Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seriously bad problem!!!!!

• 03-03-2011 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Ok, my computer is less then a year old, bought Microsoft office 2010 at the same time.

I downloaded the sample office 2010 like the instructions said then put in my key code, everything was fine.

However after three months approx. of happiness word (and only word) suddenly starts freezing for no apparent reason, repeatedly one time after another.

Now I wouldn't mind but it does it in the middle of assignments which means I sometimes lose all my data after my last save. And even if that didn't happen it's stressful enough to do an assignment without having to restart word every five minutes. :(

I looked online and I couldn't find anyone with a similar problem.

After a week or two word settled down and seemed ok again.

Anyway, over the christmas holidays just past I forgot about the problem.
    Now I'm back in college, back doing assignments and the problem has returned.

It freezes to the point that my internet no longer works and my whole computer just stops and I'm force to manually shut it down.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?
    Or even better anyway to fix it?

I'm literally tearing my hair out so any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Are you sure it is Office freezing and not something else on your computer causing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Well it literally only happens when I use Microsoft word.

I've used powerpoint, excel, a stats program I need for college, ms paint and I use the internet for hours everyday and my computer never freezes.

I've had times when word doesn't freeze, recently my partner was using word for one of his own assignments (spent at least 4+ hours on it two days in a row) and it never froze once but when I went on it to do my assignment today after ten minutes, at the most, it froze:rolleyes::( (just like before).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

If it happens again, turn off your antivirus and try again. If that solves it, uninstall your antivirus and get a good one like AVG - www.grisoft.com

When I use it again and if it freezes I will try that.

I'm using avast! anti-virus at the moment, is it known to be problematic?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Also my I suggest Liber Office it's free an compatable with word documnets .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

OP have you tried to uninstall and then re-install Office?

To completely remove all office components use Revo Uninstaller.

You'll need to reboot after that. Uninstalling Office will not remove the .doc or any other files associated with the program.

Re-install and then try again.

Also you could have task manager open to diagnose the problem if\when it happens again. When it crashes look to the memory usage of the application.

I'd update your anti-virus and do a full system scan too. To be on the safe side.

EDIT: Also +1 for Libre Office. But that's only as a work around. Doesn't really address the OP's problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

In this situation I would normally do as said above.. Full uninstall reinstall, then patch it up from the office updates...

Where are you saving the word files to ? Is it possible there is an issue with where you are saving to ? (I know that you are not having issues with other apps, but it is worth questioning the disk that you are saving to)..

Hey thanks for all the help,

If I uninstall office how do I reinstall it?

I don't have a cd for it I only got the key code.
    I'm afraid if I uninstall it I'll lose it completely and I paid 100 euro for the thing :rolleyes:.

Maybe that's a completely irrational fear but I'm not very tech wise.

Anyway would someone mind giving me the steps for install/reinstall of office?

Cheers :D

In this situation I would normally do as said above.. Full uninstall reinstall, then patch it up from the office updates...

Where are you saving the word files to ? Is it possible there is an issue with where you are saving to ? (I know that you are not having issues with other apps, but it is worth questioning the disk that you are saving to)..

I save my files to 'my documents' in various folders within that and onto two usbs.

How would I patch it up from office updates?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Lyra Fangs wrote: »
    Hey thanks for all the help,

If I uninstall office how do I reinstall it?

I don't have a cd for it I only got the key code.
    I'm afraid if I uninstall it I'll lose it completely and I paid 100 euro for the thing :rolleyes:.

Maybe that's a completely irrational fear but I'm not very tech wise.

Anyway would someone mind giving me the steps for install/reinstall of office?

Cheers :D

I'm not 100% but I'm sure you can download the trial and then put in the activation code you bought. Don't do anything until that's confirmed by another poster though! Don't want you doing something off my advice and then getting stuck!
    I save my files to 'my documents' in various folders within that and onto two usbs.

How would I patch it up from office updates?

When you reinstall all you'd do is go to all programs and click on Microsoft Update. Or in office itself I think there's an option in the help menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

okay well to isolate the issue, and what I normally recommend ANYWAY.. is to always work from the copy on your hard drive... and then copy it back and forth to the USB hard drive ONLY when moving... (This way you always have a good backup on which ever of the PCs you were last working on, in case the USB gets robbed or corrupted)

As part of this test, work from the C: drive alone and see if you experience the same errors..

You can use Belarc Advisor to find your office code..
    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Download it, run it.. take a copy of the information, print it out and keep it safe (it will give you Windows codes, Office codes etc etc) ... then you can remove Belarc Advisor

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Are you working one one single document the whole time or does it happen with various documents of different sizes?

It's usually with documents I've been working on over a week or two. About 22 pages on average.

Advertisement