Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

celt262 wrote: »
    I'm not wasting any more time going around in circles with one of Terry Hylands fan boys.

The whole forum must be fan boys so because not one person supported your opinions here all day.

So then you decided to go to other forums and pull as many negative keyboard warrior responses as you could.

Peddle your vendetta against Hyland elsewhere. Interesting to see you didn't deny being part of the anti Terry brigade when I mentioned it earlier.

Nib wrote: »
    Great to see this place is still active even though Cavan won't play a competitive game for 7 months.

Bring back Seanie!

We've a junior All Ireland semi final to play in Edinburgh yet.

Not to mention our U16s in the final of the Gerry Reilly tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Lemlin wrote: »
    We've a junior All Ireland semi final to play in Edinburgh yet.

Not to mention our U16s in the final of the Gerry Reilly tournament.
    Great stuff.

Junior and U16 competitions is what it's all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Well hello all. I feel like ive just wandered into someone elses house. Just wanted to let Lemlin know that I am not a typical negative contributor regarding terry hyland. In fact I think he should get the cavan equivalent of a knighthood. However, there was something seriously wrong on Saturday and its more than injuries. I think it boils down to this. Cavan need to develop their tactics Radically but the question is can Terry oversee this or is someone else going to do it. Terry has put these tactics in place for 5 u21 teams and his senior team, can he change now. I'm not being negative but the right decision needs to be made for Cavan. I'm undecided myself but I would like to hear Terry admit that the tactics are not right and need work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Has seanie johnston returned to the cavan setup? Never paid any attention to him when he left the kildare camp tbh thought this best place to ask

• Advertisement

Has seanie johnston returned to the cavan setup? Never paid any attention to him when he left the kildare camp tbh thought this best place to ask

No.

No.
    has he attempted to get back on county team? Crazy what he did with looking for the move and screwing teammate s over and when didnt work out for him he went back to gaels. Surely someone must have tried to discuss the madness in all before he moved

has he attempted to get back on county team? Crazy what he did with looking for the move and screwing teammate s over and when didnt work out for him he went back to gaels. Surely someone must have tried to discuss the madness in all before he moved

I've never read an article where it was stated he looked for the move. I have read articles where Shane Supple says he was approached by Kildare so I'd imagine Johnston was also approached though.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/supple-rejected-kildare-182574.html

As for "discussing the madness", the Cavan setup had no involvement with Johnston when he left. He had been informed by letter and phone call that the panel was disbanded and he wasn't required.

I'm not sure why you and another Kildare poster have decided to suddenly come onto the Cavan thread and bring this up tbh.

Cavan got further last year without Johnston than we ever did with him so it appears the move was more than justified.

Here's a video of Seanie the last time he left Breffni:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ-_wK2VUkk

I'm surprised after such a showing of support, your county has forgotten him so quickly. You weren't at the game that day but the chant throughout from the Kildare supporters was "Seanie is a Lily" and, as if that didn't drive it home enough, they had a large banner spelling out same.

From what I hear the Cavan management and panel are happy to leave Seanie as a Lily. You'd have to ask the man himself why he chose to move back to the Gaels and make himself in eligible for Kildare. I know you did once post on this forum that you expected him to be "key" to the Kildare setup.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Given certain history between posters here, we'll be keeping a close eye on the thread - anything that is half a step over the line will be dealt with accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Well well well
    what madness is going on here ?
    we lose a game and ye all start tearing lumps out of each other. Pity our footballers didnt show as much fight on Saturday.
    I didn't get to the game but as most of ye know I'm not a fan of the backwards game but would love to see hyland stay and change things around a bit .
    we probably punched above our weight last year and this year expectations were too high.
    Give these lads a break a lot of them have been playing too much football to sustain the intensity the backwards game requires.
    We all enjoyed the good run last year so we have to sit tight and hope that we can revert back to playing a decent style of football next year and not concede big scores
    we will have better days again
    I dont think its any benefit to change manager. Although it may be no harm to change the backroom team around a little

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Well well well
    what madness is going on here ?
    we lose a game and ye all start tearing lumps out of each other. Pity our footballers didnt show as much fight on Saturday.
    I didn't get to the game but as most of ye know I'm not a fan of the backwards game but would love to see hyland stay and change things around a bit .
    we probably punched above our weight last year and this year expectations were too high.
    Give these lads a break a lot of them have been playing too much football to sustain the intensity the backwards game requires.
    We all enjoyed the good run last year so we have to sit tight and hope that we can revert back to playing a decent style of football next year and not concede big scores
    we will have better days again
    I dont think its any benefit to change manager. Although it may be no harm to change the backroom team around a little

I've never read an article where it was stated he looked for the move. I have read articles where Shane Supple says he was approached by Kildare so I'd imagine Johnston was also approached though.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/supple-rejected-kildare-182574.html

As for "discussing the madness", the Cavan setup had no involvement with Johnston when he left. He had been informed by letter and phone call that the panel was disbanded and he wasn't required.

