Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Road Speed Limits

Options
  • 03-03-2011 10:38pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just noticed speed limit signs on the ring road this evening (I hope they haven't been there for ages), 60kph on the approach to the Dublin Rd. roundabout from Hebron and 50kph after that. I hope this is another temporary measure.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

I think they have been there ages alright.

A few months back it was the same anyway, a complete joke of a set up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

ft9 wrote: »
    I think they have been there ages alright.

A few months back it was the same anyway, a complete joke of a set up.

I know it was there last year and then went up again as I it 100kph for my driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

OK maybe it has changed and changed again since I last noticed, I can't give a definitive answer.

Still though isn't it some joke, chopping and changing speed limits like that. Fair enough if they want to lower it for whatever reason, I have no objection to that, but leave it at that, don't go changing it every few months.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Yeah, I think it'll catch people out also, locals won't be looking out for it and there's one of those speed camera signs there also :mad: Some van is going to make a mint if they're around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

They had 60 kph and 50kph speed limits 100 metres apart at Ormonde Bridge there about a year ago.. then they mysteriously vanished. Haven't seen the new signs but they're probably equally stupid in appointment.

Since we are on the subject of traffic around the town, I would like to renew my prediction that a pedestrian is going to get mown down on the Kells road. There's houses there within walking distance from the town centre. Evidently, this makes their occupants want to walk into town, despite the fact that the road is narrow and twisty and has no footpaths or even soft margins.

Lots of them like to walk it at night while dressed head to toe in black too. I have had a couple of near misses there, at haloween I nearly sent some kids to the graveyard (in the dead centre of the fkin road, for crying out loud!)... just the other night I nearly milled a jogger who was a metre out in the road at twilight with no reflective gear on. I'd say he felt the breeze as I swerved around him.

I don't personally care if certain people are stupid enough to walk on extremely busy narrow roads without proper illumination at night time, it's their loss, but when the situation does occur that a pedestrian and two opposing items of mutually semi-blinded traffic coincide at a particular place and time in the dark (and there's no If about it, its only a matter of time before it does) there will be an innocent motorist implicated in the resulting splattening.

You read it here first kids.

• Advertisement

It is pretty bad there alright, they should've thought about that before they built houses out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

The speed limits from Hebron to Castlecomer roundabouts is still 100 though isn't it? I've never seen the signs between Hebron and Callan Rd roundabouts- will be keeping my eyes open on the way home!!! I really don't fancy any penalty points.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

What about the new traffic lights on the Circular Rd at Robertshill?what a joke...

1 They're very slow to turn green

2 Why couldn't they have just left it as a t-junction?

phkk wrote: »
    What about the new traffic lights on the Circular Rd at Robertshill?what a joke...

Is this where the mini roundabout is/was?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

The soft margin is all pegged out on the ring road between the two roundabouts (Murphy machinery to the B.bridge road) so it's for imminent digging/widening/kerb(dog)ing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Is this where the mini roundabout is/was?

Yeah,that's the place...the sequence of the lights is brutal,as you drive through them,the lights start to turn amber even though there's no car making an exit from Robertshill....peculiar indeed!

The other set of lights down there by the bridge really get my goat, if I'm cycling I have to break the red as they won't change without the weight of a car. If I get knocked down there, I'll be on the war path. How much would it cost them to install a little button for cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

phkk wrote: »

I agree,you sit there waiting for nothing,burning expensive fuel and polluting the atmosphere.
    No point in having a carbon tax if it doesnt make money;)
    At least that smug Ryan plonker is gone.

Advertisement