Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Mountnugent have been decimated by emigration,so i'm told.
    The scoreline would have been much greater also,only our lads started fisting balls over the bar when we broke through their backline in groups for the last 5/6 scores. Mountnugent need to get back down into the Junior championship and regroup because they have some very young players with some talent,but they don't need beatings like this. That game done us no favours either. It's hard to know where we are at after a game like that.
    What happened Kill though? I thought they would put it up to Belturbet.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Hammar wrote: »
    What happened Kill though? I thought they would put it up to Belturbet.

They wrre missing 6 players from the junior fonal last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

manutd wrote: »
    Games played in IFC tonight
    Ballyhaise 3-23 (32) Mountnugent 0-3

Belturbet 8-11 (35) Kill 0-8

Not good for Cavan club football.

Mountnugent a junior club. That's the problem getting promoted without actually winning a championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Juniors had a comfortable 1-17 to 0-6 win in the Junior semi-final. Cavan will play Kerry in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Well done to Cootehill Celtic Hurling club on winning the senior county title for the first time in nearly 50 years. The final score was Cootehill 5-07 Ballymachugh 1-6......Josh Crowe was man of the match and probably was the first day too....wasnt as good a game as the drawn game but worth waiting for.....well done to both teams today..:)

• Advertisement

muincav wrote: »
    Well done to Cootehill Celtic Hurling club on winning the senior county title for the first time in nearly 50 years. The final score was Cootehill 5-07 Ballymachugh 1-6......Josh Crowe was man of the match and probably was the first day too....wasnt as good a game as the drawn game but worth waiting for.....well done to both teams today..:)

Heard good things were happening with hurling around Cootehill so nice to see reward for that. Have to confess that I didn't follow the championship too closely - how many teams are in it now? Who beat Woodford and Mullahoran this year?

Only 3 teams on a round robin, Cootehill beat Mullahoran, Ballymachugh beat cootehill and Mullahoran beat Ballymachugh...but Cootehill and Ballymachugh had better points diff so went to final....Cootehill really should have won it first day out with Ballymachugh finishing with 12 men and Cootehill had been up by 8 at one stage but they just stopped playing and a last min penalty made a draw, but with the suspensions from the sendings off and a few injuries it never looked like Ballymahugh would win it and that could be their last chance for a while...Cootehill have a very young team and a lot more young lads coming through so they could be there for a few years if they keep most of them together....Last year Mullahoran were physically too strong for the young lads but its speed and skill that will stand to them now....Great to watch when its played well....hard luck to Ballymachugh who gave it their all over the 2 games..

Big weekend in the senior championship with Lavey beating Mullahoran which was a bit of a surprise. Ballinagh lost to Cuchullains 0-15 to 1-16. Castlerahan beat Drumalee by a point. Of course the game I went to was Kingscourt beat Redhills by 2-11 to 1-4 - Redhills only scored once in the second half - game highlighted the gulf between the top senior teams and the rest.

Draw for next round is as follows (in bold my predictions) - Castlerahan v Ramor looks to be the pick of the games imo.

Hotel Kilmore Round 2A SFC Championship:
    Castlerahan v Ramor Utd
    Kingscourt v Crosserlough
    Lacken v Lavey
    Cuchullains v Cavan Gaels

Hotel Kilmore Round 2B SFC Championship
    Drumalee v Killygarry
    Denn v Ballinagh
    Redhills v Gowna
    Drumgoon v Mullahoran

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Congratulations Cavan, All-Ireland Junior Champions on a scoreline of 2-14 to Kerry's 0-14.

Well done to all the lads-great achievement...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Well Done to All involved .. they probably won't get the recognition they deserve but in cavan All Ireland medals aren't exactly bursting out of the trophy cabinet .
    A bit surprising to hear kerry a had more support than us
    We may have a few lads able for the step up . Tom Hayes and Buchanann seemed to impress particularly
    Good to hear Conor Moynagh is back too and played well

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Well Done to All involved .. they probably won't get the recognition they deserve but in cavan All Ireland medals aren't exactly bursting out of the trophy cabinet .
    A bit surprising to hear kerry a had more support than us
    We may have a few lads able for the step up . Tom Hayes and Buchanann seemed to impress particularly
    Good to hear Conor Moynagh is back too and played well

Kerry would have had a lot of support from those on way to Dublin for today's game. See the forwards getting a lot of praise but Damien Barkey and Fergal Reilly done great jobs on the danger men plus other backs were class. Ciaran Brady man of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Tasty replay in Breffni tonight. Ramor v Castlerahan at 8:15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

Tasty replay in Breffni tonight. Ramor v Castlerahan at 8:15

Was at the first game. Ramor looked like they were going to blitz Castlerahen. Playing with the wind but even aside from that they looked like a much better outfit. As soon as they got their goal they took their foot off the pedal big time. What started out as a fast, good quality game quickly descended into a mistake ridden contest, fair enough the weather was despicable .