I'm not sure why you and another Kildare poster have decided to suddenly come onto the Cavan thread and bring this up tbh.

Cavan got further last year without Johnston than we ever did with him so it appears the move was more than justified.

Here's a video of Seanie the last time he left Breffni:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ-_wK2VUkk

I'm surprised after such a showing of support, your county has forgotten him so quickly. You weren't at the game that day but the chant throughout from the Kildare supporters was "Seanie is a Lily" and, as if that didn't drive it home enough, they had a large banner spelling out same.

From what I hear the Cavan management and panel are happy to leave Seanie as a Lily. You'd have to ask the man himself why he chose to move back to the Gaels and make himself in eligible for Kildare. I know you did once post on this forum that you expected him to be "key" to the Kildare setup.
    i did think he could play a role ill admit that. Something makes me think supple was trying to get himself noticed tbh as a 3rd choice keeper. I seriously question supples claims as kildare have not had gk troubles but im not saying it didnt happen.I seen the highlights of that game and that banner was cringeworthy ill admit. Tbh i seen that other comment re johnston and just wanted to see what the lad was doing these days no offense meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

I dont think the management needs to change, but the tactics definitely do.

We have a poor forward line, and the service to it was very slow on Sat night. The loss of Mackey cannot be underestimated. He is the only player we have that can move the ball at speed, and carry it through tackles.

But in short, the limited forwards we have need better and quicker service. If we had the Gooch and O'Donoghue in our ff line on Sat we still would have lost due to lack of service, and slow laborious build up.

For me Terry doesnt have to go, but himself, Fordie and whoever else comes up with gameplans need to improve their ideas and speed up our play

i did think he could play a role ill admit that. Something makes me think supple was trying to get himself noticed tbh as a 3rd choice keeper. I seriously question supples claims as kildare have not had gk troubles but im not saying it didnt happen.I seen the highlights of that game and that banner was cringeworthy ill admit. Tbh i seen that other comment re johnston and just wanted to see what the lad was doing these days no offense meant.

I was at the Dublin Kildare game last year and I thought the Kildare 'keeper was poor. He made a number of questionable decisions. Have Kildare not been rotating between two 'keepers? Either way, nobody from Kildare disputed Supple's claims at any stage so I'd believe them to be fact.
    I dont think the management needs to change, but the tactics definitely do.

We have a poor forward line, and the service to it was very slow on Sat night. The loss of Mackey cannot be underestimated. He is the only player we have that can move the ball at speed, and carry it through tackles.

But in short, the limited forwards we have need better and quicker service. If we had the Gooch and O'Donoghue in our ff line on Sat we still would have lost due to lack of service, and slow laborious build up.

For me Terry doesnt have to go, but himself, Fordie and whoever else comes up with gameplans need to improve their ideas and speed up our play

I'd like to see someone come in to work on our attacking play and I think that seems to be the common opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

I was at the Dublin Kildare game last year and I thought the Kildare 'keeper was poor. He made a number of questionable decisions. Have Kildare not been rotating between two 'keepers? Either way, nobody from Kildare disputed Supple's claims at any stage so I'd believe them to be fact.

I remember McGeeney disputing Supple's story with John Fogarty who was the journalist who ran with that story after a league game up in Clones. I'm not certain whether I would take McGeeney's word as gospel but it's well known that he had issues with that journalist for whatever reason.

Funny that the people that brought the Seanie is a Lily banner actually misspelled Lily!

Cavan will come good eventually. There's too much young talent for them not to progress further in the coming years. Whoever is Cavan's manager next year would be nuts to recall Johnston and potentially upset the harmony of their panel. Division 2 football will really help Cavan come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

Cavan will come good eventually. There's too much young talent for them not to progress further in the coming years. Whoever is Cavan's manager next year would be nuts to recall Johnston and potentially upset the harmony of their panel. Division 2 football will really help Cavan come on.

If they can be let play a bit of football things will hopefully improve for next year. Apparently the players are fed up with the negative dire football so we will have to see changes or there will be problems next year.

