can't paper over the fact that he showed very little movement on Saturday.

We're missing at least six from last year (Ronan Flanagan, Dara McVeety, Killian Clarke, Martin Dunne, Cian Mackey & Eugene Keating) and while we do have strength in depth, the problem is that four of that six were our four Ulster All Stars last year and the fifth (Flanagan) is easily our most experienced player.

The one good thing is that the lads who came in played well. I wouldn't be surprised to see no changes to the starting 15 come two weeks. Jack may not have offered much but with Tierney and Dunne injured we haven't many capable of playing corner forward at this level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

not really the draw we wanted the way we are playing at minute whereas roscommon should be full of confidence after running mayo so close

i suppose we'll have to hope for best

I'm hearing there's a good chance of our game next week being televised. RTE are due to show a qualifier on Saturday and it appears that both the Kildare Down and Monaghan/Armagh vs Tyrone games will be moved to the 13th due to the annual marches in NI.

Anyone know of this is true? I'd prefer to keep the TV cameras away tbh. The less chance Brolly has to vent his vendetta the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Hopefully there's cameras. It will only reduce the home advantage by thinning the herd a little ;)

Syferus wrote: »
    Hopefully there's cameras. It will only reduce the home advantage by thinning the herd a little ;)

The Celt reckon it is going to be another annoying afternoon throw in. I'm hoping by afternoon they mean at least 5!!

The Celt reckon it is going to be another annoying afternoon throw in. I'm hoping by afternoon they mean at least 5!!

The word on the grapevine is 3pm. Really don't want any latter with the WC final on that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

The word on the grapevine is 3pm. Really don't want any latter with the WC final on that evening.
    World cup final is on Sunday night 13th.

World cup final is on Sunday night 13th.

No rush coming back so!

I want it later. I've a function to attend at 2. Will only make the second half if I'm lucky if its at 3.

I want it later. I've a function to attend at 2. Will only make the second half if I'm lucky if its at 3.

With the WC not on I don't mind if it's 3 or 5 but I hope it's not 7 because we have a Connacht minor final at 12pm on Sunday in Castlebar. RTE and Sky have a qualifier to show on Saturday so if it's live it can only be 5 or 7.

With the WC not on I don't mind if it's 3 or 5 but I hope it's not 7 because we have a Connacht minor final at 12pm on Sunday in Castlebar. RTE and Sky have a qualifier to show on Saturday so if it's live it can only be 5 or 7.

The WC third place play off will be on but not until 9.

• Advertisement

The WC third place play off will be on but not until 9.

Like RTE, I don't take the 3rd Place Play-Off seriously :pac:

Might record it just to watch the Apres Match analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Game will not be live on rte or sky. Tipp v Offaly & Wexford v Clare on rte/ sky. Maybe if the clare/wexford game was not a draw, they would show Cavan v ros. With the 12th, Tyrone v Armagh will be on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

from county board facebook
    "Cavan v Roscommon All Ireland Qualifier has been fixed for this Saturday 12th July at 6pm in Kingspan Breffni Park."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

from county board facebook
    "Cavan v Roscommon All Ireland Qualifier has been fixed for this Saturday 12th July at 6pm in Kingspan Breffni Park."

That isn't bad would have suited better at 7 but alot better than 3.

celt262 wrote: »
    That isn't bad would have suited better at 7 but alot better than 3.

Yep, 6 is a grand time. Suits me anyway. Town will be alot quieter then.

The team was released on the Thursday before the last qualifier so we might see an announcement tomorrow.

I'd expect Fergal Flanagan to regain his place, possibly at the expense of Killian Brady. Other than that, I can't see any changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

I'd drop Joshua Hayes before gunner, Hayes looked lost against Westmeath.

tanko wrote: »
    I'd drop Joshua Hayes before gunner, Hayes looked lost against Westmeath.

I thought Hayes did alright. He's better in the corner than half back line anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

The team was released on the Thursday before the last qualifier so we might see an announcement tomorrow.

I'd expect Fergal Flanagan to regain his place, possibly at the expense of Killian Brady. Other than that, I can't see any changes.

spot on , flanagan in and brady out , also givney out and keating in

• Advertisement

cavan4sam wrote: »
    spot on , flanagan in and brady out , also givney out and keating in

Yep, full team.

Conor Gilsenan; Jason McLoughlin, Rory Dunne, Feargal Flanagan; Joshua Hayes, James McEnroe, Robert Maloney-Derham; Damien O'Reilly, Gearoid McKiernan; Michael Argue, Michael Lyng, Niall McDermott; Jack Brady, Eugene Keating, Martin Reilly.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Givney in yet.

Advertisement