Would imagine Ramor won't be caught so easily this time. Can see them winning this by 5 or 6 if their heads are right

willabur wrote: »
    Was at the first game. Ramor looked like they were going to blitz Castlerahen. Playing with the wind but even aside from that they looked like a much better outfit. As soon as they got their goal they took their foot off the pedal big time. What started out as a fast, good quality game quickly descended into a mistake ridden contest, fair enough the weather was despicable .

Would imagine Ramor won't be caught so easily this time. Can see them winning this by 5 or 6 if their heads are right

Do you not think the return of Mackey Ronan Flanagan and Sean Brady for Castlerahan will have an influence? Minutes on the clock for all 3 is surely a bonus for Castlerahan>
    Factor in Joe McQuillan also and anything could happen. Will be tight again, and wouldnt rule out extra time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

Do you not think the return of Mackey Ronan Flanagan and Sean Brady for Castlerahan will have an influence? Minutes on the clock for all 3 is surely a bonus for Castlerahan>
    Factor in Joe McQuillan also and anything could happen. Will be tight again, and wouldnt rule out extra time

Mackey and Flanagan came on the other day. Mackey is a pure talent but he is a shadow of his potential due to his injury. I think he would be better off taking the year off and concentrate on rehabilitation. Flanagan did play well the other evening, the two of them did. For me Ramor were still the better team

Ramor won by a point 1-12 to 2-8 with Castlerahan's second goal the last score. Mackey came on after 9 mins in the second half. Ronan Flanagan black carded and Fergal red carded.

Sounded like a decent match.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Ramor won by a point 1-12 to 2-8 with Castlerahan's second goal the last score. Mackey came on after 9 mins in the second half. Ronan Flanagan black carded and Fergal red carded.

Sounded like a decent match.

Was an excellent game. Lots of serious scores and Ramor the better team. Castlerahan carrying half fit lads and missed three goal chances. Hit crossbar and a unbileveable save from Ramor keeper. Few strange decisions on black cards. Sean Brady dragged to ground none. Jack tackled. Jumps on ground. Black. Inconsistent with the application.

Was an excellent game. Lots of serious scores and Ramor the better team. Castlerahan carrying half fit lads and missed three goal chances. Hit crossbar and a unbileveable save from Ramor keeper. Few strange decisions on black cards. Sean Brady dragged to ground none. Jack tackled. Jumps on ground. Black. Inconsistent with the application.

How did Mackey do? Is he still struggling?

How did Mackey do? Is he still struggling?

Mackey didn't have much of an impact. Didn't get on a lot of ball and still not moving freely.

• Advertisement

Ramor the better team, but Castlerahan will be kicking themselves. O'Connell, McBreen and McGahern all missed goal chances, and no scores resulted. Ronan also had a chance for a lob on the keeper but took his point instead, and Enda missed a handy free late on which was crucial.

But McQuillans black carding was strange. The 3 he gave were in my opinion correct, but he missed at least 2 more from the Ramor side, 1 in each half. From what I heard (I didnt see the alleged striking) he was also fully entitled to send of Flanagan, but Packie on the line missed or ignored a headbutt in an altercation he brought to the referees attention just before the second half throw in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

Have anyone heard anything about Castlerahan appealing after carry on last week and Sunday night.

Read it on hoganstand - I know I know

celt262 wrote: »
    Have anyone heard anything about Castlerahan appealing after carry on last week and Sunday night.

Yeah they appealing. Don't think it's worth their while. Hopefully lessons learned though.

celt262 wrote: »

Heard a few rumours that there might be an appeal but kinda dismissed it but have heard earlier from a fairly reliable source that an appeal has been made. Basically involves breach of the rules about time between matches and the first half was blown up to early (the lights went out) and someone other than the ref signalled the end of the first period of extra time.

All sounds a bit mad to be honest...

Heard a few rumours that there might be an appeal but kinda dismissed it but have heard earlier from a fairly reliable source that an appeal has been made. Basically involves breach of the rules about time between matches and the first half was blown up to early (the lights went out) and someone other than the ref signalled the end of the first period of extra time.

All sounds a bit mad to be honest...

Plus half time in extra time too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

any one hear that the malicous incident with the lights was infact down to a timer,which wud indicate that ET was not planned for

Plus half time in extra time too long.

Any idea if the appeal might win and what would the implications be? there is a replay tomorrow night in Breffni involving Ballinagh (am planning on going to it) - is this in jeopardy now?

Doubt it will win. Tomorrow's game would be as normal I presume. Sundays be affected maybe. Not sure. In Laois they were made restart the whole championship because a team got bye in round two. Against rules. If the appeal is successful could cause a lot of headaches.

hope they dont appeal....didnt deserve to win. Mullahoran are no great shakes but Castlerahan were awful. The reason they lost is due to not taking their chances. Missed penalty and another goal chance that looked easier to score than miss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

they will defo appeal,like every other club wud,very strong case for a replay

Advertisement