Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Project.

• 03-03-2011 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Does anyone have any ideas for a history project?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Don't do Albert Speer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭ConstantJoe

mtb_kng wrote: »
    Don't do Albert Speer.

I'm just curious here, why shouldn't they do Albert Speer?

I'm just curious here, why shouldn't they do Albert Speer?
    I'm doing it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭ConstantJoe

mtb_kng wrote: »
    I'm doing it :D

Crap, me too :p

You're not F'kn' serious are you? You're in Clare too? This conversation never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Muggwoffin

Here's an interesting one I would have done had I known about it before I started mine;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witold_Pilecki

This man volunteered to be imprisoned in Auschwitz so that he could organize a resistance movement within it. Not sure how easy it will be to find sources on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dannnnn

Thanks.

Does anyone know if you can use your project from last year?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Dannnnn wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can use your project from last year?

You mean as in repeating and using an already assessed project? No, you can't.

If you mean a project you completed in 5th yr and have not submitted yet, then yes.

Personally I would steer away from Nazi related stuff, mainly because so many candidates choose it as a topic.

Well I did Horatio Nelson last year, so maybe I should stay on topic relevant to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

If I was doing my one again I would do the Maze Prison escape. Largest ever mass breakout from a British prison, even had escapees hiding in rivers surviving by breathing through reeds.

Or you could do it on the first hunger strike(not much in the book on that if I remember) everyone knows about Bobby Sands hunger strike but much less about the first. Talk about it and say how it laid the foundation for the second 1981 hunger strike. That would be a cool one, Brendan Hughes would be your main source there.

Another suggestion would be to do it on Kevin Barry, a 18 year old student who was the first person executed by the British after they killed the 1916 leaders(Barry attacked some British soldiers and was captured), he is quite a significant and tragic figure, his execution, like that of the 1916 leaders really polarized public opinion.

Another one to to would be the Ballymurphy Massacre, an often overlooked incident.

Moving away from Irish history maybe Gadaffis Libyan revolution would be a good one?

The best thing to do is pick something you are interested in(I like Irish history, thats why I picked most of the above, I would be interested in them) and pick something related to it, that way you wont get bored!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

is it possible to do it on albert speer ? i thought it cant be anything to do with a case study ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    If I was doing my one again I would do the Maze Prison escape. Largest ever mass breakout from a British prison, even had escapees hiding in rivers surviving by breathing through reeds.

Or you could do it on the first hunger strike(not much in the book on that if I remember) everyone knows about Bobby Sands hunger strike but much less about the first. Talk about it and say how it laid the foundation for the second 1981 hunger strike. That would be a cool one, Brendan Hughes would be your main source there.

Another suggestion would be to do it on Kevin Barry, a 18 year old student who was the first person executed by the British after they killed the 1916 leaders(Barry attacked some British soldiers and was captured), he is quite a significant and tragic figure, his execution, like that of the 1916 leaders really polarized public opinion.

Another one to to would be the Ballymurphy Massacre, an often overlooked incident.

Moving away from Irish history maybe Gadaffis Libyan revolution would be a good one?

The best thing to do is pick something you are interested in(I like Irish history, thats why I picked most of the above, I would be interested in them) and pick something related to it, that way you wont get bored!!
    pity i tought of that in september!:p

op your leaving it a bit late to start as theres a good bit of work involved in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

what about soloheadbeg, the ambush that began of the Irish War of Independence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

op your leaving it a bit late to start as theres a good bit of work involved in it

He is grand, I did mine in one weekend.

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    He is grand, I did mine in one weekend.

Indeed, I did mine in 2 days before the due date last year and got an A :)

Might just stick to naval warfare then.

By the way, how far back can you actually go? I mean, I have asked my history teacher a numerous amount of times, and the only answer I received every single time was, "Not too far..", which doesn't provide much clarity.

I found another admiral to do my project about, but he is in his prime during late 1500's.

Another question:

Last year my project was on Horatio Nelson and the main focal point was the Battle of Trafalgar. If I did my project on someone close to Horatio Nelson, say Cuthbert Collingwood, who had achieved nearly the same feats as Nelson, and focussed on another major battle he was involved in, or even the Battle of Trafalgar itself again; would I be penalised for doing such a thing?

This could be seen as lazy, but one must wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

Woah, are you doing it for this year? Cutting it close, arn't you?

Well when I was planning mine, I came up with some other options....
    There was a pow camp in Ireland which held german (and a couple britt) soldiers, but it was totally weird... they could go out during the day, have a job etc.. they just had to be back in the evening. You could compare that to german camps?

Just a suggestion, Or something on emperor Nero.... apparently he was a nut job....

Or something from tudor or regency times? Very few people do that....
    Jack the ripper?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

Dannnnn wrote: »
    I

By the way, how far back can you actually go? I mean, I have asked my history teacher a numerous amount of times, and the only answer I received every single time was, "Not too far..", which doesn't provide much clarity.

You can go back as far as you wish.... stone age if you like. It's only going too close to modern day they put a limit on. This is 1992/1993.

Got my topic sorted.

Going to base it on the same format as my one last year, so hopefully it will only take 1 or 2 days :P

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bonzo-Reborn

I did mine on the burning of Cork when I did mine and it got me a very good grade. Pick anything you literally can not do anything wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They like locally-based research.

Advertisement