Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AVG protection against dodgy torrents?

• 04-03-2011 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have the full AVG Internet Security application and do regular computer scans. Will this give me full protection against viruses and malware originating from internet browsing, file downloads (including via torrent sites), instant messaging, plugging in USB drives and from attachments to inbound email?

I've always assumed once AVG was on the case I couldn't import anything dodgy as AVG would spot and isolate it but having read some recent posts on this forum I'm no longer so sure!!!

Go easy on me if I'm being a complete twit :o

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

BenEadir wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have the full AVG Internet Security application and do regular computer scans. Will this give me full protection against viruses and malware originating from internet browsing, file downloads (including via torrent sites), instant messaging, plugging in USB drives and from attachments to inbound email?

I've always assumed once AVG was on the case I couldn't import anything dodgy as AVG would spot and isolate it but having read some recent posts on this forum I'm no longer so sure!!!

Go easy on me if I'm being a complete twit :o

Ben
    it should protect you but you also should be vigilant ie:make sure AVG up to date,be carefull what you browsing on web & never open an email or attachment from unknown source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Anything you use could let something through if it's new enough and your unlucky enough to come across it before you get the update.

Malwarebytes and Superantispyware are good but the free versions don't scan in real-time, but that's grand. If you did want to buy one get Malwarebytes.

Use the above two and what you have already and you'll be fine, don't get to paranoid about it. Be careful what you click on and don't use an administrator account. There's a few other things on the next few threads to look at if you wanted to aswell. Use Firefox with these addons 1-No script, 2-Adblock plus (Don't use on your favourite sites, Boards needs ad money!!!) 3-Web of Trust (WOT)

You could look into Linux, ubuntu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭flutered

an ad blocker is a requirement, it has saved many a poor soul,

Advertisement