If they can be let play a bit of football things will hopefully improve for next year. Apparently the players are fed up with the negative dire football so we will have to see changes or there will be problems next year.

"Apparently" according to you David Givney was kicked off the panel earlier in the year too but that was complete and utter crap.

"Apparently" according to you Cian Mackey walked off the panel last week but the truth is he has an injury that will keep him out 3 months.

You continue to try and vent that vendetta all you like though. There's plenty here to give the true feelings within the county. Not one poster above has supported your attacks on the management.

Anyone know when club championships are starting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Apparently the players are fed up with the negative dire football so we will have to see changes or there will be problems next year.

Absolute nonsense - the players have bought into the system and back Terry Hyland 100%.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense - the players have bought into the system and back Terry Hyland 100%.

Can you vouch for the entire panel of 35+.

I spoke to two on Saturday night who fed up of the whole thing but i suppose that's a bit negative for me to post so will get shot down straight away.

Watch this space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

Boom__Boom wrote: »

There are 4 teams left in the Championship rom the 16 teams who played Division 3 and Division 4 football this year and it's fair to say all 4 have benefited from kind draws. The only game any of these 4 teams have won against Division 1 or Division 2 teams, is Tipperary's game at home versus Laois.
    Tipperary were away to Laois

Can you vouch for the entire panel of 35+.

I spoke to two on Saturday night who fed up of the whole thing but i suppose that's a bit negative for me to post so will get shot down straight away.

Watch this space.

Are they the same lads that told you Givney had been kicked off the panel and that Mackey had walked? I'd be looking for new sources tbh.

Your posts aren't getting shot down because they are negative btw. They are getting shot down because they are ludicrous.

First off you tried to state Cavan football is as low as it ever was. Then you tried to attack the management team, a team that have delivered for the first time in years. You then continued to contradict your own points by stating one minute we hadn't the players yet it was the managers fault the next. The manager can do nothing if we haven't the players as others pointed out.

Now you're throwing out the old fabled 'mystery panel or team member' that we see so many keyboard warriors attempt. Perhaps people might give it a smidgen of credence if you hadn't been called out for spouting false information before.

Its like a broken record in here I hope Mr Hyland gets on well on the rest of his time as Cavan manager.

I think one person in particular needs to maybe relax. I will be back on in a few weeks im off to the south of France for a few weeks.

Its like a broken record in here I hope Mr Hyland gets on well on the rest of his time as Cavan manager.

I think one person in particular needs to maybe relax. I will be back on in a few weeks im off to the south of France for a few weeks.

You can't post ridiculous statements and false rumours and not expect them to be questioned.

Interesting that you run to the hills rather than respond. I'll leave people to draw their own conclusions.

Try and knock some of that chip off your shoulder while you're away.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mylestheslasher

"Mr Hyland"
    Where did I read that before?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Lads seriously the fractious posting has to stop, there's been a mod warning already today. You can take it there will be a few more people going on holidays if it continues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

I too have heard the rumble about players feeling restricted by the system. Its always the kind of thing you hear when things aren't going so well. For the moment I would continue to support the management but at the same time they should be held accountable for the poor championship campaign. Like every other walk of life they should report on what they felt went wrong and how they plan to address it.

Of course when I say report I mean to the relevant stakeholders are board and developmental level.

The work done in the county to date has been immense, the national media are a lazy bunch and they will tailor their story to fit what they think the public want to consume on a whole so they should be ignored. I fully believe that the plan would have had provision for making us competitive (playing defensive football) while we develop the players. It should only be a step along the way. There will be hitches along the way and players and management should be accountable at all times but that said there is no need to throw the baby out with the bath water either. They all could probably do with a break, let them tear strips out of each other in the club championship and then let them winter well, come back hungry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Read in Oísin McConville's article today that Cavan have 2 league's - 1 with county players and one without - How does this work?

Anyone know when club championships are starting?

Friday week as far as I know

• Advertisement

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Read in Oísin McConville's article today that Cavan have 2 league's - 1 with county players and one without - How does this work?

Basically Divisions of about 9/10 teams for each league. (basically Div 1, and 3) The same teams are in the county players league and non county players league. Non County players League is effectively challenge matches, to give club players competitive games when County players are unavailable.

The League with County Players has promotion and relegation, the other does not.

So if say Ramor and Cavan Gaels are in the same Division, and they play in Terry Coyle in the main league, they play in Ramor in the second league in Ramor.

Thats the jist of it....if that makes sense

Advertisement