Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLOWER broadband after upgrade?

Options
  • 03-03-2011 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I live in Rush in North Dublin, we were recently upgraded to NGB. Before being upgraded I was on 3MB and it would sync at that all the time, I would get full 3MB speeds (315~ kb/s) bar during peak times.

After "upgrading" it is syncing at all sorts of speeds, .5 MB one minute, 1MB the next. Since the "upgrade" I have been seeing much slower speeds, and have not even gotten the full 3MB I was previously getting.

It is absolutely ridiclous that I am now getting a much worse service after the supposed upgrade and I also will have to pay more for these slower speeds because of the usage limits??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Deaddude wrote: »
    Hi,

I live in Rush in North Dublin, we were recently upgraded to NGB. Before being upgraded I was on 3MB and it would sync at that all the time, I would get full 3MB speeds (315~ kb/s) bar during peak times.

After "upgrading" it is syncing at all sorts of speeds, .5 MB one minute, 1MB the next. Since the "upgrade" I have been seeing much slower speeds, and have not even gotten the full 3MB I was previously getting.

It is absolutely ridiclous that I am now getting a much worse service after the supposed upgrade and I also will have to pay more for these slower speeds because of the usage limits??

Hi Deaddude,

Thanks for contacting eircom on boards

First, if you have not been made aware already, let me advise that you're broadband is classified as being in an amber region. This will have a direct impact on your ability to receive broadband.

*Note: Maximum download speeds cannot be guaranteed, as eircom broadband is Rate Adaptive, i.e. a distance dependant* technology. (*The distance between the modem and the exchange it is connected to.)

Please note that NGB is a FREE upgrade, OF UP TO *8MB, dependent on your location and distance from the eircom exchange. This is outlined on or all our communication re: Next Generationi Broadband. Unfortunately upgrading your local telephone exchange to NGB will not change the distance to your premises.

You are currently synced at 2Mb, but I can see some room for improvement and we can increase this for you (possibly up to 3Mb).

Your connection is also staying solidly connected and I have checked your modem - all appears to be fine.

A test on your phone line reveals that your line is fine also.

In many similar situations your connection may be improved by following the Broadband Checks & Tips below

Troubleshoot slow connections Tips :

In some cases you may find that your broadband connection is not working or running slowly.

*Note: Not all of the following steps may be necessary. Test your connection after each step to see if the issue is resolved.

*Note: Maximum download speeds cannot be guaranteed, as eircom broadband is Rate Adaptive, i.e. a distance dependant* technology. (*The distance between the modem and the exchange it is connected to.) However, if there is a large difference between the speed of your broadband package and the speed test result, here are a few suggestions.

*Note: Upload speeds are not the equal to download speeds. For example, on a broadband connection of 1MBps, the maximum download speed could be approximately 1MB (1024kbps), but the upload speed will be 128kbps. This is the very nature of ADSL (Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line - asymmetric meaning unequal).

* Powercycle the modem:
    o Flick the power switch to the Off position on the back of the modem
    o Wait 30 seconds
    o Switch the modem back On
    o Wait two minutes for the modem to re-connect

* Disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. Remove the splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket. Test the connection speed again.

If you are unsure what we mean by testing your modem on the MDP, please take a look that the following website (URL).

Broadband Checklist - http://bit.ly/aPwvTT

(If any problems opening the above website, please copy & paste the URL into your Internet browser address bar).

Completing the broadband Checklist above will also ensure that you are not accountable for any call out charges if an engineer has to go out to your premises. A call out charge of €150. is only applied if the fault is found to be non-eircom.

Once you have completed the above steps. Please do a speed test on our own speed test website. Your current download speed should be around 1.5Mb (or 150Kb) p.s. If you are still feel you are experiencing slow connection problems, you should contact Broadband Technical Support directly. They will run some quick checks while you are on the phone and can escalate to an engineer if necessary.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall) hrs : 0800 - 22:00.

I hope the above will help. If you need further assistance please let me know.

Kind regards

Antony M

Advertisement