Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ENGLISH COMPARATIVE

• 03-03-2011 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME SOME POINTS ON COMPARING THE FOLLOWING ; INSIDE I'M DANCING AND LIES OF SILENCE

THANKS IN ADVANCE :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Uhh, thats quite a general question. I'll just rattle some off that spring to mind..

Inside I'm Dancing
    -Carrigmór (or however its spelt) is ominous, foreboding, oppressive. Even the name shows this "Big rock"
    -Patients are infantilised
    -Michael and Rory are repressed through ignorance (which contrasts with how many miles to babylon in our case, repressed Alec in the army through brutality)
    -Religion plays no role in it
    -Michael is the only one to break free of his Cultural Context and survive (in the case of our texts anyway)
    -Neither (Michael and Rory) have particularly strong bonds with their father
    -No relationship with mother.
    -All the power figures are female. (Siobhán, the women in Carrigmór... etc)
    -Class does not play a role

Lies Of Silence
    -Class plays a role
    -Religion plays a big role
    -Michael tries to break free of his Cultural Context of belfast, but dies in the process.
    -Basically all the power figures are men (You can link this with the IRA's attitude to women)
    -Michael doesn't really have a relationship with his father
    -Michael's actions are restricted through fear

Thats all I can think of on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

PJelly wrote: »
    Uhh, thats quite a general question. I'll just rattle some off that spring to mind..

Inside I'm Dancing
    -Carrigmór (or however its spelt) is ominous, foreboding, oppressive. Even the name shows this "Big rock"
    -Patients are infantilised
    -Michael and Rory are repressed through ignorance (which contrasts with how many miles to babylon in our case, repressed Alec in the army through brutality)
    -Religion plays no role in it
    -Michael is the only one to break free of his Cultural Context and survive (in the case of our texts anyway)
    -Neither (Michael and Rory) have particularly strong bonds with their father
    -No relationship with mother.
    -All the power figures are female. (Siobhán, the women in Carrigmór... etc)
    -Class does not play a role

Lies Of Silence
    -Class plays a role
    -Religion plays a big role
    -Michael tries to break free of his Cultural Context of belfast, but dies in the process.
    -Basically and the power figures are men (You can link this with the IRA's attitude to women)
    -Michael doesn't really have a relationship with his father
    -Michael's actions are restricted through fear

Thats all I can think of on the spot.

DUDE

I THINK I LOVE YOU :eek: LOL thanks a million ... you :eek:probably just saved my leaving cert lmfao ive been thinking 4 fecking ages and thought of nothing ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

How forward of you.
    At least take me to dinner first.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

brownlad wrote: »
    DUDE

I THINK I LOVE YOU :eek: LOL thanks a million ... you :eek:probably just saved my leaving cert lmfao ive been thinking 4 fecking ages and thought of nothing ....

Does your teacher teach you anything ?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

Does your teacher teach you anything ?

nope.. we havent even touchd the comparative :mad: we have been doing single text for the last 4 months! and now poetry:mad: :mad: and half my class is failing ( but i managed an a2 in the mocks :D thanks to the IOE not her )

• Advertisement
Advertisement