Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New dog scared to go for walks

• 03-03-2011 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I got a new canine addition (about 1 - 2 years old) to the family from the pound two weeks ago and I'm looking for a bit of advice on how to help her get over a fear of going for walks.
    When I brought her home, she stayed stuck to her bed for a couple of days. She wouldn't go into any other rooms in the house, nor would she go in or out to the back garden of her own volition. She is coming on well around the house now - she plays with us, is affectionate and runs around the place with our existing dog, although she still has quiet moments. She also cowered the whole time at first, and still does this a bit.
    It seems that she has never been on a lead before. I've been working on this in the house, using treats, and she is slowly improving. She still resists a bit but has been quite happy to trot around on the lead when a really yummy treat is involved (although, this does not always work).
    The big wide world is another thing though. I have brought her out to the park next to our house and she is very uncomfortable (it has been quiet when I've taken her). It seems that this is not just a lead issue, and that she is scared of being out in unfamiliar places. When out, she just cowered and would not walk, even with treats on offer.
    I know that time and patience will be a core element in her getting over this, and that it is still early days. However, I would appreciate any tips that anyone may have for dealing with what seems like two issues. Also, would it be an idea to get a professional trainer/behaviourist in at this stage to help us? If so, any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

When we got the first of our two dogs, she was a year & half old, and had obviously never been on a lead or brought for walks (least not in a conventional way).
    We found she didn't like the lead on her collar, so we got a harness and she seemed a bit more comfortable that way. It was just a case of praise for getting ready, then bringing her down the driveway at her own pace and up a few houses & back, with lots of praise.
    We increased the walk length slowly, but obviously the further you go the more things you have to deal with, people, things, cars. She was scared of cars going past so again just reassuring her and not over-reacting to the situation either.
    She got on pretty well fairly quick, she still has the odd quirk (she won't go anywhere that's not her normal route, and she won't go the opposite way around the block).

As you know yourself, patience is the key. Little things like you're doing with putting the lead on and letting her get used to the feel of it (maybe try a harness if you think it'd help) little trips to the end of the front garden/next door and back, slowly aclimatising her to the different things.
    Hopefully others will have advice too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

Do you take her out on her own or with your other dog? Our third dog was about a year old when she came to us and, although she got on well with the other two, she was very nervous around people. We tried taking her for walks on her own but she had to be literally carried out the door and then she sat down and cried. In desperation we took her out with the other two to see if that would give her more confidence and there was no problem at all. She trotted along with them quite happily and has never looked back. It was as if she was afraid that when we took her out on her own she was afraid she was going to be dumped again, but knew that she was safe if her new sisters were with her. She's quite happy to go for walks on her own with us now, on the rare occasions when that's necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

I had thought about a harness myself as she hates any pressure on the collar. Any ideas if a soft vest harness or a nylon one would be considered better?

I'v tried bringing her with our other dog but to no avail. She runs to her bed when she sees him getting ready to go out. I have thought about bringing her out to the park first though and then getting the OH to meet us there with our other guy to see if his appearance perks her up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

Bringing her to the park first and then meeting up with the other dog might be worth trying. Would it be worthwhile getting in touch with a trainer? They might have sugggestions or tips.

Can't help with choice of harness, I'm afraid. I've never used them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I use ones similar to these
    Pet_Harness_Dog_Harness_Pet_Collar_.jpg
    But my dogs are small (Lhasas) and that suits them. I'm not sure what type/size dog you have so you might require a different one to better suit her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Well, we have made a lot of progress this week and the little girl is happily going for walks:D
    Last Friday, I was doing a bit of lead training in the garden and she seemed very eager for the ham I was using (other times, this didn't work). I decided to try her outside the front door so the OH put our other dog on the lead and we all went out very calmly and with no fuss about walkies. Once we were out, she was fine, if a bit slow. We walked around to the park (it's two minutes away) and did a very short walk in there before going home. She is now walking for longer each day and is rarely stopping. She's very interested in everything that goes on when we're out and is bright and alert on the lead. I reckon she's just getting more used to us and is learning that nothing bad is going to happen to her. It's great to see her coming out of her shell, she's gaining confidence in so many ways now!
    BTW, she is a tiny little terrier x

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Jackob

mosi wrote: »
    Well, we have made a lot of progress this week and the little girl is happily going for walks:D
    Last Friday, I was doing a bit of lead training in the garden and she seemed very eager for the ham I was using (other times, this didn't work). I decided to try her outside the front door so the OH put our other dog on the lead and we all went out very calmly and with no fuss about walkies. Once we were out, she was fine, if a bit slow. We walked around to the park (it's two minutes away) and did a very short walk in there before going home. She is now walking for longer each day and is rarely stopping. She's very interested in everything that goes on when we're out and is bright and alert on the lead. I reckon she's just getting more used to us and is learning that nothing bad is going to happen to her. It's great to see her coming out of her shell, she's gaining confidence in so many ways now!
    BTW, she is a tiny little terrier x

Well done OP for being so patient with her!! A true example of perserverance paying off

Advertisement