Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning / disinfecting the litter tray?

• 03-03-2011 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

Quick question:

What is a good (i.e. totally safe for use around cats) cleaning product for cleaning / disinfecting their litter tray?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

I soak all my pet things in milton: 15 mins and it's 100% safe for babies to stick in their mouths :) the chemical in it turns to sodium chloride, ie. table salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

Never thought of Milton. Must get some tomorrow. Ta :)

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

What cat litter do you guys use? I'm using a grainy kind of one (non clump) that I got in Maxi Zoo....its good but tracks everywhere so I am constantly sweeping up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

Catsan, but not the clumping litter. I stopped using clumping litter after reading an article about cats ingesting dust from it (from grooming) and it clumping inside them :eek:

I have their litter tray placed in a large plastic storage box which cuts down on the mess. One of my cats is neat & tidy in the litter tray, the other is an awful scatterer and would destroy the place if it wasn't for the storage box.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Same for me re the clumping stuff, especially for kittens....

I have the covered litter box, as I have the same issue with one of them, kicking it everywhere! :) Its just the litter I use at the moment seems to stick to their paws or something....after a day there is a trail of it coming out from the box. No biggie, but just wondering what people think/recommend.

reason I use the current stuff is that is has a light, talc scent and it is supposed to last for way longer...although I find myself changing it every few days. (Man they poop a lot! :p)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

Milton or stuff you can buy in pet shops for cleaning rabbit cages. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Definitely find that Catsan is the best litter. For some reason, the cats don't seem to spread/kick it as far as the other ones and it's easier to clean up.

Regarding cleaning the tray -some hot water, followed by a quick spray of one of the Dettol multi-surface cleaners and then a good darn rinsing again and a wipe with some kitchen towels to make sure the cleaner is all gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Also avoid leaving a strong odour, so rinse well.. if it smells TOO clean, they may avoid it!

Advertisement