Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

celt262 wrote: »
    I heard McHugh was interested.

McHugh is very close to Hyland so i couldn't see him replacing him even if he were offered the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Tom Joad wrote: »
    If he gets the job I will wear a Meath jersey for a month and sign every post I make on Boards with An Mhí Abú for a month.

He has the backing of some well connected individuals in the county who would be part of the anti Hyland brigade.

Hammar wrote: »
    McHugh is very close to Hyland so i couldn't see him replacing him even if he were offered the chance.

Why do you think that? I'd never heard they were close.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

Who is in this anti-hyland brigade you talk about so much?

Who is in this anti-hyland brigade you talk about so much?

People who don't like Terry Hyland.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Lemlin wrote: »

Why do you think that? I'd never heard they were close.

It's well enough known around these parts Lemlin,McHugh would be a regular visitor to Hyland's Hardware in Ballyhaise. He is good pals with Terry.
    When Hyland eventually does leave,hopefully in a number of years after much success,surely Peter Reily would be next in line,if he wanted it?

• Advertisement

Hammar wrote: »
    It's well enough known around these parts Lemlin,McHugh would be a regular visitor to Hyland's Hardware in Ballyhaise. He is good pals with Terry.
    When Hyland eventually does leave,hopefully in a number of years after much success,surely Peter Reily would be next in line,if he wanted it?

I don't know to be honest. We've our best bunch of players in a long time and another few coming through.

I wouldn't mind seeing in 2016 when Terry's tenure is due to be over what an experienced manager could do with them.

We've quite a good location as a county being only an hour from Dublin and a good bit of Ulster so we should be able to attract top class management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Heard at Christmas that they was a "group" for want of a better word that wanted Dermot McCabe installed as the next manager

In other news, silverware up for grabs on Sat. Castlerahan, less Mackey v Drumgoon for the Mickey Mouse League. Should be a competitive affair, just a week before Championship starts

Heard at Christmas that they was a "group" for want of a better word that wanted Dermot McCabe installed as the next manager

In other news, silverware up for grabs on Sat. Castlerahan, less Mackey v Drumgoon for the Mickey Mouse League. Should be a competitive affair, just a week before Championship starts

And Flanagan who is gone travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Are people serious - McCabe! Did anyone see the mess he made of our minors this year. Neanderthal stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

what happened with the minors this year?

• Advertisement

willabur wrote: »
    what happened with the minors this year?

Hammered in the first round of the championship by Armagh. Word has it McCabe tried to take over and made a mess of things tactically. I also heard he left the players with little or no confidence.

I wasn't at the game so can't really comment in whether that is true but that's what I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

He was in charge, tactics consisted of lumping on top of a full forward who was outnumbered often by 4/5 players, completely bypassing arguably some of the most talented players we have had at this level, who in the main were played out of position.

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Are people serious - McCabe! Did anyone see the mess he made of our minors this year. Neanderthal stuff.

It was a well known publican making the claims at the time.

In other news, Castlerahan won the Breffni League convincingly on Sat nite without Mackey or Flanagan. Drumgoon very poor, and Moynagh wasnt playing for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

It was a well known publican making the claims at the time.

In other news, Castlerahan won the Breffni League convincingly on Sat nite without Mackey or Flanagan. Drumgoon very poor, and Moynagh wasnt playing for some reason

Moynagh went to New York before Roscommon game. Mackey trying to get fit for club so walked of panel before it too.

Moynagh went to New York before Roscommon game. Mackey trying to get fit for club so walked of panel before it too.

Mackey has been playing and training with the aid of painkillers since after the League Final with Roscommon. He wont be fit until next season, so to say he walked off the Panel is harsh. Painkillers are ok for one off matches but not for 3 months solid, and the decision should have been taken out of his hands.

And if he plays in this years Club Championship, it will be another patch up job

Mackey has been playing and training with the aid of painkillers since after the League Final with Roscommon. He wont be fit until next season, so to say he walked off the Panel is harsh. Painkillers are ok for one off matches but not for 3 months solid, and the decision should have been taken out of his hands.

And if he plays in this years Club Championship, it will be another patch up job

He needs a good rest. This craic of rushing players back has to stop.

I was told that Mackey won't be back for three months and cleared it with management.

Walked is harsh. What I meant was he told Terry he didn't want to be considered for County selection and is trying to see if he can play any role in club championship.

Moynagh did walk though. Disillusioned with team selections.

Any thoughts on Senior Champ? Kingscourt for me. Gaels close second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Walked is harsh. What I meant was he told Terry he didn't want to be considered for County selection and is trying to see if he can play any role in club championship.

Kingscourt for me will be there or thereabouts but lack the firepower in the forward line to win it. I know they destroyed the Gaels yesterday but wouldn't read too much into that.
    Gaels and Mullahoran will be two to beat imo. Not much after that.

Is Martin Reilly out injured? - without him I wouldn't fancy killygarry to do much, same as with Castlerahan without Mackey/ Flanagan. Ballinagh won't be able to reach the heights of last year. Ramor - not sure they always seem to flatter to decieve.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Kingscourt for me will be there or thereabouts but lack the firepower in the forward line to win it. I know they destroyed the Gaels yesterday but wouldn't read too much into that.
    Gaels and Mullahoran will be two to beat imo. Not much after that.

Is Martin Reilly out injured? - without him I wouldn't fancy killygarry to do much, same as with Castlerahan without Mackey/ Flanagan. Ballinagh won't be able to reach the heights of last year. Ramor - not sure they always seem to flatter to decieve.

Martin Reilly got a broken jaw against Roscommon. It occured in the first half and he played most of the game with it.

He's been ruled out for at least six weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Doubt if Moynagh walked given that he posted on twitter about how disappointed he was after the Roscommon game and referred to himself as part of the team.

Himself Jack Brady and the Gunner are out in Chicago, not sure if it's for the summer or not.

• Advertisement

Doubt if Moynagh walked given that he posted on twitter about how disappointed he was after the Roscommon game and referred to himself as part of the team.

Himself Jack Brady and the Gunner are out in Chicago, not sure if it's for the summer or not.

Yeah but he was already gone before Roscommon game.

Yeah but he was already gone before Roscommon game.

Just because he was gone doesn't mean he "walked" as it is put. Just like another forum member trying to state Mackey "walked" previously.

People can clear it with management that they need time out.

If Moynagh was disllusioned with team selections, I'd be questioning his attitude. He only joined the senior setup after the U21 championship. There are lads there far longer than him due a chance. He could also learn to stop picking up black cards.

A good few players have left panel by their own choice this year.

Alan O'Mara
    Killian Clarke
    Dara McVetty
    Declan McKiernan
    Conor Moynagh
    Cian Mackey

Is there anymore?

Hope that drain doesn't continue going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

<SNIP> Trolling

A good few players have left panel by their own choice this year.

Alan O'Mara
    Killian Clarke
    Dara McVetty
    Declan McKiernan
    Conor Moynagh
    Cian Mackey

Is there anymore?

Hope that drain doesn't continue going forward.

I think you're being hugely disingenuous here. Clarke and McVetty both met with management and explained their wish to travel as they have finished college and it's their last chance to. Both will be back in the panel next year.

Alan O'Mara and Mackey have taken time out due to injury. Again, this was discussed with management.

I'm not sure what the story is with McKiernan but him leaving wouldn't trouble me. He was providing cover for midfield last year and this year Argue and Mooney are both available. My understanding was McKiernan had been dropped from the panel though.

No matter what the excuse is it is not good to have lads leaving the panel.

No matter what the excuse is it is not good to have lads leaving the panel.

Cavan are using a panel of 45 to 50 lads. You are going to have lads slip away with injuries/travelling etc. Its part and parcel of every panel. Robert Maloney Dernham was away with his studies last year but is back in now. Niall Smith missing through injury. They are examples of regular comings and goings.

You forgot to mention Ronan Flanagan who is also unavailable this year for reasons outside of football.

Trying to paint a picture that these lads "left the panel by their own choice" is disingenuous and you know yourself it is. Sometimes circumstance dictates an action which otherwise would not have been taken.

Just saying its not good and can't be good for team moral if you don't accept it's that fine but I have a different view.

Just saying its not good and can't be good for team moral if you don't accept it's that fine but I have a different view.

So why not outline your view rather than posting one line snippets? You obviously have reasons for thinking this.

IMO the information you have posted above is incorrect, false and disingenuous so where's your proof to back it up?

You have posted incorrect information in the past (info re Oisin Minagh, that David Givney was dropped from the panel and about Mackey walking from the panel) so I feel I'm well within my rights to question what you post given your past.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »
    IMO the information you have posted above is incorrect, false and disingenuous so where's your proof to back it up?

Yes in your opinion.

Advertisement