Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 2011 Map Update

Options
  • 04-03-2011 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

2011.40 is out.

travelled the M7, it seems the M7 map is still not updated with the opened Dublin to Limerick motorway (still redirects route to pass by Roscrea). haven't tested the other roads.

im using the 'freebie' map file a friend gave me (Uk & Ire only). gave life back to my Nuvi 255.

<Snip- Awaiting clarification>

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

leonil7 wrote: »

im using the 'freebie' map file a friend gave me

Can you please explain what you mean here?
    Garmin match maps to devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭leonil7

it says what it means- given freely. 'garmin match maps to devices' - not necessarily true in this case, the map is unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

Here's a set of very up to date free maps for Garmin:

http://www.talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm

These are generated from the Openstreetmap project, and are completely legit.
    A huge improvement for older Nuvi's with maps not worth updating.
    You copy them onto an SD card as GMAPSUPP.img

You can also update them yourself by contributing on the OpenStreetmap site.
    The maps linked in this post are updated every couple of weeks.
    Does not have good street number support, so you need to relearn how to route
    if you're not using them as an overlay on your original maps.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

leonil7 wrote: »
    it says what it means- given freely. 'garmin match maps to devices' - not necessarily true in this case, the map is unlocked.
    Legally?
    Can you provide a link to where Garmin supply these maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭leonil7

what is wrong with you koolkid? have i offended you or something that you seem to talk like a solicitor :confused: please read my post, im not discussing about legality or where to get this links. please remove the post as moderator if you feel uncomfortable. no offense taken. im just glad to be a part of the forum.

• Advertisement

You have not offened me at all.
    I would ask that you read over the forum charter.
    It is not allowed to discuss anything illegal.
    Garmins maps are not free. It is not legal to unlock and distribute them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement